Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

angor posted:

My local pizza place guy hooked me up with a fuckoff huge chunk of stone to cook pizzas on at home. This thing has been sitting around his shop for god knows how long and is pretty dirty. How should I go about cleaning it?

Just scrub it with lukewarm water. Whatever's left isn't dirty, it's flavour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hauki
May 11, 2010

GobiasIndustries posted:

Picked up some steaks yesterday with a sell-by date of 2/14. Took them out of the fridge today and both are turning brown/greyish. I opened the wrap on both and neither have an odor unless my nose is like, an inch away from them, and it's nothing that smells unpleasant to me. Slightly slimy but not much moreso than the parts that are still red. Are these good to cook if I do so tonight?

Should be fine.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Probably. A lot of beef at the grocery turns brown and goes unbought and tossed out despite being perfectly safe because it's just oxidation. If you can get over the grey/brown = gross reflex you can find a lot of decent beef on clearance just because of their color.

Because the color causes a lot of beef to be unbought, some places have resorted to packaging steaks in airtight containers with higher levels of carbon dioxide to keep them red longer. It's odd looking because they're way too candy apple red.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Feb 16, 2015

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

GobiasIndustries posted:

Picked up some steaks yesterday with a sell-by date of 2/14. Took them out of the fridge today and both are turning brown/greyish. I opened the wrap on both and neither have an odor unless my nose is like, an inch away from them, and it's nothing that smells unpleasant to me. Slightly slimy but not much moreso than the parts that are still red. Are these good to cook if I do so tonight?

Yup.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
I have a chicken neck, 2 livers, 1 gizzard, 2 drums and 2 breasts I probably should cook in the next 24 hours since they have been sitting in my fridge. Any ideas?

I have been eating congee for the last 5 days and it has been delicious!

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Adult Sword Owner posted:

I did this and it came out Really Well even if it's pretty basic. Threw in some vanilla ice cream and it was a great ending

Good to hear. Those apples are also nice with rice pudding.

Daedalus Esquire
Mar 30, 2008

Jan posted:

Just scrub it with lukewarm water. Whatever's left isn't dirty, it's flavour.

Alternatively, if it seems pretty gross or like it's just burnt on carbon and you want to get it back to scratch, I usually just run my oven on the clean cycle with the stone in it. Once it's done you just blow off the ash and have a stone that looks brand new.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

goodness posted:

I have a chicken neck, 2 livers, 1 gizzard, 2 drums and 2 breasts I probably should cook in the next 24 hours since they have been sitting in my fridge. Any ideas?

I have been eating congee for the last 5 days and it has been delicious!

Fried chicken.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Daedalus Esquire posted:

Alternatively, if it seems pretty gross or like it's just burnt on carbon and you want to get it back to scratch, I usually just run my oven on the clean cycle with the stone in it. Once it's done you just blow off the ash and have a stone that looks brand new.

I would hesitate running a clean cycle on your oven just to clean a dish. Even good ovens reduce their lifespans of the heat elements/fuses when it gets up to such a high temperature. There's just not appropriate airflow for the heat.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

I would just run it through the clean cycle, your oven probably needs to be cleaned anyways.

Daedalus Esquire
Mar 30, 2008
Yea, I don't really do a special run for the stone, but whenever I think about doing it, it just so happens the whole over could use it.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
Gave home made shenjianbao a shot. Cheated and used whop biscuit dough, which burned way too quickly and didn't steam properly. Meat mince wasn't sweet enough nor did it have a good texture. After adding the gelatin and stirring over and over it ended up being a meat slurry. Gonna ask my wife's aunt what her jiaozi filling and maybe use that, otherwise add some water chestnuts and more green onion to the mix.

First go was a failure. Even though I had the added gelatin they were not juicy in the slightest.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Jan posted:

I couldn't find masa harina and thought it was because of no direct translation to French, so I ended up buying corn flour. Then I found out it's not the same thing. :argh:

Anyway, can I still make tortillas with this stuff or am I stuck with some hippie flour substitute I won't ever use?

How coarse is the grind?

I would normally refer to what you have as "corn meal". Best thing to do is make corn bread in cast iron skillet.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

I would just run it through the clean cycle, your oven probably needs to be cleaned anyways.

Yes, my whole oven needs a clean, but it doesn't have a self clean cycle unfortunately. I scrubbed it with a damp cloth to get the gunk (mostly dust/grease from sitting around a pizza shop) off of it and dried it best I could. I've left it standing to air out and I'll run it through FibraMent's 'pre-drying' cycle tomorrow.

Pics of the hunk of stone:

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Squashy Nipples posted:

How coarse is the grind?

I would normally refer to what you have as "corn meal". Best thing to do is make corn bread in cast iron skillet.

It's from Bob's Red Mill, so same thing as I linked. I guess I'll try to make some cornbread next time I thaw some chili con carne, apparently good cornbread is amazing comfort food? But the only place I've had it is this bad Texas-style grill where the cornbread was dried out, the ribs moreso and the best thing on the menu was the collards. :gonk:

Jan fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Feb 16, 2015

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I bought a pork tenderloin at the store that was on sale. It's in a bag with the garlic something or another seasoning.

Should I just get my cast iron pan hot, sear it in some oil on both sides and then put it in the oven for about 15 minutes and then let it rest for 10? 350? 425? Haven't done one in a long time and don't remember how I did them before.

Probably make a pan of roasted red potatoes to go with it.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Bob Morales posted:

I bought a pork tenderloin at the store that was on sale. It's in a bag with the garlic something or another seasoning.

Should I just get my cast iron pan hot, sear it in some oil on both sides and then put it in the oven for about 15 minutes and then let it rest for 10? 350? 425? Haven't done one in a long time and don't remember how I did them before.

Probably make a pan of roasted red potatoes to go with it.

That's what I do with it, seared then pan roasted until it hits about 125-130 then left to rest for 10 minutes. It ends up a nice pink color and very juicy. For the potatoes I halve them, steam them and after the roast comes out and is resting I fry the potatoes cut side down in the pan used to roast the pork. Then I deglaze the pan at the end and pour the liquid over the pork and potatoes, unfortunately you need a stainless steel pan for the deglazing part.

Piso Mojado
Aug 6, 2013

Hey GWS, looking for ideas on how to make the perfect burrito using ingredients that I can actually find in a store/market in the midwest.

I could especially use help with ideas for tortillas, which are store bought/terrible, but I'm open to any suggestions/recipes at all. My burrito game is really weak.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Which state/city? There is very likely a hispanic market of some kind not too far away.

bartlebee
Nov 5, 2008
Just wanted to say thanks for the Valentine's suggestions earlier. I ended up going with the suggestion: http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/5069/cherry-tomato-and-caper-spaghetti

I upped the garlic, added salt and pepper, sautéed the sauce with some shrimp to finish it off, and then tossed it with linguine. Turned out great and the girlfriend loved it. Thanks!

Piso Mojado
Aug 6, 2013

nuru posted:

Which state/city? There is very likely a hispanic market of some kind not too far away.

We do have an Hispanic market but I've never been to it, and wouldn't know what even to look for.

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.
Chocolate fondue question:

So, I get a cup of heavy cream just simmering, reduce the heat very low, mix in 12 oz of 60% Ghirardelli chocolate and stir till incorporated. Then I mix in a tablespoon of Cointreau. Tastes amazing.

I have made this a few times, and every. loving. time. The chocolate breaks. Even when I am very careful to not over heat, or let water get in, it breaks. Is it the Cointreau addition? And if so, why does every recipe call for it? Am I adding it at the wrong time? gently caress.

Please GWS... Help me.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I've got the urge to make some Bourbon chicken and I was wondering if there's any goon favorite recipes. Got 2 lbs of chicken thighs (the correct cut imo), and plenty of soy sauce, but beyond that I'm lost.

E: I do have a couple good cast-iron pans, which I imagine I'll be using.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

7 Bowls of Wrath posted:

So, I get a cup of heavy cream just simmering, reduce the heat very low, mix in 12 oz of 60% Ghirardelli chocolate and stir till incorporated. Then I mix in a tablespoon of Cointreau. Tastes amazing.

I have made this a few times, and every. loving. time. The chocolate breaks. Even when I am very careful to not over heat, or let water get in, it breaks. Is it the Cointreau addition? And if so, why does every recipe call for it? Am I adding it at the wrong time? gently caress.

Please GWS... Help me.

Maybe the burner is still too hot? I'd say try a double boiler (or a heatproof glass/metal bowl over - not in - boiling water). Heavy cream is still like 70% or so water so I can't believe a little bit of extra water kills it. Only thing that's different is a bit of alcohol. Does the chocolate melt and you get a nice looking ganache first or does it never get smooth on you?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

ATCG posted:

We do have an Hispanic market but I've never been to it, and wouldn't know what even to look for.

Look for the things you want. It's just a market, I promise it won't be too weird. At the very least you'll get proper tortillas.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

7 Bowls of Wrath posted:

Please GWS... Help me.

Bring the cream to just under a boil pour it over the finely chopped chocolate in a bowl. Let it sit for a few minutes then stir it from the middle out until it's all incorporated and add your alcohol.
You shouldn't need to melt the chocolate at all.
If it does break a little extra cream should bring it back together or hit it with an immersion blender.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I was putting dishes away today and noticed this on my pan

My loving new pan, what is this black poo poo anyways?

Oh, it came from my new spatula. Thanks my brother's girlfriend's mom, I too see nothing wrong laying a non metal spatula on the rim of a hot pan. So what would be best to get this crap off my pan? I tried scraping it off but its doing a far more better job of scratching the metal then actually removing the... whatever material my spatula is made out of.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
It's nylon which is pretty hard when it's not hot. Umm. Maybe try scraping with a wood spatula or wooden chopstick. If that doesn't work, it's probably stuck for good.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

Leal posted:

Oh, it came from my new spatula. Thanks my brother's girlfriend's mom, I too see nothing wrong laying a non metal spatula on the rim of a hot pan. So what would be best to get this crap off my pan? I tried scraping it off but its doing a far more better job of scratching the metal then actually removing the... whatever material my spatula is made out of.

She put it down at least thrice, got to admire her perseverance.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
We've all done it, but we usually only do it once.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I leave my nylon poo poo laying on my hot pans all the time and they never melt. What the hell was she cooking?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Different nylons have different melting temperatures. Some melt at 500°F, some at 425°F. Most melt at 350°F.

On top of that, it depends what you were cooking. If you're cooking liquids the pan's never getting above 212°F, but less moist things can get to 400 or higher.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

That exoglass stuff is great.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00004SZ6Q/

10/10 would buy again.

Jan posted:

It's from Bob's Red Mill, so same thing as I linked. I guess I'll try to make some cornbread next time I thaw some chili con carne, apparently good cornbread is amazing comfort food? But the only place I've had it is this bad Texas-style grill where the cornbread was dried out, the ribs moreso and the best thing on the menu was the collards. :gonk:

Meh, I've had plenty of lovely cornbread in the US, too.

I like a 3-1 corn meal to white flour ratio. All-cornmeal is delicious, but some white flour gives it a nice bready quality. A lot of recipes I've seen online are 50/50.

Squashy Nipples fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Feb 17, 2015

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

bartlebee posted:

Just wanted to say thanks for the Valentine's suggestions earlier. I ended up going with the suggestion: http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/5069/cherry-tomato-and-caper-spaghetti

I upped the garlic, added salt and pepper, sautéed the sauce with some shrimp to finish it off, and then tossed it with linguine. Turned out great and the girlfriend loved it. Thanks!

Glad to hear it went well!

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:

goodness posted:

Can I reverse sear bone in prime rib or should I try a different cut?

And is a butane torch fine to use or will that make it taste weird?

Late to the party, but FYI you can get a "real" blowtorch for like $30-ish dollars. Pretty useful around the kitchen.

Epiphyte
Apr 7, 2006

I recently got an Anova and I was wondering if I can sous vide fish filets that I purchased already vacuum packed in the packing material.

Its obviously food safe plastic, but I don't know if it is suitable for actually doing the cooking in. Otherwise, I'll just ziploc them.

Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011
I don't know, probably best to ask the manufacturer. Not all plastics are food-safe when heated (which is why you shouldn't put ice cream containers in the microwave oven).

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Squashy Nipples posted:

That exoglass stuff is great.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00004SZ6Q/

10/10 would buy again.

Meh, I've had plenty of lovely cornbread in the US, too.

I like a 3-1 corn meal to white flour ratio. All-cornmeal is delicious, but some white flour gives it a nice bready quality. A lot of recipes I've seen online are 50/50.

I really like the round-edged Exoglass spoon. I've always enjoyed cooking with wooden spoons, especially ones with defined edges, but this is the ideal of that form. I'm going to pick up more Exoglass stuff in the future, I think.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

That's what I do with it, seared then pan roasted until it hits about 125-130 then left to rest for 10 minutes. It ends up a nice pink color and very juicy. For the potatoes I halve them, steam them and after the roast comes out and is resting I fry the potatoes cut side down in the pan used to roast the pork. Then I deglaze the pan at the end and pour the liquid over the pork and potatoes, unfortunately you need a stainless steel pan for the deglazing part.

Came out good. Next time the potatoes are getting some love under the broiler and I'm going to get the plain tenderloin and just season it myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invisible Ted
Aug 24, 2011

hhhehehe
What are you guys' staple breakfasts/weeknight dinners? I've gotten tired of over easy/scrambled eggs, toast and oatmeal. Dinners are usually a variation of rice, beans and chicken if not just the same breakfast food again. I'm going grocery shopping tomorrow and want to get out of this food rut, preferably with meals that are nutritious (low-fat isn't necessary) and either quick to make or easy to prepare ahead.