Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Storysmith
Dec 31, 2006

Jewel posted:

i mean ok get this, what if i send my private key (to someone to communicate with later) in 20 chunks of single characters via 20 different lovely disposable email services (alternatively for extra security using different computers at n different libraries or w/e)

is that security through obscurity

why would you need or want to send someone your private key tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewel
May 2, 2009

Storysmith posted:

why would you need or want to send someone your private key tho

w/e you know what i mean, the key to decrypt with. im not good with security!!! thats why im not a securist

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
oh okay

Storysmith
Dec 31, 2006

Jewel posted:

w/e you know what i mean, the key to decrypt with. im not good with security!!! thats why im not a securist

the point of public key crypto is that you have a pair of keys, one public and one private, and the person you're communicating with does too, so you'd send a thing encrypted with your private key and their public key and they can read it with their private key and see it matches your public key

if they have your public key they are for all intents and purposes you, and can forge messages in your name

Jewel
May 2, 2009

Storysmith posted:

the point of public key crypto is that you have a pair of keys, one public and one private, and the person you're communicating with does too, so you'd send a thing encrypted with your private key and their public key and they can read it with their private key and see it matches your public key

if they have your public key they are for all intents and purposes you, and can forge messages in your name

my post was in response to

Illusive gently caress Man posted:

yes. exchanging poo poo in advance (eg: gpg and key signing parties) is secure, but nobody wants to bother with that poo poo, and it's not really feasible in many of the circumstances where you would want to communicate secretly.

plus, if you can already communicate over some other channel that you consider secure, then you dont need a new secure connection.

basically

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

plus, if you can already communicate over some other channel that you consider secure, then you dont need a new secure connection.

this isn't really true because the secure channel might be time-limited or have really low bandwidth, such as a face-to-face conversation

Illusive Fuck Man
Jul 5, 2004
RIP John McCain feel better xoxo 💋 🙏
Taco Defender

vOv posted:

this isn't really true because the secure channel might be time-limited or have really low bandwidth, such as a face-to-face conversation

yeah, in which case you're kinda back to a key exchange/signing party scenario.

Jewel posted:

i mean ok get this, what if i send my private key (to someone to communicate with later) in 20 chunks of single characters via 20 different lovely disposable email services (alternatively for extra security using different computers at n different libraries or w/e)

is that security through obscurity

not even sure what this is all about. are you saying to a person "im gonna send you my public key from all these random rear end email addresses"? why not just say "my public key fingerprint is piss:poo poo:balls". If you aren't telling them anything beforehand, why do they trust that it's 'you' sending them this public key?

honestly though, if you're posting on this forum nobody gives a poo poo about anythign you have to say. just rot13 and call it a night

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.

"my public key fingerprint is piss:poo poo:balls"

mods?

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
My private key is eight.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Rufus Ping posted:

everyone stop what youre doing

the virus is literally called Fanny

FANNY

quote:

fanny means vag in the uk xD lol

:stare:

MORE CURLY FRIES
Apr 8, 2004

Rufus Ping posted:

everyone stop what youre doing

the virus is literally called Fanny

FANNY

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
bob's your uncle, fanny's your aunt

N.Z.'s Champion
Jun 8, 2003

Yam Slacker

spankmeister posted:

Read most of this and :vince:

quote:

This PHP script provides a multitude of interesting information about the attacks.
It was first designed to work as part of vBulletin, a commercial forum platform.

:tinfoil:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner

don't worry the NSA only targets vbulletin releases from 2002 and later

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Wheany posted:

bob's your uncle, fanny's your aunt

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibuLgsVcQUY

MORE CURLY FRIES
Apr 8, 2004

people complained about that advert because fanny is a word for vagina but they dont realise its also a name i guess??????

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

those people just have sand in their fannies

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

bicycle posted:

mods change bicycle's name to fanny.lnk

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
i always thought fanny meant butt

MORE CURLY FRIES
Apr 8, 2004

this is why fanny pack is funny

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.
it means butt in the us and pussy in the uk (and by extension probably australia)

there's a comic by grant morrison that features a transvestite shaman named "lord fanny" and it was a long time before i realized that the two meanings is actually part of the joke

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
fanny computer

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
http://arstechnica.com/security/2015/02/password-cracking-experts-decipher-elusive-equation-group-crypto-hashes/

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

quote:

The stashing of malicious files in multiple branches of an infected computer's registry. By encrypting all malicious files and storing them in multiple branches of a computer's Windows registry, the infection was impossible to detect using antivirus software.

holy poo poo how insane do you have to be to come up with something like this

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

i once saw a video of someone putting a fag in their fanny

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Main Paineframe posted:

that's ingenious

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

quote:

Researchers for Moscow-based Kaspersky Lab spent more than two weeks trying to crack the MD5 hash using a computer that tried more than 300 billion plaintext guesses every second. After coming up empty-handed, they enlisted the help of password-cracking experts, both privately and on Twitter, in hopes they would do better. Password crackers Jens Steube and Philipp Schmidt spent only a few hours before figuring out the plaintext behind the hash e6d290a03b70cfa5d4451da444bdea39 was غير مسجل, which is Arabic for "unregistered". The hex-encoded string for the same Arabic word is dbedd120e3d3cce1.

"Our idea was, if the first hash means 'unregistered' in English, would it be possible that the second hash means 'unregistered' as well, but in Arabic?" Steube said. "So we tried to download some Arabic expansion packs for [website commment app] vBulletin, which is the forum software that was attacked here."
:cripes:

MORE CURLY FRIES
Apr 8, 2004

vOv posted:

the whole point of key exchanges like DH is that they're secure against passive eavesdroppers. if you use DH over a channel that can be modified and then verify the key over a modification-proof channel you're fine.

oh also i missed this

i was talking about people saying talking face to face or on the phone is secure because no one can change the info

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

NICE!

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

MORE CURLY FRIES posted:

oh also i missed this

i was talking about people saying talking face to face or on the phone is secure because no one can change the info

isn't the only concern gonna be modification of the public key, tho

public key encryption basically already assumes anyone knows your public key (hence the name public), but the public key is useless for reading your messages

like, if someone tapped my line and heard my say my public key, it doesn't help them impersonate me. and assuming we're both using the encryption, it wouldn't help them fool me either because they can't sign the message as the other guy

the danger is that the MITM can intercept and change your keys, instead passing along a 3rd public key. that would allow them to get both sides to encrypt their data in a form that could be decrypted by the server in the middle.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

aw man I left a GPU cracker running all night trying to see if I'd be the lucky little boy to win the NSA's impromptu crack challenge :(

anyway,

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Heresiarch posted:

it means butt in the us and pussy in the uk (and by extension probably australia)

there's a comic by grant morrison that features a transvestite shaman named "lord fanny" and it was a long time before i realized that the two meanings is actually part of the joke

this explains a lot of british humor i never cared to understand before

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

lol they shlda used https://github.com/ikkebr/PyBozoCrack (ofc now thats its been strewn all over the web we'll never know if bozo wlda worked)

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

cheese-cube posted:

lol they shlda used https://github.com/ikkebr/PyBozoCrack (ofc now thats its been strewn all over the web we'll never know if bozo wlda worked)

I tried it (or well, a web service that does the same thing), it did not. When I tried it I also tried just googling it and there were only 7 results, and like 4 of those were just the source code of the original script and the other 3 were articles.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

ok ive just read the article and im confused by a number of things. why does vbulletin need "expansion packs" for utf-8 support? and am i to understand that kaspersky wasted weeks simply hashing ASCII strings to see if they matched the hash in question? instead of doing the same with utf-8 strings?

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

cheese-cube posted:

ok ive just read the article and im confused by a number of things. why does vbulletin need "expansion packs" for utf-8 support? and am i to understand that kaspersky wasted weeks simply hashing ASCII strings to see if they matched the hash in question? instead of doing the same with utf-8 strings?

translation packs?

there are a shitload (∞, to be exact) of 7-bit ascii strings, and whatever model they used to generate candidates for hashing only made those

a model that outputs utf-8 strings is gonna be way more complicated

imagine a dictionary of all the words in all the languages

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

Main Paineframe posted:

the risk is getting your bootstrap executable (can't execute straight from the registry, still need a program somewhere) caught and fingerprinted

e: but the registry gets so much traffic it's pretty much impossible to audit, anyway

hackbunny fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Feb 17, 2015

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

crazysim posted:

don't cpus have that whole microcode update thing provided by the OS? there's also evidence they are signed updates too.

i'm guessing that's really only rolled out on the factory line and to people having issues but really want to save a few bucks and keep the drive they're running.

i don't think hard drives have such a thing but i wouldn't be surprised if hard drive firmwares start becoming signed pieces of software as well with updates handled by the os vendor. that's the change i foresee. has apple ever rolled out a ssd firmware update or have they not reached that point?

that's pretty much how big storage vendors like netapp have been handling it for years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

quote:

GRAYFISH The most sophisticated attack platform from the EQUATION group. It resides completely in the registry, relying on a bootkit to gain execution at OS startup.

ok, it makes more sense now. also:

quote:

The GrayFish loader uses SHA-256 one thousand times over the unique NTFS object ID of the victims Windows folder to decrypt the next stage from the registry.

that's... cool. we thought about hiding in the registry, but never to bootstrap from a bootkit (were they even a thing in 2005?) and never thought of object ids as machine identifiers

• Locked thread