Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Harry in Rio posted:

jesus christ univox made some ugly rear end amps (i have this rig, but with two of the 1205 cabs)

theres not enough cartoony amps in the world

when orange amps are the wacky ones for being orange theres a problem

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

ASK ME ABOUT VISITING PROSTITUTES IN CHINA AND FEELING NO SHAME. MY FRIEND IS SERIOUSLY THE (PATHETIC) YODA OF PAYING WOMEN TO TOUCH HIS (AND MY) DICK. THEY WOULDN'T DO IT OTHERWISE.
Clown colored amps are great for girl bands - I have no idea how a grown man thinks having a tacky rear end orange colored amp in his house is ever respectable. Let alone walking into a gig and setting that gay thing on stage. So far, I've never seen anyone do it for reals. You gotta be a total bedroom rocker to walk past Marshall, Peavey, and Blackstar and say "Hmmm, yes. Orange is the best choice here and it looks so good. " The bright color causes knee-jerk purchases I think.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

ZombieParts posted:

Clown colored amps are great for girl bands - I have no idea how a grown man thinks having a tacky rear end orange colored amp in his house is ever respectable. Let alone walking into a gig and setting that gay thing on stage. So far, I've never seen anyone do it for reals. You gotta be a total bedroom rocker to walk past Marshall, Peavey, and Blackstar and say "Hmmm, yes. Orange is the best choice here and it looks so good. " The bright color causes knee-jerk purchases I think.

you know you rarely see a such a fine specimen poo poo post out in the wild.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
Are there any other recommended brands of contact cleaner than Deoxit? In the UK amazon has a 142ml can listed at £24.50 while Halfords own brand is £3.99 for 400ml. Hell even Servisol seems cheap from maplins at 200ml for £4.99.

I'm assuming pots and switches need the contact cleaner + lube combo and not just contact cleaner right?

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

ZombieParts posted:

Amp colors are serious business.

<---- plays on a red mustang III

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

I can't even tell if he's being ironic or something.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
fwiw i would buy that amp and the goofiest dano i could find and play in an otherwise all girl twee band

I'm Crap
Aug 15, 2001

ZombieParts posted:

ah yes, girl bands and bedroom rockers like Swans, Neurosis, Boris and PJ Harvey

Agrinja
Nov 30, 2013

Praise the Sun!

Total Clam

Verizian posted:

Are there any other recommended brands of contact cleaner than Deoxit? In the UK amazon has a 142ml can listed at £24.50 while Halfords own brand is £3.99 for 400ml. Hell even Servisol seems cheap from maplins at 200ml for £4.99.

I'm assuming pots and switches need the contact cleaner + lube combo and not just contact cleaner right?

I am a huge fan of MG Chemicals Electrosolve, though for moving parts like that, yes, you might wish to use a lubricated contact cleaner, although your issue is probably more oxidation than lubrication. Unsure of the UK prices, though. If you can get this stuff, seriously, do it. It renders things perfectly clean with no residue, no plastic melting, no funny business. A spritz, it's clean. It's like magic in a can.

http://www.amazon.com/MG-Chemicals-Electrosolve-Residue-Contact/dp/B008UH3Q8S

E: Elaboration

Agrinja fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Feb 16, 2015

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
The original problem wasn't from my post. I just have an ibanez gio with a scratchy volume pot and a shed being built so I'll have room for proper electronics tinkering. Figured I should get some contact cleaner but both deoxit and the brand you mentioned are over £20 for a small can over here. I just wanted to make sure that there wasn't a massive quality gap between deoxit and other brands that could justify paying five times more for less than half by volume.

Agrinja
Nov 30, 2013

Praise the Sun!

Total Clam
Ah, no, no huge quality gap, although I'd avoid the stuff they sell at Radio Shack or the equivalent, Maplin? Unsure who makes it, it's Radio Shack's house brand, and it's kinda garbage.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
I dunno if maplin makes their own brand, Servisol seems to get good reviews though. All I could find earlier searching for guitar contact cleaner was lots of people raving about how good Deoxit was.

Now back to your regularly scheduled lovely guitar jpegs. I mean I'd like to make a 3D printed guitar but I wouldn't stick a bigsby on it. Filtertrons and semi hollow maybe.

http://www.odd.org.nz/americangraffiti.html

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Did anyone ever succesfully obtain one of those acrylic guitars?

TheChaosPath
Jul 22, 2005

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

everythingWasBees posted:

Did anyone ever succesfully obtain one of those acrylic guitars?

no but my birthday's in april and i'm planning on getting a clear jem for the hell of it, no headstock logo, if i'm gonna buy a dumb guitar i may as well go whole hog

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Dewgy posted:

no but my birthday's in april and i'm planning on getting a clear jem for the hell of it, no headstock logo, if i'm gonna buy a dumb guitar i may as well go whole hog
Then you should buy a Les Paul.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
already got two!

also the acrylic LPs don't glow

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

Dewgy posted:

already got two!

also the acrylic LPs don't glow

happy birthday dewgy! get a jem and name it faustus. or dont because he would probably jerk off to it. really just dont buy a jem and get a neat sg

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Proud luthier shows off his work

This would be cool with ants suspended in the acrylic like amber.

Actuary X
Jul 20, 2007

Not really the best actuary in the world.

I had to poke around his website and see that he also built a bass guitar in the same style as the acoustic, and taking things to their logical conclusion, this thing.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

dude near me is selling an OLP licensed stingray clone with a broken nut for £30 and its extremely tempting

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

ASK ME ABOUT VISITING PROSTITUTES IN CHINA AND FEELING NO SHAME. MY FRIEND IS SERIOUSLY THE (PATHETIC) YODA OF PAYING WOMEN TO TOUCH HIS (AND MY) DICK. THEY WOULDN'T DO IT OTHERWISE.

I'm Crap posted:

ah yes, girl bands and bedroom rockers like Swans, Neurosis, Boris and PJ Harvey

You bought a clown amp?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
i love my dead gay clown

Fair Hallion
Jul 25, 2007

:toot: :toot: :toot: :toot:

Actuary X posted:

and taking things to their logical conclusion, this thing.

I was actually intrigued by that - would've liked to hear the crazy noises it'd make

BUT it's listed under "Sculpture" instead of the "Musical Instruments" section

so I'm guessing it isn't wired to do anything and actually does gently caress ALL

also, I have an amp of colour

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

ZombieParts posted:

You bought a clown amp?

just how many points do your guitars have on average?

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

bunky posted:

happy birthday dewgy! get a jem and name it faustus. or dont because he would probably jerk off to it. really just dont buy a jem and get a neat sg

an SG is one of those few guitars i really don't have any interest in owning but i dunno why, there's nothing wrong with them per se, i just get no gear lust from them at all

Snowy posted:

Proud luthier shows off his work

YES. this plus some new pups from GFS is what i'm talkin' about

and the included kid can lug my stuff around for me! i can't lose!

quote:

This would be cool with ants suspended in the acrylic like amber.

was also tempted to get a steinberger knockoff in this color

crashdome
Jun 28, 2011
I owned a zebra print Randall for a few years and I miss it a little bit.

I'm just going to glue various rock and soils to an instrument and call it organic.

memy
Oct 15, 2011

by exmarx

I'm Crap posted:

Swans used to have a girl
Boris is 1/3 female
PJ Harvey is a girl

Checkmate
:smug:

W424
Oct 21, 2010

memy posted:

Swans used to have a girl
Boris is 1/3 female
PJ Harvey is a girl

Checkmate
:smug:

Neurosis did an album with Jarboe.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
I think the point was that they're bands that aren't exclusively defined by the genders of who's in them; and bands who also have awesome taste.

Shitlord. :colbert:

Edit: on a similar note, I've always wanted an Orange and I decided to try the OR-15 this weekend since it was on sale for $500. It had okay cleans (as in passable, but not as good as a Vox) a great crunch tone; but I couldn't get along with it once the gain got pass noon. It was too high gain, too modern, and made me feel like I should have been playing Meshuggah despite the fact that I try and play indie-type stuff. I didn't find any sounds I wanted that I couldn't get with my Voxes; and the territory I didn't have already I didn't want.

But I would still recommend that head to anybody who plays Hard Rock without any reservations. It was a good head with a great sound, I just didn't need it.

I still have some Orange GAS, I hear that those Rockerverbs have a good vintage-y tone...

Adeline Weishaupt fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Feb 17, 2015

I'm Crap
Aug 15, 2001

umalt posted:

I think the point was that they're bands that aren't exclusively defined by the genders of who's in them; and bands who also have awesome taste.
and bands where the idea of calling them bedroom rockers is laughable.

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

Smash it Smash hit posted:

just how many points do your guitars have on average?

I've got the high score

umalt posted:

Shitlord. :colbert:

Edit: on a similar note, I've always wanted an Orange and I decided to try the OR-15 this weekend since it was on sale for $500. It had okay cleans (as in passable, but not as good as a Vox) a great crunch tone; but I couldn't get along with it once the gain got pass noon. It was too high gain, too modern, and made me feel like I should have been playing Meshuggah despite the fact that I try and play indie-type stuff. I didn't find any sounds I wanted that I couldn't get with my Voxes; and the territory I didn't have already I didn't want.

But I would still recommend that head to anybody who plays Hard Rock without any reservations. It was a good head with a great sound, I just didn't need it.

I still have some Orange GAS, I hear that those Rockerverbs have a good vintage-y tone...

Rockerverbs are a high gain amp. The OR15 you played is the Vintage sounding one and you just said you couldn't get a sound you liked out of it but you're willing to recommend it. That's hosed up. And comparing it to Meshuggah..omg they use Line6 POD for their distortions. Dear Mr Clown Amp apologist, these amps are always passable at best. Doesn't matter which Orange you ugly up the house with, when you start dialing in sounds, there are better amps for that sound. Clean sound? Yeah, it can. But there are better amps for it. Dirty? Yeah, it can - but there are better amps. Metal? Can, but same story. It does a whole bunch of ok and decent sounds that can be outdone by better and more distinctly voiced amps that don't look like poo poo.

At the end of the day, people buy Orange because they wrongly choose to like the way it looks, it seems completely passable when they play it in the store, and they have human being taste in amps.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

except orange cabs kick the poo poo out of practically anyone elses so

W424
Oct 21, 2010

ZombieParts posted:

At the end of the day, people buy Orange because they wrongly choose to like the way it looks, it seems completely passable when they play it in the store, and they have human being taste in amps.

I have a Orange cab and Peavey 6505 head (the faggiest amp).

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Orange amps own.
I love mine.

I'm sorry you dislike the color of their amps and cabs! Did you know you can get them in black instead?

Maybe you should try a black one.

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway.when you had sex with me and that monkey
Soiled Meat
drat split-tails loving be loving up amps with their vulvas and poo poo, gently caress that noise bro.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

ZombieParts posted:

Rockerverbs are a high gain amp. The OR15 you played is the Vintage sounding one and you just said you couldn't get a sound you liked out of it but you're willing to recommend it. That's hosed up. And comparing it to Meshuggah..omg they use Line6 POD for their distortions. Dear Mr Clown Amp apologist, these amps are always passable at best. Doesn't matter which Orange you ugly up the house with, when you start dialing in sounds, there are better amps for that sound. Clean sound? Yeah, it can. But there are better amps for it. Dirty? Yeah, it can - but there are better amps. Metal? Can, but same story. It does a whole bunch of ok and decent sounds that can be outdone by better and more distinctly voiced amps that don't look like poo poo.

The AD200B sounds killer on bass, it's very hard to find a 200w bass head that is worth a drat. And, I dig 200w on bass much more than 300w. Rockerverb is a very decent amp and while alot of the stuff they produce is much more modern than I like, their old rigs are super awesome and have lots of character.

but their look is definitely apart of their appeal, and I think they look p rad. It's better than a peavey where it sounds OK and looks like poo poo with their pointy ugly-rear end logos.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Stux posted:

except orange cabs kick the poo poo out of practically anyone elses so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

other than like zilla anyway, but if you have an issue with gaudy colours etc well then

• Locked thread