Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Well its a West Marches system so there's plenty of reason for alts to be adventuring on their own, off camera, so to speak, and to be swapped in and out of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

FRINGE posted:

Huh. Never tried that but I like the sound of it.

The non-silly rules limiting it were along the lines of "no more than 4 proteges per PC, ever" and "no more than half your xp/session can be sent to proteges".

The sillier rules were things like your xp "sent" converts at different rates (never 1:1, I think the best was 4:3) depending on how you communicate your lessons to your protege (face-to-face, letter, messenger, etc) and how long it takes to arrive and then a giant clusterfuck about how having your protege along as an NPC works, how to convert hirelings and henchmen into proteges, etc. You don't need all that stuff in D&D.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Elendil004 posted:

Ou

Our wizard summoned a phantasmal force, and since our wizard is a diviner, ensured that the dragon tanked his saving throws, trivializing the encounter. I did knock down two party members in the opening acid breath, but didn't kill anyone. Oh well.

I wasn't in such a good position to fight the dragon. Half the party drank invis potions and ran off. The rest of us ate acid.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

If a monster says, "The target is grappled." as part of an attack, does it still mean a roll off or is that automatic and PC can try to escape on his round?

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Elendil004 posted:

If a monster says, "The target is grappled." as part of an attack, does it still mean a roll off or is that automatic and PC can try to escape on his round?

Sounds like the effect is automatic so the PC needs to escape in their round.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Elendil004 posted:

"Grappled" is a condition. The language "...the target is Grappled" implies that there's no rolls involved.

In the monster building section of the DMG (page 278), there's a box about attack riders that says

quote:

Many monsters have attacks that do more than deal damage. Some effects that can be added to an attack to give it a flavorful twist include:
* Having the monster grapple the target on a hit.

That seems to confirm that "on a hit... ...target is grappled" is an automatic grapple if the attack hits.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Improving the Monster Quick Stats Table

The basic idea for the 5E's CR system is: A single monster of CR x should be an appropriate challenge for 4 player-characters of level x.

I thought "if that's the baseline, then shouldn't it also be true that a single monster of CR x-4 should be an appropriate challenge for a single player-character of level x?"

As corollaries of the idea, I was already able to previously figure out that 5E still uses the same "players have a 60% chance to hit a same-level monster, while monsters have a 40% chance to hit a same-level player" paradigm that existed in 4th Edition (and possibly 3rd, though I didn't check that far back).

Step 1: Hit Points

The conclusion I came to was that if 5E had already inherited all those other design decisions, then we could try applying the "4 hits to kill" ratio to avoid the 5E DMG's pitfall of DMG-created monsters being big boring bags of HP.

So I began with a few baselines for a "standard" character:

* A Fighter
* with their primary stat set to 15 STR using the standard array
* 15 STR becomes 16 STR due to being a human, for a +3 modifier
* 16 STR increases to 18 STR by level 4, for a +4 modifier
* 18 STR increases to 20 STR by level 8, for a +5 modifier
* It is assumed that all other Ability Score Improvements are used to either buy better stats elsewhere, or to buy additional feats, in keeping with the 3rd Edition idea that a Fighter is entitled to more of those instead of actual abilities
* a 1d8 weapon is being used as the best one-handed martial weapon - if the Fighter chooses to dual-wield or use a two-handed weapon, then their damage goes up, so the monster dies quicker, which is good and to be expected since they made a conscious choice to want to deal more damage. Otherwise, they could use a shield, which trades away the better damage of dual-wielding/two-handed weapons for increased AC
* The Fighter earns his extra attacks at levels 5, 11, 16, 20, and this is factored into his Damage-per-Round
* Monster HP is therefore set at [Damage-per-Round * 4]

The big, big assumption I am making here is that the Extra Attacks of a Fighter are roughly equivalent to all other class abilities. That's basically what a Champion already is, so I don't think it's too out there.

That gives us the following table:

So far so good - we've accomplished the goal of creating monsters with significantly less HP than what the DMG recommends, and while there are some levels that have exactly the same HP levels because our standard character hasn't increased his baseline performance, that can be smoothed out like so:

Step 2: Armor Class

For AC, the DMG's suggested stats already give us a good baseline:

Being more precise about a 60% chance-to-hit would require a +1 bump to AC across the board. There's a few places where it looks like the table is off by 2 AC or more, but it's just because of a mismatch in exactly when a player is supposed to increase their primary stat modifier, since we're still only off by 1 at level 20.

Step 3: Attack Bonus

For a monster's attack bonus, it becomes much trickier: The problem is that proficiency does not apply to player AC, and the player has no means of increasing their AC outside of class abilities, which leaves us with three main options:

1. Halt monster attack progression at +5 by level 4, giving monsters a 40% chance to hit against AC 18
2. Take the DMG's recommended monster attack progression, and assume that the DM will hand out a total of +5 AC from magic items over the course of the game such that players will top-out at AC 23
3. Take the DMG's recommended monster attack progression, but do not hand out additional AC from items, and simply assume that players will be able to deal with the increased monster hit chance. A level 20 monster would have a 65% chance to hit a player with AC 18

I chose to simply keep the DMG's attack progression, with notes on when a player would be "owed" additional AC if the DM wants to play it that way.

Step 4: Damage (per round)

This requires that we establish some more assumptions for our baseline character

* CON stat set to 14 using the standard array
* 14 becomes 15 due to being human, for a +2 modifier
* 15 becomes 17 by level 12, for a +3 modifier
* 17 becomes 19 by level 16, for a +4 modifier
* 19 becomes 20 by level 20, for a +5 modifier
* Maximum HP at level 1 is [10 + CON modifier], with subsequent levels giving an additional [6 + CON modifier] HP
* Healing from Hit Dice is [6 + CON modifier], with 1 Hit Die at level 1, and 1 additional Hit Dice being gained per level

This gives us the following chart:

But watch what happens if I take the Damage-Per-Round numbers from the DMG, and divide it against the player's total HP reserves:

This is a problem. The damage numbers are still roughly calibrated with an assumption that a monster can kill a player in 4 hits, but without 4th Edition's healing surges, there is no way that that model is going to work - since the damage numbers are including the healing you can get from hit dice, the players are going to be tapped out after one fight no matter what. They can probably stretch it out to 2 or 3 fights if they kill monsters before they ever get their 4 licks in, but certainly not the 6 to 8 encounters recommended by the rules.

Instead, I would recommend recalibrating the DPR numbers against a player's maximum HP only, disregarding their Hit Dice healing:

And that leaves us with this final chart:

To-do / To-follow: Saving throws

gradenko_2000 fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Feb 17, 2015

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Holy poo poo that looks awesome.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I find myself giving a poo poo about a formula.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...

gradenko_2000 posted:

So far so good - we've accomplished the goal of creating monsters with significantly less HP than what the DMG recommends, and while there are some levels that have exactly the same HP levels because our standard character hasn't increased his baseline performance, that can be smoothed out like so:

What orifice was this part pulled out of? Or is there some sort of methodology at work here?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

P.d0t posted:

What orifice was this part pulled out of? Or is there some sort of methodology at work here?

On the left column you'll find that there are "dead levels" where monster HP doesn't go up because our baseline Fighter hasn't increased his damage any.

And then when he does earn more damage via increased STR or an extra attack, expected HP takes a jump.

All I did was take the difference between the current HP level and the next "breakpoint", and then divide it between all the dead levels.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
You should throw down some eighth, quarter, half CRs too.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

30.5 Days posted:

You should throw down some eighth, quarter, half CRs too.

The "level 1" monster is already roughly equivalent to the CR 1/4 monster:

Original DMG's CR 1/4 monster:
13 AC, 43 HP, +3 attack, 4.5 DPR

Revised as a level 1:
14 AC, 30 HP, +3 attack, 3 DPR

And then the CR 1/2 monster is the level 2 monster.

No CR 1/8, but you're probably looking at something like [13 AC, 15 HP, +3 attack, 1.5 DPR]

Besides rejiggering the stats so that they're less big boring bags of HP*, the idea was to re-align the stats to a player's level so that you encounter design can be the standard "1 same level monster for every PC"

* Technically they're only big boring bags of HP because I'm lifting the stats straight off the table instead of going through the 20-step monster creation process, which should result in HP and DPR adjustments up and down the table, but who wants to do that.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"
Just got this.

Tote-al party kill.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Step 5: Saving Throws

The best saving throw that a target can come up with would be if it's against their primary attribute AND they're proficient at it, which would give them a 65% chance to save and this would keep pace exactly with a spellcaster's spellcasting attribute and proficiency bonus (basically roll an 8 or better to save).

At the same time, the proficiency bonus of a spell comprises somewhere between 40-50% of the total saving throw bonus.

Instead of trying to come up with a way to capture the 12 different ways that a saving throw could go, my idea for abbreviating the process would be to have a Best / Good / Bad system: the best would be the primary stat+proficiency as I had mentioned, a Good saving throw that's 66% of Best to represent either a tertiary stat with proficiency or a high stat without proficiency, and a Bad saving throw that's 33% of best to represent no proficiency and a non-primary stat. It should be familiar to veterans of the Fort/Ref/Will save, and is quick-and-dirty enough that you can make your mind up on the spot for what the save is going to be as the Wizard casts their spell.

That leaves us with this final table:

By request I also threw in a Minion / rough CR 1/8 equivalent in there. The DPR margin against a level 1's HP is so low that that should actually be 1 DPR.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

The basic idea for the 5E's CR system is: A single monster of CR x should be an appropriate challenge for 4 player-characters of level x.

I thought "if that's the baseline, then shouldn't it also be true that a single monster of CR x/4 should be an appropriate challenge for a single player-character of level x?"

I don't think that follows, since the action economy makes things scale nonlinearly.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Tunicate posted:

I don't think that follows, since the action economy makes things scale nonlinearly.

It does follow for monsters that are intended to be fought in groups, just not solos or elites. And also the CR system already tries to make these nonequal things be equal so even if you try to use gredenko's system for elites and solos, it's still an improvement.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

30.5 Days posted:

It does follow for monsters that are intended to be fought in groups, just not solos or elites. And also the CR system already tries to make these nonequal things be equal so even if you try to use gredenko's system for elites and solos, it's still an improvement.

Perhaps I'm misreading? It seems silly that a single CR 5 monster would be an appropriate challenge for a single level 20 character. From the table the level 20 fighter should have the ability to kill it in one round (48 DPR vs 45 HP).

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Tunicate posted:

Perhaps I'm misreading? It seems silly that a single CR 5 monster would be an appropriate challenge for a single level 20 character. From the table the level 20 fighter should have the ability to kill it in one round (48 DPR vs 45 HP).

So what you're saying is that a level 20 character isn't equal to four level 5 characters? I don't get if you're saying that 4 level 5 characters should be stronger than a level 20 character for the purposes of balance or vice versa.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
So my wife got me the 5e DMG for Valentine's Day because I had it on my wish list. This is good - it represents probably all the money we'll spend on 5e!

Anyway, I was flipping through and was super excited when I saw a heading for "chase rules." I thought, "Wow, maybe this isn't so bad!"

Nope. It's that bad. It starts by mumbling something about making chases exciting... and then utterly fails to do so.

Its big "innovation"? Limiting the number of Dash actions you can take by your Con bonus. And then you can take Exhaustion levels after that as if that's ever a good idea. Hilariously, it says you can take no more than 5 because your speed is zero at that point; what it fails to mention is how your speed was already halved at 2, so why are you still making dash actions, dummy?

It even suggests a map. Because you see, this is a simulation-minded broken D&D-player's idea of how a chase scene should work. (I'd argue it requires one, since so much is based on keeping the quarry in LoS.)

Now, in total fairness, there are "random event" tables. (Bad ones, that would get repetitive after even a short chase with 6 participants.) But man... It's the least-exciting chase rules I've ever seen, full of measuring, mapping, and table rolls.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Kitchner posted:

So what you're saying is that a level 20 character isn't equal to four level 5 characters? I don't get if you're saying that 4 level 5 characters should be stronger than a level 20 character for the purposes of balance or vice versa.

I'm saying that

quote:

a single monster of CR x/4 should be an appropriate challenge for a single player-character of level x
doesn't match up with the math, since as far as I can see a single player character of level 20 is able to kill a single monster of CR 5 without any real challenge.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Can I just opine that CR is a stupid idea that there's really no point to trying to make work? Like, if the only attributes present were Damage Per Round, HP, Attack Bonus and AC, then yes, it could be calculated pretty easy. Or if you only had to calculate CR for one specific party's class/race combos.

But since that's not the case, I think it's kind of a fool's errand to try and get it to work, without a bunch of caveats of the size of a small novella("CR is increased by one if the party has no arcane casters, by two if the party has neither arcane or divine casters, by ten if the entire party conists of bards.." etc. etc.).

IT BEGINS
Jan 15, 2009

I don't know how to make analogies

PurpleXVI posted:

Can I just opine that CR is a stupid idea that there's really no point to trying to make work? Like, if the only attributes present were Damage Per Round, HP, Attack Bonus and AC, then yes, it could be calculated pretty easy. Or if you only had to calculate CR for one specific party's class/race combos.

But since that's not the case, I think it's kind of a fool's errand to try and get it to work, without a bunch of caveats of the size of a small novella("CR is increased by one if the party has no arcane casters, by two if the party has neither arcane or divine casters, by ten if the entire party conists of bards.." etc. etc.).

It's not necessarily a bad idea, and it's very useful if you have a balanced game. The problem is Next gives characters very unequal access to combat abilities. In some games a party of four rogues might only be 90% as effective as a party of four clerics, in which case even with more complex stats than AC/AB/HP/DPR, DR can still be a very pertinent figure.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I always thought it was meant to be CR-4 not CR/4

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

goatface posted:

I always thought it was meant to be CR-4 not CR/4

Ah, that would make more sense. Or by CR 'steps', to account for fractionals.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Tunicate posted:

Ah, that would make more sense. Or by CR 'steps', to account for fractionals.

Yeah, they're not CRs, they're 4E-style "levels". So it's not a CR20 monster, it's a level 20 monster from which to build a CR20 encounter. It's not a perfect system since tougher monsters should have other stuff going on, but if you're trying to make a level 6 encounter of standardized mooks it's an awful lot better than the existing rules.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Oops, yeah, I totally mistyped that: CR-4, not CR/4. I was just thinking of "four CR 1/4s to one level 1" and got confused.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
So in my session tonight I plan on running a scam to fleece peasants out of some cash by using a bag of lizard penises I harvested off some lizard men that we killed.

Apparently according to some people on these forums, this is a lack of poor judgement on my DM's part. Personally I look forward to making a handful of gold coins.

Littlefinger
Oct 13, 2012
You wanted to post that to g.txt, right?

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Kitchner posted:

this is a lack of poor judgement on my DM's part
Is that the thing you meant to type?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
So if nobody has ever played D&D with strict exp tracking in what I'm going to assume is at least half a decade, and level-ups come at narrative milestones, how far have people actually gotten in Next so far?

When I was still gaming a lot I could knock out 2 to 3 sessions of 3-4 hours each in a week. If we were leveling up every 2-3 sessions, and factoring in that I'd want to get them out of levels 1-3 ASAP, I'd be looking at level 20 within 3 months?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?

gradenko_2000 posted:

So if nobody has ever played D&D with strict exp tracking in what I'm going to assume is at least half a decade, and level-ups come at narrative milestones, how far have people actually gotten in Next so far?

When I was still gaming a lot I could knock out 2 to 3 sessions of 3-4 hours each in a week. If we were leveling up every 2-3 sessions, and factoring in that I'd want to get them out of levels 1-3 ASAP, I'd be looking at level 20 within 3 months?

Well, you can also simply start them at level 4 or whatever your desired minimum limit is, I mean, you're entirely in control of this. Or if you wanted to, you could level them up just for playing a single session. Nothing about the system is going to break if you do this. What levelling up feels appropriate is more down to whether the players have a sense of accomplishment(defeated a villain, resolved a quest, etc.) to associate with the level up, or whether your players and you feel that there's fun to be had at the levels they're at. You'd also be perfectly justified in tapering off the speed of levelling up a bit after the initial few levels.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

PurpleXVI posted:

Well, you can also simply start them at level 4 or whatever your desired minimum limit is, I mean, you're entirely in control of this. Or if you wanted to, you could level them up just for playing a single session. Nothing about the system is going to break if you do this. What levelling up feels appropriate is more down to whether the players have a sense of accomplishment(defeated a villain, resolved a quest, etc.) to associate with the level up, or whether your players and you feel that there's fun to be had at the levels they're at. You'd also be perfectly justified in tapering off the speed of levelling up a bit after the initial few levels.

Right - I should have just omitted the second paragraph. I was really asking how other people are pacing their games, because "you're never going to be high enough level to worry about the Fighter's Relentless feature" and "you have control of the party's leveling pace" doesn't seem very compatible outside of groups falling out for non-game reasons.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

There's nothing wrong with "we're gonna do this one adventure, 3-5 sessions, you're all level 7" and just not tracking xp. Then if everyone has shitloads of fun and wants a sequel, set it 4 years later and tell everyone to be level 15 this time. It works really well with groups that don't/can't get everyone together very often.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Feb 17, 2015

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

I was really asking how other people are pacing their games, because "you're never going to be high enough level to worry about the Fighter's Relentless feature" and "you have control of the party's leveling pace" doesn't seem very compatible outside of groups falling out for non-game reasons.

Well, personally I don't really have any hard-set pace, it depends on how the game goes. Though, generally I'd say 3 to 4 sessions per advance until level 3 has been a general pace of mine since 2nd ed(dependent, of course, on whether there's anything to justify the level-up in those sessions). Level 3 has usually been the important level to get players to, since it's where mages and clerics get their first new spell level, making play less repetitive for them. With it now also being the archetype level, reaching it has become even more fun for players, and an even more important place to reach to give them more options, no matter their class.

After level 3, I wind down the levelling pace a lot, filling up the space with rewards of other types. Loot, items, skill points/feats/proficiency slots, that sort of thing. Levels are pretty important motivators for players since it gives them new abilities, and new abilities means more fun, but a wand with a spell they don't have access to yet, or an at-will ability to cast Feather Fall or something, is also something that opens up new possibilities for them.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Kitchner posted:

So in my session tonight I plan on running a scam to fleece peasants out of some cash by using a bag of lizard penises I harvested off some lizard men that we killed.

Apparently according to some people on these forums, this is a lack of poor judgement on my DM's part. Personally I look forward to making a handful of gold coins.

"Hmm yes, I brought up lizard dicks in both D&D Next threads apropos of nothing, and keep bringing it up to the degree that it's possible that I'm just being a weird rear end in a top hat, but clearly it's these prudes who have the issue. Really gross 'you had to be there' humor is the best, and a good idea to share online, especially somewhere other than shit_that_didnt_happen_rpg_edition.txt" :smaug:

Lightning Lord fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Feb 17, 2015

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Lightning Lord posted:

"Hmm yes, I brought up lizard dicks in both D&D Next threads apropos of nothing, and keep bringing it up to the degree that it's possible that I'm just being a weird rear end in a top hat, but clearly it's these prudes who have the issue. Really gross 'you had to be there' humor is the best, and a good idea to share online, especially somewhere other than shit_that_didnt_happen_rpg_edition.txt" :smaug:

Oh wow the ironic post quote. I'm lucky I've got someone as funny as you around or else I'd never learn what good humour is!

Good thing there's nobody who doesn't read the other thread and a mod didn't specifically say to talk about it here instead! Especially if I want to moan afterwards that the DM basically cockblocked me from making a load of cash via guile and conartistry but if I had a spell I would have been able to do it just fine!

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Don't talk about lizard cocks.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Really Pants posted:

Don't talk about lizard cocks.

Ettin new thread title please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IT BEGINS
Jan 15, 2009

I don't know how to make analogies

Kitchner posted:

Good thing there's nobody who doesn't read the other thread and a mod didn't specifically say to talk about it here instead!

Good thing you're a sarcastic dick, even when you're wrong!

Ettin posted:

That's enough about lizard dicks in the advice thread. Chat thread it or something!

This isn't the chat thread, bro.

Also, I want to point out the tone - this isn't yes, I like hearing about this, but this is the wrong thread for it. This is saying please stop talking about it, if you really have to talk about it gently caress off and do it where I don't have to see it.