Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
The breaking news audio from July 2012 discussing the Raw 1000 ratings is really good because it highlights peak TNA incompetence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Those both sound like good starting points, thanks!

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Turns out it is the 9/21 show. I tuned in and forgot we also got a Vinny review of a Lethal Lockdown match on that show. Those are always good. The classic stuff is Dave just tearing into the show later on.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Yeah, I figured from the text description I had the right one, since it mentions Dave just showing up to rant for 40 minutes or something.

Also love the description for today's Wrestling Observer Live:

"who Ronda Rousey should fight if Dana White throws her in the men's division -- which is never going to happen, by the way -- "

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Great podcast up late so it's one last 2 hour podcast with mike with mike painfully going over everything single thing that happens on the show.

I never realized how much I needed Bryan doing the shows until now.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
I'd like if maybe Bryan and Mike did a show outside of Wrestling Observer Live if only because I've gotten tired of listening to people call in I think. Mainly cuz it's the same people every time.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Good Listener posted:

I'd like if maybe Bryan and Mike did a show outside of Wrestling Observer Live if only because I've gotten tired of listening to people call in I think. Mainly cuz it's the same people every time.

Yeah, the last 2 weeks of WOL have been great because there haven't been callers interrupting discussion so we've actually gotten to hear them cover news and stuff. I can understand callers on the upcoming daily shows because there's not gonna be 40 minutes worth of material every day but I'd like it if on Sundays they had one hour without callers just to get through news and discussion and lay out some potential talking points before opening it up to people.

Plus the daily callers are all gonna be the same. Ryan, Ed etc and they're gonna take up at least 5 minutes of airtime each.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool

njsykora posted:

Yeah, the last 2 weeks of WOL have been great because there haven't been callers interrupting discussion so we've actually gotten to hear them cover news and stuff. I can understand callers on the upcoming daily shows because there's not gonna be 40 minutes worth of material every day but I'd like it if on Sundays they had one hour without callers just to get through news and discussion and lay out some potential talking points before opening it up to people.

Plus the daily callers are all gonna be the same. Ryan, Ed etc and they're gonna take up at least 5 minutes of airtime each.

Yea basically this. I skipped their whole week long observer radio last month because of the comments about Ryan calling in every day. I don't need to hear him ever again but I inadvertently will. I think he has surpassed the "ugh" factor I used to have of Dave from Wisconsin.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Hi, this is Ryan from Cumberland, Maryland and here's my really loving stupid fantasy booking idea.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Mike was much worse at the autistically-listing-everything-in-the-show thing in previous weeks, I think. Still miss Bryan, though.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I liked Mike's theory that the Miz/dow stuff is all leftover from the Bellas slavery stipulation.

81sidewinder
Sep 8, 2014

Buying stocks on the day of the crash

MassRafTer posted:

I liked Mike's theory that the Miz/dow stuff is all leftover from the Bellas slavery stipulation.

Dave no-selling it was my favorite part of the show. "Huh, maybe"

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

81sidewinder posted:

Dave no-selling it was my favorite part of the show. "Huh, maybe"

Dave's deadpan,"Okay :geno:" to Mike explaining the WWE Immortals storyline of Sting being in cryogenic storage since WCW ended was pretty great too.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family

Jerusalem posted:

Dave's deadpan,"Okay :geno:" to Mike explaining the WWE Immortals storyline of Sting being in cryogenic storage since WCW ended was pretty great too.

That's not a storyline, that's what really happened. God bless HHH for thawing him out.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Austin's breathing is at its worse on the HBK show. Had me laughing as HBK is just talking and all you hear is loving Austin breathing like Michael Myers.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

I'm sure he's told it before, but that story from Shawn about being on 2 somas and 3-5 Vicodin during the WM 14 match made me :catstare:

I can't imagine being able to stand up on drugs like that, let alone wrestle a main event match.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

Dunbar posted:

I'm sure he's told it before, but that story from Shawn about being on 2 somas and 3-5 Vicodin during the WM 14 match made me :catstare:

I can't imagine being able to stand up on drugs like that, let alone wrestle a main event match.

At the risk of sounding like a nincompoop who doesn't know what he is talking about, sometimes I wonder about details like that and how true they are. Lots of wrestlers are full of it, so I wonder if he really was on that many meds, or if he's exaggerating a little to seem tougher.

Then again, if you've seen Shawn's entrance at Mania 14, you'd see his eyes were red and glassy as hell, so who knows?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Retro observer up

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Dunbar posted:

Given Shawn's drug usage at that point and the amount of somas many guys were doing that doesn't surprise me.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

After reading positive reviews in this thread, I've been working my way through Taz's podcast the past couple of days and it has quickly become a favorite. He's insightful about the business and a really good interviewer. The fantasy draft episodes with Tenay are top notch, and you can tell that the two of them love just thinking about wrestling. I also enjoy the subtext of him disavowing any TNA bullshit.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

fart blood posted:

At the risk of sounding like a nincompoop who doesn't know what he is talking about, sometimes I wonder about details like that and how true they are. Lots of wrestlers are full of it, so I wonder if he really was on that many meds, or if he's exaggerating a little to seem tougher.

you can build up some mighty tolerances to opiates and soma. if he had been taking them for a few months beforehand, those amounts don't sound too unreasonable

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Aye Doc posted:

if he had been taking them for a few months

A few MONTHS? Hadn't he been blitzed out of his mind for YEARS at that point?

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
Drug tolerance is a hell of a thing. Someone with chronic pain can be on all kinds of opioids.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

A few MONTHS? Hadn't he been blitzed out of his mind for YEARS at that point?

a fistful of vicodin to him was probably like a baby aspirin at that point

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
On today's Big Audio Nightmare Mike explained why he's bad at recapping Raw: He hates watching 3 hours of the show and hates recapping it. He says he's fine doing NJPW, UFC, Boxing etc, but can't do Raw. It's a fair point because I've never been bothered by his recaps of other shows.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

MassRafTer posted:

On today's Big Audio Nightmare Mike explained why he's bad at recapping Raw: He hates watching 3 hours of the show and hates recapping it. He says he's fine doing NJPW, UFC, Boxing etc, but can't do Raw. It's a fair point because I've never been bothered by his recaps of other shows.

Yeah that does make sense, actually.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
Bill Watts: Child-murdering Peter Sellers aficionado.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

dsriggs posted:

Bill Watts: Child-murdering Peter Sellers aficionado.

Thanks for being the lead in to that bit of horror.

Oh, hey there. The Wrestlehut Pisscast released 3 shows last night - one from last week, and two that were done yesterday. There's simply too much content to go around! Get it on iTunes or whatever the hell other app people use, or stream them here.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Dunbar posted:

My dad took somas for a while after he herniated a disk. He weighed 300 pounds at the time and he had to cut the pill in half if he wanted to be functional at all during the day.

One of Nash's stories is that he, X-Pac, and Scott Hall split a bottle of 100 of them in Germany.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
Kevin Kelly is on JR's podcast this week. Pretty good, and confirms the tension between ROH and Sinclair. Not in the "doom and gloom" way just that it's sometimes like a square peg, round hole thing.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
"Whose that british guy with the chant 'There's only one Ricky Hatton'"

(beat)

"Oh. Ricky Hatton."

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Ricky Hatton being billed as "slightly over 140lbs" on Raw that one time was the funniest thing

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
From the latest Observer radio description.

quote:

Wrestling Observer Radio with Bryan Alvarez and Dave Meltzer is back tonight to talk all the news in wrestling and mixed martial arts including tons of thoughts on UFC's new drug testing strategy, a bunch of upcoming fights, Ronda Rousey's conference call today, Samoa Joe leaves WWE, Smackdown and NXT tapings, the latest Lapsed Fan WrestleMania audio, lots of questions and more!

That was quick.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Bryan's been on vacation so long he's forgotten Impact exists.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Gaz-L posted:

Bryan's been on vacation so long he's forgotten Impact exists.

He stopped reviewing it weeks ago

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Apparently Josh Mathews is starting a podcast...about men's fashion. hosed up if true.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

flashy_mcflash posted:

Apparently Josh Mathews is starting a podcast...about men's fashion. hosed up if true.

Came here to post this. After revisiting Tough Enough recently, I hope he has a puka shell memorial segment.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Charles Gnarwin posted:

Came here to post this. After revisiting Tough Enough recently, I hope he has a puka shell memorial segment.

Ahah, I'm LITERALLY watching the finale of season 1 and aye, he didn't dress too well.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

ICHIBAHN posted:

Ahah, I'm LITERALLY watching the finale of season 1 and aye, he didn't dress too well.

It was a different time. Pukka shells and frosted tips all the way down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

flashy_mcflash posted:

he always dresses pretty nice.

• Locked thread