Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Due to having multiple DMs, we came up with a standardized system for XP. Generally speaking, it hashes out to match if you actually split the XP, but it works.

Basically, you take the Adventuring XP Per Day table, put your parties levels into it, divide by players, and that's the award at the end of the session. It's worked pretty well so far. It also means that a low level, if they can survive, will gain levels pretty fast. but a high level who keeps slumming it won't progress as fast.

We also give a DM the same xp to put into their characters as a reward for DMing, so you don't fall behind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
Well I'm completely at a loss why we need a general chat thread, an advice thread for new players and then this thread to discuss what exactly?

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

I thought this was the general thread, and the advice thread was simply there to ask questions when this thread devolves in to Magic: The Gathering chat

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Kitchner posted:

Well I'm completely at a loss why we need a general chat thread, an advice thread for new players and then this thread to discuss what exactly?

This thread is to contain flame wars about how playing Next makes you a bad person. The advice thread that you shat up is so that newbies who want actual advice on how to go about playing Next can get their problems sorted out. The general chat thread is for TG general chat. None of those threads involves talking about reptile genitals.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Lightning Lord posted:

This thread is to contain flame wars about how playing Next makes you a bad person. The advice thread that you shat up is so that newbies who want actual advice on how to go about playing Next can get their problems sorted out. The general chat thread is for TG general chat. None of those threads involves talking about reptile genitals.

The point was I was going to use them as part of a con which is what I was going g to discuss. Much like how I discussed how it's cheaper to buy an elephant than a warhorse which spawned a 4 page discussion on how you might as well just get both and turn them into skeletons.

Yeah I mentioned it here again because I wanted to talk about the actual con later and the skill checks and how the DM handled it. I don't really give a poo poo if it's lizard dicks, lizard tounges, stones with holes in, genuine snake oil, whatever. But yeah sure, in future I can refer to them as lizard tounges instead if that makes you happy. Or then again maybe I shouldn't bother at all since apparently this thread is just to contain people arguing about how poo poo 5th ed is, something I'm already bored of hearing.

dirtycajun
Aug 27, 2004

SUCKING DICKS AND SQUEEZING TITTIES
I am pretty bored with lizard dicks myself.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Cloaca are a lot harder to cut off.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Kitchner posted:

Or then again maybe I shouldn't bother at all since apparently this thread is just to contain people arguing about how poo poo 5th ed is, something I'm already bored of hearing.

Within the last couple of pages we've had discussions about a West Marches campaign, grappling rules, experience/leveling rates, and fighting a black dragon with an underleveled party so I don't really know where you get off saying all we ever do in this thread is bitch about 5th Edition.

Because yeah, you're right, we technically don't need a separate thread, but the one that we didn't need was the advice thread, because there's never been an instance in this thread where someone has come in with a question that didn't get a straight answer, except over there we can't call you out on your ridiculous DMing practice of layering ability checks on top of ability checks, including DC 5 to just begin to intimidate someone.

Oh wait, I'm sorry - DC 5 WITH ADVANTAGE, because more dice = better than

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

Within the last couple of pages we've had discussions about a West Marches campaign, grappling rules, experience/leveling rates, and fighting a black dragon with an underleveled party so I don't really know where you get off saying all we ever do in this thread is bitch about 5th Edition.

Because yeah, you're right, we technically don't need a separate thread, but the one that we didn't need was the advice thread, because there's never been an instance in this thread where someone has come in with a question that didn't get a straight answer, except over there we can't call you out on your ridiculous DMing practice of layering ability checks on top of ability checks, including DC 5 to just begin to intimidate someone.

Wait, someone's making a person roll a DC 5 check? With advantage? Wtf? Really?

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Lightning Lord posted:

What about the FR thread, where it is entirely on topic

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Mormon Star Wars posted:

What about the FR thread, where it is entirely on topic

If you want to talk about what's in that saurial's pants, that's your problem MSW

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!

gradenko_2000 posted:

This is a tough thread though. Posting a question always gets a good answer or two, but it also spawns ten more posts about why 5e is bad (not disagreeing, there are some very valid arguments and huge flaws with the system). I think the other thread exists to avoid those ten other posts. Sometimes people don't want to get brow beat while getting a legit answer. It's a little disheartening to get so many negative responses in a thread about the system your playing. Maybe the only group they can find is 5e, maybe they like the system.

What I really wonder is why so many people who dislike 5e in so many ways still hang out and post in the 5e thread as much as they do. I mean I get that many of you/them wanted to like the system, but it didn't turn out great. Move on though. Go post in a thread about a system you enjoy. Negative energy and hippie poo poo etc.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
I have a problem, and I think this thread may be helpful. My character has a fetish for lizardman dong, but I can't seem to find any sellers. Where might I obtain that luscious scaly sausage?

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Gerdalti posted:

What I really wonder is why so many people who dislike 5e in so many ways still hang out and post in the 5e thread as much as they do. I mean I get that many of you/them wanted to like the system, but it didn't turn out great. Move on though. Go post in a thread about a system you enjoy. Negative energy and hippie poo poo etc.

Because they feel like it's letting down newcomers to RPGs, and they believe the best thing for the health of the hobby is to loudly criticize the system because in general it gets uncritical hosannas because it says "D&D" on the cover and isn't 4e. I think both takes are correct myself. That is, I think newbies should be made aware of the shortcomings of the game, but there's nothing wrong with just playing it and not every discussion about it needs to bring up THE BONE ZONE.

Lightning Lord fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Feb 17, 2015

dirtycajun
Aug 27, 2004

SUCKING DICKS AND SQUEEZING TITTIES
You know, all this talk about 5e has really made me come around to the idea of talking about lizard dicks. It just seems like the preferable choice.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Gerdalti posted:

Counterpoint: +-only threads are for shills and rpg.net.

Besides, without that "negativity" this thread would never get around to coming up with things like Skeleton King campaign idea, magical disguise conspiracy setting, and actually examining the math for even a second to try to fix it (those house rules people posted in the first few pages of the happy place advice thread didn't come out of nowhere, after all).

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

This is also the only place on the internet that isn't a non-stop bonertrain about how Real D&D is Back.

Although that's starting to change and it's hilarious. There was an awkward exchange in the last Darker Days podcast where the host wanted to talk about how great Next was, and the guest was like "No, not for martial classes" and vented some frustration.

Which lead to a fantastic "Well I play a wizard so I don't know anything about that" segue, which is about the most NEXT.txt thing you can think of.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Positivity is not generally a place where improvements are built since it implies a satisfaction and lack of desire to improve. Negativity, otoh, is where improvements are built since there is recognition of what's broken and needs fixing.

Positivity is to show what works. Negativity is to show what doesn't.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

gradenko_2000 posted:

To be fair there are a lot of posters here that don't, and they actually talk about the game in a way that says to people "there are some problems but it's still good because of x, y, z or you can work around them by doing a, b, c". In fact you're one of the posters that isn't like that. However I would say that as some one relatively new to the thread, the overwhelming attitude I get is that, as mentioned by someone else, for every decent reply you get 5 lovely ones that don't actually help and aren't funny.

gradenko_2000 posted:

except over there we can't call you out on your ridiculous DMing practice of layering ability checks on top of ability checks, including DC 5 to just begin to intimidate someone.

Firstly I don't think anyone would say you can't say "Yeah you can do this but I would do it this way" which is exactly what you did.

I explained why I would do that and why I wouldn't do it your way. It wasn't like it was just take a DC5 roll with an advantage, it was if you do X and succede then gain and advantage and maybe make it a DC5 roll too depending on the situation. I even acknowledged this is a lot of dice rolling and you could make it simpler by doing what you described instead if you were happy with the disadvantages that presented.

I mean if you think you have something to add beyond what was already said I'm happy to listen to it, so please don't think you can't talk about it, especially as you're one of the posters who is generally constructive.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Xelkelvos posted:

Positivity is not generally a place where improvements are built since it implies a satisfaction and lack of desire to improve. Negativity, otoh, is where improvements are built since there is recognition of what's broken and needs fixing.

Positivity is to show what works. Negativity is to show what doesn't.

There's a difference between being constructive and just being plain negative though.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Kitchner posted:

So in my session tonight I plan on running a scam to fleece peasants out of some cash by using a bag of lizard penises I harvested off some lizard men that we killed.

Apparently according to some people on these forums, this is a lack of poor judgement on my DM's part. Personally I look forward to making a handful of gold coins.

Oh man I can't believe you took this poo poo out on the road from thread to thread! Can you post tour dates for your attempts to get goons to agreeably banter about lizard dongs because I'm gonna hawk t-shirts about it until the venue kicks me out.

I once quit a new D&D game I joined through a signboard posting at the local nerd store after fifteen minutes even though I had to drive for like a half hour to get to the dude's house. I did this because the first NPC he had the party meet was "A huge orc that's a giant baby, like with a diaper, but he's gay and his dick pops up if any male PCs talk to him." I took this as an object lesson that in addition to not wanting to play with homophobic shitheads, I also was 28 got-damned years old and didn't need to talk about hilarious green dicks with strangers.

So basically, even if your amazing campaign happened upon a bunch of dicks organically and in service to the story, it just reminds everyone else that dicks are often stuffed unwanted into games, even though the game is resisting and doesn't want dicks. Over and over again.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I'm intending to make my players fight Gob-zilla at some point (a goblin who has drunk too many potions and is the size of a giant, but dumber, with a breath weapon).

I'm going to give him some magical purple hulk pants.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Kitchner posted:

There's a difference between being constructive and just being plain negative though.

Yep, just like there's a difference in saying that something is good and why that something is good.

Unlike most places which just spin its wheels with bitching or self-fellating, SA and others which allow complaints to run free but keep boring circlejerking on the down low will actually try and remedy the problems in a system beyond meager houserules up to and including full scale overhauls. The difference between bandaids and major surgery

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Gerdalti posted:

I could run 13th Age or 4th Edition or Dungeon World or Microlite20 or any of the OSR games and I know that they're well designed enough to work without me having to tinker with the system very much, but I really can't say the same for 5th Edition, and at the same time I acknowledge that people will end up playing 5th Edition for any number of reasons despite the objective quality of its mechanics, so I like to post here because the game isn't solved, and there's a lot to talk about trying to solve.

Mike Mearls is Matthew McConaughey and I'm Sarah Jessica Parker.

theironjef posted:

I once quit a new D&D game I joined through a signboard posting at the local nerd store after fifteen minutes even though I had to drive for like a half hour to get to the dude's house. I did this because the first NPC he had the party meet was "A huge orc that's a giant baby, like with a diaper, but he's gay and his dick pops up if any male PCs talk to him." I took this as an object lesson that in addition to not wanting to play with homophobic shitheads, I also was 28 got-damned years old and didn't need to talk about hilarious green dicks with strangers.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

theironjef posted:

Oh man I can't believe you took this poo poo out on the road from thread to thread! Can you post tour dates for your attempts to get goons to agreeably banter about lizard dongs because I'm gonna hawk t-shirts about it until the venue kicks me out.

So basically, even if your amazing campaign happened upon a bunch of dicks organically and in service to the story, it just reminds everyone else that dicks are often stuffed unwanted into games, even though the game is resisting and doesn't want dicks. Over and over again.

Does Unconsciousness imply consent again in 5e?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Do any systems actually have good grappling rules? I've used grappling in campaigns before and it actually won one of our toughest fights, but that was due to incredibly lucky rolls. I think the biggest problem is that if grappling is a solid option, then monsters (who are often much larger than PCs) would just dominate in grappling contests and it'd all be over.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010
Grappling in 4e was simple and good (as in, effective).

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I've never seen one. A lot of them are 'simplified' through the use of multi-page flowcharts.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Generic Octopus posted:

Only if you were a Brawler Fighter. If you weren't, it was kinda garbage.

If you mean the rules in general though, yeah, it was pretty simple and worked fairly well. You usually had a monster ability declare that the target was grappled on hit, and the target can try to escape as a move action. I think the main flaw was that it's super easy to break a grapple with forced movement, particularly at later levels when just about everyone had access to one or more, sometimes not even requiring a standard action.

Reality
Sep 26, 2010

mastershakeman posted:

Do any systems actually have good grappling rules? I've used grappling in campaigns before and it actually won one of our toughest fights, but that was due to incredibly lucky rolls. I think the biggest problem is that if grappling is a solid option, then monsters (who are often much larger than PCs) would just dominate in grappling contests and it'd all be over.

That's why moon druids with the grapple feat are pretty great, especially with beasts that have grapple as an attack effect and are size large or huge. At level 8 turning into a giant eagle and grapple-dropping things everywhere.

I don't think 5e's grapple rules are very easy though because we always have to stop and go, "what now" with every attack and effect against the target.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Generic Octopus posted:

Looks to me like huge/giant creatures just obliterate PCs with those rules.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010
Honestly 5e's grappling is pretty straightforward and easy to use (it's basically the same as 4e, just different jargon), it's just that PCs will never use it because the condition "Grappled" doesn't really synergize with other game elements the way it did in 4e.

mastershakeman posted:

Looks to me like huge/giant creatures just obliterate PCs with those rules.

What do you mean? Being grappled just immobilizes, I'm not sure how that equates to being obliterated.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Generic Octopus posted:

Honestly 5e's grappling is pretty straightforward and easy to use (it's basically the same as 4e, just different jargon), it's just that PCs will never use it because the condition "Grappled" doesn't really synergize with other game elements the way it did in 4e.

Maybe what we need is a Grappler archetype for Fighters or Monks, specialized in grappling enemies and getting a bunch of maneuvers/bonuses to hurl them around/choke them out/cripple them once he's got a grapple going on, something like the Brawler class out of ToME.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Rawhide Handwraps of the Exotic Wrangler
Very Rare item
Requires attunement

Grants disadvantage on ability tests to escape from the wearer's grapples.

These handwraps are made of the hide of some fey beast and always appear as though freshly cut from a skin. When worn, any creature grappled by the wearer is unable to escape their grasp by extraordinary means. Teleportation fails, amorphous creatures are unable to shift their form, changes in size and any other non-mundane ability provide no escape.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Xelkelvos posted:

Yep, just like there's a difference in saying that something is good and why that something is good.

Unlike most places which just spin its wheels with bitching or self-fellating, SA and others which allow complaints to run free but keep boring circlejerking on the down low will actually try and remedy the problems in a system beyond meager houserules up to and including full scale overhauls. The difference between bandaids and major surgery

But multiple posters have actually said that it is basically a big negative circle jerk in the thread, which most people are guessing why an it was felt an entirely new thread was needed for people who just want answers to their questions without telling them to play other game systems, to only play casters, or how great other editions of the game were.

Regardless of what some people think here, multiple people have said that and quite a few people have posted once or twice with questions and then not bothered again. You can sit there and say it's their fault or realise that a multiple people have said the thread seems overwhelmingly negative. Up to you.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Kitchner posted:

But multiple posters have actually said that it is basically a big negative circle jerk in the thread, which most people are guessing why an it was felt an entirely new thread was needed for people who just want answers to their questions without telling them to play other game systems, to only play casters, or how great other editions of the game were.

Regardless of what some people think here, multiple people have said that and quite a few people have posted once or twice with questions and then not bothered again. You can sit there and say it's their fault or realise that a multiple people have said the thread seems overwhelmingly negative. Up to you.

So is the irony of you relentlessly harping on how bad you feel this thread is compared to others that do similar things just...lost on you completely, or are we fully committed to going meta on this bad boy?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Kitchner posted:

Point to where in this thread people have made a concerted effort to kick people who are positive about Next out (except maybe for MonsterEnvy who is kind of a special case).

Also that new thread? Doesn't really have much in the way of different posters in it, it's mostly the same batch of posters as this thread, you included. What that suggests to me is that there isn't actually some huge contingent of SA tradgames posters champing at the bit to talk about how super-rad and cool D&D Next is but the harsh vibe is chasing them away.

I keep telling Ettin to go full RPGnet with this thread and turn it into a "+ only" thread for like a month just so we get to see how much robust discussion ensues when the mean "negative circlejerkers" can't post in it, my guess is not very much.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Kitchner posted:

This thread is wildly off course and will flood the nearby town with negativity! I, a humble poster, shall divert it to a safe channel by damming it up with surplus lizard dicks!

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

theironjef posted:

This thread is wildly off course and will flood the nearby town with negativity! I, a humble poster, shall divert it to a safe channel by damming it up with surplus lizard dicks!

Surplus? Did the kingdom purchase too many dicks from the lizard dick factory and is now selling them for coppers? Why'd they put out an order for lizard dicks in the first place?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

is that good
Apr 14, 2012
The feeling I get from reading it is that most of the thread's negativity is people endlessly complaining about the vast injustices visited upon them by the thread's negativity. After that, by weight I'm pretty sure most of the thread is Cool Stuff and Fun Things.