Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

It looks like one of those knockoff Minecraft clones on xbox live, but for Terraria. Slap the name 'Terrarium' on it an it's good to go

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Why are its environments HDish when the sprites have this ugly pixelated look?

E: I've never seen jaggies in a 2D game before!

Jackard fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Feb 17, 2015

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Yeah that kind of looks like rear end, but the kind of depressing rear end where it looks like a lot of talent and hard work went into it, but one awful design decision ruins the entire look.

e: Did... they take their official screenshots in low quality jpg format? Because those official screenshots look like low quality jpgs.

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Feb 17, 2015

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

The art in that is really bugging me. I just really don't like looking at it for some reason. It's hard for me to pinpoint why exactly, maybe it's everything kinda clashing in some way?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

it looks really... yeah, it's kind of hard to explain. It looks like one of those late 90s/early 2000s PC games where they had a lot of talented artists doing the highest quality work they could, but the technology simply couldn't support it. There's a lot of design elements going on like detailed shading, advanced lighting and effects, complex animations, etc., but it's all restrained in this fake-rear end pixelated look for arbitrary reasons. It's like a cargo-cult retro style.

You know what it reminds me of?

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Babe Magnet posted:

it looks really... yeah, it's kind of hard to explain. It looks like one of those late 90s/early 2000s PC games where they had a lot of talented artists doing the highest quality work they could, but the technology simply couldn't support it. There's a lot of design elements going on like detailed shading, advanced lighting and effects, complex animations, etc., but it's all restrained in this fake-rear end pixelated look for arbitrary reasons. It's like a cargo-cult retro style.

You know what it reminds me of?

Except take a picture of those with a cellphone and apply the 'rear end' filter to them all

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Babe Magnet posted:

it looks really... yeah, it's kind of hard to explain.
Looks like they took the gibs from King Arthur's Gold and slapped them together into gib people.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Magmarashi posted:

Except take a picture of those with a cellphone and apply the 'rear end' filter to them all

Yeah, that's what I was trying to get at, I guess. Creatures was loving awesome looking in its time. A game that looks like Creatures now looks garbo.

Jackard posted:

Looks like they took the gibs from King Arthur's Gold and slapped them together into gib people.

lmao that too

E: I don't want to sound too negative. I saw a lot of neat things in that trailer, like some sweet-rear end weather effects and I liked the fact that held items bounce and sway a bit as you move, looks more natural.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!

Babe Magnet posted:

Yeah, that's what I was trying to get at, I guess. Creatures was loving awesome looking in its time. A game that looks like Creatures now looks garbo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ub6LGfFTnmc

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.
FWIW they did the new stable update today. Finally loving fixed the way the "interact" key works to close windows.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

quote:

- This means that you cannot sit in chairs, flip switches, or use crafting stations through walls.

I know it was kinda cheaty, but I made use of this "bug" a lot and am mildly upset it's gone now.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Fermented Tinal posted:

I know it was kinda cheaty, but I made use of this "bug" a lot and am mildly upset it's gone now.

I like that I can now lock the teleporter room on my ship with a switch right outside.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Wee Tinkle Wand posted:

I like that I can now lock the teleporter room on my ship with a switch right outside.

But then people just break down the door.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Fermented Tinal posted:

But then people just break down the door.

If they are party poopers, yeah.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Wee Tinkle Wand posted:

If they are party poopers, yeah.

And you're not?

I'd like chucklefish to either implement a way to protect areas by letting you build those generators seen in dungeons or ship protection against anyone but the ship's owner, then you could have some real fun with that bugfix.

StringOfLetters
Apr 2, 2007
What?
I filled my Fishman space ship mostly with water (you have to put background tiles over the windows&doors or else it leaks out) and have reached kind of a stumbling point. Is there a way to design a water-lock in two dimensions with no pumps? (E.g. to cycle through and enter the flooded aft compartments without leaking) There are doors, liquid sensors, and gravity to work with.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

StringOfLetters posted:

I filled my Fishman space ship mostly with water (you have to put background tiles over the windows&doors or else it leaks out) and have reached kind of a stumbling point. Is there a way to design a water-lock in two dimensions with no pumps? (E.g. to cycle through and enter the flooded aft compartments without leaking) There are doors, liquid sensors, and gravity to work with.

I've seen it mentioned on the forums that people have successfully done it, but I have no idea how. It's possible, somehow.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
These race specific lockers are pretty nice. 48 capacity, wall mounted, small size. The reminder about "covering" windows by the guy trying to flood his ship means even ship windows are not a limitation on placement.

Could somebody explain to me just what got "fixed" with the wiring? At a glance it seems about the same, unless maybe they made them more transparent or something? Hard to tell without a compare and contrast for me basically. My real issue with Wiring is that you can only connect wires a few blocks worth away, which means lots of jumping when trying to hook up even ship lights to things. Which can be awkward when trying to rig up doors or worse, those horizontal floor/ceiling style doors.

MShadowy
Sep 30, 2013

dammit eyes don't work that way!

Fun Shoe
Well, the ships at least should be finished. Now for all the other stuff.

Kinda tempted to just release this as a standalone for the moment, hmmm... though I should probably engage in the modding talk on the actual Chucklefish forums. Er, sorry?

Haerc
Jan 2, 2011

MShadowy posted:

Well, the ships at least should be finished. Now for all the other stuff.

Kinda tempted to just release this as a standalone for the moment, hmmm... though I should probably engage in the modding talk on the actual Chucklefish forums. Er, sorry?

Nice, looking forward to this. I also enjoyed your starsector mod.

Cartoon Violence
Oct 30, 2012

Stop being such goons, you CLODS!

I wasn't able to see any mention of it in this thread so far, but it seems that my game won't accept any mods at all. I downloaded a few, made sure they were all for the newest version of the game, put them into the mod folder as directed. But, even if I only put in one mod such as the Glowing Ores, the game will crash when I try to launch it, and trying to launch the server command exe will return errors about being unable to identify hylotl dungeons, villager npc's, and liquids before crashing. I tried different combos. I tried switching between 32 and 64 bit, I tried only including a single mod that I knew nobody was having problems with, I tried switching from unstable to stable and back again, and even when I tried to search the error, I got nothing. Is this a recent issue everyone's having but not talking about? Or is this some complicated thing that I should copy down the error I get to see if anybody knows what it means?

surfacelevelspeck
Oct 1, 2008

communism's sleepiest soldier

Cartoon Violence posted:

I wasn't able to see any mention of it in this thread so far, but it seems that my game won't accept any mods at all. I downloaded a few, made sure they were all for the newest version of the game, put them into the mod folder as directed. But, even if I only put in one mod such as the Glowing Ores, the game will crash when I try to launch it, and trying to launch the server command exe will return errors about being unable to identify hylotl dungeons, villager npc's, and liquids before crashing. I tried different combos. I tried switching between 32 and 64 bit, I tried only including a single mod that I knew nobody was having problems with, I tried switching from unstable to stable and back again, and even when I tried to search the error, I got nothing. Is this a recent issue everyone's having but not talking about? Or is this some complicated thing that I should copy down the error I get to see if anybody knows what it means?

Make sure you're putting them in the right folder. It's not Starbound\mods any more, it's now Starbound\giraffe_storage\mods.

EDIT: Wait, I'm dumb, should reread things before I respond. This isn't your problem at all. We'll need to see your crash log to actually get any sort of picture of what's going on with your install, but the easiest advice would be back up your player/ship/metadata (and universe if you want) and do a reinstall to see if that fixes it.

surfacelevelspeck fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Feb 18, 2015

clockwork chaos
Sep 15, 2009

Any goon servers for this yet?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Are the devs planning on putting a temperature system back in to the game? I'm running around a snow planet without a care in the world.

Also it seems as if they've upped the fuel cost for travel, so I'm glad for that. Again, I'm not a fan of tedium, but it was kind of silly how 10 fuel let you go virtually anywhere.

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer
Does starbound have a release date yet? Please do not reply with rape jokes like when I asked in the last thread.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Liquid Penguins posted:

Does starbound have a release date yet? Please do not reply with rape jokes like when I asked in the last thread.

Hahahahahahahaha!

Please.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Liquid Penguins posted:

No

Cartoon Violence
Oct 30, 2012

Stop being such goons, you CLODS!

Syndlig posted:

Make sure you're putting them in the right folder. It's not Starbound\mods any more, it's now Starbound\giraffe_storage\mods.

EDIT: Wait, I'm dumb, should reread things before I respond. This isn't your problem at all. We'll need to see your crash log to actually get any sort of picture of what's going on with your install, but the easiest advice would be back up your player/ship/metadata (and universe if you want) and do a reinstall to see if that fixes it.

Crazy stuff! It turns out I just needed a simple reinstall to make everything work! Thank you so much for the help!

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Liquid Penguins posted:

lie back and think of england like the devs did when they were dreaming of where to move to after getting everyone's money

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Liquid Penguins posted:

stuntwaffle
Mar 7, 2007

I wish Starbound was a dick so I could put it in my ass and mouth!

Liquid Penguins posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPgE991VDwM

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

I tried looking on the official forums or whatever but they seem to constantly time out, is there a fix for the absolutely horrendous framerate drops I get? I was wandering through a Glitch town and it got as low as 10fps, same with the outpost, it's kind of nuts I can play something like Dying Light at max but Starbound cripples me.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

david... posted:

I tried looking on the official forums or whatever but they seem to constantly time out, is there a fix for the absolutely horrendous framerate drops I get? I was wandering through a Glitch town and it got as low as 10fps, same with the outpost, it's kind of nuts I can play something like Dying Light at max but Starbound cripples me.

I'm hoping that, with more updates, this kind of thing will be fixed with optimization.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

So, the moonbase mission, and the other one too I guess. They're instanced, right? As in they'll reset themselves every time you come back? Are these set in stone, or could modders use this to, I dunno, do poo poo like generate random prefab structures that don't have to rely on worldgen and change every time? Some sort of roguish dungeon, perhaps? Or set up their own divergent hubs like the Outpost, or pregenerated planets for some kind of world-spanning final boss? Are these things that would/could be possible?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Liquid Penguins posted:

Hm, that actually didn't happen. If it did, prove me wrong, but the only thing I gathered from combing your posts in the last thread is that you only pop in to ask if the game has been released yet, over and over again. I will not be trolled, in this, my own thread!!!

Also, RE: Optimization Pass

There's already been a big one so we may not see another for a while. The forums have been timing out for me too, though, so I can't really look anything up for you right now.

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Feb 19, 2015

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Cicadas! posted:

So, the moonbase mission, and the other one too I guess. They're instanced, right? As in they'll reset themselves every time you come back? Are these set in stone, or could modders use this to, I dunno, do poo poo like generate random prefab structures that don't have to rely on worldgen and change every time?

I'm confused by the wording of this sentence, do you want them to change every time, or not?

If all you want is for modders to be able to add their own unique world-dungeons (like the moon mission, etc) then yeah that's very easily possible.

If what you want is something else then you might be able to do that too but I'm not sure what the other thing you want is.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

XboxPants posted:

I'm confused by the wording of this sentence, do you want them to change every time, or not?

Yes. Randomized layout each time it's loaded, that sort of thing. I'm sure you've played a game with that mechanic before.
Just wondering if it would be possible to do something like that in contrast to concrete locations.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Are the devs planning on putting a temperature system back in to the game? I'm running around a snow planet without a care in the world.

Also it seems as if they've upped the fuel cost for travel, so I'm glad for that. Again, I'm not a fan of tedium, but it was kind of silly how 10 fuel let you go virtually anywhere.

No one really liked the old temp and hunger mechanics. Hunger got replaced with food buffs and temp so far with cold/heat immunity techs. I don't know if they plan to revisit those at some point though.

You will run into volcanic/ice planets which don't require the heat/cold immune techs, that seems intentional. So it's hot/cold but not enough to kill you.

That said, I liked the old cold mechanic. But I'm crazy! The game has AC unit and heater objects and in the old system heaters could heat up an area around them (AC unit wasn't in the old version afaik but the implication is it would cool down an area around them). I'd like to see that mechanic to make planets livable without having to use techs. Even if it keeps the tech system I'd like to make a volcanic planet visitable by people without the heat immunity tech because I surrounded the spawn with an AC cooled base.

Space Skeleton fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Feb 19, 2015

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Wee Tinkle Wand posted:

That said, I liked the old cold mechanic. But I'm crazy! The game has AC unit and heater objects and in the old system heaters could heat up an area around them (AC unit wasn't in the old version afaik but the implication is it would cool down an area around them). I'd like to see that mechanic to make planets livable without having to use techs. Even if it keeps the tech system I'd like to make a volcanic planet visitable by people without the heat immunity tech because I surrounded the spawn with an AC cooled base.
The big problem was implementation, not concept. There were places where you had to place a constant string of fireplaces/heaters or die instantly the second you stepped off of it. If you weren't overlapping a campfire, you'd die.
Also made nights on semi-cold planets a chore, because you couldn't do anything at night, just sit by the fire and wait for day, which is atmospheric, but not really a lot of fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I think one of the devs who pops into IRC said they might bring back the temperature mechanics, but it was a while ago and it may have just been a "maybe I'll work on it when I'm done with this thing" deal so it might not ever become anything. Temperature has been brought to their attention a few times though, for sure.

• Locked thread