Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Space-Bird posted:

Is it that time of year in the media cycle already? Did we already get a "Future AI overlords might become a reality" article? Hear me out, Buzzfeed Journalists, What if there was AI overlord future combined with Zombie Future. Think of the mondo clicks.

Boston dynamics released a video of a miniaturized version of their Big Dog robot walking around the cubicles, it's just a "viral video happened" cartoon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Basically my favourite Bors cartoon in the past year or so.

Not political in the slightest, which is probably why.

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

You're related to soup, Admiral.

The Iron Rose posted:

Basically my favourite Bors cartoon in the past year or so.

Not political in the slightest, which is probably why.

Except for the drone in the background, but that's pretty much a graphical tic for Bors at this point.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Basically as a person who did a lot of robotics work in college it really annoys me when people who have no idea what they're talking about go "robot revolution any day now amirite :haw:" every time there's an advance of any kind in the field

Personally I blame James Cameron.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

We could all talk about Roko's Basilisk :twisted:

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Bors made the same dumb joke that everyone makes about those Boston Dynamics videos.

It's just A Thing Happened.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

loquacius posted:

Basically as a person who did a lot of robotics work in college it really annoys me when people who have no idea what they're talking about go "robot revolution any day now amirite :haw:" every time there's an advance of any kind in the field

I don't think anyone thinks that an artificial intelligence takeover is going to happen any time soon. It is sometimes fun to make jokes about what the robots would do if they took over, or what the straw that breaks the camel's back is in making them decide to make humans into slaves and people make those kinds of jokes when a minor advance has happened, because that's when the jokes spring to their mind.

The Bors one is of the effortless and mediocre at best variety, of course.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Cartoonz

Pretty good by Rall standards.

I'll give Payne some credit by being one of the few right-wingers to be happy that Obama wants war.

Creativity is strong today.

Really strong.

No, Bish! We're on selfies now! Didn't you get the memo!?

WHY WON'T YOU BE AFRAID GOD drat IT?

YES...HA HA HA YES!

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

evergrowingironicat.gif

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Bicyclops posted:

It was once fun to make exactly one joke about what the robots would do if they took over etc, thirty years ago, and has not been fun once out of the millions of times that joke has been made since then

ftfy

As said earlier: it's an old joke and I'm sick of it

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

loquacius posted:

ftfy

I sincerely hate Terminator 2, and it's because of that joke. I'm with you.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

loquacius posted:

ftfy

But what if the robot is also a drone?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

loquacius posted:

ftfy

I mean, it's pretty mediocre, yeah. It's the plot joke equivalent of "if I could walk that way!"

I think it's worthy more of a shrug than anger or a belief that people are willfully misunderstanding robotics, though. :shrug:

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Rorus Raz posted:

No, Bish! We're on selfies now! Didn't you get the memo!?

Bish could've thought they were misshapen golf clubs and wanted to show how to properly scrawl one.

Rorus Raz posted:

YES...HA HA HA YES!

GLORIOUS

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax
I intentionally make killer AI jokes around robotics people, because it makes them stupidly angry and it's amusing to see highly-educated people act like that.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Alien Arcana posted:

Is the AI also the zombies? Or are we dealing with two simultaneous apocalypses here.

Both these apocalypses are created as diversions by the alien invaders.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Rorus Raz posted:

By Rall standards, agreed, but it'd be a lot better if it was drawn by someone with actual talent for composition and caricature.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Rorus Raz posted:

Yeah, I really like the content of this, but I didn't even realize the guy was Brian Williams until the last panel, or even that they were all supposed to be the same guy. And even in the last panel, even though the speech bubble basically says "I am Brian Williams", I thought it was Reagan for a second.

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

loquacius posted:

ftfy

thank you for informing us of your opinion on a joke. it is really good, that we now know what you think of a joke. please tell us, what other jokes are old, in your opinion? thanks in advance.

SporkOfTruth
Sep 1, 2006

this kid walked up to me and was like man schmitty your stache is ghetto and I was like whatever man your 3b look like a dishrag.

he was like damn.

loquacius posted:

How did you not flip out over the insane yet still-taken-seriously rantings of Kurzweil or 99% of the commercial robotics industry then? The people privately funding this kind of work are taken by the idea of a benevolent Skynet.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

BBJoey posted:

thank you for informing us of your opinion on a joke. it is really good, that we now know what you think of a joke. please tell us, what other jokes are old, in your opinion? thanks in advance.

sorry I discussed a political cartoon :(

SporkOfTruth posted:

How did you not flip out over the insane yet still-taken-seriously rantings of Kurzweil or 99% of the commercial robotics industry then? The people privately funding this kind of work are taken by the idea of a benevolent Skynet.

None of that stuff is in this thread :confused:

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Space-Bird posted:

Is it that time of year in the media cycle already? Did we already get a "Future AI overlords might become a reality" article? Hear me out, Buzzfeed Journalists, What if there was AI overlord future combined with Zombie Future. Think of the mondo clicks.

That's basically the plot of IDW's Zombies vs. Robots.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Well Obama's not wrong. There's no reason to suspect the Mole People of terrorism. The media just uses them as a punching bag because of bias and years of old anti-mole people propaganda. I'm glad to see that Ramirez is pro-Hollow Earth.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

This might be the best picture of Obama that Ramirez has ever done.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Ahhh, here we see the Wormbama providing a service to the ecosystem by naturally aerating the soil.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Rorus Raz posted:

Creativity is strong today.
Nero was actually away when the Great Fire of AD 64 happened and immediately began a relief effort once the fire started to die down.

Clearly McCoy needs to read less Suetonius (who took the side of senators in interpretations of the emperors so of course the populist Nero was demonized for caring about the people) and more unbiased ancient sources.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Yep, nothing like ignoring a problem by bombing the gently caress out of it and asking for a war powers act.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

MrUnderbridge posted:

Yep, nothing like ignoring a problem by bombing the gently caress out of it and asking for a war powers act.

No, see, that was wrong because obamainfrontofmissionaccomplishedbanner.jpg.

TheMaskedChemist
Mar 30, 2010

achillesforever6 posted:

Nero was actually away when the Great Fire of AD 64 happened and immediately began a relief effort once the fire started to die down.

Clearly McCoy needs to read less Suetonius (who took the side of senators in interpretations of the emperors so of course the populist Nero was demonized for caring about the people) and more unbiased ancient sources.

It's McCoy. Do you really think that caring about the common people of Rome would win Nero points with him? 50 CE, Roman era McCoy probably painted several fresco's of Nero stealing tax money to give to undesirables while ignoring the obvious threat of the Iceni.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010
That is the most pleasing Ramirez I have ever seen, I'm glad he spared us his ghastly drawing of a human face by hiding it in the sand.

I didn't hear about Lindsey Graham, I didn't believe it. Our wish for a second GOP clown car may come true. :pray:

Post 9-11 User fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Feb 18, 2015

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

That Obama has the hands of a white person.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

Rorus Raz posted:

I'll give Payne some credit by being one of the few right-wingers to be happy that Obama wants war.

Even when drawing a vehicle without a bumper Payne somehow manages to persevere and thrive.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Guardian:

"Brian Adcock on the party leaders' TV debates – The Conservatives have signalled that David Cameron is willing to take part in televised leaders’ debates following the publication of revised plans from broadcasters" Also Teletubbies creator 'sad' about show's remake

Telegraph:

Mars One shortlist: five Britons among 100 would-be astronauts

Independent:

Greece is set to request a loan extension, reports say

Times:

Church of England urges 'fresh moral vision' from politicians

Mail:

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Lesley Gore RIP.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

pwn posted:

ME AM PLAY GOD!

RyokoTK posted:

Relax, it's a mediocre political cartoon.

Also Boors is really channeling Rall in this comic.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Skye gets a not-terrible joke in, good for her

Also isn't it more accurate to say that Christianity is the faith that puts "prophet first?" I mean Muslims state pretty emphatically that Muhammad and the other prophets (including Jesus!) were not God, just very righteous men whom God chose as His messengers. But it's a Christian article of faith that Jesus is definitely God.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

TheMaskedChemist posted:

It's McCoy. Do you really think that caring about the common people of Rome would win Nero points with him? 50 CE, Roman era McCoy probably painted several fresco's of Nero stealing tax money to give to undesirables while ignoring the obvious threat of the Iceni.
Also the only reason why Rome is burning now is because our stupid government can't use common sense and work into putting money in infrastructure. No we got to spend time to deregulate the DEP because those poor oil/coal companies need to dump waste into watersheds because they can't godforbid spend money to properly dispose of it.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Pththya-lyi posted:

Skye gets a not-terrible joke in, good for her

Also isn't it more accurate to say that Christianity is the faith that puts "prophet first?" I mean Muslims state pretty emphatically that Muhammad and the other prophets (including Jesus!) were not God, just very righteous men whom God chose as His messengers. But it's a Christian article of faith that Jesus is definitely God.

Yes, which means he's not a prophet. Saying Jesus is a prophet is a bit like saying Obama is Secretary of State. Prophets pass on the message of God, but they don't write it; Jesus was God incarnate and was speaking for himself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Because as we know extremism never comes from poverty.

• Locked thread