Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
I agree, the Abrahamic faiths were founded in barbarism, any honest return to their roots necessitates a return to that barbarism. The sooner all those outmoded systems of superstition are done away with, the better.

Deuteronomy 10:10-18, NIV posted:

10 When you march up to attack a city, make its people an offer of peace. 11 If they accept and open their gates, all the people in it shall be subject to forced labor and shall work for you. 12 If they refuse to make peace and they engage you in battle, lay siege to that city. 13 When the Lord your God delivers it into your hand, put to the sword all the men in it. 14 As for the women, the children, the livestock and everything else in the city, you may take these as plunder for yourselves. And you may use the plunder the Lord your God gives you from your enemies. 15 This is how you are to treat all the cities that are at a distance from you and do not belong to the nations nearby.

16 However, in the cities of the nations the Lord your God is giving you as an inheritance, do not leave alive anything that breathes. 17 Completely destroy[a] them—the Hittites, Amorites, Canaanites, Perizzites, Hivites and Jebusites—as the Lord your God has commanded you. 18 Otherwise, they will teach you to follow all the detestable things they do in worshiping their gods, and you will sin against the Lord your God.

e: Even Julius Caesar gave besieged cities till the first siege rams touched the walls before all bets were off, and he was a professional genocidaire. Y'all monotheists are crazy.

1994 Toyota Celica fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Feb 17, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whoflungpoop
Sep 9, 2004

With you and the constellations

ReidRansom posted:

Almost anything is going to be utter poo poo when returned to its original 1000+ year old context.
Authenticity is important to Isis, the preeminent Mohamed's army cosplay group

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

whoflungpoop posted:

Authenticity is important to Isis, the preeminent Mohamed's army cosplay group

And I'd agree they're utter poo poo. Like, I definitely wouldn't visit a surgeon who only did things the original and authentic way, and I certainly don't want my meals prepared to medieval standards of edibility. Also religion is utter poo poo in basically any context anyhow, but at least most people are sane enough to only follow it as much as modern civilization permits.

Cippalippus
Mar 31, 2007

Out for a ride, chillin out w/ a couple of friends. Going to be back for dinner

zeal posted:

e: Even Julius Caesar gave besieged cities till the first siege rams touched the walls before all bets were off, and he was a professional genocidaire. Y'all monotheists are crazy.

He wasn't a monotheist, and for that matter died in the year 44 before Christ. He also didn't found a religion, anyway, and didn't rape small girls like Mohammed.
He also spared enemies that surrendered.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Cippalippus posted:

He wasn't a monotheist, and for that matter died in the year 44 before Christ. He also didn't found a religion, anyway, and didn't rape small girls like Mohammed.

As I recall, that's because Julius was rather more interested in little boys.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Darth Walrus posted:

As I recall, that's because Julius was rather more interested in little boys.

That was actually a rumor related to his adopted son Octavian, that he adopted him to hush him up to cover up a homosexual relationship with him as a kid.

It was all rumors so far as we know, no solid evidence. Accusing someone of being gay was a popular was to slander them at the time.

Cippalippus
Mar 31, 2007

Yeah, it was just a political rumor. He was very likely homosexual, or at least bisexual.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
No, you're misinterpreting me Cippalippus. I'm saying monotheists' military traditions are worse than Caesar's. Though, considering the hilariously inaccurate appropriations of Roman history and culture attempted by fascists, like yourself, and the intellectual trainwrecks your ideology attracts, I'm not particularly surprised your reading comprehension failed you.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Cippalippus posted:

Yeah, it was just a political rumor. He was very likely homosexual, or at least bisexual.

Bisexual if at all, as he had at least one direct offspring.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

CommieGIR posted:

Accusing someone of being gay was a popular was to slander them at the time.

Heh. Plus ça change...

Cippalippus
Mar 31, 2007

zeal posted:

No, you're misinterpreting me Cippalippus. I'm saying monotheists' military traditions are worse than Caesar's. Though, considering the hilariously inaccurate appropriations of Roman history and culture attempted by fascists, like yourself, and the intellectual trainwrecks your ideology attracts, I'm not particularly surprised your reading comprehension failed you.

Ah, who gives a poo poo about monotheists. Your writing is terrible, hopefully you're like me and english isn't your first language.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
Worth noting that none of the sexual categories y'all are using would've meant a drat thing in the classical Mediterranean, where relationships between adult men and adolescent boys (all of whom were expected to marry women and have children) were accepted across a whole spectrum of cultures. Philip II of Macedon had male and female lovers, leaned towards female. Alexander III was almost asexual but probably had something like sex with Hephaestion and still managed to get Roxana pregnant before he croaked. Caesar may have had a pederastic relationship with a much older Anatolian client king of the Romans as a teenager; in his adult life he was the political and social star of Rome's equivalent of the Roaring Twenties, and was known as a heterosexual playboy.

Regardless, let's go back to one of the fascist's earlier comments, something about Muhammad--and, I suppose, Muslims generally--never sparing their defeated enemies. Yes, I well remember accounts of the sack of Jerusalem, where the conquerors slaughtered anyone outside their religion indiscriminately, often in their own houses of worship. Oh, wait, the 637 of siege of Jerusalem by forces of the Caliph Umar, a companion of the prophet, was bloodless. That's right, it was the 1099 siege by the Christians of the First Crusade that saw the conquerors butcher the city's civilian population.

e:

Cippalippus posted:

Ah, who gives a poo poo about monotheists. Your writing is terrible, hopefully you're like me and english isn't your first language.
Is this what passes for a burn in whatever septic hole of the internet you usually occupy?

Cippalippus
Mar 31, 2007

I'm not sure, but is this autist sperglord arguing with me about religious slaughters in the middle ages? Thanks for a good laugh in such a grim and gloomy thread.

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

Cippalippus posted:

If you don't give a poo poo about monetheists, then don't comment on his post about monotheists. Your problem isn't your grasp of English, it's the combination of your very low intelligence and very strongly-held opinions. You're actually worse than people like Mightypeon or My Imaginary Girlfriend because of that, because if pressed, they can at least elaborate on their worldviews that have some internal consistency.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
So this is D&D, with all the poo poo going on today.

Cippalippus
Mar 31, 2007

Gimmick Account posted:

If you don't give a poo poo about monetheists, then don't comment on his post about monotheists. Your problem isn't your grasp of English, it's the combination of your very low intelligence and very strongly-held opinions. You're actually worse than people like Mightypeon or My Imaginary Girlfriend because of that, because if pressed, they can at least elaborate on their worldviews that have some internal consistency.

I was commenting on his post on Caesar. I don't even touch atheist "all religions are bad :hurr: " posts usually.
But anyway, why am I lacking internal consistency? I'm actually curious about this point.

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

"Life always hopes. When a definite object cannot be outlined, the indomitable spirit of hope still impels the living mass to move toward something--something that shall somehow be better."
"Oh, I think I'll go to D&D's ME thread, maybe find some insightfu-..."

:yikes:

Misandrist Duck
Oct 22, 2012
ISIS is launching a major assault on Kurdish positions in Erbil per CNN.

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

Cippalippus posted:

I was commenting on his post on Caesar. I don't even touch atheist "all religions are bad :hurr: " posts usually.
But anyway, why am I lacking internal consistency? I'm actually curious about this point.

Because you've been lionizing Assad from the day his forces first fired at then-peaceful protesters (and don't give me your old 'least-bad option' poo poo - You only eventually switched to that line after your original opinion on him proved too unpopular here) while displaying seething contempt for muslims in general. They 'need a strong hand', and all that... It's how you got your current custom title, if I remember correctly.

It's absolutely bizarre to me how much you seem to be invested in him, emotionally. And it makes little sense, what with your, ahem, 'background'.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Misandrist Duck posted:

More corpses.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Misandrist Duck posted:

They can't capture a tiny Kurdish town yet they think that the capital of Kurdistan is doable?!?!

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
Per Fox News, ISIS has reportedly burned alive 45 people in al-Baghdadi.

Imapanda
Sep 12, 2008

Majoris Felidae Peditum
edit:-late reply-

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

Al-Saqr posted:

They can't capture a tiny Kurdish town yet they think that the capital of Kurdistan is doable?!?!

I'm not seeing this on either the Guardian or Al Jazeera. Maybe the report is in error?

Anyway, put this down to 'disintegrating internal communications' between their forces. Such an attack cannot possibly succeed and would only serve to deplete their limited resources.

Scapegoat
Sep 18, 2004

Al-Saqr posted:

It could be for lots of reasons, rid themselves of some useless westerners or try and draw Kurdish forces from other areas among a few.

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK

Al-Saqr posted:

They could just be applying pressure to get the peshmerga to redeploy.

Cippalippus
Mar 31, 2007

Gimmick Account posted:

Because you've been lionizing Assad from the day his forces first fired at then-peaceful protesters (and don't give me your old 'least-bad option' poo poo - You only eventually switched to that line after your original opinion on him proved too unpopular here) while displaying seething contempt for muslims in general. They 'need a strong hand', and all that... It's how you got your current custom title, if I remember correctly.

It's absolutely bizarre to me how much you seem to be invested in him, emotionally. And it makes little sense, what with your, ahem, 'background'.

You're partly wrong. I started posting about Assad only in 2013, well into the civil war. I didn't post here during the proper Arab spring.
As for Sunni Muslims, I don't like their ideology. I don't like Mormons either, but at least Mormons aren't an actual, real threat here where I live.
I'm not invested emotionally in Assad, I just find this thread's general lack of realism annoying. It was very clear from the start that the opposition to Assad was willing to take anyone on board. I also find the American approach to the middle east terrible. We're 14 years into the "war on terror" and the world isn't a better or safer place.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
It could also be for propaganda, especially against the US. For all the bombing the US does, all ISIS has to do is release another video of them killing hostages to make them seem like a larger juggernaut than what they are.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

It looks like ISIS are attacking Gwer, which is south-west of Erbil and is situated on a strategic river crossing across the Zab. It's already changed hands a few times since ISIS launched their first offensive into Kurdish controlled territory,

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Cippalippus posted:

If by "spared" you mean "put them in jail and then had them strangled discreetly", yes.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
You never hear some dude expressing sincere concern about how Constantine having his wife steamed to death reflects on Christianity.

New Division
Jun 23, 2004

I beg to present to you as a Christmas gift, Mr. Lombardi, the city of Detroit.
Constatine may have never even converted to Christianity. He didn't even recieve baptism until after his death. I'm not sure the comparison really works.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

Al-Saqr posted:

They think that after they take Libya that they're gonna roll through Italy, France, parts of Germany, the UK, and eventually NE USA.

Their naivete is almost cute.

Anyway:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/16/world/cia-is-said-to-have-bought-and-destroyed-iraqi-chemical-weapons.html

Update on a story that broke last year. The US bought back the WMD that we gladly sold Iraq to throw at Iran before we invaded Iraq for having WMDs and throwing them at Iran.

Are we doing the right thing yet?

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

New Division posted:

Constatine may have never even converted to Christianity. He didn't even recieve baptism until after his death. I'm not sure the comparison really works.

He's still one of the most important people in Christian history and one of the key players in the formation of the conception of official Christian doctrine.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!

zeal posted:

Worth noting that none of the sexual categories y'all are using would've meant a drat thing in the classical Mediterranean, where relationships between adult men and adolescent boys (all of whom were expected to marry women and have children) were accepted across a whole spectrum of cultures. Philip II of Macedon had male and female lovers, leaned towards female. Alexander III was almost asexual but probably had something like sex with Hephaestion and still managed to get Roxana pregnant before he croaked. Caesar may have had a pederastic relationship with a much older Anatolian client king of the Romans as a teenager; in his adult life he was the political and social star of Rome's equivalent of the Roaring Twenties, and was known as a heterosexual playboy.

Regardless, let's go back to one of the fascist's earlier comments, something about Muhammad--and, I suppose, Muslims generally--never sparing their defeated enemies. Yes, I well remember accounts of the sack of Jerusalem, where the conquerors slaughtered anyone outside their religion indiscriminately, often in their own houses of worship. Oh, wait, the 637 of siege of Jerusalem by forces of the Caliph Umar, a companion of the prophet, was bloodless. That's right, it was the 1099 siege by the Christians of the First Crusade that saw the conquerors butcher the city's civilian population.

e:

Is this what passes for a burn in whatever septic hole of the internet you usually occupy?

Well to be fair, a group of Muslims did eventually wreck Jerusalem to the point it's population was a mere 2000 people. (Damned steppe hordes are way too powerful in the early game, ya know?)

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Cat Mattress posted:

If by "spared" you mean "put them in jail and then had them strangled discreetly", yes.

Not Cato, though Rome probably would have been better off if he'd been strangled earlier on.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Cippalippus posted:

I understood him. You're just really stupid.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

paranoid randroid posted:

You never hear some dude expressing sincere concern about how Constantine having his wife steamed to death reflects on Christianity.

You don't hear anyone defend that either.

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach
The real question is what would Constantine think about us-me relations

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

ImPureAwesome posted:

The real question is what would Constantine think about us-me relations

I'm pretty sure he would think I am the lord of the lands of the Earth and order an invasion.

• Locked thread