Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??

Kekekela posted:

it was on to the intro for that one cool Bon Jovi song (Cowboy or whatever).

Dude...

Wanted:Dead or alive

Why ya gotta be hating on the Jove it upsets me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Gaz2k21 posted:

Dude...

Wanted:Dead or alive

Why ya gotta be hating on the Jove it upsets me.

Sorry that was poorly phrased, I've got nothing against the Jove. What I was thinking was more like "that one Bon Jovi song with the really cool intro"

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Chalupa Joe posted:

Three days, and Ted just admit it would have been pretty sweet.

I would have paid a 5-pack price just for those two. :(

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Kekekela posted:

So, into riff repeater at 100% difficulty but slowed down and focusing on just nailing the rhythm perfectly and slowly bringing the speed up while muscle memory builds.

This really helped me. Also just realized you can preview riff repeater and dial in difficulty right where you want it. That's also probably obvious but I didn't know you can see it add or remove notes so you can avoid distracting tricky parts until you're ready for them.

Kekekela posted:

I also use the tuner from the menu and actually get in tune...

Now I'm using my clip on tuner which makes my tuning way better than I get in game.

I should also turn myself up, that's probably a good idea.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Yeah dynamic difficulty can be a bit off sometimes, like if adding in extra notes changes the whole feel and it's like learning the whole thing over again. Some of the rhythms are hosed too, straight 8th notes are easier than learning some stop-start pattern that isn't even in the song! It's always worth cranking to 100% and slow down just to get a look at the whole thing, and decide if it's too much. Just remember what % it was on before, so you can reset it to your original level if you need to

You should try Score Attack if you really want to test yourself. It's much less forgiving about inaccurate playing, generally it expects you to nail every note - you can sometimes get away with a flub, but you're really risking it if you rely on that!

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I've pretty much given up on the mini games since I spend most of the time waiting for stupid intro screens to load. My fault for sucking I guess but I also seem to get way more response errors in the mini games than I do in regular play.

E- oh right that's not really what score attack is, is it.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Yeah I don't really bother with them either, it's probably my computer but I don't want to spend 30 seconds waiting for my Sports Car to get going again because the game ignored what I played.

I still try to practice though, I just do it myself with a metronome - it's a great warmup too, recommended!

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

WingsOfSteel posted:

This site actually lists the songs.

Apparently, it's “Mountain Song”, “Been Caught Stealing”, “Jane Says”, “Just Because”, “Superhero” - Jane’s Addiction

I'd prefer to replace the last three with Stop, Pig's in Zen and Ocean Size, but the first two oughta be good.

Chalupa Joe posted:

Three days, and Ted just admit it would have been pretty sweet.

Yeah, something like
Mountain Song, Ocean Size, Three Days, Stop, and maybe Whores or Trip Away would've been my preference but this is still pretty cool. (I'd never even heard Superhero before but after listening to it, it sounds like it could be pretty fun to play)

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

On some Customsforge tracks there are options for DD_p.psarc or p.psarc files. I'm looking for dynamic difficulty so I go for the DD file, but is there any reason to use the p.psarc file instead? Do some people not want that option enough to make a second file at 100% difficulty?

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Snowy posted:

On some Customsforge tracks there are options for DD_p.psarc or p.psarc files. I'm looking for dynamic difficulty so I go for the DD file, but is there any reason to use the p.psarc file instead? Do some people not want that option enough to make a second file at 100% difficulty?

Dynamic difficulty is really annoying in many songs because you'll learn something at 50% that teaches you something completely different from 100%. I'd rather just use Riff Repeater.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Mr E posted:

Dynamic difficulty is really annoying in many songs because you'll learn something at 50% that teaches you something completely different from 100%. I'd rather just use Riff Repeater.

Yeah, there's maybe a slim chance that the person who made it won't gently caress up the DD levels but for the most part custom song DD sucks.

Slow scroll speed is a worse offender though, at least in my opinion. It just completely fucks with my rhythm and make a song unplayable for me.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
this may have been answered already but I don't want to pay for the search function....but does the cable for xbox 360 work for xbone? I assume yes but I'd like to know before I buy

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

spacemang_spliff posted:

this may have been answered already but I don't want to pay for the search function....but does the cable for xbox 360 work for xbone? I assume yes but I'd like to know before I buy

As far as I know the cable works on all the consoles and PC as it's just a USB cable.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

WesleyPipes posted:

As a pansy lead guitarist who just got a manly bass, how should I be plucking the strings ? I use a jazz 3 for guitar and that's great, but for the bass it feels to small. I tried a few picks and the 1.5mm Dunlop felt best but after playing a few songs my thumb stops working and feels like its about to break. I can score pretty high 90's on the Iron Maiden songs but after 2 I can play no more and am forced back to playing guitar like a gaylord.

Should I just man up or should I try something else like different picks or fingering ?

tl;dr I want to play Iron Maiden songs on bass but I'm a big cry baby guitarist

one thing a lot of people who play bass with a pick don't realize is that it's a totally different instrument. that's not meant to sound snarky or rude but you can do serious damage to your hands playing a bass w/ a pick like you would play a guitar. using a thick pick is good. holding your pick between the meat of your thumb and the side of your index finger so it's reinforced by all the bone and stuff in your hand is the right way. you want to attack the strings so that your pick hits parallel to the sring and you basically push the pick through the string (kind of like how you would play fingerstyle). you want to generate momentum with your forearms and not the muscles that connect your thumb to the rest of your hand (I'm not a hand doctor so I don't know the anatomy). really try hard not to let your other fingers rest on your bass.

keep playing and you'll build up endurance

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Hooray! 500 hours in Rocksmith 2014, and under 30 songs left on bass that I haven't gotten 95% on.

My hands hurt so so very much. :shepface:

EvilChameleon
Nov 20, 2003

In my infinite money,
the jimmies rustle softly.

Dewgy posted:

Hooray! 500 hours in Rocksmith 2014, and under 30 songs left on bass that I haven't gotten 95% on.

My hands hurt so so very much. :shepface:

Here, have something fun to work on! http://customsforge.com/page/customsforge_rs_2014_cdlc.html/_/pc-enabled-rs-2014-cdlc/you-cant-hold-no-groove-r5225

Bigsteve
Dec 15, 2000

Cock It!
Anyone got any success story's about going from total newbie using Rocksmith to being able to play a guitar normally? Looking into stuff its a useful tool but I cant find anyone saying they can do the songs outside of the game.

Just picked it up and my fingers are hurting. Only a couple of days in but have learned more in that time than trying to actually learn using books for years.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
If you keep master mode on and grind a song to >100% with 18 flawless playthroughs you'll have the muscle memory to play it any time. I'd rather learn how music is structured than memorise individual tracks so I spend half the time playing Session mode and have started taking lessons outside the game.

Books are good, lessons are good and Rocksmith is good. They're just different approaches.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Bigsteve posted:

Anyone got any success story's about going from total newbie using Rocksmith to being able to play a guitar normally? Looking into stuff its a useful tool but I cant find anyone saying they can do the songs outside of the game.

Just picked it up and my fingers are hurting. Only a couple of days in but have learned more in that time than trying to actually learn using books for years.

I bought a second hand guitar and amp many years ago after enjoying Guitar Hero, but never got around to learn more than a few chords through websites like Justinguitar.

In August I got a new laptop, and the first thing I did was to buy RS. I finally got around to playing more than once every other month, and it was very encouraging to get some focus in my practice and to get used to handling the guitar.

In October I finally got the nerves to put up a local ad looking for some other guitar player to practice with, which ended up as a three guitar players, a bassist and a drummer loosely forming a Dad Rock band that get together 2-3 times per month. From barely being able to play a chord I can now passably make my way as a rhythm guitar player through about a dozen songs outside Rocksmith.

Now I feel like I reached the point where I need to go outside Rocksmith, and I signed up for my first real guitar course at a local culture centre. I want to start learning how to play solos, add licks and all those fun stuff that Rocksmith honestly isn't that great at teaching. However, I would obviously not have reached this point without RS, as that guitar stood unused for some 4-5 years before I got the software. It is great at getting you over that initial bump, to reach a stage where you feel that you go from not being able to play to just being bad at it. I also expect Rocksmith to be a fun tool as I continue getting better, I just don't expect it to be my sole teaching tool anymore.

E: My experience is that RS isn't so great for actually learning a song. If I want to learn a song for the band, I will print out tabs and play along with youtube or whatever. I need to focus on how I sound rather than whether I miss a single note or not, and I need to memorize stuff. When I use RS I think too much about the game aspect of it, which is great for keeping the motivation to play daily, but not so good for actual rehearsal IMHO.

That is kind of what I mean with going outside RS once you get used to the basics: it's fun and good, but it is not everything you need to get good.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Feb 17, 2015

Choco Happy Ending
Mar 16, 2009

Mmmmfffppphggghhg
My problem is that when I'm playing something in Rocksmith the notes on the chart somehow bypass something in my brain and get translated directly into hand movements without actually thinking about or memorizing them. Even if I can get 100% and sound just right, I won't be able to play it on my own without sitting down outside the game and trying to piece the song together on my own. Even then it takes a long time and endless practice.

Choco Happy Ending fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Feb 17, 2015

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Bigsteve posted:

You'll be able to play them, the question is whether you'll be able to remember them. The game is like a tab that autoscrolls, so you're being told exactly what to do when you need to do it. You don't need to remember anything, and you don't really get any direction in that respect, so that's all on you really

I started out with tab books and it's a similar problem, only a little less since you're using them in a 'normal' playing environment. It's fine until you can't remember what comes next. The thing about music is it benefits from understanding the structure of a song, the basic theory like the chord progression used and the scale a lead part is in. Then you can summarise a song with a tiny bit of info, if you get lost you can work out where you need to be instead of having to remember a sequence, and even if you're lost you can wing it with some notes you know will fit

So yeah you can learn to play songs just fine, you just won't necessarily understand them or recall them too well without a bit of personal effort, but that goes for anyone learning songs. Also there are different skills that rocksmith doesn't really help with - playing a song without a perfect performance behind you, getting a good guitar tone, and tight rhythm. If you want to be able to play outside of the game, you need to practice that too

Bigsteve
Dec 15, 2000

Cock It!
Thanks for the answers. It seems it like I've been figuring, its great for giving a reward to the basics. Getting you over the hump of getting calloused fingers and memorising where the strings. I'm hoping it gives me the confidence that once I can hold my own I can go onto a few lessons and all that follows.

At the end of the day all I'm really after is being able to knock out a few riffs.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Just try playing the riffs outside of the game, or with it paused or whatever. Whatever helps connect more dots in your head. Ideally you'll know enough theory to spot what's happening and why, but that will come later if you get into learning a bit - right now just playing in a different situation will help reinforce your memory, or show you which parts you can't remember too well without it in front of you

But yeah, honestly trying to learn how the songs work helps a ton. Learning a riff is cool until you realise you only know the sequence, and when you're lost you don't know where to go next without running through the sequence again. I learned from tab books so there are a bunch of songs with power chords that I must have played hundreds of times, but I learned them like a series of shifts (move up two frets) or fret numbers for the root notes, so now when I try to play them I forget what the pattern was.

Then I take a look at the song and go 'oh ok it's Bb minor and the chorus jumps to the 5th and the solo is Gb minor pentatonic' and I suddenly have a basic map which is enough to get around and throw in alternative chord shapes and widdle some lead that fits even if it's not the :airquote:real:airquote: solo, and it's a hell of a lot easier to remember months down the line. This is what I wish Rocksmith had the most - something that clues you in to what's going on in the actual songs, since Session Mode teaches you all this stuff with progressions and scales. That's where I think you'll get the benefit of stepping outside of the game, stepping back to see the big picture and how all them notes in all them places are actually just from the E major scale, or whatever

Fumblemouse
Mar 21, 2013

STANDARD
DEVIANT
Grimey Drawer
I always felt Master Mode was a bit of a mistep, as faint tabs are just as easy to read as normal ones. I wonder if it would work better making single notes invisible at an increasing rate - a kind of reverse Dynamic Mode, only it starts out hiding one note in every ten and drops steadily through to only showing one note in every ten.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Uh, if you get mastery high enough for enough of the song, it doesn't show any notes on mastered sections (depending on how you play).

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Yeah the faint thing is if you keep messing up and the game fades the notes back in as a hint

Except if you play an old song and you can't remember any of it it still takes forever for the hints to appear, which is a bit weird

Fumblemouse
Mar 21, 2013

STANDARD
DEVIANT
Grimey Drawer

Schpyder posted:

Uh, if you get mastery high enough for enough of the song, it doesn't show any notes on mastered sections (depending on how you play).

Well, yes. But the faint notes before they disappear aren't really weaning you off using the notes because they are all still readable (maybe I just don't have sufficient willpower to look away), so it feels like you are just going from all the notes to nothing which is quite a jump. I was just proposing removing gradually more individual notes rather than fading all of them as potentially a better way to get them into your memory. As it is, I have to step away from rocksmith in order to get pieces to stick - not a bad idea in itself, I was just wondering if there is another way.

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010
I like fumble mouse's idea where it slowly takes away notes instead of entire pieces of the song.

Mercedes
Mar 7, 2006

"So you Jesus?"

"And you black?"

"Nigga prove it!"

And so Black Jesus turned water into a bucket of chicken. And He saw that it was good.

Shoot, I don't like Master mode at all. If I want it, I'll just look away from the screen.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Mercedes posted:

Shoot, I don't like Master mode at all. If I want it, I'll just look away from the screen.

It's also kind of hard to keep track of how you're progressing on songs when MM kicks in. "142% mastered" could mean you have the chorus memorized yet blow the solo every time. I kind of hope they add a "non-Mastered" percentage of notes hit for the next one.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Mercedes posted:

Yeah seriously, the first time that happened I was like wait I'm paying them to not show me how to play now?

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
turned it off, never looked back (also am completely unable to play songs without RS in front of me)

Maide
Aug 21, 2008

There's a Starman waiting in the sky...

awesmoe posted:

turned it off, never looked back (also am completely unable to play songs without RS in front of me)

I turn it off when I'm doing multiplayer with friends, and turn it back on when playing alone for the above stated reasons; it's actually pretty useful.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

It would be nice to have an option where Rocksmith called for phrases instead of just removing the notes.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

magiccarpet posted:

It would be nice to have an option where Rocksmith called for phrases instead of just removing the notes.

It'd also be great if I haven't played a song in a month that it wouldn't automagically have no notes showing the entire song before I mess up.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Snowy posted:

I never get the DD for CDLC, and never make them. The reason is that public tabs are very often inaccurate.

On top of that you have bad sync, unchecked chords, or in some cases just blatant inaccuracies.

For example in the DCLC for Chevelle's "Get Some" the breakdown goes from 2 on the B to open B and back up. The author was lazy and just copied each selection of measures 4 times over. Since I play using an amp, it sounds terrible unless I play it the "wrong." However since it has DD, I have to constantly reset the section back to 100%.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

baka kaba posted:

'oh ok it's Bb minor and the chorus jumps to the 5th and the solo is Gb minor pentatonic' and I suddenly have a basic map

Ok I wanted to give this a try and since I'm still working on that Dead or Alive intro I went with that. This is what I ended up with:

1. Key of D - Opens with a D harmonic, the open D is central to the main riff and a D-ish chord is the first bar or two of the verses... I feel confident on this one
2. Chord progression is: I flatIII IV flatVII ...the flat III seems weird, that is more in line with a minor key isn't it?
3. Main riff: dorian or aeolian? ...uses the 1 2 flat3 4 5 flat7, basically the same as the chord progression, which i just noticed...does that mean we'd say the song is 'D Dorian' ?

Is any of this right at all? :laugh:

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Offhand I don't know - if I get a bit of time I'll take a look at it, unless someone else does!

The problem with theory and pop and rock songs is that they don't always seem to fit, until you learn a few of the more advanced tricks. You'll get weird chords that sound good but 'shouldn't be there', if you're working from the perspective of 'here's the chords that go with C major'. A lot of 60's songs fit pretty rigidly to that formula, but it's harder to find stuff that does later on, because it can have a bit of a cheesy sound to it.

Anyway the bIII thing is a good example - yeah it is associated with the parallel minor key (as in C minor if you're in C major), but you can 'borrow' it if you're playing in a major one. Same goes for the bVI. First time I heard of this and tried those two chords out I went ''ohhhhhhhhh right', it's a really recognisable sound I'd heard in a bunch of songs. It kinda shifts things in a weird-sounding way

And with the Dorian thing, I think you'd have to analyse the chords and what notes go into them, and see if that matches with what you'd expect from Dorian or Aeolian. Like for Aeolian (natural minor, for anyone reading this!) you'd expect these chords:
Dm Edim F Gm Am Bb C

and for D Dorian you'd expect:
Dm Em F G Am Bdim C

(also if the song is in one of these minor-y keys that would explain the bIII chord, it's meant to be there!)

So the big difference there is probably in the 4th (the G chord) being either major or minor, but the others might pop up too. Again there might be all kinds of other chords and liberties being taken - you don't have to know how a riff works to know you just came up with something that sounds good, y'know? You could get into analysing the minutiae and that's cool too, but really I think what helps the most here is knowing enough to help you make sense of the song. If it looks like it's probably Dorian, and that helps, great! If it helps more to think of it as a minor key, but the G chord is always major, also cool. If the solo is in Dorian you can think of it that way, or you can think of it as a minor scale with a couple of the notes moved, whichever works for you

If you're interested in theory stuff I've seen people post about it in the Musician's Lounge, they're real good at it. I'm a scrub looking to make my guitar flailing a bit easier :v:

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

quote:

knowing enough to help you make sense of the song

Yeah, I'm kind of just trying to find the sweet spot where being able to have that quick theoretical description is better than my non-theory way of thinking about it would be (which would be something like "ok the main riff he plays that arpeggiated descending lick starting at the 14th fret then the verse is mostly just strumming D F G C")

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Kekekela posted:

Yeah, I'm kind of just trying to find the sweet spot where being able to have that quick theoretical description is better than my non-theory way of thinking about it would be (which would be something like "ok the main riff he plays that arpeggiated descending lick starting at the 14th fret then the verse is mostly just strumming D F G C")

Some kind of commentary youtube video for songs would be great. There are tons of videos where they show what you play, but I haven't found videos where they explain it like that. Sort of like a commentary track on movie DVDs, it would be great.