Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MVP
Nov 1, 2012

by Lowtax
I don't know why people are complaining about copyright infringement when you can sell things like Bro Force and Zelda (fan)art books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

MVP posted:

I don't know why people are complaining about copyright infringement when you can sell things like Bro Force and Zelda (fan)art books.
Given Bro Force got to make an officially licensed spinoff based on The Expendables I doubt it's an issue.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

TetsuoTW posted:

I hate them because there's no way in hell I'll ever even see that much money so gently caress those guys.

This but earnest. In the meanwhile, have a lovely search engine for lovely cryptocurrencies that already exists multiple times over and still doesn't work. 65K for a search engine gently caress off.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

MVP posted:

I don't even remember what you're talking about but Broforce is pretty clearly parody.

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

moerketid posted:

I noticed they had a "test our object recognition algorithms" link: http://www.robotbase.com/ai-platform/object-recognition

Only registered members can see post attachments!

DancingPenguin
Nov 27, 2012

I ish kakadu.

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

This but earnest. In the meanwhile, have a lovely search engine for lovely cryptocurrencies that already exists multiple times over and still doesn't work. 65K for a search engine gently caress off.

Was pretty close to backing this.
Then I noticed I can only pay in fiat currency?!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

MVP posted:

Bro force is textbook fair use. (I'm still surprised nobody tried to muscle in on them because fair use has been eroded in the states, but they were probably too small a target. Plus they worked with The Expendables)

Zelda licenced art books are obviously licenced. Fan-art books... what are you talking about, exactly? Those are probably illegal.

Do you mean like things sold at 'cons? Those often skirt copyright infringement, but mostly because they're too small. They're sold person-to-person and barely make any money, they'd garner more ill will if you went after them than just letting them be.

anticake
Nov 5, 2004

Biscuit Hider
I recall there was a Kickstarter for an Avengers fan art print set after the movie happened that got cancelled because it was illegal and they didn't want to get hit by a lawsuit since the total was thousands of dollars. They went on to sell the print set off a nondescript website anyway because they saw those dollar signs and thought that would be under the radar enough not to get sued.

edit: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/sketchcraft/earths-mightiest-tribute-print-pack is the one

anticake has a new favorite as of 22:23 on Feb 13, 2015

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Zaphod42 posted:

Bro force is textbook fair use. (I'm still surprised nobody tried to muscle in on them because fair use has been eroded in the states, but they were probably too small a target. Plus they worked with The Expendables)

Nobody went after them because they were/are small and it'd have been such a solid fair use/parody argument that the odds would've been in the developer's favor pretty heavily.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

Evil Fluffy posted:

Nobody went after them because they were/are small and it'd have been such a solid fair use/parody argument that the odds would've been in the developer's favor pretty heavily.

The company who made broforce is in South Africa, may have had something to do with it.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
Anyone else wondering if exploding kittens will also happen to have the most rejected pledges of all kickstarters?

I imagine no matter what they'll walk away millionaires, but a man can dream. Dream of a flash in the pan fad that dies just as it hits store shelves.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*
Myspace was garbage and nobody wants it back, but don't let that stop you.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Noyemi K posted:

Myspace was garbage and nobody wants it back, but don't let that stop you.

quote:

For all of you wondering about the legal technicalities of remaking such an established domain... Yes we foresee the possibility of encountering issues with the re-branding of the registered trademark "MySpace" but... due to all of the changes to what "MySpace" and the resale of the company prior to its re-lunch was known for, we are pretty confident that this problem will not occur or effect us in any way. Re-branding this domain "MySpace Retro" as opposed to the original site name is just in fact, the equivalent to an old arcade game. They have the tendency to go out of business and reappear 10 years later as a re-package labeled "Retro Games Console" as apposed to the prior "Games Console".

"We're aware that this is super hella a lot an IP violation, but because they changed the thing and I don't like it anymore, it's fine to make our own and use their name for it in direct competition with them because of flea market video game consoles"

also is re-lunch is the hobbit meal after second breakfast and regular lunch?

Owlbear Camus has a new favorite as of 08:05 on Feb 16, 2015

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
It's a re-lunch because the kickstarter guys are going to eat it when the MySpace people get upset.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Otisburg posted:

also is re-lunch is the hobbit meal after second breakfast and regular lunch?

Since it's MySpace we're talking about, it's probably some metaphor for when the lunch chicken turns out not to be cooked properly and comes back up.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

Reach for the stars on your tiptoes, kiddos. The only people who take game design classes seriously are people enrolled in them.

quote:

People might think that our games will be dumb or stupid. But, Beethoven wrote his first symphony at age 7, and we have been working on stories and ideas for these games since we were about 13 or 14. So that proves great minds can start young.
But coming up with stories and ideas for games is a lot easier than actually making them, kiddo.

As if there weren't enough gaming communities, and that's before you count stupid crowdfunding projects for them.

quote:

The number one challenge we will have with our project is gaining followers. In this day and age video games are in every home so we must go the extra mile to give other gamers a reason to support us. With the amount of social media out there it takes something special to bring people into your community. One advantage we have is a strong local support group of gamers.
There's such thing as a gamer support group? Anyway, that "gaining followers" thing is a journey you'll have to walk alone I'm afraid. I'm out.

Stupid idea but the video was mildly entertaining.

Also a very important part of being in the food industry is turnover—how many tables you fill per day. If people are sitting on their rear end playing Catan in your cafe all day, you aren't making money off other people coming in to have a seat at that table and ordering food.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
With 45 hours left to go, Exploding Kittens is 1.4 million dollars away from surpassing the Ouya and becoming the third most funded Kickstarter of all time.

C'mon people, dig deep!

Fluo
May 25, 2007

boom boom boom posted:

With 45 hours left to go, Exploding Kittens is 1.4 million dollars away from surpassing the Ouya and becoming the third most funded Kickstarter of all time.

C'mon people, dig deep!

:cripes:

It's depressing what people throw money at sometimes.

Noyemi K posted:

Also a very important part of being in the food industry is turnover—how many tables you fill per day. If people are sitting on their rear end playing Catan in your cafe all day, you aren't making money off other people coming in to have a seat at that table and ordering food.

Yeah and some of those food photos look abit.... D:

Fluo has a new favorite as of 05:54 on Feb 18, 2015

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Noyemi K posted:

This isn't a new business plan, there are a couple of these sorts of places that are successful in my city. They don't serve proper food though, just coffee shop type stuff.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Fluo posted:

:cripes:

It's depressing what people throw money at sometimes.

I didn't think they'd be able to make it, but I checked the stats, and they made half a million dollars in the last 24 hours alone.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

boom boom boom posted:

I didn't think they'd be able to make it, but I checked the stats, and they made half a million dollars in the last 24 hours alone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l59cg62wqpY

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

quote:

The biggest challenge for The Game Shelf is not finding our target market.
Board games have become a very lucrative field and restaurants will always be able to stay afloat. However, if the community doesn't know about The Game Shelf, it will fail.

Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha. Actual research shows that 1 in 4 restaurants fail in their first year, and 59% in the first 3 years, mostly because of personal reasons involving the owner(s), like not realizing how much commitment it takes to run a restaurant.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

BattleMaster posted:

This isn't a new business plan, there are a couple of these sorts of places that are successful in my city. They don't serve proper food though, just coffee shop type stuff.

Gaming bars and pubs have becoming quite popular. In fact, Central Florida, where this has Player 1 in Orlando, a video game bar, but even most gaming bars have tabletop sections for the Catan, Cards vs. Humanity or even the D&D crowd. It would probably be more successful, since you can charge for drinks and bars succeed by keeping people in seats and drinking.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Dungeons and Doobies

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Young Freud posted:

Gaming bars and pubs have becoming quite popular. In fact, Central Florida, where this has Player 1 in Orlando, a video game bar, but even most gaming bars have tabletop sections for the Catan, Cards vs. Humanity or even the D&D crowd. It would probably be more successful, since you can charge for drinks and bars succeed by keeping people in seats and drinking.

I would pay an establishment too much money for keeping me supplied with drinks and food (and have, in the past, when I lived in Washington) in a secluded, private room. It's way more convenient than gaming at someone's home, and if everyone chips in like $10 on top of whatever you drink, the cost is covered. On top of that, the 'house' usually has a nice selection of equipment for you to use - battle mats, miniatures, whatever.

The one I went to actually had a kitchen on premises. Their food was legitimately really tasty. I'd like to go back sometime.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Noyemi K posted:

Reach for the stars on your tiptoes, kiddos. The only people who take game design classes seriously are people enrolled in them.

This one infuriates me, it shows such a total lack of effort on everyone involved.

"We can't make any art because we don't have professional digital art making tools!" :reddit: gently caress off, they could download any number of free programs like GIMP or ArtRage, or 3d programs like Blender or SketchUp. Virtually no excuse other than laziness and lack of talent to show something in their lovely pitch, something other than an awful logo. I mean how did they make that then? How can they make a lovely logo but no artwork whatsoever? God I hate those people. :argh:

And "we only have TWO computers!" What the gently caress more do they want? I bet there's only two people on the loving 'team' anyway.

I did find this on their lovely youtube channel, so they have done some art:

But then of course one month later:

quote:

Sadly, we have bad news regarding Child's Play. Due to a coding bug that can't be fixed and left permanent damage to the game itself, we have sadly agreed to shut down the Child's Play project. But there is a good thing about this, we will get started on our next game after New Years. In planning process now.

:negative:

edit: From their facebook page, I found this funny also:

quote:

HELP WANTED
Available Jobs:
Lead Animation designer
Lead Blender Modeler
Lead Sound Engineer
Must be 14 or over to apply, send resumes and your own work to capstuckgamingstudios@hotmail.com
We need proof before you are hired. Need positions fast!

14 or older? :laffo:

KiddieGrinder has a new favorite as of 11:17 on Feb 18, 2015

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

KiddieGrinder posted:

"We don't actually know how to do whatever the gently caress it is we're promising. We'll try to find something easier to do instead."

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

KiddieGrinder posted:

This one infuriates me, it shows such a total lack of effort on everyone involved.

"We can't make any art because we don't have professional digital art making tools!" :reddit: gently caress off, they could download any number of free programs like GIMP or ArtRage, or 3d programs like Blender or SketchUp. Virtually no excuse other than laziness and lack of talent to show something in their lovely pitch, something other than an awful logo. I mean how did they make that then? How can they make a lovely logo but no artwork whatsoever? God I hate those people. :argh:

And "we only have TWO computers!" What the gently caress more do they want? I bet there's only two people on the loving 'team' anyway.

I did find this on their lovely youtube channel, so they have done some art:

edit: From their facebook page, I found this funny also:

14 or older? :laffo:

I used to do the same thing but with a lovely "book trilogy", though crowdfunding luckily didn't exist at the time and the only evidence of my embarrassment is an old freeservers website.

And by same thing I mean "try to hype a product that barely existed in consumable form outside of my ragged notebook". I think these kids have a lot more to worry about than having their game look professional (won't happen no matter how badly they want it to anyway.

quote:

Has anyone been in the mood to watch Pearl Harbor or Saving Private Ryan lately? ‪#‎NewGameComing‬ ‪#‎Hints‬
Hahahaha

Is it just me or does every "gaming" wordpress site use this lovely "edgy" theme? I can't believe they bought a domain registry for this crap. said without a hint of irony, yeah

shortstop
Jul 23, 2007

Young Freud posted:

I'd guess that they'd be a bit more successful if the games were a little more accessible and not a bunch of overly complicated games that require you to spend an entire day sitting with the overflow from the warhammer store. That however ruins the dream of playing with friends while eating deep fried goods outside of your mothers basement.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

KiddieGrinder posted:

Due to a coding bug that can't be fixed and left permanent damage to the game itself

Just chiming in to say this doesn't make like any sense.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

I dunno, I was able to create a pretty clear translation of all that technical jargon, myself.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

theflyingorc posted:

The permanent damage is to their brains :eng101:

Cheez posted:

I dunno, I was able to create a pretty clear translation of all that technical jargon, myself.

yeah but flyingorc's point is its total BS. There's no such thing as "can't be fixed"; its just "can't be bothered to fix it, gonna do something else now" which doesn't sound so hot.

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014

Noyemi K posted:

Game shelf.

I dunno, greasy finger food and board games sounds like a winning combo to me!

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

Oh man, I forgot about that poo poo. I stopped playing games with younger siblings because for my whole life I've hated touching greasy controllers and board game pieces and for some reason they can't stop doing it. Thank you for reminding me :gonk:

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
Whoever figured out microwavable popcorn is the bane of my existence. On the off chance they aren't already dead they will wish they were when I boil them in their own infernal drippings.

Ugh now I have to go wash my hands just from THINKING about that poo poo.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Zaphod42 posted:

The permanent damage is to their brains :eng101:

yeah but flyingorc's point is its total BS. There's no such thing as "can't be fixed"; its just "can't be bothered to fix it, gonna do something else now" which doesn't sound so hot.

what if their code opened all their textures in write mode (and they don't keep backups) and then scrambled them up and poo poo? If you're a really, really bad programmer I can think of a few ways you could permanently gently caress a project with coding errors. Especially if you don't use version control or keep backups of assets.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

The oldass cool space game Starflight actually rewrote it's code in the executable every time you saved the game so it was way easy to gently caress something up and need to completely reinstall.

But that was because computers at the time had less working memory than a modern wristwatch. Now there's pretty much no excuse for something like that other than blazing incompetence, and even in some kind of catastrophic failure why wouldn't you keep backups???

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

Whoever figured out microwavable popcorn is the bane of my existence. On the off chance they aren't already dead they will wish they were when I boil them in their own infernal drippings.

Ugh now I have to go wash my hands just from THINKING about that poo poo.

and kernel shells stuck in your gums/teeth!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

what if their code opened all their textures in write mode (and they don't keep backups) and then scrambled them up and poo poo? If you're a really, really bad programmer I can think of a few ways you could permanently gently caress a project with coding errors. Especially if you don't use version control or keep backups of assets.

Why would you ever write to the texture files? Nah man you'd have to intentionally be writing malicious poo poo, pretty much.

Also who the gently caress collects money for a kickstarter to make a game project and then doesn't keep AAAANY backups whatsoever? I mean honestly, that's just wrong. Lack of off-site backups is poo poo and it screwed over project zomboid, but they still had backups period. Not having any form of backup whatsoever would just be juvenile. Criminal negligence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Grammar Aryan
Apr 22, 2008

theflyingorc posted:

I've dealt with enough lazy/amateur programmers to be able to translate.

"We don't know what version control is and one of us changed something so now it won't compile and we're too lazy to debug things. gently caress it, I'm out."