Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Absurd Alhazred posted:

tar Israelis as being white supremacist

Nobody needs to 'tar' Israelis as white supremacists, bud.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

Cat Mattress posted:

So why are Roma the only group which doesn't get its very own eternal sanctuary?

I'm really confused by what people are arguing with this because all evidence points to them absolutely needing one. Europe is absurdly racist when it comes to the Roma. I don't think there's a single place in europe where they are considered as anything but subhuman pests at best.

Ignoring that, you are making a basic crabs in a bucket mistake. That since other groups are treated worse we should treat everyone worse. It's a very en vogue idea around here it seems lately.

tsa fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Feb 17, 2015

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
You don't need to tar Israel with anything, anyone who wants proof it's a hosed up country just needs to look at how people literally put out lawn chairs and BBQ pits to watch the Citizens of Gaza get there homes and family's destroyed.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

zeal posted:

Nobody needs to 'tar' Israelis as white supremacists, bud.

No-one should, because it's false and Bullshit Westerners, particularly Anglo-Americans, say, because they cannot move beyond American White Supremacy to analyze any situation in a way that is beyond "White bad, PoC good, hence whoever is bad has to somehow be white". Like any of you could distinguish Palestinians and Israelis on sight. :rolleyes:

And as I have repeatedly stated, there is no need for this American-centric bullshit when you have:

Venom Snake posted:

You don't need to tar Israel with anything, anyone who wants proof it's a hosed up country just needs to look at how people literally put out lawn chairs and BBQ pits to watch the Citizens of Gaza get there homes and family's destroyed.

So to conclude, stop making bad arguments and sounding like assholes is all I'm saying.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Venom Snake posted:

You don't need to tar Israel with anything because it unironically calls itself the Jewish State.

The fact that it takes the presence of the Islamic State for people to recognize the hosed-up ness of that very idea is telling.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Israel's bad enough as it is.

Enough of this "covert sterilization" bullshit. Some Ethiopian women were allegedly inappropriately pressured by NGO reps into taking certain types of entirely reversible long-term contraceptives in order to have those NGO's get them to Israel. People from the Health Ministry reaffirmed guidelines about making sure people knew about the medication they were taking, but tellingly, Gal Gabay, the reporter who "exposed" this, never did a follow-up. The worst case scenario is medical malfeasance pressuring people into taking a contraceptive, not being sterilized, so even in that case it is patently false to make the claim that you did. So stop lying. Israel does enough actual bad things, you don't need to dissemble about it.

If you want to stop sounding like a boring idiot parroting talking points from a few years ago, you may want to know of the many other problems Ethiopian Jews face. I've been waiting for someone to bother translating this story to English, but apparently Ethiopians in an immigration center in the poor peripheral city of Kiryat Gat went on a lock-in a few weeks ago, protesting against lack of services, exorbitant rents and fees, lack of access to appropriate language skills training, feeling like they're in a ghetto, dictatorial handling by the administration, etc. I may bother translating it later, or maybe Xander can, if they so choose.

What is very interesting is that while they complain about many things, they don't mention the "sterilization" thing. It's as if that's something that is mostly important to Western leftists in order to tar Israelis as being white supremacist, in order to avoid dealing with them as human beings, because them being monsters is so much easier, rather than being important to Ethiopian migrants themselves. Nobody in the leftist Anglosphere gives enough of an actual poo poo to bother following up on any of it, seeing as they've already gotten their pound of flesh from Israeli treatment of Ethiopian migrants, they can just harp on the same old story. Misleading or false? Who cares. :shrug:

Fair enough that it's based on faulty sources, but I'm not sure I get your point. Either way, Ethiopian Jews are considered to be second class citizens in Israel, treated as poorly as Arab Israelis, even though Israel is ostensibly the sanctuary of the Jewish people?

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

tsa posted:

I'm really confused by what people are arguing with this because all evidence points to them absolutely needing one. Europe is absurdly racist when it comes to the Roma. I don't think there's a single place in europe where they are considered as anything but subhuman pests at best.

Ignoring that, you are making a basic crabs in a bucket mistake. That since other groups are treated worse we should treat everyone worse. It's a very en vogue idea around here it seems lately.

The brits should have carved them a piece of India before they left. I'm sure that would have ended up equally awesome.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
This whole idea that an nation for a particular ethnic set of people will be some impenetrable united sanctuary forever is dumb anyway. The amount of religious and political civil wars shows that clear enough, as well as the number of brutal dictators and regimes that have risen inside countries. All are at least as common as conflicts that have risen out of ethnic strife. You can already see intra-Jewish violence between settlers and IDF already, which will only grow worse when US ultimately abandons Israel and the current course becomes unsustainable.

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Feb 18, 2015

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

tsa posted:

That's very strong; they are considered to be a bunch of petty thieves but they aren't considered to be murderous terrorists; and those people who speak up to defend them are not considered to be traitors against the nation. So they're still much better off than Arabs in Israel.

tsa posted:

The only thing I was doing was mocking MIGF's ignorance. You might have noticed I used his exact words except for changing the demonym.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Israel's bad enough as it is.

Enough of this "covert sterilization" bullshit. Some Ethiopian women were allegedly inappropriately pressured by NGO reps into taking certain types of entirely reversible long-term contraceptives in order to have those NGO's get them to Israel. People from the Health Ministry reaffirmed guidelines about making sure people knew about the medication they were taking, but tellingly, Gal Gabay, the reporter who "exposed" this, never did a follow-up. The worst case scenario is medical malfeasance pressuring people into taking a contraceptive, not being sterilized, so even in that case it is patently false to make the claim that you did. So stop lying. Israel does enough actual bad things, you don't need to dissemble about it.

If you want to stop sounding like a boring idiot parroting talking points from a few years ago, you may want to know of the many other problems Ethiopian Jews face. I've been waiting for someone to bother translating this story to English, but apparently Ethiopians in an immigration center in the poor peripheral city of Kiryat Gat went on a lock-in a few weeks ago, protesting against lack of services, exorbitant rents and fees, lack of access to appropriate language skills training, feeling like they're in a ghetto, dictatorial handling by the administration, etc. I may bother translating it later, or maybe Xander can, if they so choose.

What is very interesting is that while they complain about many things, they don't mention the "sterilization" thing. It's as if that's something that is mostly important to Western leftists in order to tar Israelis as being white supremacist, in order to avoid dealing with them as human beings, because them being monsters is so much easier, rather than being important to Ethiopian migrants themselves. Nobody in the leftist Anglosphere gives enough of an actual poo poo to bother following up on any of it, seeing as they've already gotten their pound of flesh from Israeli treatment of Ethiopian migrants, they can just harp on the same old story. Misleading or false? Who cares. :shrug:

The program happened and was confirmed. I know of many other forms of discrimination they face, and thanks for the detail, but "nonexistence" is kind of a standout you know? And even though it happened some time ago, the birth rate during that time was changed. It was a policy that achieved its aim, and the people who put the policy in place are probably quite satisfied with themselves for having checked the flow of blacks into Israel.

e: We went around on this before, your claims were so inaccurate that you lured Cefte out:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3647023&pagenumber=18&perpage=40#post431791422

You seem to have retreated back to denial.

woke wedding drone fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Feb 18, 2015

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
According to these guys who analyzed previous election polls and claim to have come up with a way to get more accurate predictions based on consistent errors made by certain pollsters the joint arab party is going to be the 3rd largest party with 14 seats, 1 more than bennet and twice as many as liberman. Likud and Avoda tied for first at 24.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/13XIAgbVk_c2Zxxa5xsR0EJFb6W9HMQpAjBImtFxZdxo/edit#gid=1038480399

parties to the right still have more seats and Likud is still most likely to lead a coalition but it's starting to reach the point where the only way to consolidate a less than marginal majority would be for Avoda and Likud to form a unity government. If Bibi gets all the center and right parties to go with him and gets Shas on board he'll have 65 seats, conceptually Shas doesn't really play nice with Lapid, Liberman or Bennet but politics does make strange bed fellows.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

emanresu tnuocca posted:

According to these guys who analyzed previous election polls and claim to have come up with a way to get more accurate predictions based on consistent errors made by certain pollsters the joint arab party is going to be the 3rd largest party with 14 seats, 1 more than bennet and twice as many as liberman. Likud and Avoda tied for first at 24.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/13XIAgbVk_c2Zxxa5xsR0EJFb6W9HMQpAjBImtFxZdxo/edit#gid=1038480399

parties to the right still have more seats and Likud is still most likely to lead a coalition but it's starting to reach the point where the only way to consolidate a less than marginal majority would be for Avoda and Likud to form a unity government. If Bibi gets all the center and right parties to go with him and gets Shas on board he'll have 65 seats, conceptually Shas doesn't really play nice with Lapid, Liberman or Bennet but politics does make strange bed fellows.

So how long would such a hypothetical government last?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHWjlCaIrQo

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

You're related to soup, Admiral.

tsa posted:

That's not what I was trying to say, though I see where you could get that impression. I was trying to get MIGF to follow his logic to its own conclusion: if the Jewish people deserve their own safe haven, surely other discriminated-against peoples should have the same? And of course his response was first to list off a bunch of other peoples that get their own homelands (all of whom happen to be powerful European nations :iiam:), then claim that the Roma people "don't want" a homeland.

The way to get the crabs out of the bucket, if I may mangle the metaphor, is not to give every ethnic/cultural/religious group its own set of walls to hide behind. Rather, we need to create multicultural societies absent of discrimination, in which any number of minorities may participate without fear.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

SedanChair posted:

The program happened and was confirmed. I know of many other forms of discrimination they face, and thanks for the detail, but "nonexistence" is kind of a standout you know? And even though it happened some time ago, the birth rate during that time was changed. It was a policy that achieved its aim, and the people who put the policy in place are probably quite satisfied with themselves for having checked the flow of blacks into Israel.

e: We went around on this before, your claims were so inaccurate that you lured Cefte out:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3647023&pagenumber=18&perpage=40#post431791422

No, I have actually dug up reading material and read it through a few times (at the time I was embarrassed because I thought it was more serious than I had considered, and was blind-sided; turns out there really isn't much more to read about it other than rehashed statements, so I'm no longer as embarrassed), so I think I am accepting a likely reality by denying that it was sterilization, and that the motive was to stem the tide of black Jews. Because it wasn't sterilization, and there are still government programs to bring black Jews in (like, as in, the very program under which an NGO pushed for this; Israel is still spending money bringing black Jews in). The fact that other than the various reposts and some tenuous second-guessing of government responses in the few months after that there has been no follow-up, and particularly, that there does not seem to be a wide campaign of actual Ethiopians in Israel railing about it makes me think that this was blown out of proportion by a sensationalist media, and latched on to by low-information anti-Israelis like you who can't be bothered to fact-check or stick with more substantial allegations and incontrovertible atrocities, of which, again, there are many.

The only reason you lot are sticking to this is that you need Israeli Jews to be white (especially the ones from Morocco, Iraq, Yemen, etc, which you would otherwise call "brown") because you are simply incapable of seriously analyzing a multi-ethnic struggle without there being a white agent somewhere.

That is also the reason why you will do anything in your power to minimize antisemitism, as it creates problems for your one-dimensional view of the world. You cannot deal with complexity. That's why you couldn't accept my arguments about how well Fatah or Hamas were acting, and processed it as Zionist propaganda, because that meant that I was saying Palestinian leaders had agency, and that's a no-no for those you have designated as victims.

Alien Arcana posted:

The way to get the crabs out of the bucket, if I may mangle the metaphor, is not to give every ethnic/cultural/religious group its own set of walls to hide behind. Rather, we need to create multicultural societies absent of discrimination, in which any number of minorities may participate without fear.

How do you do that? Is it possible? Where has this actually happened?

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Absurd Alhazred posted:

No-one should, because it's false and Bullshit Westerners, particularly Anglo-Americans, say, because they cannot move beyond American White Supremacy to analyze any situation in a way that is beyond "White bad, PoC good, hence whoever is bad has to somehow be white". Like any of you could distinguish Palestinians and Israelis on sight. :rolleyes:

Pretty much everyone held in the Saharonim concentration camp because Israelis go nuts at the thought of black "infiltrators" would disagree.

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

Absurd Alhazred posted:

How do you do that? Is it possible? Where has this actually happened?

Are you asking me how one creates an ideal multiculturalist society? gently caress, if I knew that I wouldn't waste my time arguing on the internet. Humanity is its own worst enemy, we're never going to get around to making an ideal anything. But that doesn't mean I can't compare an ideal to its opposite and seeing which way is the better direction to move in.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
I think it's pretty funny to think it's idealist that instead of walling minorities in your nation off and bombing them, you should just learn live with them.

Honestly If I was a minority I wouldn't give a fly loving if people were a ultra racist to me but I still had the same opportunities as almost everyone else does, which is why the dumb meme "WELL EUROPE IS ACTUALLY REALLY RACIST" is stupid because I don't give a poo poo if someone throws banana peels at me because I'm black if I have the same ability to succeed and receive equal treatment by the government.

Yeah obviously a society in which racism doesn't exist would be ideal, but I think an excellent place to start for Israel would be to not make them second class citizens and bomb them for entertainment.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Absurd Alhazred posted:

No, I have actually dug up reading material and read it through a few times (at the time I was embarrassed because I thought it was more serious than I had considered, and was blind-sided; turns out there really isn't much more to read about it other than rehashed statements, so I'm no longer as embarrassed), so I think I am accepting a likely reality by denying that it was sterilization, and that the motive was to stem the tide of black Jews. Because it wasn't sterilization, and there are still government programs to bring black Jews in (like, as in, the very program under which an NGO pushed for this; Israel is still spending money bringing black Jews in). The fact that other than the various reposts and some tenuous second-guessing of government responses in the few months after that there has been no follow-up, and particularly, that there does not seem to be a wide campaign of actual Ethiopians in Israel railing about it makes me think that this was blown out of proportion by a sensationalist media, and latched on to by low-information anti-Israelis like you who can't be bothered to fact-check or stick with more substantial allegations and incontrovertible atrocities, of which, again, there are many.

The only reason you lot are sticking to this is that you need Israeli Jews to be white (especially the ones from Morocco, Iraq, Yemen, etc, which you would otherwise call "brown") because you are simply incapable of seriously analyzing a multi-ethnic struggle without there being a white agent somewhere.

That is also the reason why you will do anything in your power to minimize antisemitism, as it creates problems for your one-dimensional view of the world. You cannot deal with complexity. That's why you couldn't accept my arguments about how well Fatah or Hamas were acting, and processed it as Zionist propaganda, because that meant that I was saying Palestinian leaders had agency, and that's a no-no for those you have designated as victims.

All this further goes to illustrate that Israel is not a safe haven for all Jews. There is massive discrimination against African Jews; I didn't say a thing about black vs. white, only that black Jews are considered by many Israelis to be foreigners and unwelcome. You projected that whole black vs. white thing, which is telling.

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

DarkCrawler posted:

Except that it is neither safe or eternal and Israel has been the biggest PR boon for anti-semitic terrorism for a good while, so...

So Jewish Israelis are responsible for acts of anti-semitism, up to and including terrorist killings? Does that only include those in Israel, or are they to blame for acts targeting non-Israeli Jews in European countries?

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

The Insect Court posted:

So Jewish Israelis are responsible for acts of anti-semitism, up to and including terrorist killings? Does that only include those in Israel, or are they to blame for acts targeting non-Israeli Jews in European countries?

No, but the Israeli insistence on bombing innocent people for entertainment isn't helping.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Crowsbeak posted:

So how long would such a hypothetical government last?

Which one? Center-Right government about 2 years probably. Unity government? I think a full year is optimistic.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Jewish Home MK Shuli Moalem was making a speech in front of some high school students:

The girls are wearing a shirt saying "Shuli, would you merry me?" the boys are wearing one saying "Bennet, will you merry me?" in response to high ranking members of the Jewish Home saying that they will work to ensure that same sex marriage will never be legal in Israel.

I thought it was funny, I'm sorry this isn't an "Israelis doing awful things" post.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Venom Snake posted:

I think it's pretty funny to think it's idealist that instead of walling minorities in your nation off and bombing them, you should just learn live with them.

Honestly If I was a minority I wouldn't give a fly loving if people were a ultra racist to me but I still had the same opportunities as almost everyone else does, which is why the dumb meme "WELL EUROPE IS ACTUALLY REALLY RACIST" is stupid because I don't give a poo poo if someone throws banana peels at me because I'm black if I have the same ability to succeed and receive equal treatment by the government.

Yeah obviously a society in which racism doesn't exist would be ideal, but I think an excellent place to start for Israel would be to not make them second class citizens and bomb them for entertainment.

You don't have the same opportunities if people treat you like poo poo.

Like, in Europe they make you send a picture with your resume which is totally not for racist reasons, honest.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

computer parts posted:

Like, in Europe they make you send a picture with your resume which is totally not for racist reasons, honest.

Erm, what?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

It's a thing in France and Germany at least.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

computer parts posted:

[citation needed]

In France, since 2006, companies with 50 employees or more are required to use anonymous resumes. See L1221-6 and L1221-7 of the code of work. "Information requested of a candidate for employment can only have a direct and necessary link with the candidate's professional skills and their ability to fit the job. In enterprises with at least fifty employees, written information sent by the candidate must be examined in conditions guaranteeing the candidate's anonymity."

So resumes do not need, and should not have, your name, age, sex, address, nationality, religious tradition, or mugshot. If a company requires such information with the resume, you have legal ground to sue them.

In Germany, anonymous resumes have been used since 2010.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

computer parts posted:

It's a little dishonest to imply that keeping out minorities is why the practice exists. About ~91% of the german population is ethnically german, so for that purpose it doesn't exactly follow to make it common practice for everyone when in many areas there's basically zero chance of there even being any minority applicants to begin with. Also, including a picture is far from compulsory (in fact, it's not allowed to outright demand one), and the practice has become distinctly less common in recent years, especially in larger companies.

Yes, there have no doubt been instances of applicants being rejected because their picture looked "too foreign" to the person in charge of hiring, and it is probably for the best that the practice is on its way out. But it's misleading to say that this is somehow supposed to be its primary purpose, especially considering that studies have shown that even without a photo, racist hirers are still plenty capable of discriminating on the basis of the names alone.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Cat Mattress posted:

[citation needed]

In France, since 2006, companies with 50 employees or more are required to use anonymous resumes. See L1221-6 and L1221-7 of the code of work. "Information requested of a candidate for employment can only have a direct and necessary link with the candidate's professional skills and their ability to fit the job. In enterprises with at least fifty employees, written information sent by the candidate must be examined in conditions guaranteeing the candidate's anonymity."

So resumes do not need, and should not have, your name, age, sex, address, nationality, religious tradition, or mugshot. If a company requires such information with the resume, you have legal ground to sue them.

In Germany, anonymous resumes have been used since 2010.

Just under half of all employment is done with businesses with fewer than 50 employees in France and the EU as a whole.

http://ec.europa.eu/enterprise/policies/sme/facts-figures-analysis/performance-review/files/countries-sheets/2013/france_en.pdf

(See the first table - "Small" is defined as "fewer than 50 employees" and Micro is smaller than that)

bpower
Feb 19, 2011

Perestroika posted:

It's a little dishonest to imply that keeping out minorities is why the practice exists. About ~91% of the german population is ethnically german, so for that purpose it doesn't exactly follow to make it common practice for everyone when in many areas there's basically zero chance of there even being any minority applicants to begin with. Also, including a picture is far from compulsory (in fact, it's not allowed to outright demand one), and the practice has become distinctly less common in recent years, especially in larger companies.

Yes, there have no doubt been instances of applicants being rejected because their picture looked "too foreign" to the person in charge of hiring, and it is probably for the best that the practice is on its way out. But it's misleading to say that this is somehow supposed to be its primary purpose, especially considering that studies have shown that even without a photo, racist hirers are still plenty capable of discriminating on the basis of the names alone.

I remember reading that even black american hirers discriminate against black sounding names. Subconsciously of course.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

computer parts posted:

Just under half of all employment is done with businesses with fewer than 50 employees in France and the EU as a whole.

http://ec.europa.eu/enterprise/policies/sme/facts-figures-analysis/performance-review/files/countries-sheets/2013/france_en.pdf

(See the first table - "Small" is defined as "fewer than 50 employees" and Micro is smaller than that)

As an expert on all European hiring practices, I

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

SedanChair posted:

To be fair, no one's ever been able to prove the existence of a top-down policy or pin responsibility on any particular organization - which is especially important since the organization whose doctors were prescribing the birth control shots was a NGO not under the direct control of the Israeli government. As I recall, there was some concern in the agency about the Ethiopian Jews having children they couldn't afford (and therefore ending up on welfare) and therefore there was some pressure to ensure that Ethiopian Jews were aware of and had access to birth control, but the person in charge of that medical program, Dr. Rick Hodes, has such a fantastic record on Africa that it is basically impossible for any racism accusation to stick to him. The man has personally adopted no less than five Ethiopian children, which pretty much rules out any possibility that he hates Ethiopians or thinks they're inferior, and as such it is incredibly difficult to believe that he would approve of any official forced sterilization program.

Yet there were clearly Ethopian women being given birth control shots without informed consent. Why? I'm guessing that individual doctors working for the NGO, frustrated with the difficulty of educating their patients about birth control and believing that it was ultimately for their own good, prescribed birth control shots without the consent or knowledge of either the patients or the leadership. Since family planning is another one of the many medical services that most poor Ethiopian Jews don't have access to, the leadership did not see any need to investigate the high rates of Depo-Provera shots being given or the significant drop in birthrates compared to the general population, believing that it was entirely voluntary and that the population was simply voluntarily taking full advantage of a service they wouldn't have had access to before. The letter of congratulations for the declining birthrates sent by the government was not an endorsement of the success of an explicit plan, but just a general "thank you for making those poor immigrants pop out fewer welfare babies" letter - if there was a real government plan to sterilize them, there's no way they would've put that on paper. Even Hitler had the sense not to leave such obvious evidence.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

The Insect Court posted:

No?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Main Paineframe posted:

To be fair, no one's ever been able to prove the existence of a top-down policy or pin responsibility on any particular organization - which is especially important since the organization whose doctors were prescribing the birth control shots was a NGO not under the direct control of the Israeli government. As I recall, there was some concern in the agency about the Ethiopian Jews having children they couldn't afford (and therefore ending up on welfare) and therefore there was some pressure to ensure that Ethiopian Jews were aware of and had access to birth control, but the person in charge of that medical program, Dr. Rick Hodes, has such a fantastic record on Africa that it is basically impossible for any racism accusation to stick to him. The man has personally adopted no less than five Ethiopian children, which pretty much rules out any possibility that he hates Ethiopians or thinks they're inferior, and as such it is incredibly difficult to believe that he would approve of any official forced sterilization program.

Why? Just because he thinks black Jews should be population controlled doesn't mean he thinks the existing ones shouldn't be cared for. People are sickos and compartmentalize.

I have no doubt that many of the people who lied and deceived to give the shots thought they were doing the women a favor. They're paternalist as well as racist.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Alien Arcana posted:

Are you asking me how one creates an ideal multiculturalist society? gently caress, if I knew that I wouldn't waste my time arguing on the internet. Humanity is its own worst enemy, we're never going to get around to making an ideal anything. But that doesn't mean I can't compare an ideal to its opposite and seeing which way is the better direction to move in.

I am not being flippant. If I am to argue for multiculturalism in the Israeli context I need to show Israelis why this is a good path. It helps to have good examples, and step-by-step policies that can ease into it, if at all possible.

Venom Snake posted:

No, but the Israeli insistence on bombing innocent people for entertainment isn't helping.

I'm sure it isn't, but just like ISIS isn't helping improve the view of Muslims in the Western world, I wouldn't expect leftists/progressives to be harping on this as a way to downplay Islamophobia's significance.

SedanChair posted:

All this further goes to illustrate that Israel is not a safe haven for all Jews. There is massive discrimination against African Jews; I didn't say a thing about black vs. white, only that black Jews are considered by many Israelis to be foreigners and unwelcome. You projected that whole black vs. white thing, which is telling.

Did I also project you downplaying antisemitism in Europe? :rolleyes:

How about you start by admitting that calling whatever happened there "forced sterilization" is bullshit even if all the facts align in your favor, then I can take the rest of your posts more seriously. Otherwise I'm going to stick to my assumption that you are willfully misinformed.

For my part I'm going to slowly dig through my connections and see if I can get more of a straight answer about what the current understanding is. So far it seems there were years of back-and-forth between some complainants and the Ministry of Health, and the MK's bringing this up included a member of Yisrael Beitenu and another from Jewish Home, two of the most racist and white-looking parties in the Knesset, really muddling your argument about this being proof of systemic racist white supremacy, which is probably why you don't want to learn more. Even the website for the Israeli Association for Ethiopian Jews doesn't have anything more recent than July 2013, so provisionally I would say that it was more sensationalism than substantive, and definitely does not merit the likes of you smugly maintaining it as proof of Israel's genocidal tendencies towards Jews from Sub-Saharan Africa.

Moving on

A few updates:

John Boehner basically admits to actively misleading the Executive about Bibi's speech, saying he didn't want interference from them. I will be very happy when that idiot is lead out in cuffs for breaching the Logan Act. It'll be a bad year for Speakers. It won't happen, but a man can dream!

As for Haneen Zoabi's disqualification, as predicted it was overturned by the Israeli High Court of Justice, so she will run as usual, and I will have the chance to vote for her (or, rather, for the list in which she is included).

More curiously, Baruch Marzel, whose disqualification was upheld in the past, can in fact run this time. But he's part of a marginal party and is unlikely to enter anyway.

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I am not being flippant. If I am to argue for multiculturalism in the Israeli context I need to show Israelis why this is a good path. It helps to have good examples, and step-by-step policies that can ease into it, if at all possible.

Okay, fair enough. You're right, it's much easier to consider such ideas in the abstract than to cover the specifics.

Unfortunately, if you're looking for a way to move Israel in a better direction, I'm not sure it's possible, not as long as Israel and Palestine are in open conflict with one another. "Peaceful co-existence is impossible" is a self-fulfilling prophecy. That's precisely the reason why cultural enclaves like Israel are a bad idea.

Someone educate me: was there this much animosity between Muslims and Jews before the early Zionists started raising hell in British Palestine?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Alien Arcana posted:

Okay, fair enough. You're right, it's much easier to consider such ideas in the abstract than to cover the specifics.

Unfortunately, if you're looking for a way to move Israel in a better direction, I'm not sure it's possible, not as long as Israel and Palestine are in open conflict with one another. "Peaceful co-existence is impossible" is a self-fulfilling prophecy. That's precisely the reason why cultural enclaves like Israel are a bad idea.

Well, it's easy to say now, but when it first came about Europe was full of the bodies of Jews trying to assimilate and generally attempt multi-culturalism. I don't see how the prospects changed, really. They were bad then and they are bad now. It being "a bad idea" also doesn't just will it away.

quote:

Someone educate me: was there this much animosity between Muslims and Jews before the early Zionists started raising hell in British Palestine?

To my understanding there was mostly peaceful coexistence, but there were points of conflict, like around the Wailing Wall (which at the time was on one side of an alley bordered by the Moroccan Quarter, which was demolished in 1967 right after the occupation of East Jerusalem to make way for the plaza that is there today), and around the Tomb of the Patriarchs (Jews were only allowed to go up to the seventh step back then), and general tensions. There was a self-feeding process of Jews feeling unprotected or not as well-off under Ottoman Law, so if they could, they would sign up to the various Western Capitulations (basically a form of diplomatic immunity which gave you the right to be tried by a foreign country for whatever crimes you commit), making Jews generally stand out more as being outside normal laws, etc. It was the same for Armenian Christians, which seems to have been at the root of the Armenian Genocide: many texts by Turkish nationalists decried the sense of humiliation at being attacked by Westerners on the street and the local Ottoman police not being able to do anything about it.

The conflagration that seemed to make it clear that it will not end without violent conflict was the Hebron Massacre of 1929 (as well as other killings, some by Jews against Arab Palestinians), in which Jews were targeted as Jews despite some of them having lived in the area for generations and having close ties with the locals. It made it clear that while to them they were more closely aligned with their surrounding than with newcoming Jews from abroad, the Palestinian Arabs can see that they are more than happy to work together as Jews, which was already building up as a threat since this was after a few decades of lands being bought by Jews to settle in from Europe as well as some Arab and Muslims countries, a movement which predates official Zionism as an organization.

So I would say "early Zionists raising hell in British Palestine" is not the culprit, but rather poor integration of minorities into the Ottoman Empire coupled with long-term deterioration of its power with respect to Western powers due to the capitulations and rampant mismanagement, along with rising nationalism throughout. Many of these factors are similar to those which were extant in Europe, also made up of collapsing empires and rising nationalism, except that the Ottoman Empire did not have such a pervasive body of antisemitic literature and the treatment of Jews was, on the whole, more favorable on average than in European history.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
I suppose I could be persuaded to call it a "forced birth control" program. I mean if you are getting Depo shots without knowing that it is suppressing your fertility, and nobody tells you and continues the shots, the effective result is sterilization, and the only reason they stopped is because they got caught, but okay.

In other news, how the gently caress do you spend 20K a month to have two houses cleaned?? Give me 10, I will be on the first plane to Israel with a scarf and rubber gloves, Bibi.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Look, ensuring free and open access to birth control sometimes requires giving birth control access to women's bodies without their knowledge or consent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

computer parts posted:

You don't have the same opportunities if people treat you like poo poo.

This is a thing in almost every country on earth, but tit for tat Europe has far better anti-discrimination laws for employers than most places in the Western World.

• Locked thread