Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

DARKSEID DICK PICS posted:

Tell them to put it on my loving PC already and I'd have begun yesterday!!

its really weird that they put xiii and xiii-2 on pc but not lr. it's easily the best of all of them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

hubris.height posted:

its really weird that they put xiii and xiii-2 on pc but not lr. it's easily the best of all of them

LR is coming to PC, it's just taking them longer.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
Yeah, they announced all three at once, but the turnaround time's been slower on LR. I had assumed it was a one-year thing but we're past that point and still no word now.

The optimist in me likes to think that this means they're going to fix the jankiness in the ports' engine once and for all, but I'm probably expecting a little too much given the trippy hitching XIII-2 PC has.

\/\/\/ edit: They only had two months' turnaround between the first two (October 9th to December 11th), we're due for the next one on that plan. And even about a month in they went "preorder now/here is the release date".

claw game handjob fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Feb 17, 2015

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

hubris.height posted:

ImpAtom posted:

LR is coming to PC, it's just taking them longer.

I thought they were just spacing them out. Like for the same reason a toy company wouldn't release Darth Vader and Boba Fett action figures at the same time as Greedo. (Or releasing Smash U months after Smash Bros 3DS).

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

mycot posted:

I thought they were just spacing them out. Like for the same reason a toy company wouldn't release Darth Vader and Boba Fett action figures at the same time as Greedo. (Or releasing Smash U months after Smash Bros 3DS).

FFXIII-2 came out real soon after FFXIII. LR is taking a fair bit longer than the gap between those two.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

punk rebel ecks posted:

Seriously, why the gently caress is Xenoblade designed around people who do sidequests as soon as they can. I just want to play the main story while doing side quests here and there but the game makes it impossible with constant difficulty spikes. I'm at the part where I have to open up the gate to prison island by breaking the two seals and after the previous cakewalk boss fight (after leveling up a level) I now have to go through a tough wave of enemies just to get to where I need to go.

The problem with Melia is that her AI strongly prefers to hold onto her summons to use them as buffs. You have to specifically give an order to attack before she'll fire them off. Alternatively, you could control Melia yourself and watch everything melt and/or explode.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

The problem with Melia is that her AI strongly prefers to hold onto her summons to use them as buffs. You have to specifically give an order to attack before she'll fire them off. Alternatively, you could control Melia yourself and watch everything melt and/or explode.

I learned the bolded recently. Anyway I went through it again and it really wasn't that hard. I managed to clear both seals and then pretty easily beat the boss. I find it odd that the special Kromar was significantly harder to defeat than the boss as I could not beat it. I was at Level 41 and just turned 42. So I don't know if my level is out of line or not.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

ImpAtom posted:

Nier is like the worst game in the world to accuse of being too literal considering they literally changed the protagonist's relationship with Yonah entirely to better convey the intent to the American audience.
This is the thing that surprised me the most when I played. It was pretty cool.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rascyc posted:

This is the thing that surprised me the most when I played. It was pretty cool.

Yeah, I wouldn't approve of it for every game (if just because yes, there are siblings who care strongly about each other) but in terms of conveying what Nier was going for it was dead-on.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

punk rebel ecks posted:

I learned the bolded recently. Anyway I went through it again and it really wasn't that hard. I managed to clear both seals and then pretty easily beat the boss. I find it odd that the special Kromar was significantly harder to defeat than the boss as I could not beat it. I was at Level 41 and just turned 42. So I don't know if my level is out of line or not.
FWIW I played through all of Xenoblade without ever doing more than a couple side quests and I never got tripped up on any bosses. I don't think there's any difficulty spikes that should really trip you up hard as long as you play reasonably well. The zones would always give me a lot of experience when I first entered them which would put me on the correct level for the zone. I don't know if it's even possible to be underleveled unless you avoid a lot of combat. I killed everything I ran into and sometimes I'd explore a little if I saw something interesting (like that lizard fort or something in that one green zone, heh).

And yeah, never let the AI control Melia. It's really bad.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Nier is like the worst game in the world to accuse of being too literal considering they literally changed the protagonist's relationship with Yonah entirely to better convey the intent to the American audience.

I was under the impression that Father Nier was what Cavia had planned originally but were told to gently caress off by SE of japan pretty much, is that not true?

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I was under the impression that Father Nier was what Cavia had planned originally but were told to gently caress off by SE of japan pretty much, is that not true?

I think what evidence there is points to it being the other way around, with Brother Nier being the original vision or whatever. That's what really surprises me, Father Nier has no business being as good as he is because in concept he sounds like a soulless marketing change.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Does anyone remember Summoner? Is it worth grabbing if it's extra cheap on Steam?
And what about that PS2 sequel? Is that one worth a drat?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ibram Gaunt posted:

The opposite seems to be true based off the stuff they released. Brother Nier was the original idea (and post-game material they released in Japan focuses on him).

SelenicMartian posted:

Does anyone remember Summoner? Is it worth grabbing if it's extra cheap on Steam?

Eeh. They were kind of okay for the era but not really worth going out of your way for.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

SelenicMartian posted:

Summoner 1 had some interesting ideas but it also had some pretty horrifying difficulty spikes, as well as horrible world map traversal and stealth sections. On the other hand it introduced me to the Dead Ale Wives D&D sketch. So I can't hate it too much.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

SelenicMartian posted:

There's some weird-rear end cosmology poo poo in them if that's your thing, especially in the second one but they're generally nothing special and dated pretty badly in their own generation. Also 2 had broken as gently caress crafting and combat mechanics and it was pretty easy to OHKO to penultimate boss, which was kinda funny

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
Is there any information on Devil Survivor 2: Record Breaker's release date beyond "early 2015"? It's apparently practically a sequel packed in with the original game, so I'm interested.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

SelenicMartian posted:

I loved Summoner when it came out but in hindsight it's a pretty bad game. In 2000 it had an incredibly impressive world that was like a D&D nerds wet dream. Imagine Athkatla or Baldur's Gate modeled in full 3D and that's the very first town you visit.

Now imagine traversing Athkatla or Baldur's Gate in full 3D while moving at walking speed, even when running. Imagine literally every map being the equivalent of 5x5km in scale and you cannot do anything but walk from point A to point B. The combat has massive difficulty spikes where you can be attacked by enemies far above your level with no hope except activate solo mode and pray none of the enemies are faster than you. The skills give no indication as to what they do so you can easily gently caress yourself with poor choices that will NEVER hit an enemy or create a skill combo that will murder everything in one hit. The combat itself is like the worst aspect of Vagrant Story where you have to time button presses to string combos except you also have a party to worry about!

I still think it's an interesting game but its downfall was being a PC style RPG specifically designed for consoles. I'd recommend fast forwarding through an LP to see how cool the world was or see some of the higher level combat where some pretty impressive summons and spell effects are going off. But save your 60 hours, trust me.

As for the sequel, I think that is actually worth playing. The city areas you revisit are small with only dungeons being large. The combat is action based with skills that are unique to the character. And all the characters have interesting things to do like an assassin character who has a surprisingly good stealth mechanic tied to her. It's a much shorter, more condensed game. And it has a really interesting cosmology and art direction. Just like Planescape is so far removed from every RPG setting, Summoner 2 looks like nothing else.

It loving sucks that Summoner 2 didn't get a PC release because it's a legit good game that got no fanfare.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Summoner 2 isn't hard to track down on PS2 at least. I should start it. Volition actually developed it. I wonder if they have the rights?

When it comes to Nier I think Father Nier fits the game better, but Brother Nier has his strengths (Like pretty much him being a cliche JRPG protagonist until the game starts tearing him down) It's actually interesting how both end up being the opposite of the other in tone. As the games goes on Father Nier mellows out and opens up to Weiss, Kaine, and Emil while Brother Nier becomes jaded, cynical, and violent.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Feb 18, 2015

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.
Was it Summoner 1 or Summoner 2 that got ported to the Gamecube? I remember reading about it in Nintendo Power and thought it looked neat.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Head Hit Keyboard posted:

Was it Summoner 1 or Summoner 2 that got ported to the Gamecube? I remember reading about it in Nintendo Power and thought it looked neat.
It was 2.

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

Agree Summoner was a lot of fun at the time but it's aged terribly. It's cheap as hell though, so I'd say it's worth picking up in any case.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Heavy neutrino posted:

Is there any information on Devil Survivor 2: Record Breaker's release date beyond "early 2015"? It's apparently practically a sequel packed in with the original game, so I'm interested.

Not that I can tell, I've been on the lookout too because I really loved DS2.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

This whole discussion made me start playing it again, and first random encounter a fire imp drops a garnet, worth 7000 gold. :wtc:
This game was never that nice to me before. Also holy hell I forgot how hilarious the character models all look. Joseph's supposed to be in his mid 20s I think, but well...

EDIT: Last I checked, I think they're shooting for a early-mid May release for Devil Survivor 2: Record Breaker.

Codiekitty
Nov 7, 2014

Ibram Gaunt posted:

There's actually two versions of the game in Japan: Nier Gestalt and Nier Replicant. Gestalt is the same we got here, with the Father Nier, and is what you might call the original verison. Nier Replicant is where he was changed into a teenager who looks like Raiden from Metal Gear Solid to be more appealing to Japanese audiences.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Codiekitty posted:

There's actually two versions of the game in Japan: Nier Gestalt and Nier Replicant. Gestalt is the same we got here, with the Father Nier, and is what you might call the original verison. Nier Replicant is where he was changed into a teenager who looks like Raiden from Metal Gear Solid to be more appealing to Japanese audiences.

Taro Yoko's said in an interview that young Nier was the original design, and it was after discussions with Square Enix's studio in Los Angeles that older Nier came to be designed.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I'm seriously considering Monster Hunter 4 as my next "RPG" because of the RPG dearth lately on handhelds. I don't really feel like buying the new 3ds though /livejournal

Codiekitty
Nov 7, 2014

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Taro Yoko's said in an interview that young Nier was the original design, and it was after discussions with Square Enix's studio in Los Angeles that older Nier came to be designed.

So wait, did they originally plan him as a teenager, change him into an adult, then go back to the teenager for Replicant?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Codiekitty posted:

Gestalt is for most practical purposes one of those reimporting changes from the US version releases that Square Enix so loves putting out. Absentee dad leaving the child rearing to the oldest son is a ridiculously pervasive trope among middle class Japanese life and media but really wouldn't go over as well here and so Dadass was born.

Codiekitty posted:

So wait, did they originally plan him as a teenager, change him into an adult, then go back to the teenager for Replicant?

More like 8-10 year old grows up to 16-17 year old in Replicant.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Rascyc posted:

I'm seriously considering Monster Hunter 4 as my next "RPG" because of the RPG dearth lately on handhelds. I don't really feel like buying the new 3ds though /livejournal

It works on the old 3ds too though it looks like poo poo there

wateyad
Nov 17, 2007

The power of the Outsider is

...dat ass
:yosbutt:

Codiekitty posted:

Replicant isn't some sort of special edition, they were developed and released simultaneously in Japan. Gestalt was the 360 version and Replicant was the PS3.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Codiekitty posted:

It was originally going to be just the teenager, and then they developed both the teenager and adult versions together. It was also originally planned as a 360 exclusive, but around halfway through development, they went multiplatform.

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

SelenicMartian posted:

I will always remember Summoner as the game where your a.i. companion had good pathfinding. Like they would go one side of the map to the other without difficulty. Other then that it was a cheap 3D knockoff of Baldur's Gate.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

TARDISman posted:

This whole discussion made me start playing it again, and first random encounter a fire imp drops a garnet, worth 7000 gold. :wtc:
This game was never that nice to me before. Also holy hell I forgot how hilarious the character models all look. Joseph's supposed to be in his mid 20s I think, but well...

EDIT: Last I checked, I think they're shooting for a early-mid May release for Devil Survivor 2: Record Breaker.

Oh god, it's Frollo from Hunchback of Notre Dame! :stonk:.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

TARDISman posted:

I'm pretty sure the design document for Summoner was Volition recreating their office D&D game then building the story around that. And everybody hated the DM so you get things like a level 1 party bumping into a random encounter with level 10 monsters or a skeleton mook drops a godslayer sword because it has a .00001% chance of doing so. Which could all happen in old school D&D but the DM's job was to prevent that.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I tried getting into Tales of Symphonia and quickly got bored of the hit-hit-hit-delay-hit-hit-hit-delay combat (I really can't stand 3 hit max combos in games after playing Arkham/Ys). Does Xillia improve on this or will I just be sour on it for the same reasons?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
So yeah those that have been saying play as Melia in my party were spot on. I tried playing as Shulk to defeat the boss in the Ice Mountain area right before Sword Valley and got whooped. Switched to Melia and beat him on my first try. The A.I. in the game is really bad.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
IIRC you can stack lightning damage gems on her and release her lightning orbs or whatever for insane damage. I think she and Riki were both able to stack dps this way.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

Quest For Glory II posted:

I tried getting into Tales of Symphonia and quickly got bored of the hit-hit-hit-delay-hit-hit-hit-delay combat (I really can't stand 3 hit max combos in games after playing Arkham/Ys). Does Xillia improve on this or will I just be sour on it for the same reasons?

Graces f has probably the best Tales combat system. It's all about dodging attacks and chaining various moves. The plot, though, uhh.... Tales games are never strong on that front but Graces is particularly stupid.

I haven't played Xillia but I think it has some of the elements from Graces, like CC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Sunabouzu
Nov 13, 2009

The face of true terror.

Quest For Glory II posted:

Yeah I was in the same boat but I tried to play older tales games coming from Xillia, it's nowhere near as slow as everything pre-graces. I'd recommend giving Xillia a shot, if you like it a lot you can move on to Xillia 2.