Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

quote:

“Last Week Tonight With John Oliver is a parody show, known for getting a laugh through exaggeration and presenting partial views in the name of humor,” said Philip Morris, which is known for presenting partial views in the name of protecting its profits.

:vince:

Just god drat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!

one sexy loser posted:

Can anyone explain why exactly Florida has such a population of loons? Is it the humidity?

It doesn't compared to any other state, they just have an open records law that let news outlets know about crazy poo poo that happens.

Zythrst fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Feb 18, 2015

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

I was expecting some juicy payoff from that segment and drat if Phillip-Morris didn't deliver.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

one sexy loser posted:

Can anyone explain why exactly Florida has such a population of loons? Is it the humidity?

You should watch this:
https://vimeo.com/118532076

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Seconded. Florida Man is amazing.

messagemode1
Jun 9, 2006

They sound ridiculous but "to be fair" the same could be said about a lot of different products. Alcohol is the easiest example that's marketed in a similar way. Unhealthy food is another example: providing short term pleasure at the expense of long term negative health effects, and it's hard to imagine a successful political or social movement that would curtail advertising or sales of either in the same way that tobacco is here.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

one sexy loser posted:

Imagine a giant trailer park thousands of miles from any other form of civilization all of a sudden found a geyser of money which never runs out.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

messagemode1 posted:

They sound ridiculous but "to be fair" the same could be said about a lot of different products. Alcohol is the easiest example that's marketed in a similar way. Unhealthy food is another example: providing short term pleasure at the expense of long term negative health effects, and it's hard to imagine a successful political or social movement that would curtail advertising or sales of either in the same way that tobacco is here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ss0jLHvMO20

God do I love this movie.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

comes along bort posted:

Imagine a giant trailer park thousands of miles from any other form of civilization all of a sudden found a geyser of money which never runs out.

What's this geyser of money? The economy of Florida is not particularly strong by any metric.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Pryor on Fire posted:

What's this geyser of money? The economy of Florida is not particularly strong by any metric.

I think Jackshitville is only there because of the military. Maybe he meant that?

spronk
Feb 5, 2011

Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.
John Oliver was on Jimmy Fallon last nite and great as usual. Couldn't tell what his pin was, football team?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYaps7obsAY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUfx6Wgc49Q

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

one sexy loser posted:

Because Florida's sunshine law makes basically all police documents public. The same stuff is going on in every state, it's just that we actually hear about it in Florida.

edit: loving beaten.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Pryor on Fire posted:

Shouldn't Florida have a large amount of out-of-state cash constantly flowing into it's state economy from tourism and northern retirees?

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
And the Oxy drug trade, since Florida is, or at least was, one of the last states to be so loving ignorant and incompetent that they won't track prescription drug purchases.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Paper Kaiju posted:

Shouldn't Florida have a large amount of out-of-state cash constantly flowing into it's state economy from tourism and northern retirees?

That, real estate, drugs for a while though not as much these days, and federal spending.

Also the weather makes it a draw for the homeless and drifters (and sex offender colonies), and that combined with nonexistent social services, plus the sunshine law means every arrest gets in the paper.

Apoplexy posted:

And the Oxy drug trade, since Florida is, or at least was, one of the last states to be so loving ignorant and incompetent that they won't track prescription drug purchases.

The pill mills are mostly over and done with now. Purdue Pharma reformulated oxy so it can't be crushed and snorted as easily, and the DEA had a bunch of raids, then the FL government actually did their own crackdown on clinics.

Which is why heroin is huge in rural communities like it's the early 90s all over again. It's becoming a huge problem- heroin deaths have nearly tripled since 2010 while other opioid ODs (i.e. from prescription pain pills) have stayed flat.

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Feb 19, 2015

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

spronk posted:

John Oliver was on Jimmy Fallon last nite and great as usual. Couldn't tell what his pin was, football team?

It's the 1st Cavalry Division insignia. His wife served in the 1st Cavalry as a combat medic in Iraq.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Paper Kaiju posted:

Tourism, like every other service sector, provides very little in terms of value added. Which means that even if a large amount of money flows into Florida because of tourism, a large amount of that money will also flow out. So, say, Disney World may be raking in a ton of money. But the majority of the employees there make something between 9 and 14 dollars an hour. So a lot of that money is flowing out either in expenses (buses, parts, machinery, etc) or in dividends.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Mexico is another country where cigarette boxes have disgusting poo poo plastered all over them, so I wonder if they're getting sued as well.

No, because Philip Morris is secretly investing with the drug lords, which is much more profitable.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

geeves posted:

No, because Philip Morris is secretly investing with the drug lords, which is much more profitable.

The real revelation would be if the reason the legal grow ops in the states with legalization were unable to use the banking system not just because of the laws prohibiting it, but because it would expose whether or not Big Tobacco is betting long on the day when you'll be able to buy a pack of Marlboro 420s at 7-11.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

spronk posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYaps7obsAY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUfx6Wgc49Q

Youtube took down the falion interview, is there another link out there?

Viginti
Feb 1, 2015
Wow, the first ten minutes of tonight's show was beat for beat identical to The Weekly Wipe that came out a few days ago. I understand that there is always going to be crossover in these things, but boy this surely goes beyond coincidence given how off the beaten track the stories were.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?

Viginti posted:

Wow, the first ten minutes of tonight's show was beat for beat identical to The Weekly Wipe that came out a few days ago. I understand that there is always going to be crossover in these things, but boy this surely goes beyond coincidence given how off the beaten track the stories were.

What's the Weekly Wipe?

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Viginti posted:

Weekly Wipe managed to do a better job with those issues too.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

richardfun posted:

What's the Weekly Wipe?

Now you need to go watch everything Charlie Brooker has ever done.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlie_Brooker%27s_Weekly_Wipe

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Much as I love Charlie Booker, he doesn't have a line in the budget for muppets.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I typically don't follow Greek or European politics, but I was following the recent Greek election sort of just because it was fascinating how it splintered towards the more "extreme" parties partly because of the backlash against austerity. I won't defend the dude's fashion sense, but there was some political theatre with it. The ruling party "Coalition of the Radical Left" won out, and they've been trying to posture themselves as not the typical pro-austerity center-leftists of recent years or the old-timey Cold War-era communists. They've been trying to play up the political angle of the resurgence of the populist left that lines up with the politics of the "young freshmen political science major" douchebags you knew from college. So it's not surprising that many of the government officials are dressing like they're 20 or 30 years younger than their actual age.

Or maybe I'm just bullshitting that explanation because I really don't know anything about Greek politics.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?

thehustler posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlie_Brooker%27s_Weekly_Wipe

I only know Brooker from his columns in The Guardian, so thanks for the tip!

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I can't decide on if the Chad Myers segment was hilarious or deeply depressing. :smith:

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

Zoe Quinn is one of many women targeted by the Gamergate harassment campaign.

Support a feminist today!

Incidentally for those who missed it.

Elected Judges

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poL7l-Uk3I8

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

thehustler posted:

[url][/url]

"Weekly" wipe, airing a total of 18 episodes once this series is done. Goddamn British people how do you deal with that?

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

I thought it was odd how he opened the show by attacking the Greek finance minister on the way he dresses rather than his skills and experience (which I'm sure is what he'd argue was much more important), especially since the guy being an actual economics professor makes him more qualified than the people he was shown meeting (Osborne)

E: Now he's doing a pink bus bit this really is just like weekly wipe.

Focusing on the boardroom line is especially bizarre since there are almost no women in boardrooms (which he knows and believes is a bad thing)

E: judge bit is better, feels like theyve done more research. First bit felt like they'd read some "also in the news" article

Phoon fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Feb 23, 2015

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Cerepol posted:

"Weekly" wipe, airing a total of 18 episodes once this series is done. Goddamn British people how do you deal with that?

Watch Black Mirror and stop asking questions!

e: then dead set.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Total Meatlove posted:

Watch Black Mirror and stop asking questions!

e: then dead set.
And then the entirety of screenwipe. No I don't give a poo poo that half the shows it made fun of are off the air, it's still a great show.

InequalityGodzilla fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Feb 23, 2015

Viginti
Feb 1, 2015

Phoon posted:

I thought it was odd how he opened the show by attacking the Greek finance minister on the way he dresses rather than his skills and experience (which I'm sure is what he'd argue was much more important), especially since the guy being an actual economics professor makes him more qualified than the people he was shown meeting (Osborne)

E: Now he's doing a pink bus bit this really is just like weekly wipe.

Focusing on the boardroom line is especially bizarre since there are almost no women in boardrooms (which he knows and believes is a bad thing)

E: judge bit is better, feels like theyve done more research. First bit felt like they'd read some "also in the news" article

Yeah, this is probably more my problem with that open. It's not that they covered the same topics, it's that in comparison the treatment was so shallow and given that WW moves at a ridiculously rapid pace that's pretty damning.

It's strange that he bought into the hype with the Pink bus bit too, because to me the better joke was how ridiculous it is that people were offended by a colour and how much it distracted from the issue. Saying, 'Choosing pink was silly. Pony! Pony!' is exactly what the conventional media did, minus a pony or two. A jab or two at the guy's attitude is fine, but not backing it up with much real talk is disappointing, unless it was all connected in some sort of mega meta bit about how focused we are on the way women politicians dress and how we should either stop that or throw shade equally. It isn't that though.

This season has really cemented my opinion that LWT isn't funny, most of John's jokes fall as flat as NPH's but the research is great and benefits from having that relaxed tone. I think i'd probably prefer it if they either dropped the 'comedy' tag outright, or dropped the intro and became a one issue half-hour article show. But i'll keep watching either way.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Viginti posted:

It's strange that he bought into the hype with the Pink bus bit too, because to me the better joke was how ridiculous it is that people were offended by a colour and how much it distracted from the issue. Saying, 'Choosing pink was silly. Pony! Pony!' is exactly what the conventional media did, minus a pony or two.

Yeah. Oliver almost always takes the easy stance, even if its not the most well-thought out one. Women like pink. They wear pink. The willingly associate themselves with pink, and pink often operates as a short-hand for "Women Only." Using a pink bus to get women's attention makes sense, and is no more offensive than using pink ribbons to raise breast cancer awareness. Oliver's just flat out wrong on this one.

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

Zythrst posted:

It doesn't compared to any other state, they just have an open records law that let news outlets know about crazy poo poo that happens.

Florida does have a genuinely very high crime rate, they had the 4th highest rate of violent crime per capita according to the census, for example. According to these guys, it's got more cities on the "top 100 most dangerous cities in America" than any other state (11). http://www.neighborhoodscout.com/neighborhoods/crime-rates/top100dangerous/

Periodiko fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Feb 23, 2015

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
So no words on the actual meat of the show this week? As non-US person that scared the everliving poo poo out of me. I understand he was being a bit tongue in cheek when he did the "well i shouldn't have urinated in October during an election year" but the implications of that are frightening.

Maybe I need to go and check out the US Politics series that John and Hank Green's channel is doing at the moment, because it is loving bizarre to me that judges run around running campaigns like that to be "elected".

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

xcore posted:

So no words on the actual meat of the show this week? As non-US person that scared the everliving poo poo out of me. I understand he was being a bit tongue in cheek when he did the "well i shouldn't have urinated in October during an election year" but the implications of that are frightening.
Our country kind of sucks. After a while it just stops phasing you.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
And it's also kind of cool too...to be fair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

xcore posted:

Maybe I need to go and check out the US Politics series that John and Hank Green's channel is doing at the moment, because it is loving bizarre to me that judges run around running campaigns like that to be "elected".

If you ever wanna get freaked out read the US Politics thread in D&D. There's a really good reason half the time it descends into hard liquor-chat.

• Locked thread