Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
What on earth does NO SAFETY EQUIPMENT FOR SMOKERS mean? Do the brakes and seatbelts stop working when you light up or something?

I do like the idea of boycotting entire states though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

fakeaccount posted:

It doesn't always say that. Sometimes it says "I'm too fat to ride a loving motorcycle."

Why the gently caress am I responding...

The Slingshot is a side by side trike with a steering wheel, three pedals, and a stick. It may be classified as a motorcycle, but it isn't one. I really don't see it competing with motorcycles, either. It's as wide as a drat car and drives like a car with lovely traction and wonky balance. The can am, in my opinion, absolutely fits the bill as a motorcycle for fat or old people. I don't understand why you can't get over the silly classification that is purely a way for Polaris to sell a car without making it conform to safety regs. If it had 4 wheels but was otherwise the exact same, it would be a car through and through, not some crazy motorcycle car hybrid thing.

Aside from just plain not being interested in riding a motorcycle, I'd simply rather throw one of my kids in the passenger SEAT of a slingshot than the bitch seat of a crotch rocket. Yes, it's still not exactly safe, but it's certainly easier to live with, and, again, I don't have any desire to own a motorcycle.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

quote:

ASK ME ABOUT COVERING UP MY INSECURITIES WITH A $1200 STROLLER
?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

eyebeem posted:

Why the gently caress am I responding...

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

razorscooter posted:

guy fuckin' loves whatever OBX is, also apparently fond of rear end

Outer Banks of North Carolina. It goes with the theme.

eyebeem posted:

not-a-motorcycle

Someone slap a sidecar hack on a Ducati Monster. I bet that can be done for <$Slingshot

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Safety Dance posted:

Someone slap a sidecar hack on a Ducati Monster. I bet that can be done for <$Slingshot

I realise it's for a wheelchair but I can't get the image out of my mind of a morbidly obese guy riding a mobility scooter up onto the platform, locking in and riding off on the monster.

About 8000 pounds stirling, according to the website.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
Looks like he was trying to make the wheelchaircycle from Silver bullet:

Which imho is wrong thread.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

eyebeem posted:

I don't have any desire to own a motorcycle.

This isn't a very manly thing to say.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

dissss posted:

My flatmate has a mid 90s Mazda Familia which hasn't had any preventative maintenance since 2011 either and that drat thing runs just fine - starts first pop, isn't unduely noisy, gearbox and cluctch are still fine.

We do have six monthly safety inspections so at least the lights/brakes/tyres are okay but its certainly never had any oil, coolant or even a battery in that time.

What are you supposed to do with a car that behind on maintenance anyway? I have a feeling at this point even an oil change would do more harm than good.

How does this make any sense at all whatsoever? Change the loving oil.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

razorscooter posted:

guy fuckin' loves whatever OBX is, also apparently fond of rear end

on the subject of of political cars there's never a bad time for freedom van (this is the second of these vans)

Freedom Van is a Kia Sedona :psyduck: 'Muricah.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

88h88 posted:

This isn't a very manly thing to say.

I was in a bad road bike accident thanks to a driver on a cell phone that somehow left me alive and not paralyzed. It left me somewhat paranoid about 2 wheels.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

PCOS Bill posted:

Ugh just go buy a new car already you disgusting poor what's wrong with your taste?

The original exhaust probably rusted out, and the fartcans are cheaper than OEM replacements. They likely DID service that.

Are you really this stupid? In Colorado, having a car that is billowing out white smoke and stinking up everyone behind them for a mile is kind of against the law seeing as we have emissions testing. But lets blame it on them being poor vs making poor decisions. I've been poor before and my car wasn't a smoke factory.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Lightbulb Out posted:

She makes poverty wages so even with me helping out on rent, she still has to choose between food and bills on occasion. Vehicle maintenance is a luxury.

Land of opportunity. :911:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Great Beer posted:

She makes poverty wages so even with me helping out on rent, she still has to choose between food and bills on occasion. Vehicle maintenance is a luxury.

Also know as "penny wise pound foolish".

"I need a vehicle to make my meager wages and can't afford another one. How about I don't maintain this one so it goes to poo poo and then I'm really screwed?"

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

PCOS Bill posted:

The original exhaust probably rusted out, and the fartcans are cheaper than OEM replacements. They likely DID service that.

I'm having a hard time believing that fartcans are a matter of cost savings.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

eyebeem posted:

I was in a bad road bike accident thanks to a driver on a cell phone that somehow left me alive and not paralyzed. It left me somewhat paranoid about 2 wheels.

That's better. And I can totally understand being paranoid having been knocked off myself. I attended a dude who'd been knocked off his bicycle a week or so ago, nothing too serious but he was banged up pretty bad and it shocked the gently caress out of me for a day or so.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Great Beer posted:

$20 for an oil change.

Skip a bottle of booze or a meal out one week. Problem solved.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

CommieGIR posted:

I'm having a hard time believing that fartcans are a matter of cost savings.

A few cars ago (Maybe 2005ish?) my entire exhaust decided to give in to the Salt Belt all at once from the pipe right behind the exhaust manifold all the way to the muffler, it had rusted out in about six spots, I hit one big bump and it went WHUMPF. The cheapest shop in town wanted, parts only with labor on top, about $700 to replace from just behind the manifold back.

I got a rice as gently caress exhaust that passed inspection/too old of a car for emissions with a huge raspy fartcan for $375 shipped online, header to muffler, and replaced it myself. It sounded like poo poo, it was hilarious looking, but I only kept the car for a few more years before selling it on to someone who also thought it was terrible but my asking price for a running car was what they could afford.

angryhampster posted:

$20 for an oil change.

Skip a bottle of booze or a meal out one week. Problem solved.

That's quite the assumption you've got going there about every impoverished person.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
I have to agree even if not the biggest fan of pcos bill. Someone living like that probably eats out never (it's been years for me), or might not drink at all.
(Yeah I drink because sometimes I don't eat, but that's just my alcoholic arse, it's not what every poor person does)
Also I suppose oil is cheaper there, but $20 doesn't even cover the cost of oil and filter here, more like $60-80. What do you get for $20 there? Recycled oil and no filter change?
e: That being said, car comes before bills if they want to protect their asset that helps them earn money.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Feb 18, 2015

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

PCOS Bill posted:

That's quite the assumption you've got going there about every impoverished person.

My assumption wasn't fair I'll agree. However if the car is the sole means of transportation to continue working, its basic maintenance should be prioritized over drat near everything else.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

angryhampster posted:

My assumption wasn't fair I'll agree. However if the car is the sole means of transportation to continue working, its basic maintenance should be prioritized over drat near everything else.

You should read this http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2013/11/your-brain-on-poverty-why-poor-people-seem-to-make-bad-decisions/281780/

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Motronic posted:

Also know as "penny wise pound foolish".

"I need a vehicle to make my meager wages and can't afford another one. How about I don't maintain this one so it goes to poo poo and then I'm really screwed?"
The Sam Vimes boots principle of socio-economic inequality.

A rich man can buy a really, really good pair of boots that will last for years, can be resoled multiple times, and throughout will keep your feet toasty and warm, and the elements out. $100 a pair.

A poor man only has enough money at any one time to buy cheap, crap boots that fall apart after a year, aren't able to be resoled, and are generally uncomfortable and leak. $20 a pair.

By year 6, the poor man has spent more on boots than the rich man, will continue to spend more forever after, and still has wet feet.

PCOS Bill posted:

I got a rice as gently caress exhaust that passed inspection/too old of a car for emissions with a huge raspy fartcan for $375 shipped online, header to muffler, and replaced it myself. It sounded like poo poo, it was hilarious looking, but I only kept the car for a few more years before selling it on to someone who also thought it was terrible but my asking price for a running car was what they could afford.
What I don't agree with is that the ricey exhaust is the cheapest option. Yes, the parts price at the garage is taking the piss, but that $700 exhaust would probably cost less than the $375 ricey one if you sourced it online (or indeed, just from wherever the garage uses).

I think you're being disingenuous to use a shop-quoted price as comparison for an ebay/online price to say that ricey systems on shitbox cars are there because it's cheaper. A non-ricey budget system is probably even cheaper than that. For instance, if I look on National Tyres website, the first line they have on their "reduced exhausts" is a Mini Cooper backbox down to £300 fitted. On Ebay, I can get a "performance" backbox and centre pipe for about £170, which shows exactly what you're saying... But I can get an aftermarket non-"performance" backbox and centre pipe for about £100.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
It sounds like she may not be able to afford to drive, but there are few other options (before bootstraps gang arrives: I grew up in a place with appalling public transit. I walked everywhere until I got my full license at 16. The bus sometimes is not an alternative, I guess it also taught me the value of a well paying job.). Tough situation really.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
I think the bigger issue I had is that someone would unironically believe that changing the oil would hurt things more than they would help.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

InitialDave posted:

I think you're being disingenuous to use a shop-quoted price as comparison for an ebay/online price to say that ricey systems on shitbox cars are there because it's cheaper. A non-ricey budget system is probably even cheaper than that. For instance, if I look on National Tyres website, the first line they have on their "reduced exhausts" is a Mini Cooper backbox down to £300 fitted. On Ebay, I can get a "performance" backbox and centre pipe for about £170, which shows exactly what you're saying... But I can get an aftermarket non-"performance" backbox and centre pipe for about £100.

This is really going to vary car-to-car. My wife drives a 2003 Mazda 6. The stock exhaust gave up in 2012 and we replaced it with a "budget" catback (aluminized steel pipe and a generic muffler) from a local exhuast shop for $130. That replacement just rusted out again this winter. I could either pay another $130 for another cheap catback from an exhaust shop, or for $250 I can have a stainless catback system delivered to me from an eBay seller. An OE-spec catback for this car is about $700, and anything else from a "reputable" manufacturer is more expensive than that.

Sure, the eBay exhaust probably isn't the best quality but it's far cheaper than a normal replacement and being stainless will last longer than the budget exhaust I had in the salty winter hell that exists four months a year where I am.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Geoj posted:

This is really going to vary car-to-car.
Oh, yeah, but the premise was "people who are hard up enough that they must buy the cheapest option". A ricey system is not necessarily the cheapest option, as you just showed.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Lightbulb Out posted:

I think the bigger issue I had is that someone would unironically believe that changing the oil would hurt things more than they would help.

Everyone knows when you start putting new parts on an old car, other old parts start breaking. This applies to oil too!

A Toyota dealer even had me sign a waiver about it when I asked them to do work on a 100k+ mile car.

edit - for parts, not for oil.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Lightbulb Out posted:

Wouldn't that run the risk of dislodging all the gunk that is keeping what oil is in there in?

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

wow look at all those words nobody should post

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

maybe it was just driving home after 5 night shifts (and salt spray going up the sides to make ears), but...

(really hard to find an angle on GIS that matched)

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Stud broke off in a helicoil?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Sudo Echo posted:

wow look at all those words nobody should post

Pictured: someone who should have realized they were in over their head and knocked it the gently caress off before they got that screwed. That's off by a full bolt radius and I bet it's not perpendicular to the surface, which is why it snapped when torqued...

kastein fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Feb 18, 2015

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.
I saw this today, is/was this some sort of test car or camera car? It has manufacturer plates so I figured from a distance it was just some new model camo painted since those are pretty common around Detroit but then I got up close and saw the bumper plate and roof mounts and noticed it was a tired looking Edge. There were two posts coming out of the front bumper that looked like they probably had something mounted on the front too at some point.

Fake edit: also only just now noticed some sort of cable taped up the front fender to the roof.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I'd imagine it has something to do with preventing damage in slow speed impacts during snow/ice testing?

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

revmoo posted:

Stud broke off in a helicoil?

Stud, off center helicoil, and another stud.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Slavvy posted:

How is having three random number plates dangling off the back of your car while the real one is completely obscured not illegal?

The one visible in the middle is the "real" plate. The one under the bumper is probably the original plate from '77 and the two others are members plates for a group dedicated to beach driving.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

BlackMK4 posted:

I'd imagine it has something to do with preventing damage in slow speed impacts during snow/ice testing?

I'd guess it's so it can be pushed back to the garage when it breaks down.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Lightbulb Out posted:

I'd guess it's so it can be pushed back to the garage when it breaks down.

That sounds more accurate. :v:

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Fo3 posted:

Also I suppose oil is cheaper there, but $20 doesn't even cover the cost of oil and filter here, more like $60-80. What do you get for $20 there? Recycled oil and no filter change?
e: That being said, car comes before bills if they want to protect their asset that helps them earn money.

$60-$80 for an oil change? Good God, what kind of oil are you using? :psyduck:

I don't think I've ever paid more than $35 total of a change, using new oil and a filter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
An oil change on my E36 is around that much, 8 quarts of oil at 8 bucks a pop, plus five bucks for a filter == 71 bucks.