Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Quest For Glory II posted:

I tried getting into Tales of Symphonia and quickly got bored of the hit-hit-hit-delay-hit-hit-hit-delay combat (I really can't stand 3 hit max combos in games after playing Arkham/Ys). Does Xillia improve on this or will I just be sour on it for the same reasons?
Xillia improves on it a lot. It's a lot faster, and you can get a lot more than 3 hits in.

Well, at the very start you're a little bit limited, but the game quickly ramps up. Look at this poo poo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JS11l8OEeeI

You have to keep in mind that Symphonia was made in like 2003, and was their first attempt at a 3d combat system. It's natural that things are gonna be a little bit janky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Having been inspired by this thread, I tried out the fan translation of Front Mission 5, and I guess I learned why Square decided not to translate it. It is a bad game.

I think the source of most of its problems is its plot. Which... doesn't really exist most of the time. It basically follows the career of this one soldier who isn't particularly compelling and his quest to maybe kind of get revenge on this guy, if he ever happens to coincidentally cross paths with him again within the next couple of decades. There are constant time jumps of several years at a time, and he keeps changing squads which apparently requires an entire pointless mission chain devoted to showing you how they do things (spoiler: it's usually exactly the same as every other mission chain in the entire game because the game rarely gives you interesting maps). These time jumps might have been interesting if he aged at all or anything interesting happened in the meantime, but no, it's pretty much "and then he did that same mission chain over and over again for 10 years, but that's not important so we'll skip it". Accompanying these transitions are all the important characters kind of going away so your essentially have no party at all other than Mr. Soldier Guy and interchangeable generics with no speaking lines in combat. In fact, you're encouraged to switch them out because unless you're grinding way more than is healthy in this relatively easy game, they're always going to be a bit lower level than the next set of recruitable generics. So you don't even have the fun of building up your team: just assemble a brand new one from Alice, Bob, and Carl every time you go back to base.

Basically, every single plot and gameplay feature seems entirely designed to make absolutely sure the player has no investment whatsoever in what's going on, and the battle system is so repetitive after they (slowly) introduce all the mechanics that there's no incentive to do the next mission. This game sucks.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Maybe you just dont like front mission or dont talk to anyone at the base. Its a pretty light hearted comedy most of ths times.

Judging by your opinion of 3, 4

Tae fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Feb 18, 2015

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I didn't want to comment on the plot until I actually finished FM5, but based on my experiences with FM1/3/4 I'd easily say that 5 has the worst thus far. But it's not bad in that it's dumb like your run of the mill JPRG, it's just very nondescript and low-effort. The dialogue from talking to people at the base is sometimes amusing but they are not actual characters and besides maybe the tutorial guy (Sato?) I don't think any of them are reocurring, or at least if they are I don't remember them which is effectively the same thing.

The gameplay is fine I suppose though I maintain that the missions drag on for far too long. Number...17?...the flooded city or whatever with about 20 enemies took me about 3 days to get through because I kept losing interest after about an hour or so.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Tae posted:

Maybe you just dont like front mission or dont talk to anyone at the base. Its a pretty light hearted comedy most of ths times.

Judging by your opinion of 3, 4

The people in the base do have some weird comedy skits sometimes (when they're not talking about politics) but I wouldn't consider that enough to save the game. Unless you're saying that their generic commentary on what's going on makes you invested in a character you're going to throw away next mission for not leveling up their Jamming enough? Although arguably the fan translation was just really bad for those sequences (and I can tell it's bad in other places, so that's fairly reasonable).

I liked both 3 and 4 because they had plots and characters, which gave you an incentive to blow up more robots. Unfortunately 5 has neither. This is what I'd consider the RPG ideal: a battle system interesting enough to keep you engaged while seeking the next plot point. Neither have to be great, but just enough to keep you going. The plot in FM 5 fails so hard that it drags the okay battle system down with it. I simply don't care about anything that's happening.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Theyre recurring, you even get back to the initial base after being a seal and tell the new base commander to gently caress himsrlf because hes a green poo poo.

Like, you just seem to like the story of previous games and never liked fhe core gameplay, that doesnt make it a bad game. It means fm as a franchise isnt your thing.

Also, they translated that awful armor core ripoff instead of 5.

Tae fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Feb 18, 2015

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Tae posted:

Theyre recurring, you even get back to the initial base after being a seal and tell the new base commander to gently caress himsrlf because hes a green poo poo.

You're also like 10 years older by that point, look exactly the same, and have the exact same relationship with everyone you know. Nothing ever happens.

Tae posted:

Like, you just seem to like the story of previous games and never liked fhe core gameplay, that doesnt make it a bad game. It means fm as a franchise isnt your thing.

I like blowing up robots, I just don't like blowing up the same robots in the same way for 30 hours. Gameplay in this one boils down to "surround and link, repeat" and not even bosses provide the slightest amount of challenge because you can heal infinitely with no cost. I'll admit that it's not too different from the previous games, but the previous games supplemented it with other things I cared about, like character progression. As I mentioned, there are no characters in FM5. You don't even get the joy of leveling up a generic like in FFT or Disgaea, since all members of the same class are exactly the same, and fresh recruits are always better than the ones you raised. Which is possibly the silliest design decision ever.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Feb 18, 2015

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Clarste posted:

You're also like 10 years older by that point, look exactly the same, and have the exact same relationship with everyone you know. Nothing ever happens.

Its not really the same outside of the age thing, but i pick out the details more i guess because ive been in the military. Its close to how people react to a scrub promoted when theyre not doing comedy.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Tae posted:

Its not really the same outside of the age thing, but i pick out the details more i guess because ive been in the military. Its close to how people react to a scrub promoted when theyre not doing comedy.

So you're saying it's a good "being promoted in the military" simulator. That's possible, but that still doesn't mean it has a plot or character development. The generics now salute you sometimes or freak out that you've been promoted above them, yay?

...to be honest I hadn't thought of it as a Persona style life sim, but that perspective actually makes more sense I guess. Follow the trials and tribulations of "officer trying to talk to his long distance girlfriend" in between doing boring generic missions that serve no purpose.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Feb 18, 2015

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.

Rascyc posted:

Not that I can tell, I've been on the lookout too because I really loved DS2.

Yeah; according to the japanese official site, the remake has a continuation of the story (supposedly as long as the original) packed in with the original, a new character (Yamato's sister), full voice acting (eh, do people really want this so much? I guess I'm old but back in the day we played our JRPG with no voice acting and we liked it), quality-of-life improvements to the gameplay, and a difficulty select option. It's definitely looking like a worthwhile buy.

Wouldn't it be nice if Atlus actually marketed it? I had no idea this was even a thing until I stumbled on it while doing a GameFAQs search for DS1 Overclocked.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
FM5 is actually stitching together all the plots of the various other Front Mission games together and filling in plot holes and stuff. It is a very hard plot to follow and gets mistaken as the generic plot about a guy getting revenge and loving a girl a lot (which is there for everyone else to at least have something if they don't understand what's going on). A lot of the military personnel actually talk about various events going on in other parts of the world that directly reference other Front Mission games, the rest just spout random jokes and military talk.

There's a reason the game didn't come west, yes. If Front Mission 2 had ever released in the west, then maybe 5 would have stood a shot but even then I am skeptical. A lot of the tie-ins are to 1 and 2, with a couple nods to 3 and 4.

It's not really a bad game at all, but it is unique and definitely a fan love letter. IDK I feel like if you liked front mission, FM5 should be fun because it is the pinnacle of the combat system. If you never liked a Front Mission game very much, never play 5! It's pretty easy.

Nate RFB posted:

The gameplay is fine I suppose though I maintain that the missions drag on for far too long. Number...17?...the flooded city or whatever with about 20 enemies took me about 3 days to get through because I kept losing interest after about an hour or so.
Yeah this stage and the stage where you split up and deploy in two separate locations in a city are my two most hated stages. The rest I like. The oil platform stage is probably my favorite but even that one drags out because it's going through 3-sides worth of combat. I always turn off everyone's animations but my own to speed it up.

FWIW the hard mode difficulty will keep you on your toes but isn't the greatest difficulty in the world, I think it improves the game a bit but it makes it even slower, hah.

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Feb 18, 2015

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
FM5 is a game for hardcore fans of the series, it doesn't stand on its own very well so I can understand why they didn't bring it over. 3 and 4 are standalone, and 1 as well, so those were better picks. If you don't like it that's fine, but I'm glad I finally got to play it so the characters I liked got some closure and so on.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Heavy neutrino posted:

Yeah; according to the japanese official site, the remake has a continuation of the story (supposedly as long as the original) packed in with the original, a new character (Yamato's sister), full voice acting (eh, do people really want this so much? I guess I'm old but back in the day we played our JRPG with no voice acting and we liked it), quality-of-life improvements to the gameplay, and a difficulty select option. It's definitely looking like a worthwhile buy.

Wouldn't it be nice if Atlus actually marketed it? I had no idea this was even a thing until I stumbled on it while doing a GameFAQs search for DS1 Overclocked.

You would have to sign up for their email list if you want to hear anything directly, but there's a release date out for May 5.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Heavy neutrino posted:

Speak of the devil

http://www.siliconera.com/2015/02/18/devil-survivor-2-record-breaker-invades-north-america-may-5th/

Was DS1 Overclocked any good? I skipped that one. The only VA I'd really care about is Japanese VA.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

DS1 overclocked wasn't all that special -- it was DS1 with DS2's gameplay improvements (compendium, extra skills and such) and a kinda short 8th day at the end.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Tae posted:

Also, they translated that awful armor core ripoff instead of 5.

Well it was made in the west, so the translation was to Japanese :v:

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Speaking of Tales of Xilia, it's 40% on PSN or 50% with PS+.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

Apparently Tales of Zestiria showed up in the Steam database today, though the entry has since been renamed to just TOZ. Really hoping we keep seeing JRPGs expanding to Steam, if only for convenience.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Rascyc posted:

FM5 is actually stitching together all the plots of the various other Front Mission games together and filling in plot holes and stuff. It is a very hard plot to follow and gets mistaken as the generic plot about a guy getting revenge and loving a girl a lot (which is there for everyone else to at least have something if they don't understand what's going on). A lot of the military personnel actually talk about various events going on in other parts of the world that directly reference other Front Mission games, the rest just spout random jokes and military talk.

I definitely got the impression something like that was going on, but frankly even if I knew the backstory in more detail, the tone of it feels more like fanfiction than a good plot. "Hey, remember this thing from that other game? I do too! Aren't we both cool for remembering that?" None of it was actually, you know, relevant. You're just hopping around between different cameos.

I assume that's also why it jumps forward in time so much: to keep sync with the other stuff it's referencing.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Feb 19, 2015

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

For intents and purposes, 5 is the pre sequel of 2 to the point that the main villain is the same. That 10 year gap is fm2, but since 2 never made it to us I think, most fans who only played 3+ wouldn't get why the story is segmented and focused so much on Bergman. The other problem is that they literally had only one guy listed as the timeline guy, which is why the dates get more and more hosed as the game continues. Dragon age 2 time syndrome.

evilskillit
Jan 7, 2014

METAL TOADS

Erebus posted:

Apparently Tales of Zestiria showed up in the Steam database today, though the entry has since been renamed to just TOZ. Really hoping we keep seeing JRPGs expanding to Steam, if only for convenience.

Bad rear end. It looks like the Dark Souls PC port petition is spilling over into other Bamco properties. It'll be great if we get a bunch of Tales releases as I have some sort of odd case of console-aversion-itus, I might actually get through a bunch of the Tales games I've wanted to play.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The only references I've caught is when the male MC of FM4 showed up and mentions of the Canyon Crows and Hell's Wall at the very beginning. I definitely don't remember the timeline well enough to place the other games during 5's narrative.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Nate RFB posted:

The only references I've caught is when the male MC of FM4 showed up and mentions of the Canyon Crows and Hell's Wall at the very beginning. I definitely don't remember the timeline well enough to place the other games during 5's narrative.

You literally meet emir of fm3 and hit on her. She's a bit of a retcon in personality though.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
I think I finally "get" Xenoblade's boss battles. The meat of the boss battles isn't fighting the bosses but preparing for them. For example, I just got done defeating the final(?) fight with Mumkar in Sword Valley, you know the one where he is crushed by a giant sword). Anyway I went to fight the boss multiple times and kept getting killed. I often struggled to just kill one of the Mechon. But I decided to rebuild my characters if you will, by creating new gems and reconfiguring their builds and skills to be specific with the boss battle. After doing these things I managed to beat the boss battle after two tries. It was pretty close, but I still managed to do it. I was worried that I would have to grind my level 50 characters to 51 or even 52.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

It's really kind of amazing how jarring this art is. Also: why the gently caress can I not save on the world map, game?

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."
Agarest 2 gets released tomorrow on Steam. Is it any better than the first two games?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

RadicalR posted:

Agarest 2 gets released tomorrow on Steam. Is it any better than the first two games?

haha no

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Apathetic Artist
Dec 23, 2010

al-azad posted:

Speaking of Tales of Xilia, it's 40% on PSN or 50% with PS+.

I've always been curious about the Tales series, but have never gotten around to picking one up. Would Tales of Xilia be a good place to start for somebody new to the franchise? Will I be confused by the plot without any knowledge of the previous installements or is each one a self-contained story?

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Each one is self-contained unless they're actual numbered sequel (ie, there's a Tales of Xillia 2), Xillia works just fine as a starting point, go for it. Just be aware that the games generally get more refined and faster the later they were made, so it might be harder to go back to older ones if you decide on doing that later.

Codiekitty
Nov 7, 2014

DARKSEID DICK PICS posted:

It's really kind of amazing how jarring this art is. Also: why the gently caress can I not save on the world map, game?

I don't know if you're being sarcastic, but either the elf girl is wearing a pair of cereal bowls for a bra or the closest thing to a woman the artist has ever seen is the Profound Darkness.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Codiekitty posted:

I don't know if you're being sarcastic, but either the elf girl is wearing a pair of cereal bowls for a bra or the closest thing to a woman the artist has ever seen is the Profound Darkness.

Jarring isn't generally a positive way to describe something.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

Was Tales of Zestiria any good? It apparently sold fairly well in Japan -- at least I think ~400k is a good run.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Heavy neutrino posted:

Was Tales of Zestiria any good? It apparently sold fairly well in Japan -- at least I think ~400k is a good run.

You'll get really divided opinions on that.
I think it's merely mediocre. The battle camera is too close to the point you can't see anything, the characters and setting are rather bland and the overworld you'll be running through has very little in the way of landmarks or interesting scenery. The game dips to low frames per second too because of the aging hardware.

Then you've got stuff like a character being marketed as the main heroine but she's actually a temporary character and you need to buy DLC to use her and other things. It's not a bad game, but it's a very flawed game. How flawed depends on how you feel about the above.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

tales games generally sell well

there's a lot of controversy surrounding some weird story stuff, but mechanically it seems pretty good, although the camera is bad and there's some weird decisions

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

Tales games always have mind-numbing writing, so I'm not terribly surprised there. Maybe the rumored PC release can fix the camera and FPS issues (which I'm guessing are tied together).

...By which I mean it will be a crappy port and some random guy will fix it in a couple hours' work.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

it seems likely that the pc version will be a port of a future ps4 remaster so it's more likely than you might think

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Heavy neutrino posted:

Tales games always have mind-numbing writing, so I'm not terribly surprised there. Maybe the rumored PC release can fix the camera and FPS issues (which I'm guessing are tied together).

...By which I mean it will be a crappy port and some random guy will fix it in a couple hours' work.

Not quite. Zestiria doesn't have a battle screen like the other Tales games, you seamlessly go from the field into battle. But this also means the camera for the battles can't be flexible, so it goes right up your main characters rear end. Which is no good if enemies are behind your character, or if there is a wall in the way.

The framerate being low is just because it's on PS3 and it's an old console, though the game is capped at 30 fps because of the seamless nature of battles instead of 60 which most other Tales games are.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Mr. Fortitude posted:

The framerate being low is just because it's on PS3 and it's an old console, though the game is capped at 30 fps because of the seamless nature of battles instead of 60 which most other Tales games are.

Wait what? I hadn't heard of battles being capped to 30. That sucks, battles in Tales games have always run at 60 (or at least tried to) until now!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Then you've got stuff like a character being marketed as the main heroine but she's actually a temporary character and you need to buy DLC to use her and other things. It's not a bad game, but it's a very flawed game. How flawed depends on how you feel about the above.
This is really the worst of it. It is mind boggling.

Everything else is typical Tales.