Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

bringmyfishback posted:

Instructions For a Makeup

You propose that? Not a good idea!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

You propose that? Not a good idea!

ring a bell

a red worm will come

(That was my favorite frontpage anything ever)

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

Legend of Korra isn't anime you weeb.

Anger easily-offended nerds by calling their children's cartoons different children's cartoon terms.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

bringmyfishback posted:

(That was my favorite frontpage anything ever)

If you haven't already, pick up Parsons's novel, Liminal States. The guy's an amazingly talented writer.

Dareon posted:

Anger easily-offended nerds by calling their children's cartoons different children's cartoon terms.

IT'S NOT A CARTOON IT'S AN ANIMATED SERIES

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

If you haven't already, pick up Parsons's novel, Liminal States. The guy's an amazingly talented writer.

I bought Liminal States but haven't been able to get into it. When's it pick up?

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Len posted:

I bought Liminal States but haven't been able to get into it. When's it pick up?

I think it's great from start to finish, but if you're able to put it down when you get to Chapter 12, where Groves is relentlessly hunting Gideon down and killing him over and over, it may not be for you. That said, I'd suggest going ahead anyway, because the style changes abruptly in the next chapter, and it may be more to your liking.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Len posted:

I didn't much care for that one, but I really like Your Next-Door Neighbor Is a Dragon. Don't believe its blurb though, it's described as a sort of humorous reference book, but it's a fictional narrative.

I really liked the premise of Liminal States and I liked the start of the book a lot, but it lost me as it went on. The last section in particular was just a really unsatisfying conclusion for me; I felt that it jumped ahead a bit too far and too fast and left behind the most interesting part of the story.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Those Oreo and M&M cosmetics lifehacks make me sad, because they remind me of when I was in jail, and fellow inmates would use Jolly Ranchers and Skittles to make makeup so they'd look good for their boyfriends on visiting days.

Lifehack: spend time in jail, learn LOTS of lifehacks

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Naw, it's just poo poo :(

soggywaffles
Mar 18, 2009

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Lifehack: spend time in jail, learn LOTS of lifehacks

Amen. I call it "jailcraft" or "prisoncraft". Wedging shampoo bottles between bars to hold up a cover for privacy when making GBS threads, tearing threads out of mats, using broken comb teeth as needles to sew socks (not allowed socks in my county jail), making spoons out of broken deodorant containers (not allowed food or utensils outside of meals either), jamming pencils into cracks to make clotheslines, washing clothes in the toilet, toasting food by heating your metal bunk or shelf, rolling papers to make sleeves to lengthen those stubby crappy pencils, boxes out of folded cards, all sorts of crap. poo poo's austere, people get creative. And yeah, it's depressing as hell.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Either my reading comprehension is slipping or like half of that post doesn't make any sense.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Ignite Memories posted:

Either my reading comprehension is slipping or like half of that post doesn't make any sense.

Those are lifehacks you can do in prison..

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

I meant the part where you're not allowed to have food but you're still cooking and eating food. Also, how the hell are you heating your bed enough to toast food?

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
I love reading about jailhacks!

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Ignite Memories posted:

I meant the part where you're not allowed to have food but you're still cooking and eating food. Also, how the hell are you heating your bed enough to toast food?

Dude if you don't understand how much a hot snack on your own terms can matter to a person held in a concrete box for year on end, you might need to reexamine your life.

Some of the Sheep
May 25, 2005
POSSIBLY IT WOULD BE SIMPLER IF I ASKED FOR A LIST OF THE HARMLESS CREATURES OF THE AFORESAID CONTINENT?

Chard posted:

Dude if you don't understand how much a hot snack on your own terms can matter to a person held in a concrete box for year on end, you might need to reexamine your life.

I would argue that the exact opposite is true.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Ignite Memories posted:

I meant the part where you're not allowed to have food but you're still cooking and eating food.

Some people have discovered secret life hacks where they don't obey the rules. The government hates this one weird tip, so sometimes the non-rule followers get sent to jail.

PubicMice
Feb 14, 2012

looking for information on posts
Lifehack I do in real life: Too cheap to get a waterproof case? Just use a ziplock bag!

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Apparently jailers do not have their poo poo together nearly as much as I thought, if prisoners are equipped to heat their beds to food-cooking temperatures

SavTargaryen
Sep 11, 2011

Ignite Memories posted:

Apparently jailers do not have their poo poo together nearly as much as I thought, if prisoners are equipped to heat their beds to food-cooking temperatures

Have you SEEN the kludged-together poo poo prisoners have made? It can get pretty goddamn nuts. Lock a person in a box with some supplies for a while and they'll eventually build a computer. Or, well, maybe a fancy shank.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Post more prison hacks, those are fascinating :stare:

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

SavTargaryen posted:

Have you SEEN the kludged-together poo poo prisoners have made? It can get pretty goddamn nuts. Lock a person in a box with some supplies for a while and they'll eventually build a computer. Or, well, maybe a fancy shank.

I think we all know that people will disobey rules, and come up with poo poo like jail moonshine and shanks but, seriously, heating a bed for food?
I'm not even saying it's not true (it'd be a weird thing to make up) I'm just wondering if he just explained it badly because I can't understand what possible source of heat he could use to heat up a metal bedframe enough to cook food in it.

soggywaffles
Mar 18, 2009

Ignite Memories posted:

Yeah sorry that was pretty poorly written. Anyway, the jail in my county is kind of a special case. In *most* jails, as I understand, you can order food through commissary and eat it at your leisure, though utensils are still a no-no. Here they banned food outside of mealtimes and nixed it from the commissary menu (there are various legends explaining the origins of the ban). You could however buy certain toiletries, and some of it would come in what passes for reusable containers in those conditions. People would save and trade food in them (usually empty "hair-food" jars), and utensils improvised from shards of broken containers (deodorant was popular choice due to the scoop-like curvature). Otherwise you get a honey-bun and milk box for breakfast, hot lunch in a tray with a plastic spoon (collected and counted half an hour later), and dinner - at 4:30 - is a single slice of cold cut on white bread with stale chips and cookies in a styrofoam tray (cookies for prisoners?!? with MY tax dollars?!?). You tend to get hungry between 4:30 PM and breakfast at 7:30 AM the next day, so stashing food was a big thing. Normal blocks were 8 cells each maybe 4'x12', two metal bunks (top & bottom), each with a mat comparable to laying on a newspaper and a wool cover, two small metal shelves and an efficiency toilet/sink. Everything is all smooth and abuse/tamper proof, it's impressive the things people come up with in spite of such considerations. Toasting was done heating the beds/shelves by literally lighting a small fire beneath the thin metal shelf/bunk. There was one camera pointed at the wall, as if it was even on or monitored, it wouldn't have seen into the cells anyway. You had at least half an hour between walk-throughs. Necessary contraband (e.g. lighters) gets smuggled in. Dreadlocks, prosthetic limbs (dude had a crack pipe in his leg...htf they missed that idk), and of course you-know-where combined with a lazy jailer and it happens regularly. It tends to get crazier and crazier until someone pisses off a guard and they do a shakedown. They throw everything out and you get a day or two on "lockdown" where you're confined to your cell, a literal bathroom (don't like sleeping with your head 6 feet away from a toilet and making GBS threads the same distance from your celly? too bad). As if the tiny hallway and day room about half the size it ought to be were much nicer.

Also jail and prison are very different. In prison you have a lot more options, sometimes things like electric water boilers are OK. Electrical sockets are rare in jail. Though one dude cracked my poo poo up trying to light a cigarette by jamming a something in a socket in the middle of the night in a dorm block. Big ol' flash/pop.

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

Truest Detective - Work Crew Division.
:dong::yayclod:
Modern jail moonshine is a feat because they don't have access to much raw fruit and the foods and drinks that are starchy or sugary are chock full of preservatives which greatly hinder yeast growth. Look on ingredients lists for benzoate, sorbate, or sulfate. Prisoners can overcome this problem by first making a yeast starter with the little bit of preservative-free sugary liquid they do have, and then adding it. The yeast will ferment, but not reproduce as quickly. Preferably, they'll use yeast from another active ferment to inoculate.

What happens is that, by transferring yeast from another successful ferment and doing this for years, they've selectively bred a yeast strain that is highly resistant to common food preservatives. And probably done this inadvertently. Even if you were to remove all the yeast mothers and active ferments from the prison, and prisoners had to start over by capturing wild yeast, there's a good chance that they'll recapture their hearty strain from the environment. After one ferment, that yeast strain will be the most prevalent one.

Then cider homebrewers hear stories about prisoners making booze from loving cans of soda and think they're full of poo poo.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
And if you find that kind of stuff interesting, read the best thread on the forums: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3676982

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

Ignite Memories posted:

Also, how the hell are you heating your bed enough to toast food?

And how do they dance, while our Earth is turning?

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Bhodi posted:

And if you find that kind of stuff interesting, read the best thread on the forums: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3676982

This is super interesting. Thanks for the link.

I wonder how many crudely-drawn dicks Brian has received so far.

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

spincube posted:

And how do they dance, while our Earth is turning?

The time has come to say fair's fair. :colbert:

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

PubicMice posted:

Lifehack I do in real life: Too cheap to get a waterproof case? Just use a ziplock bag!

Alternatively, detach yourself from your phone for twenty minutes.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Danger Mahoney posted:

Alternatively, detach yourself from your phone for twenty minutes.

Depending on where you are this could be a recipe to get your phone stolen.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
woop wrong quote

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Confirming this one, poor-mans poor-mans LSD

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Sure it's not just remembering your regular dreams after you wake up in the middle of them because you have to take a colossal piss?

My Lovely Horse has a new favorite as of 10:20 on Feb 20, 2015

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

why specifically apple juice, why can't i just eat 10 apples right before sleeping to get the same effect?

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale

pandaK posted:

why specifically apple juice, why can't i just eat 10 apples right before sleeping to get the same effect?

Sure, if you want terrifying nightmares instead.

OutsideAngel
May 4, 2008

pandaK posted:

Dude, the skins of those things are riddled with toxins!

Who even knows how many cigarettes you'd have to smoke afterwards, just to be safe

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

My Lovely Horse posted:

Sure it's not just remembering your regular dreams after you wake up in the middle of them because you have to take a colossal piss?

Apple in large quantities is also a pretty good laxative. So your "vivid dream" may just be you making GBS threads the bed.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Vivid diarrhea.

Also, what the gently caress is that chicken thing? The metal of the pans "absorbs all the coldness"? :pseudo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Metal is a better heat conductor than air.