Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

And the beast shall be made legion. Its numbers shall be increased a thousand thousand fold. The din of a million keyboards like unto a great storm shall cover the earth, and the followers of Mammon shall tremble.

from The Book of Mozilla, 3:31

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

that was a pretty controversial piece of text with some of our community, but of course jwz gave no fucks

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Subjunctive posted:

that was a pretty controversial piece of text with some of our community, but of course jwz gave no fucks

a. were people actually bothered by it?

b. that was jwz? he's cool :allears:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

yeah, people thought we were mocking the bible and so forth. jwz is a pretty fun guy; I don't recommend drinking with him unless you have a spotter.

actually, that content might have been terry, now that I think about it

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-current/2015-February/054580.html

Good heavens! What a most unfortunate slip-up, heehee :nsa:

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

it came up in the security thread yesterday - it's only if you're tracking -current, which means you're deliberately mucking around with a testing version. No one runs -current in production.

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Broken Machine posted:

it came up in the security thread yesterday - it's only if you're tracking -current, which means you're deliberately mucking around with a testing version. No one runs -current in production.

More like no one runs FreeBSD in production lol

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

pram posted:

More like no one runs FreeBSD in production lol

right; just netflix, dyndns, people with taste

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Broken Machine posted:

curses! foiled again! :nsamad:

(I wonder if somebody has ever been the target of a witch hunt for introducing a bug with major security implications like that)

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
also yeah networking is the one thing BSD does well, apparently the FreeBSD network stack kicks the poo poo out of the Linux one performance-wise, to the point where Facebook recently posted a job ad saying "yo we'll pay you beaucoup money if you can make this suck a lil less". Linus (or some core networking maintaner) has an ideological stance against TCP Offload Engines, so maybe that has something to do with it.

Then again, apparently TCP/IP via 127.0.0.1 is faster than UNIX domain sockets on Linux.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
How would that last thing even be possible

pram
Jun 10, 2001
Why would you send tcp over a socket

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Broken Machine posted:

right; just netflix, dyndns, people with taste

Sorry , netcraft backs me up here dude

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Mr Dog posted:

also yeah networking is the one thing BSD does well, apparently the FreeBSD network stack kicks the poo poo out of the Linux one performance-wise, to the point where Facebook recently posted a job ad saying "yo we'll pay you beaucoup money if you can make this suck a lil less". Linus (or some core networking maintaner) has an ideological stance against TCP Offload Engines, so maybe that has something to do with it.

Then again, apparently TCP/IP via 127.0.0.1 is faster than UNIX domain sockets on Linux.

Neither of these is really true, BSD's better performance comes from monolithic mbufs where Linux split into separate headers and data buffers so that sendfile, splice, etc calls become scalable. All the super computer people use Linux and not BSD and constantly push driver tweaks.

Use a Solarflare card then it doesn't matter at all, completely skip the kernel for all TCP/IP.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Mr Dog posted:

At what data size? I can imagine the buffering over lo being faster than datagrams for 1k of data, but nothing above.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

MrMoo posted:

Neither of these is really true, BSD's better performance comes from monolithic mbufs where Linux split into separate headers and data buffers so that sendfile, splice, etc calls become scalable. All the super computer people use Linux and not BSD and constantly push driver tweaks.

Use a Solarflare card then it doesn't matter at all, completely skip the kernel for all TCP/IP.

I've looked at splice+vmsplice for a while and I'm really having trouble figuring out what it's good for. It seems like a really tortured way of turning an arbitrary run of userland-allocated pages into a kernel IO bufer (vmsplice) and then shunting that IO buffer someplace like a socket (splice). Except that the footnotes say "lol nm this will literally never work in a zero-copy way" so why even bother. I mean, I guess it might work if you literally assembled everything including an Ethernet frame in userspace and somehow got exclusive access to a NIC and turned it into a raw Ethernet socket that you could poo poo packets out of but I don't think anybody has implemented that

I guess modern NICs have scatter/gather DMA so that headers and payload can be assembled separately without compromising zero-copy but I'm not aware of any shipping code successfully making use of this.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

do TOEs actually help real world loads? I'd understood that they didn't. (they didn't for my application load a decade ago, but :corsair:)

can you not use splice stuff with remote DMA fabric like quadrics (and infiniband?)?

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Mr Dog posted:

I guess modern NICs have scatter/gather DMA so that headers and payload can be assembled separately without compromising zero-copy but I'm not aware of any shipping code successfully making use of this.

Majority of web servers do, the caveat is that each scatter buffer needs to be of a minimum size for actual gains. I cannot recall if it is 9 or 128KB, I know at least one of the server implementations (I think Cherokee) completely fucks this up.

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
just kidding guys!! of course i play video games at work. xfce has vsync of course its fuckign 2015

pram
Jun 10, 2001
BSD on the desktop

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

2015 year of BSD on the game console

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
well that actually already happens as the ps4 is BSD

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Celexi posted:

well that actually already happens as the ps4 is BSD

:thejoke:

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

--

OldAlias fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Feb 20, 2015

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
1995 year of BSOD on the desktop

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Soricidus posted:

1995 year of BSOD on the desktop

ruby idiot railed posted:

one thing i noticed is that linux on the desktop users tend to pretend the rest of the computing world is still in 1995 just so they can feel better about their bad choices

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
it's so true

but 1995 was such a good year ...

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

Welp, I've decided that linux on the desktop isn't SO bad, so long as you install chrome and spotify and don't have to actually do anything other than watching netflix and writting python scripts in gvim.

Installed steam, then installed Rogue Legacy and then try to launch and and el oh el is crashed the whole machine.

but still with the right themes and some linux CJ is about 80% of a my mac with chrome

that and Office 365 makes linux tolerable

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

you can rename yourself in chrome so you dont have to censor screenshots

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

kalstrams posted:

you can rename yourself in chrome so you dont have to censor screenshots

meh, it was easier to delete a little square for a poo poo screenshot than to go through that hassle.

du -hast
Mar 12, 2003

BEHEAD THOSE WHO INSULT GENTOO

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

Welp, I've decided that linux on the desktop isn't SO bad, so long as you install chrome and spotify and don't have to actually do anything other than watching netflix and writting python scripts in gvim.

Installed steam, then installed Rogue Legacy and then try to launch and and el oh el is crashed the whole machine.

but still with the right themes and some linux CJ is about 80% of a my mac with chrome

im the && scrote

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
gvim, lol

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

:barf:

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
I think you will find that numix is the least offensive thing about Linux.

pissssssssssssssssssssss

There Will Be Penalty
May 18, 2002

Makes a great pet!

ZShakespeare posted:

I think you will find that numix is the least offensive thing about Linux.

except it's a theme for gnome3, a thing for babbies that don't know how to use a real window manager.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

There Will Be Penalty posted:

except it's a theme for gnome3, a thing for babbies that don't know how to use a real window manager.

if you're going to subject yourself to X-Windows, tvtwm is the one true window manager

There Will Be Penalty
May 18, 2002

Makes a great pet!

eschaton posted:

if you're going to subject yourself to X-Windows, tvtwm is the one true window manager

what's the diff between tvtwm and vtwm?

i used vtwm for a while, i even contributed a small chunk of code to it back in the mid-1990s, that's probably still there to this day. :coal:

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!

look @ this scrub that can't google "numix kde" to get the least worst theme on the least worst desktop environment.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

what's the diff between tvtwm and vtwm?

i used vtwm for a while, i even contributed a small chunk of code to it back in the mid-1990s, that's probably still there to this day. :coal:

I think tvtwm and vtwm are just different implementations of a large virtual desktop atop twm. tvtwm is just what a lot of us at CMU used.

either way, dehumanize yourself and face to Xlib

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

ZShakespeare posted:

look @ this scrub that can't google "numix kde" to get the least worst theme on the least worst desktop environment.

this looks a lot like gnome. at least the file browser? wtf?