Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
I make a long cut using an Xacto blade (whatever the width of the sheet is,) then use scissors to snip the short cut. Honestly, it isn't much work at all, and you can knock out a lot of bases while watching TV or something. Unless you're super busy or have kids, the savings is worth the mindless activity. But that's up to you.

As for cases, you can use anything that will hold your models. I use either Battlefoam or Army Transport with the center of the tray removed (so it looks like an frame with a back, or a box.) In the past, I've put in foamcore that was cut to size with the adhesive steel paper attached and set the tray into the foam. The foamcore adds a bit of rigidity.

Going forward through, I am using magnetic whiteboards cut to fit my foam trays - the material is about the same weight, more rigid, and winds up being cheaper than steel paper. You have to cut it with a boxcutter and you're all set. You can get the whiteboards cheap with a coupon at Michaels or AC Moore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

In regards to miniature storage, I took a page out of Doctor Faust's Painting Clinic's book, and bought some cheap steel cake baking pans (the ones that come with plastic covers that have handles on 'em, for transporting cakes) and some rare earth magnets. After super-gluing the magnets to the underside of the bases (I'm using the Warmachine style round lip bases; I started out with 4mm x 2mm magnets, but the next batch I ordered is gonna be 6mm x 2mm), I now have an easy-to-carry storage solution. :c00lbert:

Doc Faust's got a few vids on how to do this sort of magnetized miniature storage, with the aforementioned cake pans, as well as doing stuff like putting sheet steel at the bottom of Snapware plastic containers, and so on. I decided to go the quick & dirty route with the cake pans. :v:

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

Sydney Bottocks posted:

In regards to miniature storage, I took a page out of Doctor Faust's Painting Clinic's book, and bought some cheap steel cake baking pans (the ones that come with plastic covers that have handles on 'em, for transporting cakes) and some rare earth magnets. After super-gluing the magnets to the underside of the bases (I'm using the Warmachine style round lip bases; I started out with 4mm x 2mm magnets, but the next batch I ordered is gonna be 6mm x 2mm), I now have an easy-to-carry storage solution. :c00lbert:

Doc Faust's got a few vids on how to do this sort of magnetized miniature storage, with the aforementioned cake pans, as well as doing stuff like putting sheet steel at the bottom of Snapware plastic containers, and so on. I decided to go the quick & dirty route with the cake pans. :v:

This video? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3TvgzBQtZ0

That looks like a great solution. I like the idea of using magnetic whiteboard in the bottom of an Army Transport style pluck foam sheet, berzerkermonkey, but those transport cases are always so pricey to grab. They're nice, for sure, but I could never get over the cases being more than $100 for ones of a decent size.

nesbit37 fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Feb 18, 2015

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

nesbit37 posted:

That looks like a great solution. I like the idea of using magnetic whiteboard in the bottom of an Army Transport style pluck foam sheet, berzerkermonkey, but those transport cases are always so pricey to grab. Their nice, for sure, but I could never get over the cases being more than $100 for ones of a decent size.

Yep, that's the one! The only things I didn't do that Doc Faust did here is make the cake pan a "dual-layer" storage case (don't have any armies big enough currently to justify the extra effort), and I didn't need to add any gaffers tape/scrub out the "non-stick surface" like he did. The cake pans I bought (I forget the brand name, but I found them at a Big Lots store, so if you're in the USA and have one nearby, you should be able to find them for around $10 or so) are supposed to be non-stick, but the magnetized minis I have done so far don't slide around in the pan at all, so I haven't had to do any extra work. Just magnetize the little bastards, pop 'em in the pan, put the cover back on, and my work's done. :cool:

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

nesbit37 posted:

That looks like a great solution. I like the idea of using magnetic whiteboard in the bottom of an Army Transport style pluck foam sheet, berzerkermonkey, but those transport cases are always so pricey to grab. They're nice, for sure, but I could never get over the cases being more than $100 for ones of a decent size.

Yeah, they are pricey up front, but you really only need one. I swap out trays depending on the game I'm playing. The downside of something like cheap cake pans is that if you drop one, I don't care how strong your magnets are, poo poo is going to break. With a foam case, whether you go Battlefoam, Army Transport, or K&R (which I cannot personally vouch for, but people seem to like them) you'll at least have some level of protection.

There are cheaper alternatives - Battlefoam always has a 25% off sale at least twice a year, and they offer free shipping if you order at a convention. They have a canvas-type bag that uses Army Transport size trays loaded with pluck foam for $62. If you really hate Romeo from BF, you can get an AT bag for $90.

Here's my argument - we spend thousands of dollars on minis, but cheap out on storage and protection. It's like buying a car and then skimping on oil changes because it's "too expensive."

counterspin
Apr 2, 2010

Also, having a good bag which is always packed with your stuff makes it way easier to get games in at random because you don't have to spend half an hour getting your figs together.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

As an experiment, I just now dropped the cake pan that currently holds my minis (some Khador for Warmachine, plus some various Reaper fantasy figures), some of which required pinning to hold arms and such in place, from a height of about three feet. The minis inside bounced a bit, but nothing broke or chipped or whatnot. So I would say that if you're uncertain of your minis' safety inside such a container when traveling, then definitely buy a transport case with some foam (or maybe figure out a way to line the sides of the cake pan with foam perhaps). For just pure storage purposes (meaning, you either just buy figures to collect and paint, or you never plan to game outside the confines of your home), the cake pan+magnets route should still be a perfectly acceptable alternative.

Commissar Canuck
Aug 5, 2008

They made fun of us! And it's Stanley Cup season!

I'm trying to figure out the best way to paint some engine glow on an A-wing model, does anyone have any guides or recommendations? I assume airbrush is the best method? Here's a pic for reference:

Commissar Canuck fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Feb 19, 2015

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Commissar Canuck posted:

I'm trying to figure out the best way to paint some engine glow on an A-wing model, does anyone have any guides or recommendations? I assume airbrush is the best method? Here's a pic for reference:

http://chestofcolors.com/how-to-paint-osl-effect-jump-pack/

Adapt this, maybe?

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

"Whenever there's injustice, wrongs to be righted, innocents to be defended, The Sisko will be there, delivering ass-whooppings."
Been working on a magnetized wolf lord on a thunderwolf that my girlfriend has nicknamed Conan.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
I can see why.

Dirt Worshipper
Apr 2, 2007

Paralithodes Californiensis

The Sisko posted:

Been working on a magnetized wolf lord on a thunderwolf that my girlfriend has nicknamed Conan.

That dudes really at the mercy of that wolf behaving.

But, seeing as he is equipped with lightning claws, the wolf's best interesting is making certain he doesn't have to hang on

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
Looking at doing a gold-armored model soon and I'd like to forego my usual go-to of brown ink, as I'd like to make the gold pop a little more and be less muted than the brown usually makes it. Which colors would work best to accomplish this?

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

PantsOptional posted:

Looking at doing a gold-armored model soon and I'd like to forego my usual go-to of brown ink, as I'd like to make the gold pop a little more and be less muted than the brown usually makes it. Which colors would work best to accomplish this?

This is how I usually do it:

Reaper: Ancient Bronze > brown wash > Antique Gold > New Gold > GW Mithril Silver > brown wash > purple wash in recesses > sparse highlights with silver.

This nets you a pretty rich gold that also pops out more. Silver is pretty important for a highlight stage, provided it's used sparingly and for edge highlights.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
What's a good process for Tau skin? I've got Vallejo paints and GW washes.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

Slimnoid posted:

This is how I usually do it:

Reaper: Ancient Bronze > brown wash > Antique Gold > New Gold > GW Mithril Silver > brown wash > purple wash in recesses > sparse highlights with silver.

This nets you a pretty rich gold that also pops out more. Silver is pretty important for a highlight stage, provided it's used sparingly and for edge highlights.

That's actually pretty close to how I'm doing most of my gold already, sans the purple wash, so this is excellent.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

berzerkmonkey posted:

Yeah - here is a good deal: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Magnetic-sh...=item2a3d9c9088

On a related note, does anyone know where to get adhesive backed steel rubber (flexible steel sheets) cheap? Litko sells it but it is crazy expensive from them.

FYI, just found that Hurlbat has sheets of it (though they are temporarily out of stock), same size as Litko, for £1.25 a sheet. I had problems ordering multiple things of bases from their ebay store so they directed me to their webstore and I ran into it there.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

nesbit37 posted:

FYI, just found that Hurlbat has sheets of it (though they are temporarily out of stock), same size as Litko, for £1.25 a sheet. I had problems ordering multiple things of bases from their ebay store so they directed me to their webstore and I ran into it there.

Sigh - and after I received my base order from them. Of course. Thanks for the heads up though.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

There's also Magnetic Display, dunno how the prices compare though - http://www.magneticdisplays.co.uk/magnetic-displays/lightweight-range

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Commissar Canuck posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBiwFjluDu0

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

Confucius say: Tripod with four balls cannot walk.
Ever thought about putting some scale items on a base like that? Houses, cars, and such could emphasize its scale.

PierreTheMime posted:

Crossposting a finished Canoptek Wraith:

Not a fan of the lenses on the head, (primary red next to primary yellow often looks quirky to me) but the rest is buttah, pure buttah. I really like the subtle lighting on the back.

Bavius
Jun 4, 2010

Smurfs don't lay eggs! I won't tell you this again! Papa Smurf has a fucking beard! They're mammals!
Progress, I'm nearly done but I need to gloss varnish and do some oils, decals and weathering powder. Still had to share.

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

:wom: will blow your mind.

Looks cool, side note, the unfortunate shadow and angle makes it look like the marine has a candle on his head.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Bavius posted:

Progress, I'm nearly done but I need to gloss varnish and do some oils, decals and weathering powder. Still had to share.

Basius pad bro :mmmhmm::respek::mmmhmm:

I just used the same pad for my rebs deadzone team

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Banging with all due hardness.

WhiteOutMouse posted:

Looks cool, side note, the unfortunate shadow and angle makes it look like the marine has a candle on his head.

I really thought he did and it was just some 40k thing I don't know about like an order of marines that take a sacred oath to keep spread the emperor's light but of course the oath is taken very literally and all their candles are lit by one candle the emperor lit long ago.

Commissar Canuck
Aug 5, 2008

They made fun of us! And it's Stanley Cup season!

Thanks for those guides, I'm pretty happy with how this first attempt turned out :toot:

I tried airbrushing in some carbon buildup by the guns, but one side is a little thicker than I'd like. Since this is paint over gloss coat, can I just take a paper towel with airbrush cleaner or something and wipe it off or will that just make things worse?

Bavius
Jun 4, 2010

Smurfs don't lay eggs! I won't tell you this again! Papa Smurf has a fucking beard! They're mammals!

WhiteOutMouse posted:

Haha, fantastic.

NTRabbit, it's a solid basing pad. I want to get the clean version for more variety though.

e: wip for illumination

Bavius fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Feb 20, 2015

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Commissar Canuck posted:

Thanks for those guides, I'm pretty happy with how this first attempt turned out :toot:

I tried airbrushing in some carbon buildup by the guns, but one side is a little thicker than I'd like. Since this is paint over gloss coat, can I just take a paper towel with airbrush cleaner or something and wipe it off or will that just make things worse?

I'd go brighter in the middle. OSL looks better when the light source (the jet flame in this case) is the brightest thing in the area by far. The flame area (not that it is a flame but w/e) actually looks if anything a little darker, which it shouldn't; it's emitting the light that is reflecting from everything else.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010
That's the most inventive use of the Marine casualty model I have seen. The Dreadnaught moving to protect him is ... is ... forging the narrative aauugh! :gonk:

Maybe he just wants to stand by him so he can eject and that poor guy can replace him for the next millennium.

If any newer painters are still watching this thread: models you paint look awful at first and it takes time! I was a teenager when I started, it's easy to be blown away by the work of professionals then be stunned when I ended up with yellow and black bumblebee space elves (I don't even remember what I painted their weapons like, I have photos... somewhere).

Stuff looks even worse when painting a light color over a dark one. Not only does it take multiple coats, but after you thin your paints you must thin your paints- really. When applying multiple coats if there are any wrinkles in the first coat, the second coat will be even more wrinkled, then the third coat will be downright lumpy. Even base coating sucks! Unless you take the extra effort to mount each model on a stick or a thin strip of Whatever, the models must be re-positioned several times to ensure that the color and sheen are even, and that the entire surface is coated with paint.

Left: One coat of thin bone-colored paint. "Oh gently caress, this looks like poo poo!" Don't worry.
Right: Two coats of thin bone-colored paint. Almost there, a third coat should do it.

1) Watery paint tends to form bubbles, pop them with your brush before the paint dries.
2) Watery paint tends to pool around the edges of raised edges or into the recesses. With a dry brush, suck up this excess before it dries and drowns out detail (no pun intended).

I really don't get Citadel painting guides. Had I used a base paint of some shade of brown it would merely be a different color that I must completely cover. I spray painted the weapons white but that just hides the imperfections in the brushed on layers easier to hide or less noticeable.

Bavius
Jun 4, 2010

Post 9-11 User posted:

That's the most inventive use of the Marine casualty model I have seen. The Dreadnaught moving to protect him is ... is ... forging the narrative aauugh! :gonk:

Maybe he just wants to stand by him so he can eject and that poor guy can replace him for the next millennium.

If any newer painters are still watching this thread: models you paint look awful at first and it takes time! I was a teenager when I started, it's easy to be blown away by the work of professionals then be stunned when I ended up with yellow and black bumblebee space elves (I don't even remember what I painted their weapons like, I have photos... somewhere).

Thank you very much! My Minotaurs are the first army where I've considered the narrative from inception.

Great message for newer painters, the biggest thing that helped me was practice and I still think I'm learning quite a bit.

Oh and that's a helmet crest. Not a candle, but I can't unsee it now.

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

I've been working on an overcomplicated, yet cunning plan to make true-scale Grey Knights.
For this I'm going to 3D print and cast Storm Bolters and backpacks.
Here's the Storm Bolter and a scale comparison with a normal bolter:

Any suggestions or comments before I send this off the the printers?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Are you sure you don't want to do side-by-side barrels?

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

Yup, that's one of the big reasons for doing this whole thing in the first place :D

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
Is there another ejector port higher up on the right side?

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Banging with all due hardness.
On the subject of new painters(myself included) Dan Harmon gave some really good advice on writer's block that could be applied to any creative endeavor. So here's basically what he said, just change "write" to "paint":

Prove that you're a bad writer. You're trying to prove that you're a good writer and that's what's blocking you. No matter how good you get, you're always going to think
you should be better than you are because you want to be a good writer and you will be by thinking that but it's not going to get you writing right now. The only thing
that's going to make you better is practicing. The only thing you're going to be able to write right now is something worse than what you think you should be writing. So you
have to stop thinking about the thing that you're going to eventually be able to do and you have to start thinking about the thing that you are terrified you will do because
that will go by very quickly.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

HardCoil posted:

Well 2 things stick out to me about storm bolters; one is that they have a thick cowling over the barrels, and the other is that their rear end-end is bigger so that it fits a terminator hand. Also, most storm bolters have this flat iron thing sticking forward from under the barrel. I think this is either a track for the ammo box, or a mount for a chainthing.

I would just beef it up a little more. The basic size difference is there, but parts of it should be heaftier IMO.

Here's what I mean:

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?

HardCoil posted:

I've been working on an overcomplicated, yet cunning plan to make true-scale Grey Knights.
For this I'm going to 3D print and cast Storm Bolters and backpacks.
Here's the Storm Bolter and a scale comparison with a normal bolter:

So what is so cunning about your plan ?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Has anyone ever dealt with or painted with "holographic" paint , it's the kind that gives the prismatic rainbow colours that you'd see one some cars and vehicles. I ask because I found a company that sells a pearlescent coat that supposedly works, but am really apprehensive.

This is kind of the effect I'm going for.

http://www.thecustompaintshop.com/

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
I haven't had much time to work on my UCM lately but i might get some prototypes for light dropship clamps done today.

I also had some ideas for scratchbuilt shaltari rolling around in the back of my head. I might never get around to building them but i made a test piece for the teleport gates today.
It's six layers of 0.5mm acrylic with various test patterns engraved and lit from the side by a tiny LED. It does have more depth irl than shows up in in the photo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Bistromatic posted:

I haven't had much time to work on my UCM lately but i might get some prototypes for light dropship clamps done today.

I also had some ideas for scratchbuilt shaltari rolling around in the back of my head. I might never get around to building them but i made a test piece for the teleport gates today.
It's six layers of 0.5mm acrylic with various test patterns engraved and lit from the side by a tiny LED. It does have more depth irl than shows up in in the photo.

That is some really amazing poo poo right there. You need to start making kits of it ASAP. All the Infinity nerds are going to have an orgasm for it.

• Locked thread