Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Diddy Kong Racing was a good game, and it was better than Mario Kart 64. :colbert: There, I said it.

Regarding Donkey Kong 64, it was not a bad game, really. I recall liking it, even though I was never able to 100% it because of the Donkey Kong arcade game you had to play to get one of the medals. I got the Jetpack one just fine, but not Donkey Kong. :argh:

What was weird about it and threw me off was, it didn't feel like a Donkey Kong Country game. It felt like Banjo-Kazooie. Now, I love me some Banjo-Kakooie, naturally, but I thought I was getting Donkey Kong Country. If I wanted to play Banjo-Kazooie, I would just play that! I can't describe why I felt this way, but I did. Anybody else with me on that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
If it doesn't have "country" in the title, then you got what you paid for.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Ex-Rare composers Grant Kirkhope, David Wise, Steve Burke confirmed to work on Playtonic Games' spiritual Banjo sequel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-qoiowzfKc&feature=youtu.be

quote:

[Since Playtonic’s official “coming out” last week , there’s been a brass band-load of speculation around who will weave musical fabric for our debut game – and pretty much all of it was accurate.

To be fair, that’s mostly thanks to our own relentless teasing on social media (oh, we do love a tease), which in particular caused the messiah-like Twitter status of a certain former-Rare composer to come crashing down on our doors, like a violent mob demanding steel drum melodies and catchy A cappella tunes.

But you can put down your shovels now, because today we can officially confirm that one Grant Kirkhope, legendary composer of Banjo-Kazooie, Viva Piñata and more, has agreed to make music for our first game. And what’s more, he’s agreed to do it for a regular wage of Yorkshire Teabags, which we’ll ship directly to his bleak, Tetley-free sound suite in rainy California (we may have hidden this detail in the small print).

But wait, there’s more! As charitable types, we don’t like to see any of our former noise makers go without work, and so we’ve managed to convince David Wise, equally legendary composer of 20-years-worth of Rare games including the Donkey Kong Country series, to contribute tunage to our first game. And all for a bumper box of Werther’s Originals.

Pulling it all together is the esteemed sound man Steve Burke, best known for his magical score for Kameo: Elements of Power and all manner of sound effects , voices and fart noises for Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts ‘n Bolts. Sadly, Steve insists on being paid in real currency.

Phew. How’s that for an announcement? For all you Tweeters, you can follow Playtonic’s music men at @grantkirkhope, @ David_Wise and @SteveBurkeMusic. Tell ‘em we sent you, but don’t mention the minimum wage.

http://www.playtonicgames.com/

GirlCalledBob
Jul 17, 2013
Steve is a fool, Werther's Originals are worth more than gold.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
I'm less worried about who's making music and much more about who's making the game into a game. That's a role that seems to be heavily overlooked.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy

Yorkshire Tea posted:

If you don't think King K'Rool Kardboard Kutout doesn't redeem an entire game then we don't live in the same universe.

I don't because that boss fight was a piece of poo poo and not fun at all.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
How do you rank the Kardboard Kutout above the boxing match? :psyduck: At least the boxing match had the different members contribute in a meaningful way beyond operating as fungible ammunition.

Precambrian
Apr 30, 2008

Kurieg posted:

How do you rank the Kardboard Kutout above the boxing match? :psyduck: At least the boxing match had the different members contribute in a meaningful way beyond operating as fungible ammunition.

Kutout's just weirder, and they're both amazing concepts, but the fact that the Kongs don't matter as anything more than ammo really makes the fight click. Where are the Kongs going? Why can't they just beat up the Kremlings behind the wall? Why does it keep making those noises? Why is anything happening at all?

Kutout answers none of these questions. And it's great for it.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
good lp so far. I have a suggestion: make a train like the log choice in part 7 but longer and then attach the front and back end together and drive around a horrible ouroboros

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Gulping Again posted:

Did I miss anything that I didn't obviously omit because it did not merit discussion?
Jet Force Gemini had some hard-to-get collectable that you had to get every last one of before you could beat the game.

Diddy Kong Racing was a good game with great music. I hope somebody does the racing adventure thing again.

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!

Kurieg posted:

Donkey's section is alright but should've been the final one, considering it's HIS game and firing yourself out of a cannon as the final strikes would've fit more.

Diddy's flying controls were never meant to combine with his shooting controls, especially when you're also trying to avoid attacks at the same time.

Tiny's is gross but aside from being a little long has nothing really wrong with it.

Lanky's barrel buttons have really touchy hit detection.

Chunky's section doesn't really give you any real challenge or indication that what you're doing makes any sense at all, not to mention it doesn't tell you that you have to use the Primate Punch.

In other words, because King K Rool's fight is really bad, meanwhile King Kutout is silly and novel in a game that refuses to innovate in any meaningful way otherwise.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

Unknown Quantity posted:

meanwhile King Kutout is silly and novel in a game that refuses to innovate in any meaningful way otherwise.

Too bad it's a lovely boss fight that has literally 0 danger from the boss itself, and 99% of the times you lose is not because of the weak rear end lasers but because you have basically a 4 frame window in the last legs to hit him, which you have to pull off three times, and if you miss you lose that Kong. No silly gimmicks or goofy sound effects will change the fact that from a design standpoint King Kutout is the worst boss in a game where the bosses peaked at the third level and went sharply downhill from there until the final boss. Yeah, he made me laugh, and then I actually had to fight him. He got way less endearing and way more annoying at that point.

And while I agree with your points with the final bosses somewhat, I do have some counterpoints:

Diddy's flying controls WERE meant to combine with shooting controls. You do it plenty of times throughout the game. It's more that his flying controls were never meant to work in such cramped quarters and his shooting controls while flying were never meant to hit targets that small. It's still the shittiest section in the entire boss fight but saying the controls were never meant to be combined is not entirely truthful.

I found that Lankey's Barrel buttons had fine hit detection, it's more a problem with trying to get K. Rool to go in the proper path. It's much easier if you just travel in a diamond and lead him around that way.

Why would I not Primate Punch K. Rool in Chunky's section? It's his strongest melee move and K. Rool moves slow enough to pull it off. The rest of your complaints stand though, that bit was nonsensical, even for that character (who i found more nonsensical than lanky).

free basket of chips
Sep 7, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I wonder if the vehicle building skills you learn in this game transfer to besieged at all.

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

May our CoX spray white sticky fluid at our enemies forever!
HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat

Red Suit posted:

I wonder if the vehicle building skills you learn in this game transfer to besieged at all.

Probably not that well. Besieged considers material stress quite well.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Kurieg posted:

I mean, I don't, but Kardboard Kutout is basically everything I ever loved about Rare's sense of humour piled into a boss fight.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

I thought they were both pretty fantastic.

You know, unlike nuts and bolts.

Dex01
Apr 9, 2012

Our favourite game starring everyone's favourite green soldier.
Update!

P.A. Master joins me as we finish off Logbox, unlock the best vehicle part, and take our first look at a giant empty bowl the Jiggoseum!

Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts Part 9: Logbox 720 Act 6 & Jiggoseum Act 1 [YouTube]/[Polsy]

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

Official Banjo timeline, right here.

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009
T.T. got upset that all his times got beat in Diddy Kong Racing, so he dabbled in time travel to try to get even faster. Unfortunately, this caused consequences. He became Trophy Thomas. And to his dismay, his records keep getting smashed. He is in a hell of his own making.

Also, the talk of repainting sonic car reminded me of something you said you were going to do: Change a car just by the paint job.

The show is Medabot. The robot is named Metabee. For some reason.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

Kgummy posted:

The show is Medabot. The robot is named Metabee. For some reason.

Medabots, and Metabee's name is a portmanteau of Metal Beetle.

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009

Chimera-gui posted:

I thought I put the 's' there. Whoops. And now I'm vaguely recalling that explanation. I had actually forgotten about that show, it's been so long.

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

kalonZombie posted:

Official Banjo timeline, right here.

Where does Sonic and Sega All-Stars Racing fit in? And Banjo Pilot?

Why has Banjo been in so many racing games

Dex01
Apr 9, 2012

Our favourite game starring everyone's favourite green soldier.

majormonotone posted:

Where does Sonic and Sega All-Stars Racing fit in? And Banjo Pilot?

I got you covered don't worry

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all

Chimera-gui posted:

This is getting really Meta.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Dex01 posted:

Are you trying to say that Banjo died in that plane crash, and this is vehicle hell(the hell for people who died in vehicles)?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Dex01 posted:

You missed an important point raised by PA Master.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

I can't believe Boggy gave Banjo steroids.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

You know this video is a pretty good representation of N&Bs reputation: There's a lot of whining and moaning about the game and how it functions, and then an incredibly silly vehicle rolls out and laughs and fun are had in spite of the bad game design.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Why do all your "getting around the level" vehicles have the tray in them? I know it's mandated in the main hub area, but why in the other areas?

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Trick Question posted:

Why do all your "getting around the level" vehicles have the tray in them? I know it's mandated in the main hub area, but why in the other areas?

Probably because most missions are transport item A to location B, and he wants to select one thing every time.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Make a rickshaw, commonly referred to in some countries as a tuk-tuk.

Tofu Survivor
Nov 4, 2011

Contrary to popular belief, soy is not an effective zombie deterrent.
Heya, Dex. Don't quote me on this because it's been a while, but... much like with parking the trolley by the Jig-O-Vend machines to scoop all the Jiggies, you can park it on the pink square by Mumbo's Motors so you don't have to move each individual crate.

NeoAnjou
Jul 22, 2010
So - the Jiggoseum. Do you think it could have anything to do with London 2012?

I believe they announce the host for the Olympics 7 years ahead of the games, so London 2012 would have been announced in 2005 (I believe the day before the 7-7 terrorist attacks, but that's not important). That's early enough to make it into a game in 2008, right?

Of course my reaction at the time like much of the nation (I was a very cynical 21 year old) was that I wished that Paris has won because (given the awful reputation of the London Underground at the time) it would have been quicker to get to! But it was undoubtably a massive influence on the British zeitgeist - I mean, even more than sporting events normally are*.

Having an Olympic style stadium would seem to be in keeping with what British people were concerned with, but maybe I'm just looking post-facto because it was the best Olympics ever**.

[* BTW - England for the 6 Nations this year! Or France... Or Ireland... Or Wales... or the teams who won't win. I like Rugby, but I'm not really that patriotic!]

[** Your mileage may vary.]

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Tofu Survivor posted:

Heya, Dex. Don't quote me on this because it's been a while, but... much like with parking the trolley by the Jig-O-Vend machines to scoop all the Jiggies, you can park it on the pink square by Mumbo's Motors so you don't have to move each individual crate.

He did this in an earlier episode.

Usually he just has too many boxes from areas far apart to make that helpful.

GirlCalledBob
Jul 17, 2013
I went to see Robot Wars being filmed once! A long, long time ago, when I was but a young child who thought robots were wicked awesome, as opposed to being a young adult who thinks robots are wicked awesome. It was a really great evening out, actually. More fun than this game.

My mum won a T-shirt with Sgt. Bash on it and I am literally wearing it right now because it's old and huge and therefore the best for sleeping in.
(My mum won the T-shirt because the people who were keeping the crowd entertained in between fights were asking for robot concepts and she said hers would be called MaxiMum because my mum is great.)

My dad also knew a group of people who had a 'bot that did decently well, because he works at a military engineering college and I guess TV robot fights are the kind of thing professors at military colleges do for fun. He also knew one of the regular expert judges on Scrapheap Challenge. (American name: Junkyard Wars)

Those are all my Robot Wars stories.

Gearface
Feb 25, 2013
Can we talk about how good P.A. Master's announcer voice is? That was the best part of the video.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
Okay, after extensive research, I have completed the definitive Banjo Timeline.

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

NO ONE risks painful injury on your GREEN SLIME GHOST POGO RIDE.

No one but YOU.

Pyroi posted:

Okay, after extensive research, I have completed the definitive Banjo Timeline.

But where's the original Xbox re-release of Conker's Bad Fur Day fit?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Pidmon posted:

But where's the original Xbox re-release of Conker's Bad Fur Day fit?

The timeline where Banjo fails to defeat Gruntilda and King Jinjo floods the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

Make the Great Glass Wonkavator.

• Locked thread