Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

That's a pretty good poll of who's been mentioned in the news most recently. Expect a similar surge for Jeb and maybe Rand Paul in the next round since they're getting ink this week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

ComradeCosmobot posted:

This is why I hold the belief that the only way to win in the long run is by electing a Republican
In 2016. Better to have those coattails on a non-Census year and at least have a chance of blaming the next economic crisis on the Republicans than take the one-two punch of an economic crisis leading to a one-term Hillary and Republican wave in 2020. Plus, a loss forces Dems to play for Congress and state houses in 2018, which are both far more necessary than trying to get 51 in 2016 only to be guaranteed to lose it again in 2018 in Hillary's midterm.

Granted, this means Republicans have incumbency going into 2020, but incumbent coattails aren't going to help Ernst and her class as much as they would gain from an economic crisis in 2017.

Now it's true that you lose Ginsberg's seat on SCOTUS but you aren't getting a new Warren Court until Scalia kicks the bucket anyway. And he's not going to until there's a Republican in the White House anyway, so it's a moot point.

If you want to ruin someone's life go kill some SCOTUS justices, at least you're only ruining your own (and whichever poor bastards you shoot I guess).

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

computer parts posted:

If you want to ruin someone's life go kill some SCOTUS justices, at least you're only ruining your own (and whichever poor bastards you shoot I guess).
Any political assassination would only shift us further to the right.
Now, as for the ethics of assassinating a politician who is unelected and has a lifetime appointment, that is an interesting conversation that can thankfully be had in this great country without fear of reprisal.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I don't know why you people think that 2016 to 2020 is going to be a bad period of time to be president. People are so beaten up over the past 14 years that the slightly less stinky poo poo they are going to be choking down in the near future will taste comparatively great. Hillary might find a way to gently caress it up (5 years is a long time) but I don't know how you could say that our outlook in 2015 looks worse than it did in 2011.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Cliff Racer posted:

I don't know why you people think that 2016 to 2020 is going to be a bad period of time to be president. People are so beaten up over the past 14 years that the slightly less stinky poo poo they are going to be choking down in the near future will taste comparatively great. Hillary might find a way to gently caress it up (5 years is a long time) but I don't know how you could say that our outlook in 2015 looks worse than it did in 2011.

I think people are thinking of the "America has gotten continually shittier over the past 30 years" thing and are figuring that that trend will just kind of keep happening if everything is labelled R after the next election. I'm pretty sure the Republicans would summon Cthulhu and feed him black people if such a thing were actually possible.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Cliff Racer posted:

if I were president

I'd be elected in 2016
I'd coordinate strikes against Iran in 2017
I'd deal with the fallout of Russian tactical nuke use against Ukraine in 2018
I'd drink away my troubles with tax reform in 2019
I'd be as good as politically dead in 2020

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Kalman posted:

I too think handing Republicans control of both houses and the presidency at the same time is a choice that won't lead to immediate long-lasting disaster.

Much agreed. You guys were alive for the Bush years right?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Wait, why bomb Iran?

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Lockback posted:

Wait, why bomb Iran?

Because if we don't bomb them now, the Iraq war would be meaningless.

Unless, of course, they offer us a good nuke agreement. However, that don't looj possible.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Lockback posted:

Wait, why bomb Iran?

Because they're at the RED LINE:

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

My Imaginary GF posted:

That's a better justification than most of the ones I've heard, frankly. At least it's honest.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Any political assassination would only shift us further to the right.
Now, as for the ethics of assassinating a politician who is unelected and has a lifetime appointment, that is an interesting conversation that can thankfully be had in this great country without fear of reprisal.

You realize people have gotten visits from law enforcement for having "interesting conversations" like that on this very forum, yes?

Caros
May 14, 2008

My Imaginary GF posted:

Unless, of course, they offer us a good nuke agreement. However, that don't looj possible.

The Iraq war was meaningless.

And does it occur to you that the sstated result of your foreign policy, assuming you are right (you aren't), is a nuke being dropped on Ukraine. Does that sound like a good, or even sane thing for the stated goal that appears to be 'sunk cost fallacy'.

Seriously dude, get back on your meds if you think Russia is going to nuke anyone in our lifetimes.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Chadderbox posted:

You realize people have gotten visits from law enforcement for having "interesting conversations" like that on this very forum, yes?

I wonder how hard lowtax will shut down DnD if the SCOTUS Police (their actual name) knock on his door.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007
PLEASE DO NOT DISCUSS ASSASSINATION IN THE POLITICS FORUM, FOR gently caress'S loving SAKE

DO I HAVE TO PUT THIS INTO THE FORUM NAME OR SOMETHING????

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

XyloJW posted:

PLEASE DO NOT DISCUSS ASSASSINATION IN THE POLITICS FORUM, FOR gently caress'S loving SAKE

it goes in Let's Play?

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

XyloJW posted:

2016 Presidential Primary:

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

My Imaginary GF posted:

if I were president

I'd be elected in 2016
I'd coordinate strikes against Iran in 2017
I'd deal with the fallout of Russian tactical nuke use against Ukraine in 2018
I'd drink away my troubles with tax reform in 2019
I'd be as good as politically dead in 2020
I'll bite.

Why does Russia use tactical nuclear weapons against the Ukraine because we engaged in strikes against Iran? Please, paint me this picture. Perhaps include some reference to the inevitable spread of Ebola into India while you are here.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Meet the College Student Who Started a Super PAC to Get Millennials to Vote for Jeb Bush

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

The best part:

quote:

The Washington state native, who got his start in politics working as the campaign sign coordinator for a mayoral candidate in high school, hired an artist online (“I think someone in India”) to design a graphic for merchandise. The online store is currently selling $20 “Jeb the Thinker” T-shirts and $35 flasks. And Agnew already has received his first donation: $250.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/post-politics/wp/2015/02/17/millennials-for-jeb-tries-to-catch-up-with-ready-for-hillary/

:boom: Jeb's got a 21 year old yard sign coordinator in his corner. Pack it in Hillailures! :boom:

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Nessus posted:

I'll bite.

Why does Russia use tactical nuclear weapons against the Ukraine because we engaged in strikes against Iran? Please, paint me this picture. Perhaps include some reference to the inevitable spread of Ebola into India while you are here.

Look, it's not like Putin can drop a nuke on Western Russia. So how else is he going to get that sweet radioactive fallout where he wants it without dropping a nuke on the Ukraine instead?

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Lockback posted:

Wait, why bomb Iran?
"Axis of evil!"
"They hate Israel!"
"Iran will have a Nuclear Weapon any day now!"
"We have to fight the bad guys!"

The real reason: "Those fuckers took our guys hostage!" in 1979
The other real reason: "something something they're all Muslims/terrorists/Middle Easterners/[insert various Middle Eastern ethnic slurs here] anyway."
The other other real reason (aka the really real one): Money. Lots and lots of money.

Also Obama is making a deal with Iran and Obama bad, so anything Obama wants is automatically bad.

oldswitcheroo
Apr 27, 2008

The bombers opened their bomb bay doors, exerted a miraculous magnetism which shrunk the fires, gathered them into cylindrical steel containers, and lifted the containers into the bellies of the planes.

ErIog posted:

The best part:

:boom: Jeb's got a 21 year old yard sign coordinator in his corner. Pack it in Hillailures! :boom:

Watch it! All those signs are going to show up and vote!

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Kalman posted:

I too think handing Republicans control of both houses and the presidency at the same time is a choice that won't lead to immediate long-lasting disaster.

I didn't mean to come off as accelerationist so much as a political pragmatist. As everyone has already noted, the Republicans very probably won't lose Congress before 2018 (at the very earliest) and midterm blowback for the party in the White House is real, putting even that date into question if we have President Hillary.

Meanwhile, Democrats can't hold the White House forever. Republicans can still get 47% of the vote, and Quinnipiac just came out with a set of polls saying that Hillary barely does better than any named Republican in Virginia and Colorado, so she's probably not going to do much better.

So when do you propose we let them in, if you really want Castro/Castro 2024?

Of course the real answer is that Republicans will win in 2020 no matter who wins 2016. Hillary loses if the economy crashes, so a Republican president in 2016 gets to be portrayed as saving the economy and safely avoids having to deal with it happening on his watch so he has a safer time with incumbency in 2020. Conversely, a Hillary win means the economy hasn't crashed, and then that means she gets the blame and loses 2020 when it does.

The only possible way Republicans lose 2020 is if the economy miraculously fails to enter a recession for 11 years straight after 2009 [very unlikely; the longest period was during the 1990s and that was only 10 years], Hillary somehow avoids the blame for it [very unlikely with Republicans blocking any meaningful financial assistance for a recovery], or Republicans win in 2016 without the economy going bust [somewhat unlikely; basically means some other poo poo sandwich has to happen, like a terrorist attack]

ComradeCosmobot fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Feb 19, 2015

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Of course the real answer is that Republicans will win in 2020 no matter who wins 2016. Hillary loses if the economy crashes, so a Republican president in 2016 gets to be portrayed as saving the economy and safely avoids having to deal with it happening on his watch so he has a safer time with incumbency in 2020. Conversely, a Hillary win means the economy hasn't crashed, and then that means she gets the blame and loses 2020 when it does.

The only possibly way Republicans lose 2020 is if the economy miraculously fails to enter a recession for 11 years straight after 2009 [very unlikely; the longest period was during the 1990s and that was only 10 years], Hillary somehow avoids the blame for it [very unlikely with Republicans blocking any meaningful financial assistance for a recovery], or Republicans win in 2016 without the economy going bust [somewhat unlikely; basically means some other poo poo sandwich has to happen, like a terrorist attack]

Incumbents don't generally lose either. The last one to lose was because his party got mad at him, not because of the electorate itself ( a large spoiler candidate didn't help either).

The last one to lose before that was due to foreign policy.

Also remember the late 19th Century had shittons of panics downturns and they only had one Democrat elected in like 40 years.

computer parts fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Feb 19, 2015

TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001
Even taking that analysis as true, I'd sacrifice a lot to see the balance changed on the supreme court. I'm expecting a lot of justices to die in the next ten years. I'd rather see the balance swing left, rather than have conservative dominance cemented for the next twenty years.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

computer parts posted:

Incumbents don't generally lose either. The last one to lose was because his party got mad at him, not because of the electorate itself ( a large spoiler candidate didn't help either).

The last one to lose before that was due to foreign policy.

Can you be absolutely certain of that? Both presidents in question also happen to have presided over recessions that ended during their term in office. Now, I'll give you that H.W. was riding high after that recession ended, and may have pulled off a win, but then again, "It's the economy, stupid".

Carter's recession literally lasted almost his entire presidency and did not end until the January of the year he was voted out, so the economic case there is only stronger.

EDIT:

TheBalor posted:

Even taking that analysis as true, I'd sacrifice a lot to see the balance changed on the supreme court. I'm expecting a lot of justices to die in the next ten years. I'd rather see the balance swing left, rather than have conservative dominance cemented for the next twenty years.

Wishful thinking I'm afraid. Hillary 2016 would save Ginsberg's seat, sure, but it's not at all clear she'd get a chance to actually do anything more than be that backstop. It's not like Scalia wouldn't hang on in spite until 2020 just to keep the 5-4 in Republican hands.

ComradeCosmobot fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Feb 19, 2015

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Can you be absolutely certain of that? Both presidents in question also happen to have presided over recessions that ended during their term in office. Now, I'll give you that H.W. was riding high after that recession ended, and may have pulled off a win, but then again, "It's the economy, stupid".

Carter's recession literally lasted almost his entire presidency and did not end until the January of the year he was voted out, so the economic case there is only stronger.

Bush would've won if his party didn't go into a pissy panic about him raising taxes. Carter's issues were more influenced by the economy than I previous said but we are literally in the exact opposite situation as the 1970s right now.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

FAUXTON posted:

You also think net neutrality is a bad idea.

No, I think title 2 is a bad idea. I think net neutrality is a great idea.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

My Imaginary GF posted:

If we bomb Iran, its likely Putin authorizes tactical nukes in Ukraine.

I like how casually you say something completely insane.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Jets owner and Romney backer Woody Johnson is supporting Jeb.

He only backs losers, I guess? Good news for Hillary.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

computer parts posted:

Bush would've won if his party didn't go into a pissy panic about him raising taxes. Carter's issues were more influenced by the economy than I previous said but we are literally in the exact opposite situation as the 1970s right now.

Also there was a super big charisma gap between both Carter/Reagan and Bush/Clinton. With Carter's other issues other than the economy and Bush seeming pretty out of touch there's more to it than just pointing to the recession and deciding that's why they lost. The recessions certainly didn't help, but just being in a recession isn't a kiss of death.

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

My Imaginary GF posted:

Is this a good time to remind you that your schtick is really tired, unimaginative, and boring and that nobody likes you?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Obdicut posted:

Is this a good time to remind you that your schtick is really tired, unimaginative, and boring and that nobody likes you?

I like him, and his gimmick.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Obdicut posted:

Half or less is truth couched in absurdity.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Throw back Thursday Jeb Edition

quote:

Bush's tough brand of conservatism also featured new restrictions for Florida's welfare recipients. In early 1994, Bush unveiled a welfare reform plan dubbed the "Phoenix Project." The goal of the project, he later told the Miami Herald, was to "dismantle the welfare state and all the culture that comes from it."

Under the plan, Florida would refuse to accept federal funds to aid the state's poor families, and restrict benefits to just two years of assistance. To be eligible for benefits, poor women would be required to "identify the fathers of their children, submit to random drug tests and work if jobs were available,"

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/6436546

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

God. drat.

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

You're related to soup, Admiral.

Nonsense posted:

Half or less is truth couched in absurdity.

Taken out of context this reads like a Zen koan.

EDIT

What is this I don't even. "Identify the fathers of their children." Jesus F. Christ.

Alien Arcana fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Feb 19, 2015

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Sounds like we have our 2016 Republican candidate then. How can anyone top that? Maybe Walker could get close, but drat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Kalman posted:

No, I think title 2 is a bad idea. I think net neutrality is a great idea.

Since MIGF is Rahm then you're Randpaul.

• Locked thread