Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

BBJoey posted:

Well the only actual example of resistance Fulchrum brought up was the July 20th Plot which was an attempt by some Nazi officials at assassinating Hitler and instigating a coup in the hope of negotiating a cease-fire with the Allies, so I assumed that's what he meant. If he meant resistance from the general populace that's even more laughable, because after Hitler's purges in the 30s there was barely a hint of dissent for the entirety of the war.

From my own family alone, I know a few personal anecdotes of civil disobedience well into the war (not quite enough to get you killed), and at least two stories of German people opening their house to allied troops coming through and being all "oh thank god you're finally here, hitler bad," which they couldn't have safely voiced earlier because, well, purges. One of those people was even a guard at a POW camp.

I know anecdotes are not data, but when dissent is so heavily silenced, anecdotes that were hush-hush at the time can be all you have to go on, and if my family alone knows of 4 there are probably a lot more.

e: new page, have a bizarre local Bish

I go to CMU and I have no idea :confused:

e2: oh it's this
http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/grade-point/wp/2015/02/18/oops-x-800-carnegie-mellon-tells-hundreds-of-applicants-theyre-in-by-mistake/
800 acceptance letters sent out and then retracted, oops :smith:

alnilam fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Feb 19, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

Does not a single cartoonist know what's going on in the middle east? Do they not know how these countries are dealing with ISIL? Are they all just so stupid and un(mis)informed?

I already know the answers to many of these questions, it's just starting to piss me off how everyone thinks nobody is doing anything about ISIL.

ubergnu
Jun 7, 2002

Failed gothic

fool_of_sound posted:

Nobody actually do this.

Sheesh, fine. Have it your way.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

alnilam posted:

From my own family alone, I know a few personal anecdotes of civil disobedience well into the war (not quite enough to get you killed), and at least two stories of German people opening their house to allied troops coming through and being all "oh thank god you're finally here, hitler bad," which they couldn't have safely voiced earlier because, well, purges. One of those people was even a guard at a POW camp.
Er, I'm not sure how to break this to you

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Bish's kerning still makes me irrationally angry.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Kegluneq posted:

Er, I'm not sure how to break this to you

A+++ post, very informative, would read again

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

This was the last conversation they shared before both he and Scruffy were devoured by the encroaching, all-consuming black mass.

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

You're related to soup, Admiral.

Xanderkish posted:

This was the last conversation they shared before both he and Scruffy were devoured by the encroaching, all-consuming black mass.

oh no

Ramirez, stop, this isn't even your cartoon

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Ralepozozaxe posted:

Does not a single cartoonist know what's going on in the middle east? Do they not know how these countries are dealing with ISIL? Are they all just so stupid and un(mis)informed?

I already know the answers to many of these questions, it's just starting to piss me off how everyone thinks nobody is doing anything about ISIL.
This is what he basically said in his little blurb about the comic
"Obama has been criticized for not being aggressive enough in fighting ISIS. I think he has just the right strategy. We can't continue to be the only ones stepping up. "

So yeah your point still stands, I think Rogers is just as tired as I am of hearing how Obama ain't doing as much even as we blow the poo poo out of ISIL

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

JaggerMcDagger posted:

Western "Experts"

It's a scary situation. And our media "experts" are scared!

Is that a loving piece of tape over the word "ISIS" in the first panel?

Reo
Apr 11, 2003

That'll do, Carlos.
That'll do.

A person cannot learn more than one thing

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Suitaru posted:

Is that a loving piece of tape over the word "ISIS" in the first panel?

Nice catch. Reverse google search netted me this. Dates back to Oct 2013.
Edit: And the date on the comic is 2001. Considering the lazy work this guy already does, seems like it would have been easier just to make a new comic instead of looking through a decade and a half's worth of comics.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Gin and Juche fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Feb 19, 2015

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

alnilam posted:

A+++ post, very informative, would read again

Sorry, I just had to check if there was a polite way to tell you those people were probably just telling the Allies what they wanted to hear and were Nazi sympathisers before that. (There isn't.)

So what does the mechanic do when his roof needs fixing? Pay the roofer by fixing his car or something?

To be fair, Tinsley is implying here that she could have trained to work in some very male-dominated fields, so he's clearly making an argument against forcing women into stereotypical feminine degree courseshahaha no of course not.

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

A relaxing walk in the woods
Grimey Drawer

Gravel Gravy posted:

Edit: And the date on the comic is 2001. Considering the lazy work this guy already does, seems like it would have been easier just to make a new comic instead of looking through a decade and a half's worth of comics.

Holy moly. I know I shouldn't be surprised, but this is Catalino/Gorrell levels of self-defeating laziness.

EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

I'm an excellent critic! I automatically know when someone's done a bad job. Before you ask, yes it's a mixed blessing.
Cybernetic Crumb

Hitler B. Natural posted:

Bob Lang thinks Williams was the tip of the iceberg. What about IRAQ and FALSE WAR REPORTING and, um, KATRINA ETC?

I'm surprised he didn't impale himself on his own lapels.

Always fun seeing right-wingers hold up Walter Cronkite as The Perfect Newsman, considering the right-wingers of Cronkite's day couldn't stand him.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Erenthal posted:

Holy moly. I know I shouldn't be surprised, but this is Catalino/Gorrell levels of self-defeating laziness.

Hating on Muslims. A message so nice why not say it twice?

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Gravel Gravy posted:

Ahaha, christ. Good find. Kirschen, you fucker.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Do Catalino/Gorrell and now Kirschen ever take a step back from hastily copied-over "artwork" and say, Wow, this looks really halfass, I should improve it or something so that people can't recognize what I did? Ever? Do they lack the capacity for shame?

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Kegluneq posted:

Sorry, I just had to check if there was a polite way to tell you those people were probably just telling the Allies what they wanted to hear and were Nazi sympathisers before that. (There isn't.)

Thanks for the deep insight. I didn't want to get into the specifics, but fine - they lived in Westphalia, where groups of people openly protested a lot of the really nasty Nazi policies in 1941 and were not put down because Hitler didn't want to risk open revolt during a 2-front war.
And one of them was stripped of his medical license and jailed for refusing to help the Nazis (signing bogus death warrants for political prisoners and "euthanized" people), so it's not like he just later told people "oh um uh i didn't like the nazis..."
And then two of these stories come not from german people after the fact, but from my american great-uncle who, after being captured, was helped to escape a POW camp and make it to the eastern front by several sympathetic germans. During the war. At great risk to themselves.

I'm well aware that general public support for Nazi policies was disturbingly high in Germany (until the war started to turn on them), but a few posters are acting like there was no dissent/disagreement whatsoever in Germany after the purges and that's a troubling way of thinking.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

alnilam posted:

Thanks for the deep insight. I didn't want to get into the specifics, but fine - they lived in Westphalia, where groups of people openly protested a lot of the really nasty Nazi policies in 1941 and were not put down because Hitler didn't want to risk open revolt during a 2-front war.
And one of them was stripped of his medical license and jailed for refusing to help the Nazis (signing bogus death warrants for political prisoners and "euthanized" people), so it's not like he just later told people "oh um uh i didn't like the nazis..."
And then two of these stories come not from german people after the fact, but from my american great-uncle who, after being captured, was helped to escape a POW camp and make it to the eastern front by several sympathetic germans. During the war. At great risk to themselves.

I'm well aware that general public support for Nazi policies was disturbingly high in Germany (until the war started to turn on them), but a few posters are acting like there was no dissent/disagreement whatsoever in Germany after the purges and that's a troubling way of thinking.
It would probably have helped your argument a lot if you had led with that, rather than 'these German people totally opposed Hitler because they told some Allied soldiers they did, even though one was an actual prison guard'.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Fair enough, i was just trying to find something more specific than "i... happen to know there was some dissent, it just didn't get talked about a lot" but less specific than "let me open right up with some family history!"

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

zoux posted:

Did you know that Dick Morris employs a cartoonist? He does!

Why is the soldier holding a...

A...

....the gently caress is that even supposed to be?

Rorus Raz posted:

Oh god, he's actually becoming Onion Joe
He always was. In our hearts.

This is pretty great. It's the shear level of overkill that does it for me.

InequalityGodzilla fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Feb 19, 2015

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Looks like Mike Rowe is guest writing Mallard Fillmore this week.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Because bombing the Middle East into glass and then jacking off over there for like 15 years really helped things

it really did, guys

Can't help but love that terrorist, though. :3:

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

even the shredder is on wheels

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

That's the first Glenn toon in some time that hasn't felt like he was phoning it in

Sandpuppy
Jun 16, 2012

Social Abscess
of the
Universe

Vogon Poet posted:

This is amazing, because Skye is not just getting a burn in on her sister; she's getting a burn in on Muir. The text of the first two dialogue bubbles is obviously from this page on about.com. Muir has previously done the exact same thing (minus the acknowledgment of what he was doing) in some of his strips involving auto repair, and he was mocked for it in this thread. Chris Muir... showing self-awareness? :aaaaa:

I'm kind of wondering if Muir had his 'John McCain on the stump' moment and finally got weirded out by his followers expressing so much rage over an imaginary character.

I think that's actually a bathroom plunger that the soldier managed to jam through a roll of toilet paper. He probably should have his arms tied before he gets his hands on a gun. Also, getting a serious Vacanti Mouse vibe from that Obama.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

SporkOfTruth posted:

Kurzweil is a raving fanatic who monetizes his idiotic "singularity" bleating by selling bullshit classes to equally insane rich, influential technoutopian wankers. Furthermore, his earlier predictions were either obvious to those skilled in the art at the time of the prediction or unfalsifiable bullshit that had as much rigor as a horoscope. He did some great signal processing work and that (along with working at MIT, a place born to cultivate off-the-rails technologists) made him think he had license to fantasize and futurise to all who would listen.

If you really respect a man whose beliefs include taking 150 supplements to make him transhuman or:

then I don't know what to tell you.

Sure, some of his predictions are trivial and some don't hold up to scientific rigor in that they are not meaningfully falsifiable. Doesn't mean that he's got a bad record on that front, they seem to be better than anyone else who I have come across. I agree that he has used somewhat slippery definitions after the fact to justify a couple of them as 'correct'. And I am forced to agree with the critics who say AI is probably much further away than Kurzweil predicts. Meanwhile I hope he's right about the medical stuff because I really would love to live indefinitely, and honestly modern developments do seem to be going so fast that it's not beyond what I can credibly believe, but I am a layperson so I can't really hold forth on the specifics.

None of that means the fundamental notion of a technological singularity is, in itself, unsound (Nor does any of it alone prove the reverse, either), and none of it means that the idea of what a Singularity is, whether it's to be awaited or avoided, and if it is desirable or inevitable, how we might harness it for the best ends are questions that should be ignored. Even if we take everything he says at face value there remain serious political and social questions about it so for those - like myself - who are of the opinion it is possible/likely/certain (I fall into the middle category myself) there's plenty of reason to discuss what it might entail and how it might be implemented. I don't view it as some sort of "nerd rapture", as the common criticism seems to be, and I see enormous perils alongside the enormous potential, but I have never understood why some people are so thoroughly angry about it all.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Mister Adequate posted:

but I have never understood why some people are so thoroughly angry about it all.

Because they believe it's either so far off, so far outside of our current experience, or really just not going to happen, that it really does amount to technologist fantasy bullshit. That pursuing it like some do squanders their not insignificant talent in the here and now.

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science
Was 9/11 to recent to use for your dumb metaphor? I'm assuming that a few people getting beheaded in the desert is supposed to be Pearl Harbor 2 in this instance.

She looks like a white Michelle Obama.

Ted Rall gets super pissed when people point out that he's being an offensive rear end in a top hat. Also, "Why you calling 'the prophet'?" indeed.

I'm guessing Horsey only heard Jeb's comments, not who he chose as his campaign advisers. I instantly read that "wouldn't be prudent" in Dana Carvey's Bush impression voice.

Dumb and so goddamned liberal. At least the patriot has his government mandated health coverage.

I like this one a lot.

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

D.N. Nation posted:

Do Catalino/Gorrell and now Kirschen ever take a step back from hastily copied-over "artwork" and say, Wow, this looks really halfass, I should improve it or something so that people can't recognize what I did? Ever? Do they lack the capacity for shame?

Haha, not a chance. If anything, they treat self-plagiarism (and especially straight-up reruns with the names filed off) as incredibly significant and proof that they have been right all their lives. It's a phenomenon akin to both "Any day now!!" and Chris Muir's "I changed half the words in the Preamble and now it's 2spooky".

Internet Webguy posted:

Was 9/11 to recent to use for your dumb metaphor? I'm assuming that a few people getting beheaded in the desert is supposed to be Pearl Harbor 2 in this instance.

groan

A HUNGRY MOUTH fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Feb 19, 2015

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Ahahaha yeah, the Tea party weren't the ones calling it free healthcare at all! No sir!

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Internet Webguy posted:

Don't you know that all wars in history are directly and easily comparable in scale, context, and even in specific acts of aggression?

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Branco, delightfully, continues to be just dumber than a sack of hammers.

I can allllways count on you, Branco.

EDIT\/\/\/

And you too, Lester! I love you all!

Monkey Fracas fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Feb 19, 2015

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Dogstoyevsky
Oct 9, 2012

If there is no Dog, everything is permitted

Internet Webguy posted:

Dumb and so goddamned liberal. At least the patriot has his government mandated health coverage.

Oh no, a $325 fine for not complying with a law, how completely unprecedented.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Why the gently caress is the Obama guy not wanting to get Obamacare?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Radish posted:

Why the gently caress is the Obama guy not wanting to get Obamacare?

Because Branco is really the stupidest cartoonist we post.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Because being attacked by official military forces of a country is exactly the same as being attacked by a terrorist group operating from within a country.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

They sure are salty about Obama doing a funny video. Can you imagine these guys sitting there and watching it and just getting madder and madder at seeing the president have fun. Just gritting their teeth harder with each passing second and veins standing out on their foreheads and purpling deeper and deeper because Obama is smiling.

• Locked thread