Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Rorus Raz posted:

That's the first Glenn toon in some time that hasn't felt like he was phoning it in
His effort paid off though because it made me genuinely angry for a moment.

Speaking of wilfully dense motherfuckers, when did Branco finally realise that drawing cartoons about how poo poo windfarms are and then slapping "Americans for honking great oil profits" on the corner looked a bit fishy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Obama knows Iran's nuclear "bomb" is actually a hoax/decoy/hollow and can continue participating in parody videos. A surprising cartoon.

Hip-Hoptimus Rhyme
Mar 19, 2009

Gods don't make mistakes

Internet Webguy posted:

Dumb and so goddamned liberal. At least the patriot has his government mandated health coverage.

Who's complaining about this? Why not just have the tea party guy complain about paying taxes since he didn't get forced government healthcare?

I kid, Branco's just an angry rear end in a top hat

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Wouldn't the GAY HIPPY LIBRUL probably have participated in obamacare? He wouldn't have to pay the fine because he's destroying the fabric of america with his homosexual values and Obama islamosubsidized that

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Pilchenstein posted:

Speaking of wilfully dense motherfuckers, when did Branco finally realise that drawing cartoons about how poo poo windfarms are and then slapping "Americans for honking great oil profits" on the corner looked a bit fishy?

Probably never, he just hasn't done one of those for a while. Anyway, the irony is probably lost on most of his audience because "American Energy Alliance" sounds like it could be non-oil-related, just a general "we care about energy in america" group.
Whereas ITT we know it's an oil interest group because we have a disturbingly strong knowledge of his work :negative:
Even if a reader did know the AEA was an oil interest group, they might say "well yeah, he's a member because he clearly cares about 'sensible' energy policy!"

On the other hand, there is no excusing his "Americans for Limited Government" watermark on a comic about supporting police powers / going to war/ supporting torture programs / increasing border security / growing the military. That one will never cease to amaze me.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

Internet Webguy posted:

She looks like a white Michelle Obama.

Biden's forehead has a nice rack.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Hip-Hoptimus Rhyme posted:

Who's complaining about this? Why not just have the tea party guy complain about paying taxes since he didn't get forced government healthcare?

I kid, Branco's just an angry rear end in a top hat

Most likely, the conservative media sphere is acting SHOCKED about the $325 penalty, and being all smug like "those liberals who supported this are probably eating their feet right about now, should have listened to us when they had the chance." And Branco assumes it must be true, the liberals are surely so shocked about getting bitten in the rear end by this!

Meanwhile the liberal scum actually got healthcare and aren't paying the fine at all, and the person paying the fine is tea party guy who refused to get coverage because he was too busy being furious about it.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Stultus Maximus posted:

Because Branco is really the stupidest cartoonist we post.

He may be stupid, but he's not "I don't know how to mail a letter" stupid.

SporkOfTruth
Sep 1, 2006

this kid walked up to me and was like man schmitty your stache is ghetto and I was like whatever man your 3b look like a dishrag.

he was like damn.

Plague of Hats posted:

Because they believe it's either so far off, so far outside of our current experience, or really just not going to happen, that it really does amount to technologist fantasy bullshit. That pursuing it like some do squanders their not insignificant talent in the here and now.

Bingo, plus it has the added "benefit" of coloring the average person's already tenuous understanding of science and engineering with unrealistic expectations (which lead to backlashes, etc.).

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

duz posted:

He may be stupid, but he's not "I don't know how to mail a letter" stupid.

I keep forgetting Rob Smith Jr because I want to believe no one is that spectacularly dumb and he's just a deep cover troll against Glenn Beck fans but I know deep down that he's real

CaptainCarrot
Jun 9, 2010

alnilam posted:

Probably never, he just hasn't done one of those for a while. Anyway, the irony is probably lost on most of his audience because "American Energy Alliance" sounds like it could be non-oil-related, just a general "we care about energy in america" group.
Whereas ITT we know it's an oil interest group because we have a disturbingly strong knowledge of his work :negative:
Ehh. The first time I saw a Branco, I knew American Energy Alliance was doublespeak for "Drill Here Drill Now Oil Oil Everywhere" because a group dedicated to renewable energy wouldn't be named so vaguely. Also the cartoon was directly copied GOP talking points.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

alnilam posted:

Meanwhile the liberal scum actually got healthcare and aren't paying the fine at all, and the person paying the fine is tea party guy who refused to get coverage because he was too busy being furious about it.

That's probably a really small percentage of tea party guys. Larger groups are (A) the ones who have insurance through their employer and never should've cared in the first place and (B) the people who did sign up in an exchange but are too stupid to realize that they are "on Obamacare". The latter is about 70% of the population of Kentucky, as is my understanding.

e: I am really mystified by Branco's success as a cartoonist. What is it about his cartoons that just seems "off"? He's a terrible, terrible artist. Gary McCoy's art looks more professional than Branco's. Like, his poo poo really looks like KIDDY KORNER KARTOONS but somehow he's taken seriously by lots and lots of people and gets lobbying firms to pay him for his amateur bullshit?

Mellow Seas fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Feb 19, 2015

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

You're telling me that Obamacare isn't a specific health plan I can get was mandated to get :confused::confused::confused:

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Does anyone remember a cartoon with an elephant with a shield that said something like "AMERICAN VALUES" and Obama was shooting a bunch of arrows that said "BENGHAZI" and "IRS SCANDAL"? Google isn't being very helpful.

Edit: that's it! Thank you both. It's even more glorious than I remember !

Your Gay Uncle fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Feb 19, 2015

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Does anyone remember a cartoon with an elephant with a shield that said something like "AMERICAN VALUES" and Obama was shooting a bunch of arrows that said "BENGHAZI" and "IRS SCANDAL"? Google isn't being very helpful.

I remember that one being a Branco, if that helps.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Are you referring to this one?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

This is still the best cartoon these threads have ever seen

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

I just noticed that not only is the NSA listed twice, but so is the FCC.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!
What was that great joke someone made the first time that was posted - "then we will fillibuster in the shade"?

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Garrand posted:

republicans, well known opponents of the nsa

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

corn in the bible posted:

republicans, well known opponents of the nsa

The Tea Party assures you that they were just as vocal opponents of the NSA under Bush as they are under Obama, honest. And since they didn't actually exist in any real sense at the time you'll just have to take their word for it.

(Branco is very conscientious about labeling his elephants GOP EST whenever he criticizes them so everyone knows he is not impugning the honor of the noble Tea Party)

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

I'm trying to read this, but my eyes keep slipping off the text boxes.

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

It is really hard to tell how much of Branco's cartoons are his own opinions. I find it hard to believe he has such specific personal opinions that his cartoons sponsored by Energy companies happen to show. Not that that is really any better.

Not My Leg
Nov 6, 2002

AYN RAND AKBAR!

Stultus Maximus posted:

Because Branco is really the stupidest cartoonist we post.

:colbert:

E: drat it!

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Not My Leg posted:

:colbert:

E: drat it!

To this day I don't know what the message is supposed to be.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Fulchrum posted:

Is this the part where you try to claim the Red Orchstra, the White Rose, the Kreisau Circle, the Saefkow-Jacob-Bästlein Organization, the European Union, and the Bästlein-Jacob-Abshagen Group didn't exist? Or were they somehow opportunistic and only in it for themselves, so they're not real rebels? Or is it that cause they didn't manage to singlehandedly overthrow the Nazis they clearly weren't trying hard enough and were worthless?

You really are comitted to the idea that there was no significant German resistance, aren't you?
How about instead of rattling off a list of groups you found by searching site:wikipedia.org german resistance, you name some of the detrimental effects native German resistance had on the Nazi war effort? I do not deny that there were definitely people and even groups that bravely resisted the Nazi regime but they were by far an extreme minority and their impact on Nazi Germany as a whole is being incredibly vastly overstated by you. You claimed that, as opposed to Japan, Germany had "significant" resistance movements during the war. You still haven't named any.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

loquacius posted:

The Tea Party assures you that they were just as vocal opponents of the NSA under Bush as they are under Obama, honest. And since they didn't actually exist in any real sense at the time you'll just have to take their word for it.

(Branco is very conscientious about labeling his elephants GOP EST whenever he criticizes them so everyone knows he is not impugning the honor of the noble Tea Party)

The tea partiers existed, they were just known as Neocons, aka Republicans crazier than Bush. They just didn't band together till a black manObama entered the Oval Office.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Guys, isn't there a better thread for this? If not, can't you make one and take it there?

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Garrand posted:

To this day I don't know what the message is supposed to be.

It's supposed to be a rebuttal to the idea that after the Obamacare rollout people were quitting their lovely jobs because they no longer needed them for healthcare. Which is laughable because everyone's job is perfect and fulfilling and has benefits out the wazoo and pays tons of money so why would they do that? :rolleyes:

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Garrand posted:

I don't remember if this was bought up when it was new, but what loving oath is he talking about?

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

T-man posted:

I don't remember if this was bought up when it was new, but what loving oath is he talking about?

You know, the oath you take when you join the Republican party.

A behind the scenes look at the initiation:

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

seiferguy posted:

You know, the oath you take when you join the Republican party.

A behind the scenes look at the initiation:

That's just freshman hazing, this is the true initiation:

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

alnilam posted:

dees was right

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Garrand posted:

Agenda 21!

AF Branco: Why yes! I am a crank!

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

loquacius posted:

It's supposed to be a rebuttal to the idea that after the Obamacare rollout people were quitting their lovely jobs because they no longer needed them for healthcare. Which is laughable because everyone's job is perfect and fulfilling and has benefits out the wazoo and pays tons of money so why would they do that? :rolleyes:

"Oh like someone would quit their million dollar a year job with paid vacation just because of Obamacare!!"
*stunned silence*
"Looks like I win! Zoom zoom zoom!!"

This makes me curious as to what bennies and salary Jr gets

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

alnilam posted:

Everything else I think I understand (which worries me), but what is Terminator Skeletor doing there? :stare:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

A chance for a better life? DON'T DO IT IT'S A TRAP, said the middle class white person who makes a living literally drawing cartoons.

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer
I wanna know about the significance of everyone else at the table smiling with maniacal glee, but obama and bernanke are looking on with stoic resignation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

T-man posted:

The US Armed Forces Oath of Enlistment is what it sounds like

quote:

"I, (state name of enlistee), do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. So help me God."

• Locked thread