Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Real Name Grover posted:

This is probably a far-too-simple way of looking at it and doesn't take ad revenue into account, but Qatar is eight hours ahead of the East Coast in November/December. The only overlap with the NFL would be a cup match that begins at, say, 8 p.m./20:00 (most NFL games start at 1 p.m. ET on Sundays, and the Thursday/Monday night games won't be played at the same time as any WC match). I imagine Fox would use its Fox Sports 1 channel to air those anyway (the final, however ... well, we'll see). Never mind that this is more than seven years away and the network will evolve in any number of ways by then.

And also, what's messier for FIFA: dealing with a potential lawsuit from Fox/Telemundo or pulling out of Qatar? Math isn't difficult there.

Nobody said that this would be the silver bullet that stops Qatar. It is more that with every new story about the countries/organizations that support the World Cup growing dissatisfied with what is going on, the more likely that FIFA will decide that this entire mess is just not worth dealing with anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Don't get me wrong; I really do hope that this poo poo gets fixed, but at the same time I think with regard to the "but Euro club seasons!" and "but the NFL!" ... c'mon, they'll sort that poo poo out.

Real Name Grover fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Feb 19, 2015

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

This is just anecdotal but I knew a lot of NFL fans who watched the world cup last summer. They weren't super into it, but it's a curiosity thing and a lot of people like to turn the tv to whatever sport is currently happening and just leave it there.

but yes I doubt fifa would be bothered by Fox's bitching about it.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
TV rights to air the World Cup in the US in summer, when it is pretty much the only thing going on, and thus attracts a wide audience who have nothing better to do, is what Fox paid for. The TV rights would have sold for a lot less if networks knew they were bidding for a Nov-Dec event which has to compete with other sports, cultural and religious holidays, school exams in most of the world etc. It is not just Fox and Telemundo that have a case. Broadcasters across the globe can make a case that they paid for a Jun-Jul event, and that the winter event they are now getting is worth considerably less.

It is unlikely that the World Cup gets moved out of Qatar, but there could be severe financial repercussions for FIFA.

Barvo
Feb 19, 2008

by Ralp

stickyfngrdboy posted:

But yeah an American television company's advertising revenue is definitely going to be the reason the world cup won't be held in winter in Qatar.

bitch it might be

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?
Or FIFA could just say "tough titties, Sue us" and who's to say without seeing the contracts if there would even be be a case to answer. There's every chance the bidding process didn't specify dates beyond the year itself.

Edit: the big European leagues dissenting would be far more likely to gently caress fifa over. They actually have a chance of winning.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

TyrantWD posted:

there could be severe financial repercussions for FIFA.

Lol yeah

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

Fox and Telemundo paid $1.2bn for the next two World Cups. There is no way they are going to let something like this slide, when they have that kind of money invested. FIFA may have already "compensated" the networks through the no bid extension of TV rights for 2026, but that would have already cost them ~500m+ in US TV rights alone.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

TyrantWD posted:

Fox and Telemundo paid $1.2bn for the next two World Cups. There is no way they are going to let something like this slide, when they have that kind of money invested. FIFA may have already "compensated" the networks through the no bid extension of TV rights for 2026, but that would have already cost them ~500m+ in US TV rights alone.

Listen I'm all for everyone taking Fifa money away from Fifa, preferably straight out if blatters personal account, but this scenario won't lead to that conclusion. There is no way Fifa made 'it will be in the summer' a part of any contract anywhere when they knew from day one that was impossible.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

TyrantWD posted:

$1.2bn is not enough to dent FIFA.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

stickyfngrdboy posted:

Listen I'm all for everyone taking Fifa money away from Fifa, preferably straight out if blatters personal account, but this scenario won't lead to that conclusion. There is no way Fifa made 'it will be in the summer' a part of any contract anywhere when they knew from day one that was impossible.

Unless otherwise specified that the 2022 World Cup was going to be in winter at the time the rights were sold, you would still have a case against FIFA. This appears to be a moot point anyway as FIFA have essentially "settled" by handing out no-bid extensions for 2026.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

Masonity posted:

There's every chance the bidding process didn't specify dates beyond the year itself.

No chance

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Figo's unveiled his election strategy: Let's have a world cup with 48 teams!

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

greazeball posted:

Figo's unveiled his election strategy: Let's have a world cup with 48 teams!

He wants to hold two simultaneous 24-team group stages on two different continents, and then have everybody meet in a third country to play the knockout stages.

What the actual gently caress. :barf:

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

vyelkin posted:

He wants to hold two simultaneous 24-team group stages on two different continents, and then have everybody meet in a third country to play the knockout stages.

He claims this will be possible with only an extra 3/4 days. Utter madness.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

All the europeans know is graft and corruption, thats why FIFA should be taken over by an Anglo country because otherwise its just fraud and waste.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

vyelkin posted:

It's not gonna happen, he's just saying that to rope in the votes of smaller non-UEFA countries that might otherwise be in Blatter's camp.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

African AIDS cum posted:

All the europeans know is graft and corruption, thats why FIFA should be taken over by an Anglo country because otherwise its just fraud and waste.

Preferably with IMF oversight, investment banking support, and a Fitch rating. Also let me tell you about our new line of securitized products, ranging from company scrip housing MBS, to lucrative shorts on potential host countries' medium term bonds.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Spangly A posted:

$1.2bn is not enough to dent FIFA.

Isn't that most of their cash reserves? I mean not that it would happen but it would be ruinous for FIFA

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Koesj posted:

Preferably with IMF oversight, investment banking support, and a Fitch rating. Also let me tell you about our new line of securitized products, ranging from company scrip housing MBS, to lucrative shorts on potential host countries' medium term bonds.

Hmm I'm detecting some anti semitism here wow

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Jose posted:

Isn't that most of their cash reserves? I mean not that it would happen but it would be ruinous for FIFA

They made a fuckload more than that from Brazil, has anyone got the numbers?

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Jose posted:

Fifa have reserves of about 1.4bn American dollars, but it's not like they will have to payback the entire amounts of the TV rights. I mean we for a start have no idea how the payments are structured

http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSBREA2K1GO20140321?irpc=932

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
Doha (AFP) – The Chairman of Qatar's National Human Rights Committee (NHRC) on Monday denied claims by the Guardian newspaper that jews are a people and Israel exists.

JorahTheExplorer
Oct 23, 2013

You aren't my Alves, Afonso Alves,
you make me sa-aad when sky's are blue,
and Georgie Best, cost fucking less,
so please take my Alves away.
Just loving hold the world cup in england france germany italy and spain and loving leave it ffs

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Koesj posted:

Doha (AFP) – The Chairman of Qatar's National Human Rights Committee (NHRC) on Monday denied claims by the Guardian newspaper that jews are a people and Israel exists.

lol its going to be great when Israel qualify

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Actually having qualified for a World Cup should be a requirement for hosting.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I'm surprised China haven't had one yet but I suppose they'll throw all the money at it next time

JorahTheExplorer
Oct 23, 2013

cue teams strangely throwing games vs qatar

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Its all paving the way for proper football, played with helmets and pads and massive men to become the global sport, its already happening

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Jose posted:

I'm surprised China haven't had one yet but I suppose they'll throw all the money at it next time

They dont really like football tbh.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
I, for one, can't wait for Israel to qualify for the 2020 UEFA Greater Co-Prosperity Sphere Championship where they'll play their matches in Paris, Copenhagen, and Munich.

JorahTheExplorer
Oct 23, 2013

where is american futbol being played other than ameirca?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

serious gaylord posted:

They dont really like football tbh.

Its got nothing to do with football and all about pretending your country isn't a dictatorship. Look at Equatorial Guinea getting the ACN

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Jose posted:

I suspect they're waiting until they can get their national team into a somewhat respectable state and regularly qualify.

Unlike Qatar there would be significant local pushback if they just started handing out citizenship for sport purposes.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

JorahTheExplorer posted:

where is american futbol being played other than ameirca?

Anywhere men have normal testosterone levels, and Japan as well.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
Plucky Equatorial Guinea withstood the predations of Mark Thatcher and Jeffrey Archer and very much deserved to host yet another Africa Cup of Nations tyvm

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

First they came for our Akinfenwas.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

African AIDS cum posted:

Anywhere men have normal testosterone levels, and Japan as well.

RIP NFL Europe

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Koesj posted:

Plucky Equatorial Guinea withstood the predations of Mark Thatcher and Jeffrey Archer and very much deserved to host yet another Africa Cup of Nations tyvm

lol that was equatorial guinea? i had no idea. no wonder they failed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
A country so powerful it could hold off a plane full of South African mercenaries. Your turn, Qatar.