Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

DoctorTristan posted:

Yes, but doing it like this also creates its own special hype. They wouldn't have got anywhere near that volume of orders if they'd simply launched he product on the Oatmeal store page.

For me this is the disingenuous part of it. Kickstarter is supposed to kickstart projects (duh) and it's not like the Oatmeal guy couldn't afford to print the first batch, sell it in two days and print more. Ultimately, his project diverted money from lesser projects that actually needed funds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Paladinus posted:

Ultimately, his project diverted money from lesser projects that actually needed funds.

Or from completely unrelated purchases which didn't need funds. The $20 or whatever someone spent on exploding kittens might just have easily have been used on team fortress 2 cash shop items or mountain dew or furry dog dick commissions as on some worthy art project or struggling indy game.

I've no interest in the dumb card game, I haven't pledged and I don't know anything about the Oatmeal, but it's a silly blanket claim unless you have data to back it up, you could just as easily argue that it drove traffic to the kickstarter website from people who wouldn't usually go there and a portion of those people stayed to browse and backed MORE projects. Without some hard numbers and proper statistics, you can make a case for either scenario and everything in between.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

They'll probably do a breakdown post on this when the numbers are in, but the kickstarter blog did a post on the potato salad stats a few months ago. Here.

The main take away is nearly 3/4 of the backers had already backed other projects.

quote:

Most of the project's backers were not new to Kickstarter: 72% were repeat backers. In fact, even when you include the newcomers, potato salad backers have backed an average of 15 projects on Kickstarter! So while this was a global joke on the Internet, backing the project became an inside joke among core Kickstarter fans.

It's a similar story with people who backed the coolest cooler, that wasn't the only thing people backed.

So basically people who back the larger campaigns have backed and will back other projects.

Mercury Hat has a new favorite as of 13:58 on Feb 20, 2015

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Shadoer posted:

My god, I need to find something to make a kickstarter about like asap.

Exploding Kittens made so much money because of the existing popularity of the Oatmeal, not because of anything to do with the concept. A hundred nearly identical concepts come and go every day, and they fail because they lack the backing of a comic that gets over 4 million unique visitors a month with an annual revenue of $500,000 as of 2012. If you were to have made the exact same concept yourself, you'd have gotten five bucks.

quote:

Ultimately, his project diverted money from lesser projects that actually needed funds.

Crowdfunding is not a zero sum game. Even if it was, Exploding Kittens would have been diverting money from a bunch of completely useless products, lovely amateur game projects that will never go anywhere even if they get their funding, and outright scams.

It seems like the anger being given toward Exploding Kittens has less to do with its merits as a game and more out of a bunch of jealous goons who wish that they had been clever enough to live off of the popularity of their dirty humor comic.

chitoryu12 has a new favorite as of 14:32 on Feb 20, 2015

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

chitoryu12 posted:

Crowdfunding is not a zero sum game. Even if it was, Exploding Kittens would have been diverting money from a bunch of completely useless products, lovely amateur game projects that will never go anywhere even if they get their funding, and outright scams.

It seems like the anger being given toward Exploding Kittens has less to do with its merits as a game and more out of a bunch of jealous goons who wish that they had been clever enough to live off of the popularity of their dirty humor comic.

The criticism stems from the fact that it's a lovely game with zero strategy to it, the art is atrocious, and the humour is of a stale monkey cheese variety. Everything else is only the reason it received so much money. Have this game been submitted by some rando, I'm sure it would have been criticised just as much, if not more.

And yes, I suppose I'll have to retract my comment about diverting money from other projects, as all kickstarter projects are equally bad or worse. :v:
However, I still stand by my broader sentiment that kickstarting a project that doesn't need a kickstart is not right.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Paladinus posted:

For me this is the disingenuous part of it. Kickstarter is supposed to kickstart projects (duh) and it's not like the Oatmeal guy couldn't afford to print the first batch, sell it in two days and print more. Ultimately, his project diverted money from lesser projects that actually needed funds.

There are very, very few important Kickstarters. Those "lesser projects" not getting funding is not tragedy

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

chitoryu12 posted:

The anger is from jealous people yes.

The criticisms are because the KS itself says the prototype of the game sucked. I doubt adding more funny pics to a lovely game will change anything. I have no problem with people buying a set of Oatmeal illustrations. But if they claim the game looks fun, they are simply trying to rationalize their purchase. The fact is the game will never be fun since the prototype was already boring.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

chitoryu12 posted:

Crowdfunding is not a zero sum game. Even if it was...

Frankly, kickstarter says that once someone backs something on kickstarter, they often come back to back something else later, because they already have account/payment set up and then it's a one click thing. I'm fairly sure a hefty chunk of the 200k kitten backers are new accounts.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Paladinus posted:

And yes, I suppose I'll have to retract my comment about diverting money from other projects, as all kickstarter projects are equally bad or worse. :v:
However, I still stand by my broader sentiment that kickstarting a project that doesn't need a kickstart is not right.

Actually, it's about ethic in board game kickstarting

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Paladinus posted:

No it didn't. The people who backed that weren't like "ooh, should I give my $20 Kickstarter budget to this card game or a library in Africa," they just saw a dumb thing they liked and paid money for it.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

TetsuoTW posted:

No it didn't. The people who backed that weren't like "ooh, should I give my $20 Kickstarter budget to this card game or a library in Africa," they just saw a dumb thing they liked and paid money for it.

I was thinking more like 'should I give $20 bucks to this super popular dumb card game kickstarter that doesn't need money to produce the game, or to this different dumb card game kickstarter that actually needs money'. But then I realised that 'this different dumb card game kickstarter' is probably about anime nazis and admitted my mistake.

Truga posted:

Frankly, kickstarter says that once someone backs something on kickstarter, they often come back to back something else later, because they already have account/payment set up and then it's a one click thing. I'm fairly sure a hefty chunk of the 200k kitten backers are new accounts.
People who created accounts specifically to buy Exploding Kittens will most likely never donate money to a worthwile project.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Paladinus posted:

People who created accounts specifically to buy Exploding Kittens will most likely never donate money to a worthwile project.
There are almost no worthwhile projects, so this is true.

(reading rainbow was pretty cool)

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Paladinus posted:

Prove it.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
Also aren't a bunch of them just $1 people being drawn in by the other clowns, trying to get the backer "achievements"?

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

Cheez posted:

Also aren't a bunch of them just $1 people being drawn in by the other clowns, trying to get the backer "achievements"?

All but 738 backers [out of 219,382] pledged at least $20.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

I'm not sure I get the point of this one. Literally everything they show in the "what can I do with this" is stuff that can be done using a regular Raspberry Pi, not even needing the compute module development kit version.

I think they don't understand the use case for the development kit.

Integrated bluetooth and IR, no ethernet capability, just use up one of the two usb ports on the thing for wifi, and the other for your wireless keyboard. None of the GPIO pins that any of the Pi family setups have for learning electronics or developing electronic devices. $85 for the basic starter kit - their board, the actual compute module, and a wifi dongle. You could just spend $35 on the Pi 2 model b, and you'll come out with more usb ports and the GPIO pins to mess around with, the ports for the Raspberry Pi camera and touch screen, if those are things you want to use, microSD so you could have more than just the 4 GB embedded storage on the compute module for space, if you /really/ have to have wifi and bluetooth, you can get 2 usb dongles and still have two more usb ports.

If I'm mistaken, please tell me about the use case where an OpenPi is any more useful than just getting a Pi 2.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

taiyoko posted:

I'm not sure I get the point of this one. Literally everything they show in the "what can I do with this" is stuff that can be done using a regular Raspberry Pi, not even needing the compute module development kit version.

I guess the main thing is just that it's tiny, I don't know. I guess it's got all the inputs if you really need that on one board?

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*
For anyone who thought I didn't come through for you guys. I don't even know where to start with this dude, but let's just say he didn't stop there.

quote:

I decided to try Patreon because I have a really hard time finding a job that I enjoy. At November last year, while working as a warehouse operative, I decided to make one of my childhood dreams - creating music - come true. Since then, every day after work I've been learning composing music from scratch. It was hard work, especially since I didn't have any teacher, but it also gave me a lot of joy. A year later I finished my first EP (Extended Play) album and published it for free on 18.10.2014. I really hope that you will enjoy it. I do not follow any specific genre as I compose, just like when I draw (I've got B.A in Arts). First I do a draft and then I start adding details that work with it.

quote:

New VSTi
$750 per month
Reaching this milestone will allow me to buy one new Virtual Instrument or Plugin every month (I have a long list of those Addictive Drums 2, Miroslav Philharmonic etc).
Miroslav is loving garbage, for thoughs who don't know

No, I'm afraid he didn't stop there either. He's so convinced he's the hottest new kid in town he even started a goddamn forum about himself.

So what's all the fuss about?

A rank amateur plonking away in FL studio with harmor presets and making unfitting "classical" covers of videogame music. :cripes:

edit:

Dear god and he wants you to spend at least 4 dollars on basically unmixed albums that use motherfucking FL Slayer.

Noyemi K has a new favorite as of 21:18 on Feb 20, 2015

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

It's funny, I tried making music that didn't suck rear end in FL using Slayer, until I found out it was virtually impossible and anything you did with a real guitar would be 1000x better, even if you're poo poo at guitar.

edit: for anyone else who doesn't want to trawl through the poo poo, the song that uses the awesome 'guitar' is Beheil Workshop.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

It wouldn't be quite as bad if he didn't use the same presets every other song but that's exactly what he's doing. He loads up harmless and turns on the chorus and reverb without even changing waveforms or anything, and will make an entire song with that one instrument. Maybe drumaxx tossed in for some flavour.

I listened to the whole album and I'm on the first now and my ears are getting extremely fatigued.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
When I was 16 I used to make lovely symphonic 'arrangements' of heavy metal ballads. Changed time signatures and tempo here and there, substituted guitars with violins, bass with contrabass, vocals with brass section, maaaaybe added some string section parts that copied the original melody with minor alterations and put free vsts on top of that. I then uploaded that stuff to one of countless heavy metal forums and other teenagers praised me for it. I don't think they would have given me any money, though.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
The secret isn't to sell them your music, the secret is to turn your music & entire life into an elaborate pantomime where you're not just a dude who makes music but a vibrating energy portal to a world where all everyone does is smoke blunts in a DeLorean while cruising down an infinitely long beach highway during a neon sunset. You can't just be a musician anymore, you've got to be a brand ecosystem.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

This guy is so offensively bad and amateurish I can practically identify these presets he uses by name.

In Null, Open The Door uses loving "Industrial ToTC" from Toxic Biohazard, basically the Papyrus of audio almost.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

I played around with Fruityloops when I was a teen and what I made was complete crap, and even I had like ten times as many layers and voices as this guy has going on. COMEON. Its so :effort:

And he wants money.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

I wonder if this kid's thick enough enough to think that this will get him enough limelight so that Jeb actually hires him as a staffer or gifts him some cushy job if he were to somehow get elected.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
It's definitely the "3 Stooges Syndrome" of neocon greed & fuckery, that's for certain.

Doc even LOOKS like Jeb.

RattiRatto
Jun 26, 2014

:gary: :I'd like to borrow $200M
:whatfor:
:gary: :To make vidya game
This is probably one of the most hilarious SA threads

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Noyemi K posted:

For anyone who thought I didn't come through for you guys. I don't even know where to start with this dude, but let's just say he didn't stop there.

Miroslav is loving garbage, for thoughs who don't know

No, I'm afraid he didn't stop there either. He's so convinced he's the hottest new kid in town he even started a goddamn forum about himself.

A rank amateur plonking away in FL studio with harmor presets and making unfitting "classical" covers of videogame music. :cripes:

edit:

Dear god and he wants you to spend at least 4 dollars on basically unmixed albums that use motherfucking FL Slayer.

Gorillas in my Closet is almost entirely, if not just entirely, a drum track copied and pasted into a melodic channel. Wowsers.

SineRider
Oct 10, 2012

Come on die young

Noyemi K posted:

edit:

I've heard some awful midi rips before, but man these are bad

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME
Did anyone notice he has a patreon set up?

He's self-thaught!

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

There's a post where he explains he has 100 WIPs at any given time and rotates between all of them so he can be "efficient" or something and get the work done faster or whatever.

I think what he actually does is place random notes until the song is long enough in his mind, and then hits that "export" button. Oh, and in case you thought it couldn't get any worse, his albums do that annoying poo poo where if you stream a song X number of times, it'll beg you to buy it every time thereafter.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

chitoryu12 posted:

Exploding Kittens made so much money because of the existing popularity of the Oatmeal, not because of anything to do with the concept. A hundred nearly identical concepts come and go every day, and they fail because they lack the backing of a comic that gets over 4 million unique visitors a month with an annual revenue of $500,000 as of 2012. If you were to have made the exact same concept yourself, you'd have gotten five bucks.

This is it. Massively successful kickstarters all build upon existing brands and fan bases. It is a way to activate a fan base into customers and advocates, and no "kick starter isn't meant for this" sentiment is ever going to change the fact that Kick starter always yields better returns for established brands and personas.

Its good to see a sudden success crop up, but usually they've been doing the hard yards building up a small fan base too, its just that you hadn't heard of them. Exploding Kittens is just a combination of a massive initial fan base, a super safe product (really there's no risk at all that people won't get what they ordered in the end of the day), and a well concerted effort to keep rolling the marketing during the funding window.

There is really nothing stopping smaller projects replicating this at a smaller scale if they generate the fan base to support it, but of course that's no easy task unless you have existing products out there.

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.
Has the Ullillillia thread come back yet? If not, this should probably go here.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Noyemi K posted:

There's a post where he explains he has 100 WIPs at any given time and rotates between all of them so he can be "efficient" or something and get the work done faster or whatever.

I think what he actually does is place random notes until the song is long enough in his mind, and then hits that "export" button. Oh, and in case you thought it couldn't get any worse, his albums do that annoying poo poo where if you stream a song X number of times, it'll beg you to buy it every time thereafter.

I already miss MASTER PISCES! OCEAN FISH! HERE WE GO!

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Jesus Christ I was just listening to Brent Kennedy stuff and St. Anne: Piano Version gave my ears whiplash.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

dijon du jour posted:

Jesus Christ I was just listening to Brent Kennedy stuff and St. Anne: Piano Version gave my ears whiplash.

Probably because Brent Kennedy has actual talent and understands how to tailor the arrangement to the strengths of the instrument he's using.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

The problem with the St Anne piano version besides it just being a boring note-for-note copy of the original arrangement is the lack of any kind of humanization; it's quantized as gently caress with no chords and every keyon has the same velocity, so there's no dynamics at all.
It's like he's never touched a piano in his life and has not even a remote idea of how it works. Same goes for his "classical" covers.

Btw the reason they're all orchestral covers is probably because he took the MIDI off VGMusic or whatever the site is called and assigned all the MIDI channels to some slightly different instruments or used a different soundfont. And he doesn't really have the sonic creativity to use a synth for that purpose, so... yeah.

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.
Why are people willing to give so much money for dorky watches

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Ron Paul Atreides posted:

Why are people willing to give so much money for dorky watches
As someone who fell for the Pebble the first time, I find it hilarious that people are still dumb enough to give them money for another watch after their first one shipped almost a year late without half of the features they showed in the pitch video.

Actually, I wonder if they've finally managed to ship the first watches to Germany yet.

fe: Hahahahaha gently caress me there are still people saying they haven't received their Pebble from the original Kickstarter from 2012.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

TetsuoTW posted:

As someone who fell for the Pebble the first time, I find it hilarious that people are still dumb enough to give them money for another watch after their first one shipped almost a year late without half of the features they showed in the pitch video.

Actually, I wonder if they've finally managed to ship the first watches to Germany yet.

fe: Hahahahaha gently caress me there are still people saying they haven't received their Pebble from the original Kickstarter from 2012.

If I remember right the OUYA kickstarter still hasn't shipped out to all of the original backers either.