Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Avian Pneumonia posted:

Also: Are things like refresh rates really relevant to anyone but the most competitive of FPS gamers?

Yes, extremely.

Little more detail ...

Movies
Movies run at 24 fps. 60Hz is not evenly divisible by 24. This causes motion judder, which can be very noticeable for some people. 120Hz or 144Hz are both evenly divisible by 24, so no judder.

Games
Even putting aside "hardcore" stuff like Input Lag and Response Time, the jump between 60 -> 120Hz is still very noticeable. Games will look dramatically smoother and nicer. Of course, you need a decent video card to support that, but it doesn't hurt to have the option available to you, especially if you plan to keep the monitor for a long time.

General Purpose
The most obvious thing you will see a difference with when stepping up past 60Hz is that doing anything on your desktop feels way smoother. The mouse cursor, in particular, moves dramatically smoother and feels more responsive. Is that important to you? Might be if you do a lot of work on your PC, but you might also not really care that much. Personally for me, it's one of those things where once I started using 120Hz it became very painfully obvious how choppy and nasty working at 60Hz was.

Gwyrgyn Blood fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Feb 19, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Avian Pneumonia posted:

Any recommendations for a 30-ish inch monitor for under $1700?
General use/movies/casual gaming.

I prefer small bezels and don't really need any extras or options on it.
I'm looking at the dell U3014.

I have a U3014 and I don't think I'd get it again vs the other options out there now, like the LG or Dell Ultrawides (Dell U3415 I think). The main reason is that the 3014 has severe panel overdrive issues, in an effort to get faster pixel response times. You can really see it while doing stuff like slowly scrolling down, say, a page of forums with dark text on a light background, or in a game like War Thunder with dark player names against a bright sky- The pixels involved in the motion will overshoot the dark-light or light-dark transition making for odd trailing effect.

It's only really visible on large changes, not in most games or any movies really, and I don't even notice it anymore since I've had the thing for over a year, but when you first see it, it is really jarring.
Other than that, it is a really nice screen, and the anti-glare coating in particular is far better than some of Dell's earlier panels, like the 2412 or 3008 WFP.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

LoseHound posted:

Is there such a thing as a ~$150 1080p monitor decent for gaming? With speakers preferably, because I only ever use headphones and I don't want to get actual speakers.

You can probably get a cheap Asus TN monitor at that budget. Keep an eye out on Newegg for deals. They're not fantastic, but they're good enough.

LoseHound
Nov 10, 2012

ChaosArgate posted:

You can probably get a cheap Asus TN monitor at that budget. Keep an eye out on Newegg for deals. They're not fantastic, but they're good enough.

I was suggested an IPS once before, is the difference for gaming really that noticeable? Or is it something you'd only notice if you're a hardcore nerd?

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

LoseHound posted:

I was suggested an IPS once before, is the difference for gaming really that noticeable? Or is it something you'd only notice if you're a hardcore nerd?

Always get an IPS unless you absolutely have to have a cheap 144hz screen. 60Hz TNs are beyond pointless when you can usually get an IPS for similar money or slightly more that looks massively better. Seriously the different is quite noticeable.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

BurritoJustice posted:

Always get an IPS unless you absolutely have to have a cheap 144hz screen. 60Hz TNs are beyond pointless when you can usually get an IPS for similar money or slightly more that looks massively better. Seriously the different is quite noticeable.

Speaking of, I just got a Dell U2414H today and all I can say is, the colours on the thing. :psyduck: Compared to the cheapo TN panel it's replacing, it's like getting a fresh pair of eyeballs. I gave it a quick spin on Team Fortress as well, which was perfectly responsive, so no problems with gaming.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

IPS does not have ULMB or other forms of Motion Blur reduction tech, which means they blur pretty bad by comparison to good TN panels. That, and sometimes price, are the only reasons to go for TN panels.

However, Acer's new XB270HU model looks like it might be the first IPS model with ULMB tech. If it works well, that's going to be one absurdly good rear end monitor. IPS, 1440p, 144hz, Gysnc, and ULMB? That's nuts.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

However, Acer's new XB270HU model looks like it might be the first IPS model with ULMB tech. If it works well, that's going to be one absurdly good rear end monitor. IPS, 1440p, 144hz, Gysnc, and ULMB? That's nuts.

Yeah, which is why it'll be $700+ (and I'll still be seriously considering one--just wish it was from a better company). Even without ULMB, there are a good selection of IPS models with solidly low blur and latency--they're not quite up to 144hz TN standards, of course, but they're more than good enough for 95% of gamers (and 99.9% of non-FPS gamers).

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

IPS does not have ULMB or other forms of Motion Blur reduction tech, which means they blur pretty bad by comparison to good TN panels. That, and sometimes price, are the only reasons to go for TN panels.

You only get ULMB on more expensive 144hz TN screens anyway, which were the exception I listed, and only on particular models or with driver hacks. As far as 60Hz models go you'd have to be daft to buy a TN screen.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
That Acer sounds great but why couldn't they just make it black? I don't want a bright orange bezel for my monitor though, looks absolutely hideous and will be totally out of place with the rest of the room. Anyone that says who cares, go live with a woman sometime and that's your answer.

If I get one I will have to strip it down and paint the damned bezel. Orange seriously, loving "gamer gear".

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

The Gunslinger posted:

That Acer sounds great but why couldn't they just make it black? I don't want a bright orange bezel for my monitor though, looks absolutely hideous and will be totally out of place with the rest of the room. Anyone that says who cares, go live with a woman sometime and that's your answer.

If I get one I will have to strip it down and paint the damned bezel. Orange seriously, loving "gamer gear".

It isn't orange: http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MO-077-AC&groupid=17&catid=948&campaign=affiliate/tag

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

But there is orange on the base!

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Don Lapre posted:

No and its unlikely to happen due to burn in issues.

The only manufacturer that hasn't given up on OLED on the TV panel side is LG. I have an LG OLED smartwatch and I have visible burn-in after less than 2 months, so obviously they're not there yet.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Movies
Movies run at 24 fps. 60Hz is not evenly divisible by 24. This causes motion judder, which can be very noticeable for some people. 120Hz or 144Hz are both evenly divisible by 24, so no judder.

Who are these magical folks that hate 3:2 pulldown?

Are a lot of you watching content side by side on 60hz and 120/240 panels simultaneously? Am I just smoothing over motion artifacts with my brain? I know they exist based on understanding motion and the need for duplication of certain frames, but I'm just not susceptible to it at all.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

Ahh I'm a retard, I was looking at a different monitor they're putting out around the same time with a similar model #.

Thanks, I can purchase it with full approval from the missus now.

Winks
Feb 16, 2009

Alright, who let Rube Goldberg in here?

zer0spunk posted:

Are a lot of you watching content side by side on 60hz and 120/240 panels simultaneously? Am I just smoothing over motion artifacts with my brain? I know they exist based on understanding motion and the need for duplication of certain frames, but I'm just not susceptible to it at all.

The only time it's bothered me personally was on a very large TV. I think it was 80 inches. Motion just looked wrong.

Winks fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Feb 20, 2015

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

zer0spunk posted:

On a sideways panning shot or anything with what's supposed to be consistent smooth motion it's really obvious. How annoying it is depends entirely on the film, I usually don't notice it unless I'm looking for it but if I do look for it I can usually find it pretty easily.

edit: Yeah larger screens do make a difference as well, I never noticed it on a PC monitor but can easily see it on a 52" LCD and it was clear as day when I didn't have 24 Hz working right on my 110" projector.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Feb 20, 2015

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

KillHour posted:

The only manufacturer that hasn't given up on OLED on the TV panel side is LG. I have an LG OLED smartwatch and I have visible burn-in after less than 2 months, so obviously they're not there yet.

They never will be there. Any display that ages will have the possibility of burn in.

NovaLion
Jun 2, 2013

REMEMBER
The XB270HU looks like it's going to be outstanding for gaming, I'm curious about how it'll handle art and photo editing overall. It'll be the first time in several years I've upgraded one of my monitors, and it's only a couple weeks away hopefully.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Any opinions on the Dell U2713hm? I know it's been around for a while, but there's nothing in the OP about it. How is it for gaming, assuming I have enough gpu to run 1440p?

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

A Proper Uppercut posted:

Any opinions on the Dell U2713hm? I know it's been around for a while, but there's nothing in the OP about it. How is it for gaming, assuming I have enough gpu to run 1440p?

I ordered one from Dell's outlet at a steep discount about a year ago (at the time) and kept getting ones with dust trapped in the screen or cosmetic bumps and scrapes. If you manage to avoid that--and this experience was pretty specific to me anyway--this monitor is one of the few that has a flicker-free backlight if that matters to you.

Backlight bleed is no better or worse then other IPS displays in this class, whether you compare it to super cheap Korean imports or wide gamut professional models. I've had the same luck with all of them.

The Dell U2713HM may no longer be the best deal, however. I haven't tried out the BenQ GW2765HT, for instance. It appears to have the same specs and a flicker-free backlight, but is nearly $200 cheaper on Amazon. It doesn't appear to skimp on anything at first glance over the Dell. The stand looks decent and all the inputs are there.

Edit: Not to mention, the U2715H is only $10 more expensive on Amazon. As is the P2715Q 4K monitor, but I won't talk about that one.

Zorilla fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Feb 22, 2015

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

I'm using one and I love it(although I got mine for $300), the color accuracy is better then anything else I've ever seen. With a 970 you end up at 60ish fps at 1440p with high/ultra settings which fits perfectly with the 60 refresh on the screen.

Chompers
Jun 29, 2006

Here's a good review of it:

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_u2713hm.htm

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Thanks for the replies guys. Sounds like it should be a good monitor. I realize nowadays it might not be the best deal for a new one, but I'm picking one up for $250 so I think it'll be all good.

PoorHobo
Dec 21, 2012
What are the goon opinions on the Monoprice 27" UHD TN monitor? Should I shell out the extra $70 for the Samsung, or wait it out and spend the big bucks for a 1440 IPS Free-Sync monitor? I mainly game and do some online forum reading. I have an R9 290X factory overclocked, so I can run games like Counter-Strike 4K no problem. Battlefield 4 and Shadow of Mordor I would have to run at 1440. Most of my concern on the Monoprice is the Glass screen, lots of people have had a problem with it, but my gaming set up is in a dark room. What are your thoughts on the subject?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

PoorHobo posted:

wait it out and spend the big bucks for a 1440 IPS Free-Sync monitor?

I don't think there's a 27" 4k TN monoprice monitor--I believe it's 28" (not that it really matters, just for anyone else trying to find it) for $450. 28" is getting to the point where it's too big for a TN screen not to show color shift during normal use.

A single 290X is, as you say, not going to be able to do much above 1440x at decent frame rates these days anyhow, so you'd be wasting a lot of the point of getting a 4k monitor. Also, 1440x IPS F/S monitors shouldn't really be "big bucks" unless you're getting one that also is 120/144Hz.

PoorHobo
Dec 21, 2012
I also would be wanting to use this for 4k movies when they become a lot more accessible and using up-scaling on the movies to get the ones I love to about 2.5K-3K. I realize I didn't mention that this would also be movies in my OP.

Edit: Does anyone know if I can hack the Monoprice 4k monitor to do 120 Hz at 1080?

PoorHobo fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Feb 23, 2015

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

PoorHobo posted:

Edit: Does anyone know if I can hack the Monoprice 4k monitor to do 120 Hz at 1080?

It's multi-input, so extremely unlikely. Monitors with input switching and scaling circuitry will tend to do sanity checks and reject signals out of their specs - the cheap Korean displays can OC because they feed the single input more or less directly into the panel.

ray_finkle_himself
Sep 7, 2012
Any recommendations for a monitor arm mount for two monitors with 100mm vesa mounts? One's a 24" the other 22" so I guess it has to be pretty sturdy. Also something that mounts directly to a desktop, not something with feet.

dartt
May 31, 2011

HUZZAH!
TFT Central has a review of the Acer Predator XB270HU (the Gsync/144Hz/1440p/ULMB IPS-type panel)

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/acer_xb270hu.htm

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Wow, that review looks really fantastic.

Can't wait to buy one.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Can someone help me with this one... I have a stack of VS229H-P monitors.

The official site says they can go up to 75hz: http://www.asus.com/us/Monitors_Projectors/VS229HP/specifications/

The place I ordered from says their standard refresh rate is 75hz (under Tech Specs tab -> Video): http://www.overstock.com/Electronics/Asus-VS229H-P-21.5-LED-LCD-Monitor-16-9-14-ms/6286449/product.html#none

Windows 8.1 won't let me pick 75hz with DVD-D or HDMI, even with lower resolutions set.

Neither will Nvidia settings on a 970.

Using EVGA Precision to set the pixel clock to 75hz fails. On DVD-D I can get it to display up to 66hz, on HDMI I can overclock it up to 74, but the last hz fails.

Are those specs flat wrong or am I missing something? I thought at least going down to 720p would have allowed 75hz.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

dartt posted:

TFT Central has a review of the Acer Predator XB270HU (the Gsync/144Hz/1440p/ULMB IPS-type panel)

:shepspends:

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Probably gonna be like 800 bucks, still a good buy.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

dartt posted:

I'm a little wary that the tested example has been handpicked/tuned for garnering good reviews, but raising the bar for panels of this class is something I think is sorely needed, as desktop displays have been outpaced by phone and laptop displays for a long time, and it's something that is overdue to be addressed.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Zero VGS posted:

Can someone help me with this one... I have a stack of VS229H-P monitors.

The official site says they can go up to 75hz: http://www.asus.com/us/Monitors_Projectors/VS229HP/specifications/

The place I ordered from says their standard refresh rate is 75hz (under Tech Specs tab -> Video): http://www.overstock.com/Electronics/Asus-VS229H-P-21.5-LED-LCD-Monitor-16-9-14-ms/6286449/product.html#none

Windows 8.1 won't let me pick 75hz with DVD-D or HDMI, even with lower resolutions set.

Neither will Nvidia settings on a 970.

Using EVGA Precision to set the pixel clock to 75hz fails. On DVD-D I can get it to display up to 66hz, on HDMI I can overclock it up to 74, but the last hz fails.

Are those specs flat wrong or am I missing something? I thought at least going down to 720p would have allowed 75hz.

You said you have a stack of those monitors. How many have you tried? You might have a defective unit.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

quote:

dartt posted:

I wonder what the prices will be like for it. The only preorder I saw open on some UK site came out to like $1000.00+ USD, yeesh.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

The Gunslinger posted:

I wonder what the prices will be like for it. The only preorder I saw open on some UK site came out to like $1000.00+ USD, yeesh.

Most likely in the $700-1000 range.

dartt
May 31, 2011

HUZZAH!

The Gunslinger posted:

The XB270HA they have listed on the same site costs $100 more than it does on American Amazon so the XB270HU is probably overpriced by $150 - $200.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT
On the subject of ~$1000 displays: personally, I'm waiting to see what these end up being like:

http://www.amazon.com/Seiki-SM40UNP-40-0-Inch-LED-Lit-Monitor/dp/B00RVGXZ08/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1424823892&sr=8-4&keywords=seiki+4k

Good to see Seiki actually following up on their somewhat vague announcement from several months ago about their plans to release a series of large 4K MVA computer monitors.