Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

It could be but the editorial interface and changes have been made well known about the book that I would doubt even the best writer would be able to spin constant gold from it. Like the time travel stuff, messing up her new origin, throwing her into space, not letting her use certain characters and so on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Hakkesshu posted:

Or it could be that DeConnick is just kind of a middling writer since she has yet to do anything that's at all outstanding in or outside of Marvel

And Bitch Planet's been pretty drat good so far, as was her Osborn miniseries with Rios a few years back.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
Hello Spider-Thread, I hope I'm in the right place to ask this, but a friend of mine just dumped a boxload of Spider-Man issues from the early 2000s on my lap and told me to take what I wanted from there before the lot gets thrown away. It's mostly Amazing Spider-Man, going roughly from early 2003 to the Sins Past stuff in 2005, but there are some random issues of other titles in there too, like Spectacular, Ultimate, Peter Parker, Marvel Knights, etc.

I don't really know too much about what was going on with Spider-Man in '03-'05, so what I'm asking is, is there is some noteworthy stuff in there I should be looking for? There are a ton of gaps in the collection, so I'd prefer picking single issues since every storyline that runs more than three issues is probably missing a part or two, but I'd appreciate any help in sorting out this Spidey pile.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Forktoss posted:

Hello Spider-Thread, I hope I'm in the right place to ask this, but a friend of mine just dumped a boxload of Spider-Man issues from the early 2000s on my lap and told me to take what I wanted from there before the lot gets thrown away. It's mostly Amazing Spider-Man, going roughly from early 2003 to the Sins Past stuff in 2005, but there are some random issues of other titles in there too, like Spectacular, Ultimate, Peter Parker, Marvel Knights, etc.

I don't really know too much about what was going on with Spider-Man in '03-'05, so what I'm asking is, is there is some noteworthy stuff in there I should be looking for? There are a ton of gaps in the collection, so I'd prefer picking single issues since every storyline that runs more than three issues is probably missing a part or two, but I'd appreciate any help in sorting out this Spidey pile.

Look for any Amazing by JMS (other than Sins Past) or Marvel Knights by Mark Millar.

Are you looking to keep this stuff or sell it though?

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

I really am not liking Dave Johnson's covers for Silk.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Forktoss posted:

The Ultimate series was the best thing going on for Spider-man then, before, and after.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Forktoss posted:

If there's any Tangled Web of Spider-Man grab that.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

Skwirl posted:

If there's any Tangled Web of Spider-Man grab that.

Agreed. It was an anthology series with some incredible stories in it.

And one absolute dud, I think.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Silk report: art remained cool, cartoony and without cheesecake, there was no creepy spider-sex stuff ("Spider-man and I had a thing for a while, it was strange and awesome" is all of it), flashbacks to the family she's looking for which were fine, D-Lister getting made fun of ever other page and JJJ being amazing in his new job. It was a pretty fine book.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Silk report: art remained cool, cartoony and without cheesecake, there was no creepy spider-sex stuff ("Spider-man and I had a thing for a while, it was strange and awesome" is all of it), flashbacks to the family she's looking for which were fine, D-Lister getting made fun of ever other page and JJJ being amazing in his new job. It was a pretty fine book.

thank god it looks like spidey and her aren't a thing in the book because that entire relationship was loving awful and weird as hell.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Silk was okay. It was like reading a Batgirl book. Not amazing, not awful, it's an above the average read that can build its niche audience. Unsurprisingly characters get much better the second they leave Slott's grubby hands

If it matters to anyone they age Peter and Silk in this issue. Peter is 25 and Silk is 28. I don't think it was intentional, but Silk was 18 when she put herself into the bunker for 10 years, so if Peter was still 15 when he was bit, he's 25 now and he's been Spider-Man 10 years. That's reasonable enough, Marvel's always had a sliding timescale.

RealFoxy fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Feb 18, 2015

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving

Monaghan posted:

thank god it looks like spidey and her aren't a thing in the book because that entire relationship was loving awful and weird as hell.

Silk #4 spoilers from solicits: She goes out on a date with Johnny Storm. Maybe Pete set them up?

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

Yvonmukluk posted:

Look for any Amazing by JMS (other than Sins Past) or Marvel Knights by Mark Millar.

Are you looking to keep this stuff or sell it though?

I'm just looking for fun Spidey stuff to read, to be honest. They're not in the best condition anyway, and I'm not really interested in trying to sell any of this forward. They're not even the original issues, actually - they're issues of the Finnish Spider-Man book, where they used to (and probably still do) lump two or three issues from several Spider-books into one monthly magazine.

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone! I'll keep an eye out for the stuff you've mentioned.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
I looked at Silk entirely because of Slott's reverse Midas touch and wasn't disappointed. As usual, the moment anything leaves his hands it turns, if not to gold, better.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving

Wanderer posted:

I looked at Silk entirely because of Slott's reverse Midas touch and wasn't disappointed. As usual, the moment anything leaves his hands it turns, if not to gold, better.

Agreed.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Forktoss posted:

I'm just looking for fun Spidey stuff to read, to be honest. They're not in the best condition anyway, and I'm not really interested in trying to sell any of this forward. They're not even the original issues, actually - they're issues of the Finnish Spider-Man book, where they used to (and probably still do) lump two or three issues from several Spider-books into one monthly magazine.

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone! I'll keep an eye out for the stuff you've mentioned.

Marvel Adventure spider man would be a great read for you.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
The big reason I want Slott gone is because if his reverse midas holds true we are in for some seriously awesome Spidey when he leaves.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Wanderer posted:

Exact same boat, plus being freaking starved for Spider-stuff. Scarlet Spider was scratching that itch in his run but then he was gone and all that was left was New Warriors, Ultimate Spidey was also good but for the past half year (more?) it's been on a downward spiral, then some Spider-verse one-shots were good and I'm ecstatic over having two Spider-people to read about monthly with Silk and Spider-Gwen.

I just love Spider-man and want a constant stream of good (or at least decent) Spider-media to consume and i'm sure as hell not getting any good Peter stuff out of Slott or the cartoon.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Exact same boat, plus being freaking starved for Spider-stuff. Scarlet Spider was scratching that itch in his run but then he was gone and all that was left was New Warriors, Ultimate Spidey was also good but for the past half year (more?) it's been on a downward spiral, then some Spider-verse one-shots were good and I'm ecstatic over having two Spider-people to read about monthly with Silk and Spider-Gwen.

I just love Spider-man and want a constant stream of good (or at least decent) Spider-media to consume and i'm sure as hell not getting any good Peter stuff out of Slott or the cartoon.

Pretty sure the cartoon is dead. :v:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Only things I wasn't super-high on in Silk #1 were them using the utterly awful sadistic murderess version of Black Cat (which I know we're probably stuck with until at least Secret Wars, if not beyond), and the bunker stuff at the end. It seems like a similar tack to what Ant-Man did, setting up a fun status quo and then playing keepaway so the writer can do the less fun thing they want to do.

I still liked it enough to keep going. I'm always down for a good Jameson-hates-Spidey scene. Peter's appearances were cool. Having not read her earlier appearances, beyond the 3-4 pages in Spider-Woman she was in, I like that they're treating Cindy and Pete's thing as more a "we had super-good chemistry, and the sex was great, but that's it, and we're over it" thing. And the Pokemon runner was funny.

Kinda wish the eidetic memory wasn't a thing, though, makes the character come a little too close to Batgirl, considering it was a major character beat in that book this week as well.

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

SOME PEOPLE FIND HOME APPLIANCES SEXUALLY AROUSING! ZORDS ARE NOT APPLIANCES, DAMMIT!
Silk was good, better than spider-verse. Gosh darn it!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Facepalm Ranger posted:

better than spider-verse

You're setting up really high standards there.

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010

SirDan3k posted:

The big reason I want Slott gone is because if his reverse midas holds true we are in for some seriously awesome Spidey when he leaves.

I'm praying for the day when Waid and Samnee are given the keys to the Spider kingdom.

Give Slott Silver Surfer and his own Superior book with Ock.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Amazing Spider-Man #15 Preview

Looks like Slott's going for the 'EVERYBODY LIVES!' ending.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I've not read much of Dan Slott's run on Spider-Man, but the more I read about it (mainly in this thread), the more he comes off as a less sexist-seeming version of Steven Moffat.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Well he is a big fan boy and has used Dr. Who comparisons when discussing his writing.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Aye, I believe he spent a lot of time in the UK in the 1970s and became a fan as a kid.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Wheat Loaf posted:

I've not read much of Dan Slott's run on Spider-Man, but the more I read about it (mainly in this thread), the more he comes off as a less sexist-seeming version of Steven Moffat.
At least Moffat never wrote a new female character who has an irrepressible urge to jump the protagonist's bones due to poorly-defined Time Lord pheromones.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Remove pheromones and you're talking about River Song.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Wheat Loaf posted:

His Silver Surfer is a huge Doctor Who rip off. I actually liked it at first but it got so old so fast. Especially since he has the Surfer constantly losing the silver, to make it even more obvious.

WickedHate fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Feb 20, 2015

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Waterhaul posted:

Remove pheromones and you're talking about River Song.

Who's the worst Dr. Who character, possibly ever.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

TheJoker138 posted:

Who's the worst Dr. Who character, possibly ever.

Well at least she's not directly tied to the Doctor's origins, which is something she's got over Silk.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

WickedHate posted:

His Silver Surfer is a huge Doctor Who rip off. I actually liked it at first but it got so old so fast. Especially since he has the Surfer constantly losing the silver, to make it even more obvious.

Haha, really?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Soonmot posted:

Haha, really?

Yup.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

WickedHate posted:

The last issue was real good. Old school Galactus fighting, moon surfing, craziness.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

I mean, Surfer has been desilvered before, I liked the set up they had in Thor when the preacher character became herald to Galactus and Norrin stayed in Broxton to work at the diner. But, the way it was said upthread made it sound like he'd been desilvered and resilvered multiple times in Slott's series.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Soonmot posted:

But, the way it was said upthread made it sound like he'd been desilvered and resilvered multiple times in Slott's series.

That's been the way it was last time I read it.

Dreqqus
Feb 21, 2013

BAMF!
Yeah I read up till maybe issue 3, but he was treating it as something Norrin could just turn on and off.

Castomira
Feb 24, 2011

Fuck you Eva Marie, if you have to be right there next to all of my posts you don't even get to have red hair. You're a dryad now.
:froggonk:
Not that I thought he was that wonderful a character or anything (okay, I kept forgetting he existed,) but I kind of hope Spider-UK survives whatever the hell it is Hickman's doing that I don't have the money to read. It's way too harsh if he makes it through all this Spider-Verse poo poo only to get taken out offscreen immediately afterwards.

E: ⬇⬇⬇⬇ drat, really? Where was that confirmed? ⬇⬇⬇

Castomira fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Feb 20, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Castomira posted:

Not that I thought he was that wonderful a character or anything (okay, I kept forgetting he existed,) but I kind of hope Spider-UK survives whatever the hell it is Hickman's doing that I don't have the money to read. It's way too harsh if he makes it through all this Spider-Verse poo poo only to get taken out offscreen immediately afterwards.

Spider-UK died offscreen in Hickman's Avengers.

• Locked thread