Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

raditts posted:

On the other hand, he gets to experience the entire DS library and 3DS library up to this point, and he didn't have to trade up to get New3DS, so I think he might be the winner here.
This can backfire a little bit though. For a variety of reasons I didn't play that much of the PS2 library up until about 2008 and only recently have I more or less finished my backlog of that system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Nate RFB posted:

This can backfire a little bit though. For a variety of reasons I didn't play that much of the PS2 library up until about 2008 and only recently have I more or less finished my backlog of that system.

Haha, I still have a PS2 backlog. I haven't even plugged it in since I moved to where I live now, which was 5 years ago.
Gonna finish that backlog one day. No, really.

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

That's a point. I've got a 32gb micro SD card on the way. Will that suffice? I've heard mixed things about it not supporting anything bigger etc. Unless I'm an idiot who misinterprets things.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Flint_Paper posted:

That's a point. I've got a 32gb micro SD card on the way. Will that suffice? I've heard mixed things about it not supporting anything bigger etc. Unless I'm an idiot who misinterprets things.

32 GB is plenty. I was doing fine with a 16 GB and had plenty of space. I upgraded to a 32 though because it was so cheap!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

greatn posted:

I have to say in readily enjoying New Super Mario Bros 2 and think that game is somewhat unfairly maligned. I really love the super relaxed timer, which gives you a ton of time to fully explore whatever level you're in and just collect every coin, even if it seems the only thing you get for collecting coins is a message saying "You collected coins!"

I really like nsmb1 and nsmb wii, so I fully expect to like nsmb2. I'm just waiting for a sale or price drop, since I already have a lot of other 3ds games to get through.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Hey, now that it's been a few months and the hype has died down, do people still like Fantasy Life? I'm still kind of interested in getting it and it sounds like the kind of game my wife would love since she's bonkers for Harvest Moon, but chatter about that game has dropped straight to zero around here.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I really like nsmb1 and nsmb wii, so I fully expect to like nsmb2. I'm just waiting for a sale or price drop, since I already have a lot of other 3ds games to get through.

If you want it, now would be the time since it's one of the final Club Nintendo rewards and there are people in SA-Mart willing to buy it for you with points at deep discounts.
Personally I think it's a tad boring to play single-player, but it's a lot more fun to play with a friend (not download-play though, both players need a copy of the game). You don't even really have to worry about killing each other with dick moves, because you don't lose a life unless you're both dead / bubbled at the same time.

Hip-Hoptimus Rhyme
Mar 19, 2009

Gods don't make mistakes

raditts posted:

Hey, now that it's been a few months and the hype has died down, do people still like Fantasy Life? I'm still kind of interested in getting it and it sounds like the kind of game my wife would love since she's bonkers for Harvest Moon, but chatter about that game has dropped straight to zero around here.

You should definitely get Fantasy Life. It's like if Animal Crossing and Final Fantasy had a baby.

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

Final Q - is it a standard USB charging slot? I know they don't include a charger in the box, just wondering whether I actually need to get one at all, or whether it's the same as, say, the cable for the WiiU Pro Controller.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

raditts posted:

What about Story of Seasons? It's coming out pretty soon, although I don't know how hyped up it is. Apparently it's the "real" Harvest Moon, even though it is no longer allowed to call itself Harvest Moon :iiam:

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling

Flint_Paper posted:

Final Q - is it a standard USB charging slot? I know they don't include a charger in the box, just wondering whether I actually need to get one at all, or whether it's the same as, say, the cable for the WiiU Pro Controller.

No, it's a proprietary connector. You will need to go to Gamestop or Amazon or the NOA online store or something to get one.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Get a USB charger from eBay for half a cent and then just use some wall adapter.

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling

noirstronaut posted:

Get a USB charger from eBay for half a cent and then just use some wall adapter.

This will also work. I'm just paranoid about off-brand chargers because of a bad experience with a knockoff iPhone wall adapter.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Maybe someone can help me, because so far my 3DS -> N3DS transfer is a big failure.
I followed the guide and did the system transfer, no problem. Then I copied the contents of my 3DS' SD card to a new 32GB microSD, via PC/USB.
Aaaand... nothing. None of my games recognize the save data. Was it supposed to also transfer the eShop games? Because they don't show up either.

What did I do wrong?

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

The rear end Stooge posted:

There are already ten GBA games on the 3DS VC, but they're only available to people in the 3DS Ambassador program (i.e. those who bought a 3DS before the initial price drop). So GBA is definitely a thing.

GBA on 3DS is a hackjob. It basically drops the 3DS into DS mode and loses a lot of functionality because of it. The games "don't meet" Nintendo's standards so they refuse to release them elsewhere.

Dave Angel
Sep 8, 2004

Flint_Paper posted:

3DS uses SDHC cards, which are formatted as Fat32 and come in a maximum capacity of 32gb. You can also get higher capacity SDXC cards (e.g. 64gb, 128gb) which come formatted with a newer filesystem exFat. You can use an SDXC card on the 3DS fine if you format it as Fat32, though you may need to track down a program to do that for you in Windows. Physically SDHC and SDXC are the same, the capacity/filesystem thing seems to be to ensure wider compatibility with different devices.

32gb will be fine unless you're planning on having a really massive library of games digitally on the card at all times.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Once I do the system transfer, in order to upgrade my SD card can I do the ol' drag n dump to PC?

I have to say that the New 3DS is reminding me so much of the upgrade from GBA to GBA-SP... it's like I can finally experience these games for the first time. I'm actually having a ton of fun with old games like Pilotwings and Ridge Racer simply because the 3D finally works and I can see the games for how they were meant to be seen. Also, playing rhythm games in 3D is blowing my mind... previously the amount of tapping prevented me from even considering playing games like Theatrhythm or Rhythm Thief in 3D, but now I wouldn't think of not playing them in 3D.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

flyboi posted:

GBA on 3DS is a hackjob. It basically drops the 3DS into DS mode and loses a lot of functionality because of it. The games "don't meet" Nintendo's standards so they refuse to release them elsewhere.

Didn't the DS have 100% GBA functionality?

Whatever I got out my old PSP and I'm playing GBA games on it.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

raditts posted:

If you want it, now would be the time since it's one of the final Club Nintendo rewards and there are people in SA-Mart willing to buy it for you with points at deep discounts.
Personally I think it's a tad boring to play single-player, but it's a lot more fun to play with a friend (not download-play though, both players need a copy of the game). You don't even really have to worry about killing each other with dick moves, because you don't lose a life unless you're both dead / bubbled at the same time.

Wait, there is a thread for people to buy things with points in sa mart? Please direct me to that thread!!!!

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
You know how with DS games on the 3DS you can still hit the Home button to bump yourself back into the 3DS menu, and you can close the 3DS to put the DS into sleep mode?

The GBA Ambassador games don't do any of that.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Didn't the DS have 100% GBA functionality?

Whatever I got out my old PSP and I'm playing GBA games on it.

Yes, because it literally had a GBA built into it, much like the 3DS literally has a DS built into it.

Hip-Hoptimus Rhyme
Mar 19, 2009

Gods don't make mistakes

Mercury Crusader posted:

You know how with DS games on the 3DS you can still hit the Home button to bump yourself back into the 3DS menu, and you can close the 3DS to put the DS into sleep mode?

As in, the home button doesn't do anything while you play a GBA Ambassador game? No functionality? Or it closes the game?

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
So I'm about to pull the trigger on getting a nu3ds. Other than a larger memory card and a hori screen protector, is there anything else I should be getting? I am probably going to pick up MH4. Trying to decide on one or two other games to pick up as well. I'm in the same boat as the other goon that just picked one up, I've never played any of the DS games ever and the last time I played Zelda was back on the NES.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Etrips posted:

So I'm about to pull the trigger on getting a nu3ds. Other than a larger memory card and a hori screen protector, is there anything else I should be getting? I am probably going to pick up MH4. Trying to decide on one or two other games to pick up as well. I'm in the same boat as the other goon that just picked one up, I've never played any of the DS games ever and the last time I played Zelda was back on the NES.

You will need a charger and a Philips #0 Screwdriver to open the back to insert the new memory card.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Wait, there is a thread for people to buy things with points in sa mart? Please direct me to that thread!!!!

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3701523
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3701421

Looks like the second guy is out of points, though.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Mercury Crusader posted:

So, what, Nintendo couldn't have fixed anything in the years since 2011? Has Nintendo even said a single official word about why they don't put out GBA games?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Hip-Hoptimus Rhyme posted:

As in, the home button doesn't do anything while you play a GBA Ambassador game? No functionality? Or it closes the game?

No functionality. It's literally a GBA built into the 3DS, and that's what the Ambassador games are running on.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Mango Polo posted:

Maybe someone can help me, because so far my 3DS -> N3DS transfer is a big failure.
I followed the guide and did the system transfer, no problem. Then I copied the contents of my 3DS' SD card to a new 32GB microSD, via PC/USB.
Aaaand... nothing. None of my games recognize the save data. Was it supposed to also transfer the eShop games? Because they don't show up either.

What did I do wrong?

Did you have the new SD card in the nu3ds when it "deleted" everything on it?
My point is you may have a formatting problem. I assume you still have to SD card from or files. Nintendo has a formatting tool you can get to format the microsd and then try putting data on it.

If that doesn't work then ???

You can go to the eshop and try to download a game you k ow you bought to see if your licence transfered properly. You may have lost your saves if nothing works but you can redownload stuff.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Bombadilillo posted:

Did you have the new SD card in the nu3ds when it "deleted" everything on it?
My point is you may have a formatting problem. I assume you still have to SD card from or files. Nintendo has a formatting tool you can get to format the microsd and then try putting data on it.

If that doesn't work then ???

You can go to the eshop and try to download a game you k ow you bought to see if your licence transfered properly. You may have lost your saves if nothing works but you can redownload stuff.

Basically I did:

1. Use the tool from Nintendo's help page to format the new micro SD.
2. Put that in N3DS, did the system transfer, said yes at the erase option.
3. Transferred the 3DS SD contents to micro SD.
4. No data!

I still have the original contents on the SD card though. Was I supposed to do that save backup thing from the settings menu?

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

No. You sure you did the transfer? You saw pikmins for like 20 minutes?

There's a point where it says to transfer the data to the new SD but it's telling you what to do after the transfer happens.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Saw the Pikmins, which took a while yeah.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Mango Polo posted:

Saw the Pikmins, which took a while yededeah.
Huh. Kinda out of ideas. Did you try to see if you can download a game you bought before? See if licence transfered.

Or maybe the 3ds doesn't like that brand micro? See if you can look and see how much storage is left in it.

Bombadilillo fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Feb 20, 2015

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Mango Polo posted:

Saw the Pikmins, which took a while yeah.

Did you choose "PC transfer" or whatever when it asked, or did you do the "quick transfer"?

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Have you guys tried drawing fake eyes on your forhead, could trick the head tracking from human mode into Muppet.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Bombadilillo posted:

Huh. Kinda out of ideas. Did you try to see if you can download a game you bought before? See if licence transfered.

The license stuff is all good, I can redownload. I tried Curtain Call and some Picross games but nothing is picking up on the save data.

Louisgod posted:

Did you choose "PC transfer" or whatever when it asked, or did you do the "quick transfer"?

Now that I don't remember :(

I suppose my best option would be to start from scratch again... if it's possible.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

You can't start from scratch, your old 3ds wiped itself and it doesn't hold your licence anymore.

Junkie Disease posted:

Have you guys tried drawing fake eyes on your forhead, could trick the head tracking from human mode into Muppet.

I have to know of this works.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Mango Polo posted:

Now that I don't remember :(

I suppose my best option would be to start from scratch again... if it's possible.

I was hoping you maybe chose the "quick transfer" (forget what it's actually called) like I did, since all you'd have to do is redownload the game and then it automatically restores the saved data. Strange it's not doing that for the digital stuff.

e: also, for those that have issues with the 3D tracking, do you have Milhouse thick lenses that can set ants on fire if you held them out in the sun? Maybe the IR tracker can't "see" your eyes because of how intense your prescription is? Would astigmatism affect it?

Louisgod fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Feb 20, 2015

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

If you don't have any eShop games or any save data, it sounds like you didn't copy things across correctly. Make sure that you copy the full "Nintendo 3DS" folder (or whatever it's called) from the old SD card to your PC, then copy that entire folder to the root of the microSD. There shouldn't be anything else on the microSD.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

GENDERWEIRD GREEDO posted:

So, what, Nintendo couldn't have fixed anything in the years since 2011? Has Nintendo even said a single official word about why they don't put out GBA games?

They haven't said anything. I'm just saying that the GBA Ambassador games are barebones like that. I'm also not a programmer or anything so I don't know why they haven't fixed that, or if they could at all.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Sounds really weird. Since its letting you download games. Maybe your data got corrupted in the transfer or something.

You can call nintendo, but sounds like your saves might be dead. I'd try another SD card for fun if you have one around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

GENDERWEIRD GREEDO posted:

I could've sworn they actually made a statement that they couldn't bring them up to snuff on the 3DS at some point. What remains to be seen is how much of a game-changer the n3DS specs are for further VC games.