Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Defiance
Jan 1, 2008

by Deplorable exmarx

Chomp8645 posted:

Ok goons, got some brainstorming to do on this one. I found a girl who is attractive and has a reasonably well written profile that shows off her interests and isn't generic or a dumb rant (evidence below). She mentions she's in grad school so she's probably doing something right, and she's the right kind of nerdy that is fun instead grognardy. Then halfway through the profile she drops this bomb.

She is 27 years old. How does someone that seemingly has a lot going for them reach that age without ever having a date? Taking bets on what her dark, terrifying secret is. I sent her a message so maybe I'll find out.

Exhibit A: part of the decent profile

Exhibit B: the picture

What is she hiding you think?

she looks like she used to have really bad acne & probs cripplingly low self esteem you can still see the pits and scars under her makeup esp. on her forehead and cheek

super curly jewfro hair too, but she took the pic wet/product

shes really pretty now but i bet her hs class pics are just horrifying.

e: would

Defiance fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Feb 20, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Zen Punk posted:

text is more easily searchable than images, if they're both on the public profile than posting one is just as bad as the other.

they published it for anyone to read/look at, they can't do poo poo. bring Leonard J. Crabs out of cryosleep if necessary

This is less about "what can I do legally" and more about "am I acting like a lunatic creepmaster"

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
i've never used okcupid, but from what i can tell, if you spend any more than 90 seconds contemplating a woman on there you are being a creeper and wasting your time

FaradayCage
May 2, 2010

Chomp8645 posted:

What is she hiding you think?

I'm going to guess her frumpy picture that you didn't post.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

i did it, i found the okc.txt

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

TenementFunster posted:

i've never used okcupid, but from what i can tell, if you spend any more than 90 seconds contemplating a woman on there you are being a creeper and wasting your time

Responses to an innocuous, boring, or average profile that contains one or two pieces of information that may or may not be red flags:

Correct: "Because the subject of this profile is a human being and I have the means to speak with her, I will use those means to ask her about the bits I am concerned with or interested in. Other random people from the internet will have no input on this decision because I am ostensibly an adult and know how to interact with fellow adults without consulting a giant pile of idiots."

Incorrect: "Better post this profile and her picture on some internet forums and hope Dr Gregory House MD can figure out her entire mental health background based on nearly imperceptible acne scars."

This thread is fun when we're posting demisexual transpandas whose profiles sound like manifestos, not when we take average/boring people and try to tear them apart for the heinous crime of making an OKCupid profile.

edit: hostile asexual BDSM polygamists are a good example of what is both entertaining to read and not weird to post

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Paineopticon posted:

Responses to an innocuous, boring, or average profile that contains one or two pieces of information that may or may not be red flags:

Correct: "Because the subject of this profile is a human being and I have the means to speak with her, I will use those means to ask her about the bits I am concerned with or interested in. Other random people from the internet will have no input on this decision because I am ostensibly an adult and know how to interact with fellow adults without consulting a giant pile of idiots."

Incorrect: "Better post this profile and her picture on some internet forums and hope Dr Gregory House MD can figure out her entire mental health background based on nearly imperceptible acne scars."

This thread is fun when we're posting demisexual transpandas whose profiles sound like manifestos, not when we take average/boring people and try to tear them apart for the heinous crime of making an OKCupid profile.

edit: hostile asexual BDSM polygamists are a good example of what is both entertaining to read and not weird to post

By tearing her apart you mean the part where we all said she seems nice and OP should date her after possibly making a lame joke?

Hadaka Apron
Feb 12, 2015
Eliezer Yudkowsky took down his OKCupid profile, but thankfully, someone saved it.

quote:

Wikipedia says I'm a decision theorist. The TVTropes page on me lists me as a Science Hero. The highest upvoted item on the Eliezer Yudkowsky Facts page says, "If you say Eliezer Yudkowsky's name 3 times out loud, it prevents anything magical from happening."

I am in an open relationship with Erin, and am the master of Brienne.
What I’m doing with my life
In 2000 I cofounded the Machine Intelligence Research Institute, a 501(c)(3) nonprofit devoted to navigating the technological creation of smarter-than-human intelligence (decision theory of self-modifying AIs to be more precise).

Over two years from 2007-2009, I posted one blog post a day to seed the creation of LessWrong, a group blog devoted to refining the art of human rationality and creating rationalist communities; it currently receives in the range of one million pageviews per month, and has spun off the Center for Applied Rationality.

In my off-hours I'm currently writing Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality (aka HPMOR), which is the most-reviewed Harry Potter fanfiction on the entire Internet (yes, really).

Back when Technorati was still the best way to search blogs, I searched on common misspellings of my name and found that - entirely unknown to me - I had been made the subject of an off-Broadway play called Yudkowski Returns: The Rise and Fall and Rise Again of Dr. Eliezer Yudkowski. Furthermore, the actor selected to play my role looked like Tom frikkin' Cruise. I am not making this up.

I happened to be in New York City during the annual Union Square pillow fight, so I showed up dual-wielding two pillows, a short maneuverable pillow for blocking incoming blows and a longer pillow in my right hand for striking. These two pillows were respectively inscribed "Probability Theory" and "Decision Theory"; because the list of Eliezer Yudkowsky Facts, which I had no hand in composing, says that all problems can be solved with probability theory and decision theory, and probability theory and decision theory are the names of my fists.

This very OKCupid profile has been linked from Marginal Revolution (one of the most popular econblogs). I swear I am not making this up.

I have been seriously and not in a joking way accused of trying to take over the world.
I’m really good at
Explaining math, computer programming, finding loopholes in games and real life, making people laugh so hard that milk comes out of their nose even if they weren't drinking any milk, waiting ages to plot my revenge, solving other people's major life problems, writing fiction with intelligent characters, inspiring enthusiasm about science and rationality and the future of humanity, putting in years of work to make a dream reality, and laughing the grandiose evil laughter of a mad scientist.
The first things people usually notice about me
It depends on whether you're a visual or an auditory person. If you're a visual person, you might notice the light fading as I enter the room; if you're more of an auditory person, you'll probably focus on the ominous Latin chanting in the background.
Favorite books, movies, shows, music, and food
Science fiction and fantasy: Permutation City by Greg Egan, Kushiel's Dart by Jacqueline Carey, A Fire Upon the Deep by Vernor Vinge, Neverness by David Zindell, Aristoi by Walter John Williams, The Golden Age by John C. Wright, Player of Games by Iain M. Banks, Night's Dawn by Peter Hamilton, The World of Null-A by Van Vogt, The Misenchanted Sword by Lawrence Watt-Evans, The Warrior's Apprentice by Lois McMaster Bujold, everything Terry Pratchett and Douglas Adams ever wrote, Sandman by Neil Gaiman, Watchmen by Alan Moore.

Nonfiction: Godel, Escher, Bach and Metamagical Themas by Douglas Hofstadter, Language in Thought and Action, Artificial Intelligence: A Modern Approach, Probabilistic Reasoning in Intelligent Systems by Judea Pearl.

Movies: Groundhog Day, Terminator 2, Hook, The Matrix (too bad they never made any sequels).

TV: All four seasons of Babylon 5 and all three seasons of Buffy the Vampire Slayer. I don't watch a lot of TV these days.

Anime: The four cardinal directions of my personality are Touya Akira from Hikaru no Go, Yuzuriha from X TV, Dark Schneider from Bastard!!, and Guu from Jungle Wa Itsumo Hale Nochi Guu.

Video games: Planescape Torment, Portal, Tsukihime (I'd pick Ciel), Fate/stay night.

Music: Pretty eclectic: Journey, Scooter, Two-Mix, Depeche Mode, Wumpscut. Summoning is just about the only overlap between my musical taste and my girlfriend's; she considers me a complete barbarian for liking Evanescence, but I'm sorry, I do. I'm a great fan of Bach's music, and believe that it's best rendered as techno electronica with heavy thumping beats, the way Bach intended.

Food: Flitting from diet to diet, searching empirically for something that works. Currently I'm trying out the paleo-inspired New York Less Wrong diet, which says among other things that saturated fat is good for you and sugar (even in the form of fruit) is bad.
The six things I could never do without
Higher purpose, Erin, Brienne, the Internet, writing fiction, people who occasionally think of something I didn't think of myself.
I spend a lot of time thinking about
whichever pieces of writing I'm currently working on.
On a typical Friday night I am
reading downloaded fanfiction from my Kindle, or being serviced by my slave.
The most private thing I’m willing to admit
My fetishes are orgasm denial (of her); tickling (either of her, or with me allowed to fight back); and I am strongly sexually sadistic but if I don't believe she's turned on by it, it does nothing for me.

I'm not easily offended by questions; I won't answer everything, but you can always ask me anything.
I’m looking for

Girls who like guys
Ages 20–40
Near me
For new friends, long-term dating, short-term dating

You should message me if
As of November 2013, my poly dance card is mostly full at the moment - having a full-time slave takes up a lot of inventory space. Message me anyway if you want to be notified when I have a rare solid block of free time, or if you want to meet up if I ever visit your city/state/country. Ignore any temptation to passively wait for me to notice you, that rarely works in real life and never over the Internet.

I've noticed that a lot of aspiring-rationalist females seem very shy and underconfident for one reason or another; so let me state here you shouldn't worry about disqualifying yourself or thinking that I'm not accessible to you. Don't decide on other people's behalf that they'll say no to you. Just decide whether you'd say yes yourself. Test experimentally what happens when you try asking directly for what you want - that's Empiricism. This advice applies any time you prefer the state of affairs where you sleep with a guy to not sleeping with him, and also to life in general.

I'm also cool with trophy collection, if you only want to sleep with me once so you can tell your grandchildren.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

Some goons correctly said "just talk to her, you screwball" but the ones trying to go Sherlock Holmes on her mental/romantic history sound too sincere to be fakeposting

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Hadaka Apron posted:

Eliezer Yudkowsky took down his OKCupid profile, but thankfully, someone saved it.

hahaha what an insane homo retard

Hella Paunchy
Jul 25, 2007
More fun than a stick in the eye.

Paineopticon posted:

lunatic creepmaster

mods name change please

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

Busta Chimes.wav posted:

i did it, i found the okc.txt

"Oh it's nothing sexual, I just enjoy hurting people"

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Paineopticon posted:

All I did was make an apparently bad joke about being someone being 27 with no dates and how oh boy there must be a dark secret!

I was not looking for honest mental analysis. I would not do that in GBS. I don't know why you would think anyone would do that in GBS.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO
yudkowsky cruising for more of that shy, underconfident aspiring-rationalist pootie tang

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

nomadologique posted:

yudkowsky cruising for more of that shy, underconfident aspiring-rationalist pootie tang
handin out them trophies

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

Anime: The four cardinal directions of my personality are Touya Akira from Hikaru no Go, Yuzuriha from X TV, Dark Schneider from Bastard!!, and Guu from Jungle Wa Itsumo Hale Nochi Guu.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

i just watched monster, and i'm pretty sure he would say Johan Liebert is the North on his compass.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

I live just outside portland, OR and god drat are the SJWs strong here. The more obnoxious thing is I match with a lot of them since I'm not a raging homophobe :sigh:

quote:

How to dismantle the dominant culture and build up in its place a culture that does not marginalize women, people of color, queer people, disabled people, or anyone else. Also how to smash capitalism. Also shoes and cute dresses and sloths and sex and why we aren't all cyborgs by now.

quote:

God/dess. The patriarchy. Kyriarchy. Epistemology. Religious history. Power dynamics. Mental health stigma.

quote:

My self-summary
I'm a pixie. Please understand this in dealings with me; I'm flighty, lighthearted and a #hedonist.

quote:

My self-summary
just another poly, trans*, genderqueer, anarco-circus witch, wasting away in late capitalism and calling for the Apocalypse.
What I’m doing with my life
living with my poly family at an amazing collective house that is in process of becoming egalitarian income-sharing.
This poo poo goes on forever as you can imagine

No idea what's going on with this pic too

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I've noticed on every okcupid profile that is a couple looking for more , it says "women I can play alone with , if you're a man my husband wants to meet you!l" Gee I wonder why he's ok with u fuckin a grrl but not a man. and I'm always surprised at how many hot chics be with the ugliest gooniest guys .

DOMDOM
Apr 28, 2007

Fun Shoe

quote:

living with my poly family at an amazing collective house that is in process of becoming egalitarian income-sharing.

sounds like her friends let her sleep on the couch and are too beta to confront her about cleaning up after herself and getting the gently caress out

Mantari
May 8, 2005
:D
Lipstick Apathy

naem posted:

Weeeeee represeeeent, the lollipop guild

subhuman filth
Nov 1, 2006

Pon de Bundy posted:

I've noticed on every okcupid profile that is a couple looking for more , it says "women I can play alone with , if you're a man my husband wants to meet you!l" Gee I wonder why he's ok with u fuckin a grrl but not a man. and I'm always surprised at how many hot chics be with the ugliest gooniest guys .

kinda sounds like they're both gay actually

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
Another good thing you notice, right up there with "I don't own a TV" ....."here are a list of 45 shows I watch on Netflix" is

Interests:
Camping
Backpacking

you message

"I got backpacking a lot, I did the Three Rivers Trail and 3 sections of the AP last fall, and camp about once a month...how about you?"

"Oh, I went camping once with my dad when I was 12....that is all"

I swear I have never messaged a girl with those in their interests (and where I live you see it a ton) and found one that actually went backpacking the last 2 years. It is incredible.

edit

Also happens a lot with "I like to travel"

DOMDOM
Apr 28, 2007

Fun Shoe
yeah i noticed the same thing during my okcupid tenure

oh you like walking dogs and hiking and camping? i hike my dog 3 miles everyday in this forest, how about you? really you can't remember the last time you went? well when's the last time you walked your dog? oh you let him poop in the backyard usually. ok... camping? really - girl scouts?

sounds like you are pretty serious about these interests

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
Fuckin lying females.... You know?

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Fuckin lying females.... You know?

youre projecting a little too hard there buddy

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

traveling is one of those things affluent people are able to do so by saddling that on i appear to be better than i am

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
I'm sure there is something 75% of guys have in their profile that is a lie just like girls and hiking/camping. It is probably "volunteering" or some garbage like that. My profile is 100% true which probably explains while I still have to use the site hah

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Ribsauce posted:

"I like to travel" = "I had fun when I went to Europe with my friends after high school graduation"

chickie nugs for brekkie
May 17, 2010
"I like to travel" = "Hope you have lots of money to spend on me"

Setzer Gabbiani
Oct 13, 2004

"I like to travel" will always be more acceptable than "I like adventures"

Aphelion Necrology
Jul 17, 2005

Take care of the dead and the dead will take care of you
im a nice person who likes to laugh and have fun, ask me anything im an open book

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Ribsauce posted:

Another good thing you notice, right up there with "I don't own a TV" ....."here are a list of 45 shows I watch on Netflix" is

Interests:
Camping
Backpacking

you message

"I got backpacking a lot, I did the Three Rivers Trail and 3 sections of the AP last fall, and camp about once a month...how about you?"

"Oh, I went camping once with my dad when I was 12....that is all"

I swear I have never messaged a girl with those in their interests (and where I live you see it a ton) and found one that actually went backpacking the last 2 years. It is incredible.

edit

I feel like this is pretty common. I went on an OKC date with this girl who had a really diverse and unique (for OKC) range of interests. When I asked her about each of them, it turned out she hadn't done any of them in at least five years. Come on man, there's a statute of limitations on these things.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014
my entire life is a lie, and my profile reflects that. what of it

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

Cnut the Great posted:

my entire life is a lie, and my profile reflects that. what of it

but if you say this, you become a liar's paradox and...

ABLUUUUUBLUBLUUUUUURGH

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

who doesn't like to laugh and have fun? oh you're shy around new people but open up when you're comfortable? oh you have the travel bug? what is that, dengue fever or something?

Male Tiers
Dec 27, 2012

Why don't you just lay down your weapons now?

Hadaka Apron posted:

I've noticed that a lot of aspiring-rationalist females seem very shy and underconfident for one reason or another; so let me state here you shouldn't worry about disqualifying yourself or thinking that I'm not accessible to you. Don't decide on other people's behalf that they'll say no to you. Just decide whether you'd say yes yourself. Test experimentally what happens when you try asking directly for what you want - that's Empiricism. This advice applies any time you prefer the state of affairs where you sleep with a guy to not sleeping with him, and also to life in general.

I'm also cool with trophy collection, if you only want to sleep with me once so you can tell your grandchildren.

"No need to be shy, ladies; just line up right here. I can try to make room for you in my busy loving schedule ~~"

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Male Tears posted:

"No need to be shy, ladies; just line up right here. I can try to make room for you in my busy loving schedule ~~"

imagine all that pussy juice in that beard

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

aw darn i forgo t this dude wasn't mencius moldbug, i was imagining mencius all along but that dork has a totall different stupid loving name

this is the basilisk guy

oh well it's still good, thanks for the fun dudes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

oh yeah that guys dumbass name is curtis yarvin, lol

• Locked thread