Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
If I'm a sperglord who wants all physical copies of my game, is there any real reason to upgrade the SD card in my nu3DS? My last DS was the original silver phat DS, so I don't exactly have anything to transfer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy

This is what happens to people who don't follow the system transfer instructions to the letter and go on wild adventures inventing their own method.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Alright then, I'll try both the original micro SD and the larger one after reformatting it.
Otherwise it's not much of a loss except for Curtain Call.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Protocol7 posted:

If I'm a sperglord who wants all physical copies of my game, is there any real reason to upgrade the SD card in my nu3DS? My last DS was the original silver phat DS, so I don't exactly have anything to transfer.

No. You can always upgrade later if there are some eshop sales or something.

Upgrading is literally copy/pasting to the new SD if you decide to.

The transfer malarkey is to transfer licences for purchased games that you don't have. You don't have to deal with it at all.

Grass Effect
Aug 10, 2014

Mercury Crusader posted:

You know how with DS games on the 3DS you can still hit the Home button to bump yourself back into the 3DS menu, and you can close the 3DS to put the DS into sleep mode?

The GBA Ambassador games don't do any of that.

The home button isn't useless, it just prompts you to close the game.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Bombadilillo posted:

No. You can always upgrade later if there are some eshop sales or something.

Upgrading is literally copy/pasting to the new SD if you decide to.

The transfer malarkey is to transfer licences for purchased games that you don't have. You don't have to deal with it at all.

I figured, but was unsure since the whole 3DS thing is still new to me. Thanks.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Protocol7 posted:

I figured, but was unsure since the whole 3DS thing is still new to me. Thanks.

No problem. Make a Nintendo Id when you start it, unless you have one on a wiiu or something.

Your purchases are tied to your Nintendo Id account AND the system. Because nintendo. If you buy all physical you can resell games and never have to worry about this. But some very good games are eshop only or hard to find and also they have great sales sometimes.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

If I don't already own a 3ds and have nothing to transfer, can I just put in the new larger micro-SD before I even turn it on, or is there anything on the original SD that's required for setup?

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Tender Bender posted:

If I don't already own a 3ds and have nothing to transfer, can I just put in the new larger micro-SD before I even turn it on, or is there anything on the original SD that's required for setup?

If you have nothing on the 3DS that your swapping SD cards from, yes.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Guess I'm dumb, because it turns out I did the system transfer onto the default micro SD :downs:
I copied that one's content on the new one and now my eshop games are on the home screen with all data. Oops. Glad to have my 60 hours of CC back though!

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Mango Polo posted:

Guess I'm dumb, because it turns out I did the system transfer onto the default micro SD :downs:
I copied that one's content on the new one and now my eshop games are on the home screen with all data. Oops. Glad to have my 60 hours of CC back though!

Now you owe us beef jerky, as is the custom of the 3dsgoon.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
You also have to suck one of our dicks you dumb human being

I'm sorry y'all. I just can't get enough of that quote.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
Jerky and dick sucking, you folks are all right.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

noirstronaut posted:

You also have to suck one of our dicks you dumb human being

I'm sorry y'all. I just can't get enough of that quote.

What quote

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I guess if anyone here cares, Arc System Works (Guilty Gear/BlazBlue/Persona 4 Arena etc) are making a Dragonball Z fighting game with 100+ characters for 3DS (Japan only but who knows)

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Help Im Alive posted:

I guess if anyone here cares, Arc System Works (Guilty Gear/BlazBlue/Persona 4 Arena etc) are making a Dragonball Z fighting game with 100+ characters for 3DS (Japan only but who knows)

This is my poo poo right here.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

epsilon posted:

Suck a dick you dumb human being. I've done the same thing for goons looking for action figures. It's an act of kindness. But people on the spectrum generally don't understand empathy or altruism, do they?

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

epsilon posted:

Suck a dick you dumb human being. I've done the same thing for goons looking for action figures. It's an act of kindness. But people on the spectrum generally don't understand empathy or altruism, do they?

Never forget this amazing quote 3ds thread

e. lol

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

When the ever gently caress is that One Piece fighting game coming to the US?

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Help Im Alive posted:

Me when I was 13: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DieyzCVTMog

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Junkie Disease posted:

When the ever gently caress is that One Piece fighting game coming to the US?

Super Grand Battle? I'd honestly be surprised if it came out here but Namco have done stranger things.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Skeezy posted:

Super Grand Battle? I'd honestly be surprised if it came out here but Namco have done stranger things.

I thought the grand line games for wii/wiiu and 3ds sold way above what they expected.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
If that game comes out in America, I'll eat a scrotum.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Junkie Disease posted:

I thought the grand line games for wii/wiiu and 3ds sold way above what they expected.

If poo poo like J-Stars Victory VS can come out in the states I don't see why another One Piece game wont.

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer

and I thought my mm edition was hosed

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I could've sworn they actually made a statement that they couldn't bring them up to snuff on the 3DS at some point. What remains to be seen is how much of a game-changer the n3DS specs are for further VC games.

I know I've seen a lot of people confidently saying "this is what Nintendo thinks" but I just can't recall any statements out of them.

I mean, I'd believe it if there were technical issues but some of the ones people bring up don't seem like massive obstacles. Don't downloadable Wii games on the WiiU function similarly, with an actual Wii chip taking over the system and turning off some console functions?

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I'm not sure if people are still having trouble finding new 3DS XL but a tip for Canadians just check out your Real Canadian Superstore. I was in there today and saw they had 8 of each colour.

I'm still waiting on my Futureshop gift certificates to pick up mine.

KillGizmo
Jul 11, 2001

Run you little bastard! Run!
Finally picked one up. What case are you guys using to keep this baby safe?

KillGizmo fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Feb 20, 2015

Canned Panda
Jul 10, 2012

KillGizmo posted:

Finally picked one up. What case are you guys using this keep this baby safe?

We use this baby case

Only registered members can see post attachments!

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

GENDERWEIRD GREEDO posted:

I know I've seen a lot of people confidently saying "this is what Nintendo thinks" but I just can't recall any statements out of them.

I mean, I'd believe it if there were technical issues but some of the ones people bring up don't seem like massive obstacles. Don't downloadable Wii games on the WiiU function similarly, with an actual Wii chip taking over the system and turning off some console functions?

Pretty much. The difference there though is that Nintendo is ok with that because you'd have to do that anyway to play your Wii disks on Wii U. That, and the Wii U doesn't have any features like streetpass to worry about not having on.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

my 3ds just downloaded something called the nintendo anime channel, thank you nintendo for the anime

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

lol, the rudest squirtle

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Someone bought him a big red text but it looks like he changed it

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Canned Panda posted:

We use this baby case

Thanks for this, I was wondering how to put my 3DS into a cryogenic sleep in style.

Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Someone bought him a big red text but it looks like he changed it

Consider the budget on the beef jerky bonus for the bebbeiz <3 n3DS bounty busted.

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling

KillGizmo posted:

Finally picked one up. What case are you guys using to keep this baby safe?

http://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Carrying-Case-Nintendo-3DS-Lite/dp/B0050SVPCO/ This is really sturdy and fits the n3DSXL perfectly. It also has some game card slots if you're buying physical games.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

The rear end Stooge posted:

http://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Carrying-Case-Nintendo-3DS-Lite/dp/B0050SVPCO/ This is really sturdy and fits the n3DSXL perfectly. It also has some game card slots if you're buying physical games.

I bought that one, then noticed BestBuy has this one that looks very similar for a few bucks less.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/insignia-go-case-for-nintendo-3ds-3ds-xl-black/3623019.p?id=1219092579144&skuId=3623019

Oh well.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

KillGizmo posted:

Finally picked one up. What case are you guys using this keep this baby safe?

We're waiting for the Duraflexi to come out.

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!
This looks pretty nice, but I tend to prefer ultra-minimal stuff- http://www.sfbags.com/collections/nintendo-3ds-cases/products/nintendo-suede-jacket#product-tabs2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
The bottom LCD screen is so far offset from center that the backlight seeps in through one side. I tried to exchange it at the store but they're sold out so rip