Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Skwirl posted:

Spider-UK died offscreen in Hickman's Avengers.

I think it was said there was only one surviving Britain left and it was eyepatch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Spider-UK is actually going to be in Secret Wars in the Spider-Verse comic. So no, he isn't dead.

http://www.newsarama.com/23496-spider-verse-lives-on-in-secret-wars-battleworld.html

Castomira
Feb 24, 2011

Fuck you Eva Marie, if you have to be right there next to all of my posts you don't even get to have red hair. You're a dryad now.
:froggonk:
Nice. Of course, by the time that comic rolls around, all of Spider-UK's friends and allies will be dead, so he might actually have some interesting characterization by that point.

And that Spider-Verse comic describes a pretty solid stable of characters. I wish Assassin Spider-Man was in there somehow, but you can't have everything.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Codependent Poster posted:

Spider-UK is actually going to be in Secret Wars in the Spider-Verse comic. So no, he isn't dead.

http://www.newsarama.com/23496-spider-verse-lives-on-in-secret-wars-battleworld.html

That doesn't mean he's not dead now, it just means that the premise for Secret Wars allows for him to be there regardless.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Castomira posted:

Nice. Of course, by the time that comic rolls around, all of Spider-UK's friends and allies will be dead, so he might actually have some interesting characterization by that point.

And that Spider-Verse comic describes a pretty solid stable of characters. I wish Assassin Spider-Man was in there somehow, but you can't have everything.

One thing that that article messes up - it's meant to be Anya Corazon as Spider-Girl, not Mayday (as per Mike Costa). Presumably some wires got crossed, hence the cover and solicits saying Mayday. But Tom DeFalco is probably doing an MC2 Secret Wars comic (at least he's dropped hints to that effect), so she'll probably show up there (with her family in tow, unless the ASM #15 preview is a bait and switch). Which should be good.

And to clarify: because she and everyone else will be guaranteed to be written in character, not because it's specifically by DeFalco.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Why does it matter if her family is still alive in Spider-Verse they were never the real MC2 characters :downs:

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Waterhaul posted:

Why does it matter if her family is still alive in Spider-Verse they were never the real MC2 characters :downs:
Because even if she's not the MC2 Spider-Girl (although as far as Slott is concerned, she is) having her story end with her an orphan is really depressing?

Castomira
Feb 24, 2011

Fuck you Eva Marie, if you have to be right there next to all of my posts you don't even get to have red hair. You're a dryad now.

Yvonmukluk posted:

One thing that that article messes up - it's meant to be Anya Corazon as Spider-Girl, not Mayday (as per Mike Costa). Presumably some wires got crossed, hence the cover and solicits saying Mayday. But Tom DeFalco is probably doing an MC2 Secret Wars comic (at least he's dropped hints to that effect), so she'll probably show up there (with her family in tow, unless the ASM #15 preview is a bait and switch). Which should be good.

And to clarify: because she and everyone else will be guaranteed to be written in character, not because it's specifically by DeFalco.
They really, really need to take Anya back to being Araña, with the exo-armor and everything. Her being Spider-Girl always causes so much stupid confusion, especially if after Secret Wars Mayday is always going to be a three-hour drive from the main continuity.

Plus, since I'm 95% sure they're going to wank together some way for "Spider-Gwen" to become Gwen's actual name in continuity, there's at least some parity there with the girl spiders just using their real names.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Castomira posted:

They really, really need to take Anya back to being Araña, with the exo-armor and everything. Her being Spider-Girl always causes so much stupid confusion, especially if after Secret Wars Mayday is always going to be a three-hour drive from the main continuity.

Plus, since I'm 95% sure they're going to wank together some way for "Spider-Gwen" to become Gwen's actual name in continuity, there's at least some parity there with the girl spiders just using their real names.

Has any character in any comic referred to Spider-Gwen as "Spider-Gwen"? While I like the name I think it's like Spock where only people on the internet use it.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Yvonmukluk posted:

Because even if she's not the MC2 Spider-Girl (although as far as Slott is concerned, she is) having her story end with her an orphan is really depressing?

Dollars to donuts the page after that preview of ASM 15 is a reveal that surprise surprise Peter and MJ lived through it all via [INSERT BULLSHIT HERE].

Castomira
Feb 24, 2011

Skwirl posted:

Has any character in any comic referred to Spider-Gwen as "Spider-Gwen"? While I like the name I think it's like Spock where only people on the internet use it.
They all call her "Gwen." Not one single person has referred to her as Spider-Woman since Edge of Spider-Verse #2.

And since her own series is officially called "Spider-Gwen," it's not really all that comparable to "Spock."

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Skwirl posted:

It's the name of the title of the book so that's how she'll be referred to by fans and media. She's Spider-Woman in the comics themselves, I believe.

They were originally going to name the title Gwen Stacy: Spider-Woman but probably changed it to avoid confusion with the other Spider-Woman title, and because Spider-Gwen was already popularized by the audience.

But yeah, in her own comics I'm pretty sure she'll be called Spider-Woman.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Castomira posted:

Nah I rather her keep the identity she was always supposed to have instead of the one they had to bullshit because DeFalco is a whiny manbaby

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Blockhouse posted:

Nah I rather her keep the identity she was always supposed to have instead of the one they had to bullshit because DeFalco is a whiny manbaby

Yes how dare he complain that he'd have to arbitrarily rename the character & book he'd been writing for I think 75 issues at that point so editorial could try and leech off that popularity. It's not like even when they did give Arana the name, people suddenly started to give a poo poo. I say that as somebody who actually likes Anya.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Arana is and always has been a terrible character.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Lurdiak posted:

She was great for a long time, and her solo titles weren't even that bad.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I tried reading Arana recently as I'd never given it a shot when it came out. All her stuff is pretty bad right from the start.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lurdiak posted:

I know a dude with an Arana tattoo.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

TheJoker138 posted:

I tried reading Arana recently as I'd never given it a shot when it came out. All her stuff is pretty bad right from the start.
The on-going, yeah it was the forced drama that derailed everything okay about her character. The Marvel Adventures and Ms. Marvel cameos and even Young Allies were pretty good (Young Allies wasn't that good just the character moments)

Spider-Island tie-in was good too

RealFoxy fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Feb 22, 2015

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Rhyno posted:

I know a dude with an Arana tattoo.

Me too!

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

That guy rip off someone's arm and like, Jeepers Creepers it?

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Am I the only one who thinks 'Spider-Gwen' sounds really awkward as a moniker?

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

It was a fan name that caught on because Marvel didn't want to dilute the very popular franchise Spider-Woman instead of just doing what they normal do and add an adjective to it (IE: The Spectacular Spider-Woman)

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
So what's she going to be called in universe?

We have Spider-Girl, Spider-Woman, Silk, Arana, Madame Web, ... is she going to show up to battle one day and Peter's like "GET OUT OF THE WAY SPIDER-GWEN!?" then Norman's eyes grow wide.

Or did I miss it.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Gatts posted:

We have Spider-Girl, Spider-Woman, Silk, Arana, Madame Web, ... is she going to show up to battle one day and Peter's like "GET OUT OF THE WAY SPIDER-GWEN!?" then Norman's eyes grow wide.

Or did I miss it.

She's called Spider-Woman in her home universe.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Flameingblack posted:

It was a fan name that caught on because Marvel didn't want to dilute the very popular franchise Spider-Woman instead of just doing what they normal do and add an adjective to it (IE: The Spectacular Spider-Woman)

She should obviously be The Superior Spider-Woman, and have that adjective be accurate for the first time ever :colbert:

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Spider-Gwen was supposed to just be a one off character like SP//dr and that so there was never any thought of what her book would be called or that there being multiple Spider-Women running around. Marvel were fine with Silk and Jessica Drew being the two female Spider people. When it sold so well and the new costume went down so well a book was thrown together and Latour pushed for Spider-Gwen since that's what people were referring to the character and there was already a Spider-Woman book. Like Captain Marvel this book is only going to last by appealing to that internet audience that have latched onto Spider-Gwen.

Gatts posted:

Or did I miss it.

Her title is Spider-Woman and her Peter is dead.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Dan Didio posted:

That guy rip off someone's arm and like, Jeepers Creepers it?

Pretty much, although all that was left of Arana in that case was the arm. He gains her powers because he has her stupid tattoo, as well.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

He even looks like Jeepers Creepers.

I always thought the creepiest bit about Jeepers Creepers 2 was the bit where he fits the dude's head onto his neck after being decapitated.

Well, second creepiest after the director.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Terror, Inc. predates Jeepers Creepers by quite a while.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

TheJoker138 posted:

Terror, Inc. predates Jeepers Creepers by quite a while.

Also less child rapist

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

bobkatt013 posted:

Also less child rapist

I haven't done a full accounting of where he's gotten every single piece of himself from at this point, so I can neither confirm or deny this.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Spider-Gwen is still great! It's got more of a punk feel that traditional Spider-Man, Gwen deals with things in her own way but still has the famous Spider quips. They also name-drop the band that produced that song "Face it Tiger" based on the comic.

I haven't read the Dan Slott issues but Captain Stacy is alive again, so the whole cast is back and the Spider-Verse is only mentioned in passing a few times and doesn't seem like it's going to derail the title

There's more familiar-but-different characters:

Ben Grimm is a regular police officer. He still talks the same way he does as Thing.
Foggy works for the Police Dept.
Hobie Brown (Prowler) is one of Gwen's friends.
Frank Castle becomes temporary Captain of the Police Force

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Two points: I think Foggy's still a lawyer, just that he works with the DA's office, instead of a private practice defender. And Prowler isn't a friend of Gwen's I don't think, otherwise she wouldn't need her dad telling her to go after the Vulture.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

When did Captain Stacy die? He was fine in Edge of Spider-Verse.

Also unsurprisingly the epilogue of Spider-Verse did indeed sort everything out and people who clearly weren't dead, still aren't dead!

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Waterhaul posted:

When did Captain Stacy die? He was fine in Edge of Spider-Verse.

Also unsurprisingly the epilogue of Spider-Verse did indeed sort everything out and people who clearly weren't dead, still aren't dead!
Why was I reading that Captain Stacy was being killed off?

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
"Look at you assholes all ganging up on me."
"Says the guy who founded the Sinister Six."
"... Touche."

That genuinely got a chuckle out of me.

That said, it looks like what happened this issue is the source of the confusion behind the announced cast list of Secret Wars Spider-Verse.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Flameingblack posted:

Why was I reading that Captain Stacy was being killed off?

You said Captain Stacy was alive again but he was always alive in Gwen's universe, unless I missed a tie-in.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Pureauthor posted:

"Look at you assholes all ganging up on me."
"Says the guy who founded the Sinister Six."
"... Touche."

That genuinely got a chuckle out of me.

That said, it looks like what happened this issue is the source of the confusion behind the announced cast list of Secret Wars Spider-Verse.

So basically Dan Slott came in and radically altered Spider-Girl, a character written consistently by the same creative team for over 100 issues on his first try, stripping out out a lot of her originality (both parents alive, the Ben Reilly costume & Spider-Girl name-'a new Spider-Girl every time I turn around' my rear end, Anya). What the hell. I'm guessing the MC2 Battleworld book will have Mayday Classic, since I can't see them having the MC2 without her-it'd be like having the Ultimate one without Spidey (and both Miles & Peter are confirmed to be in that one), and I can't see her pulling double duty in Spider-Verse. Still I suppose I should give him credit for not leaving Mayday stuck with only Uncle Ben and little Benny (although why the hell Daemos apparently didn't kill MJ considering his personality was fairly basically 'guy who murders because it's fun'. He also wrote MJ with respect for a change. Here's hoping that carries over to Renew Your Vows.

:arghfist::spidey:

Thankfully this utter tripe is FINALLY over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
I don't know if it's accessible, but I love that Peter David has pulled upon things from Spider-Man 2099's entire history during this most recent run, it's a nice reward for anyone who has read the character since the beginning. I never expected to see anything from the 2002 Captain Marvel run referenced again, let alone see Strange 2099 pop up in another book.

• Locked thread