Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I am positive Zatanna and Swamp Thing repeatedly showed up in Hellblazer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Skwirl posted:

Yeah, but that all happened in comics that weren't Hellblazer, which contains the vast majority of his appearances.

Zatanna showed up every now and then, the most famous time at his 40th. Swamp Thing also had a crossover in early issues. Dream also appeared in an early issue and a very important character The Family Man was mentioned in a great issue of Sandman.

bobkatt013 fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Feb 20, 2015

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

jscolon2.0 posted:

Fox already had a police procedural starring Satan and it was called Brimstone. But that was amazing and shortlived and this will be terrible and probably go on forever like Gotham.

Error 404 posted:

That show was awesome and way ahead of its time.

Lurdiak posted:

Brimstone was too good for this world.

I'm glad other people remember that show. John Glover's Satan was a gift we clearly didn't earn.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

McSpanky posted:

I'm glad other people remember that show. John Glover's Satan was a gift we clearly didn't earn.

If Brimstone hadn't died, he wouldn't have been able to do Smallville!

greatn posted:

Well it's goodish because basically they're seeing if the pilots they ordered are decent enough to replace what they currently have running, and being NBC there's a good chance their pilots will be fairly lovely.

It's like, minimum goodish. They are literally waiting to see if aaaaaaanything remotely better might come along because they would rather drop the show, but they won't drop it now since it does have a bit of a following and they wouldn't be able to explain dropping it with nothing concrete to replace it.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Yeah, Constantine is teetering on the edge. The ratings suck for a primetime network show, but they don't suck as bad as some other stuff and Constantine has a bit of a cult following. What else is actually on TV on Friday nights that isn't reality programming?

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

bobkatt013 posted:

Zatanna showed up every now and then, the most famous time at his 40th. Swamp Thing also had a crossover in early issues. Dream also appeared in an early issue and a very important character The Family Man was mentioned in a great issue of Sandman.

Swamp Thing's appearance at the 40th was pretty famous too! :420:

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Sadly I think they would actually get higher ratings with a reality show about a guy calling himself Constantine who hunts demons.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Skwirl posted:

Yeah, Constantine is teetering on the edge. The ratings suck for a primetime network show, but they don't suck as bad as some other stuff and Constantine has a bit of a cult following. What else is actually on TV on Friday nights that isn't reality programming?

Grimm, which I assume is vastly out performing it? Also CBS has a cop show on Fridays I think that is also out performing it.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

ToastyPotato posted:

Grimm, which I assume is vastly out performing it? Also CBS has a cop show on Fridays I think that is also out performing it.

Grimm is on the same network. Constantine's finale hit .8 in the demo, Grimm, which has been renewed, hit a 1.1. It's honestly not that far off in terms of what it's competing with, it's just that sub 1.0 numbers give network execs hives.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

ToastyPotato posted:

I think Grimm is the lead-in, and yes it does better, but it still only gets mid 4's to low 5's most of the time to Constantine's low 3's.

I also think lead-ins are pretty much an outdated concept when it comes to programming on a channel.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Neilsen's themselves are outdated as hell. I really wish the industry could come up with another way to judge how many people are watching a program live vs. DVR/streaming services/on demand.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Codependent Poster posted:

Neilsen's themselves are outdated as hell. I really wish the industry could come up with another way to judge how many people are watching a program live vs. DVR/streaming services/on demand.

i can't remember what show I was looking at, but I've seen wikipedia lists have a separate column of DVR viewers. They track it, but I suspect in most cases it correlates pretty steadily with live viewers. Similar to how the most pirated music tends to correlate with the best selling music.

I'm sure there are outliers in terms of DVR and streaming, but I doubt Constantine is one of them.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The networks don't care about DVR viewers since they assume they skip every commercial.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Aphrodite posted:

The networks don't care about DVR viewers since they assume they skip every commercial.

I feel like there's a lesson to be learned in here somewhere...

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

ToastyPotato posted:

If Brimstone hadn't died, he wouldn't have been able to do Smallville!

Yeesh, don't rub it in

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

It looks like there might be some crossover between Daredevil and AoS. This was posted by the official Marvel Daredevil page.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Dacap posted:

It looks like there might be some crossover between Daredevil and AoS. This was posted by the official Marvel Daredevil page.

The issue here being, how is that possible. Creel is maybe in his 30s, so how is he fighting Matt's dad when Matt is a boy? Unless his dad had the same exact name and they were both fighters who turned out to be not the greatest people? Not impossible, but definitely a bit weird.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
It tends to slip by a lot of people, but Matt's in his late teens, (or possibly even in college) when Jack dies. He's not Batman.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Yeah, he's blinded as a kid, but his dad dies later.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

You know, it slipped my mind too. I think the problem is most people have such a truncated view of his origins, that we tend to wrongly remember his dad dying shortly after him going blind. My bad guys.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

ToastyPotato posted:

The issue here being, how is that possible. Creel is maybe in his 30s, so how is he fighting Matt's dad when Matt is a boy? Unless his dad had the same exact name and they were both fighters who turned out to be not the greatest people? Not impossible, but definitely a bit weird.

In addition to what's been said, not everyone who has the same name as their father goes by Junior.

Edit: Quoted the wrong post.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

The actor who plays him in AoS is 36, so I'd say they have some wiggle room.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Gaz-L posted:

It tends to slip by a lot of people, but Matt's in his late teens, (or possibly even in college) when Jack dies. He's not Batman.

Wait, he is? I made the same nitpick earlier today and was totally unaware of this. LOL.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Barry Convex posted:

Wait, he is? I made the same nitpick earlier today and was totally unaware of this. LOL.

In his comic book origin, there's a good chunk of time between Matt going blind and his father dying. He was definitely a kid when he was blinded and since there's never been mention of any type of foster family or staying with an Aunt, it makes sense that he was in his late teens at the youngest when his dad was murdered.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I'd have to reread the Man Without Fear comic, but I think Matt was in college or law school when his dad was killed.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Codependent Poster posted:

I'd have to reread the Man Without Fear comic, but I think Matt was in college or law school when his dad was killed.

I dimly remember that being the case in Daredevil: Yellow too.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Laura Benanti has been cast as Alura Zor-El in the Supergirl series.

http://deadline.com/2015/02/laura-benanti-supergirl-mom-pilot-greg-berlanti-cbs-1201377441/

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Affleck Daredevil's dad died when he was a kid, so I think that has inadvertently stuck in a lot of folks' minds. I know did in mine. v:shobon:v

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

The MSJ posted:

Laura Benanti has been cast as Alura Zor-El in the Supergirl series.

http://deadline.com/2015/02/laura-benanti-supergirl-mom-pilot-greg-berlanti-cbs-1201377441/

...Ghost Mom? They really need to ditch any notion of Superman existing previously in this show, because at this point, they're literally just doing a gender-swapped Superman series, and it'll be confusing.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Supergirl being derivative of Superman??????????????????????????

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Wait till you find out Merlyn was involved with an undertaking with General Zod to destroy Argo because his secret alien wife was killed there.

the future is WOW
Sep 9, 2005

I QUIT!

Aphrodite posted:

That's not true at all. Networks absolutely do care about DVR viewing habits and keep track of them as much as they can.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

BrianWilly posted:

Affleck Daredevil's dad died when he was a kid, so I think that has inadvertently stuck in a lot of folks' minds. I know did in mine. v:shobon:v

It's the same in Miller's work which is where the film gets it.

Matt is blinded as a kid, Dad tries to make ends meet to keep him going, Matt starts training with Stick, shortly later Dad is killed so Matt stops training with Stick. Years later he meets up with Elektra in Law school and starts to train and that again and eventually returns to Hells Kitchen years later.

His dad dying when he's older is Loeb and the dumb Daredevil: Yellow.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Waterhaul posted:

Matt is blinded as a kid, Dad tries to make ends meet to keep him going, Matt starts training with Stick, shortly later Dad is killed so Matt stops training with Stick. Years later he meets up with Elektra in Law school and starts to train and that again and eventually returns to Hells Kitchen years later.

In the very first issue of Daredevil he dies while Matt is in law school. Matt and Foggy even go to see the fight.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Which is not how it is in Man Without Fear (which is his modern origin)...which is where the film gets it...

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Waterhaul posted:

Which is not how it is in Man Without Fear (which is his modern origin)...which is where the film gets it...

Well you said it was a Loeb thing, which unless he was writing comics in the mid sixties it wasn't. Also I'm pretty sure in Man Without Fear, he's in law school explicitly one year after his dad's death. So it's still not really when he was a kid.

cultureulterior
Jan 27, 2004
In re Lucifer-

On the plus side, Mazikeen, and the piano bar is in- but there's also a cop and a CUTE KID?
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/02/09/ive-just-read-lucifer-pilot-cop-show-cute-kid/

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

cultureulterior posted:

In re Lucifer-

On the plus side, Mazikeen, and the piano bar is in- but there's also a cop and a CUTE KID?
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/02/09/ive-just-read-lucifer-pilot-cop-show-cute-kid/

Oh good adding a cute kid has never ruined anything. Everyone's favorite part of Iron Man 3 was the spunky young go getting lad.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Waterhaul posted:

Goddamn well now I am genuinely confused. Not that it matters since we will surely get an explanation on what origin they are going with come April. But at least this is reminding me to read those DD comics I have sitting on my shelf.

So the producers said he'd be in his proper costume by the end of the season right? Kind of surprising that there hasn't been a single leak of the costume yet. Though to be honest, the DD crew have run a very tight ship it seems. It's also probably a little easier when your season is short and you are doing it all at once I guess.

Medullah posted:

Oh good adding a cute kid has never ruined anything. Everyone's favorite part of Iron Man 3 was the spunky young go getting lad.

I know a few people who found Tony's interactions with him to be some of the funnier moments in the film. I thought it was pretty funny too. That poo poo could have gone way worse. That being said, this is a TV show about Lucifer, so yeah there is a good chance of the kid being awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
It got really good when it started mocking the whole idea. So when it ended, really.

"How I do know? Because we're connected."