Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
theadder
Dec 30, 2011

PleasureKevin posted:

racial and homophobic slurs

weird op

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Mr Dog posted:

greg krh is a cool linux guy so it makes me sad he's wasting time with this :pcgaming: PROJECT ARA :pcgaming: bullshit

then again he's taking money from the ballpit's pockets so i can't be too mad

sometimes the smartest people are also huge idiots

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

jesus christ, i just tried to switch to another google account's drive/docs app from gmail and apparently i have to sign out of all my accounts. google has helpfully included a link labelled "why?" but clicking on it only takes me to a page that explains how to sign into accounts.

Axel Rhodes Scholar
May 12, 2001

Courage Reactor

save yourself time and pain and use one browser per google account

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

better than noop imo

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

dazjw posted:

One browser per two accounts, you can use private browsing for a second account

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

i use zero googles per laptop hth

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

Brands will now have to go through Google’s sales team rather than working directly with YouTubers to put ‘graphical title cards’ – or overlays – on videos following an amendment to its branded content policy introduced last year.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

dazjw posted:

chome has multi-profile support for this reason

Cardboard Box A posted:

Wait what happened with the profile support?

it used to be "click the cat in the corner of the browser to make a new windows as somebody else" but now instead of a cute cartoon cat it's a box with a name in it and instead of a neat little menu it's a big obnoxious thing

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Cocoa Crispies posted:

chome has multi-profile support for this reason

their accounts are so broken they had to work around it in the browser. that's microsoft-level of innovation

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

cremnob posted:

Brands will now have to go through Google’s sales team rather than working directly with YouTubers to put ‘graphical title cards’ – or overlays – on videos following an amendment to its branded content policy introduced last year.

are graphical title cards like, an Intel overlay over a gaming video, or what? either way that sounds like it's gonna suck for ~~~content creators~~~

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

do they mean watermarks?

or like intro videos?

or those little 1-frame pictures they put at exactly 50% through a video to make the preview image show something

or like little "from YOSPOS studios presents..." thingys

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

PleasureKevin posted:

or those little 1-frame pictures they put at exactly 50% through a video to make the preview image show something

you can just supply arbitrary thumbnail images now

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka

The Management posted:

their accounts are so broken they had to work around it in the browser. that's microsoft-level of innovation

post/username combo

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Google finally admitting anroid is literally for children

YouTube to launch kid-friendly app exclusively on Android, ahead of Apple's iOS
http://appleinsider.com/articles/15/02/20/youtube-spurns-apples-ios-will-only-offer-new-kid-friendly-app-on-android

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
lol @ code.google.com

At some point like one or two people served malware from there so Google paniced and shitcanned the whole thing and even their own open sores poo poo says "we've migrated to GitHub" on their code.google.com pages

for some reason github.io doesn't seem to have this problem hrrrrmm (probably because something being hosted at "google.com" carries a bit more authority than github.io but still)

ballpit ADD strikes again

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
AND ANOTHER THING

can the monkeycheese.ly and monkeycheese.io trend loving die already pls

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

dazjw posted:

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

pagancow posted:

Google finally admitting anroid is literally for children

YouTube to launch kid-friendly app exclusively on Android, ahead of Apple's iOS
http://appleinsider.com/articles/15/02/20/youtube-spurns-apples-ios-will-only-offer-new-kid-friendly-app-on-android

does anyone remember the guy making official-looking clones of the youtube app and vice video app and all that

and they warned him like 2 or 3 times to stop, but he was like "hey i'm just making these apps for my kid, you know, like an easier version of the youtube and vice app for my kid to use"

i wonder if he's still foaming at the mouth about getting banned and thinking google stole his idea lol

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

PleasureKevin posted:

does anyone remember the guy making official-looking clones of the youtube app and vice video app and all that

and they warned him like 2 or 3 times to stop, but he was like "hey i'm just making these apps for my kid, you know, like an easier version of the youtube and vice app for my kid to use"

i wonder if he's still foaming at the mouth about getting banned and thinking google stole his idea lol

he deleted the post but the internet never forgets

everybody really should start at the top and read every goddamn word, it's totally worth it

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

the escalation as you read it is great. here's a teaser:

quote:

What is an app? It’s just a container for content. Shouldn’t the app name inform the user of the content? One of my apps contained the channel id for Vice.com. Since the length of the app name is so limited I decided on “Vice TV” It was simple informative and it fit on screen just right. I didn’t think they would mind, I thought I was doing them a favor. Pointing people to their great content. It’s free advertising and I was in no way profiting from using this name. Users loved this app.

I own a software company. If a third party made a free fan app pointing to my products, I would be ecstatic! Who doesn’t want fans and free marketing?

Maybe I’m naive, but I’m trying to create apps and trying to figure out the landscape so I can plan my new business. What works, what doesn’t work. Do people like the app or hate the app. Is it being downloaded. I had no idea what I was doing and needed data.

I was also secretly hoping I would get a contract job out of this or someone might say, “Hey, add my blog and Facebook pages and I’ll buy the app from you.” I’m new to the world of app stores. Call me stupid, I was just trying to figure things out before dumping a bunch of money and time into something that was completely new to me.

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

an (ex-)android dev posted:

It’s like worrying about a J-walking ticket when there are homeless people smoking crack 10 feet from you. (My office is in the Mission, so this is a daily occurrence for me)

also lolling at the part where he converted all his family's devices to the android/ubuntu ecosystem, p sure those are solid grounds for divorce

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
i like the bit at the beginning where he's all "they think i'm impersonating someone?? why would they think that i'm just using the actual youtube icon right from youtube:confused::confused::confused::confused:?:confused:"

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

I thought I could get maybe 20-30 apps suspended without repercussions.

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

I don't watch movies more than once. I read books. but I have read that thing like 4 times. it's like time cube tier online buttery and lack of self awareness in my broken nerd mind.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

quote:

I thought I was doing these guys a favor. The apps I wrote would have cost about $50,000 each if I had charged for my time. I basically donated $500,000 to the Android community.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
this is just a fun little project made for just my kids to use that's in beta and i want people's opinions on it and i hope someone sees it and buys it for a million dollars but i never intended to make money off it really you all owe me half a million dollars if it was me i would love the publicity google never told me i was breaking the rules their emails that said i broke the rules were too vauge so i just kept doing what i was doing some rules should be broken remwmber back in tge good old days when if you brokw a rule pepple would respons and im a hwro realy wheres my paradegoooooooooogle

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
okay, so for me, the "No CAPTCHA reCAPTCHA" has now devolved to what recaptcha was before they introduced this new thing. i get a blurry scan and an annoyingly distorted word almost always. but sometimes clicking the checkbox is enough :confused:

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
i like this one too: http://andrewpearson.org/?p=681

quote:

I found a “mirror” of your previous listing, including this:

Artists include: Grateful Dead, moe., Max Creek, Phil Lesh and Friends, Umphreys McGee, Disco Biscuits, Radiators, String Cheese Incident, Blues Traveler, 311, Jack Johnson, Smashing Pumpkins, Yonder Mountain String Band, Tea Leaf Green, Railroad Earth, Furthur, Ratdog, North Mississippi Allstars, Derek Trucks Band, Perpetual Groove, Drive-By Truckers, Mr. Blotto, Donna the Buffalo, Strangefolk, Brothers Past, Hot Buttered Rum, Jerry Joseph and the Jackmormons, Keller Williams, Sound Tribe Sector 9, Little Feat, Guster, Ween, The Breakfast, New Monsoon, Cornmeal, Grace Potter and the Nocturnals, JJ Grey and MOFRO, Ryan Adams, The Bridge, New Riders of the Purple Sage, Dark Star Orchestra, Steve Wynn, Ryan Montbleau, Lotus, Greensky Bluegrass, The Dead, Zero, The Brew, Club d’Elf, Local H, Bela Fleck and the Flecktones, Of A Revolution, Jerry Joseph (solo & side projects), Infamous Stringdusters, Matisyahu, Camper Van Beethoven, Pat McGee Band, Garaj Mahal, Raq, Benevento/Russo, My Morning Jacket, Michael Franti and Spearhead, Cowboy Junkies, Animal Liberation Orchestra, Assembly of Dust, God Street Wine, Soulive, Dopapod, Steve Kimock Band, Moonalice, Mike Mizwinski, The Gourds, Steve Kimock, Charlie Hunter, Larry Keel, Acoustic Syndicate, Robert Randolph [and the Family Band], Dumpstaphunk, The New Deal, Toubab Krewe, Nate Wilson Group, Del McCoury Band, David Nelson Band, John Butler Trio, Karl Denson’s Tiny Universe, The Codetalkers, Matt Nathanson, New Mastersounds, JGB, Lazlo Hollyfeld, Jacob Fred Jazz Odyssey, Mickey Hart Band, Zach Deputy, Mysterytrain, Spin Doctors, The McLovins, Band of Heathens, Particle, Rusted Root, John Mayer, Low, The Heavy Pets, Mogwai, David Gray, Robert Hunter, Sam Bush, Mountain Goats, Big Head Todd and the Monsters, Godspeed You Black Emperor!, G. Love and Special Sauce, Glen Phillips, Kung Fu, Trampled by Turtles, Dirty Dozen Brass Band, The Motet, Lettuce, Gomez Warren Zevon, Big Daddy Love, Bushwalla, Emmitt Nershi Band, Garcia Birthday Band, Marco Benevento, Rubblebucket, Carbon Leaf, Elliott Smith, Virginia Coalition, indobox, Giant Panda Guerilla Dub Squad, Explosions in the Sky, Papadosio, Tim Reynolds, Bob Weir, Future Rock, Moon Taxi, Toad The Wet Sprocket, EOTO, Buckethead, Dubconscious, Rhythm Devils, Addison Groove Project, BoomBox, Roots Of Creation, Billy Corgan, Death Cab for Cutie, Indecision, John Brown’s Body, The Pimps of Joytime, Donavon Frankenreiter Band, …And You Will Know Us By the Trail of Dead, Los Lonely Boys, Hank Williams III, DJ Logic, Zoogma, Alabama Shakes, Citizen Cope, Greyboy Allstars, Cosmic Dust Bunnies, Vertical Horizon, Telepath, The Verve Pipe, Pinback, The DJ Williams Projekt, Blind Melon, Gin Blossoms, Fugazi, 2 Skinnee Js, Tenacious D and many more.

http://www.androidpit.com/en/android/market/apps/app/com.code.android.vibevault/Vibe-Vault

I don’t think you will get much sympathy from anyone who had to view this on a mobile device.

quote:

Andrew Post author April 10, 2014

This list fit within the character limit provided by Google. If the concern is that lists can be too long, a developer shouldn’t be able to write that much.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Mr Dog posted:

AND ANOTHER THING

can the monkeycheese.ly and monkeycheese.io trend loving die already pls

How else would startups show their solidarity with Gaddafi

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Wheany posted:

okay, so for me, the "No CAPTCHA reCAPTCHA" has now devolved to what recaptcha was before they introduced this new thing. i get a blurry scan and an annoyingly distorted word almost always. but sometimes clicking the checkbox is enough :confused:

The gently caress are you doing that you need to enter captchas that often

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

The Google Android keyboard's swype implementation keeps auto correcting gently caress to duck

I might just start leaving it like that

Honked again

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Progressive JPEG posted:

The gently caress are you doing that you need to enter captchas that often

prob 4chan

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Progressive JPEG posted:

The Google Android keyboard's swype implementation keeps auto correcting gently caress to duck

I might just start leaving it like that

Honked again

i fixed that by adding it to the dictionary. gently caress, loving, ducker... poo poo. :argh:
the one that annoys me is that it never adds suck(s) or (God)drat(ed). I have to put those duckers in manually.

Stupid Android phone.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Mister Macys posted:

i fixed that by adding it to the dictionary. gently caress, loving, ducker... poo poo. :argh:
the one that annoys me is that it never adds suck(s) or (God)drat(ed). I have to put those duckers in manually.

Stupid Android phone.

Tbh I could see it ultimately being bad for PR if swearing was in the autocorrect by default

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Progressive JPEG posted:

Tbh I could see it ultimately being bad for PR if swearing was in the autocorrect by default

only if the pr people are terrible, it would be very easy to spin that

"the dictionaries we use are tailored to reflect real-world language. our products are designed to enable you to express yourself quickly and clearly, no matter what you want to say. we're not in the business of policing language."

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

like all keyboards there is an option to enable swearing in both suggestions and swiping

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

LastInLine posted:

like all keyboards there is an option to enable swearing in both suggestions and swiping

even when you enable it ducks and ducking take precedence, and what you want won't even show in the suggestions sometimes regardless of whether you added it and disabled blocking of foul language

it sucks and is bullshit

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Blue Train posted:

it ducks and is ballpit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Blue Train posted:

even when you enable it ducks and ducking take precedence, and what you want won't even show in the suggestions sometimes regardless of whether you added it and disabled blocking of foul language

it sucks and is bullshit
you are correct

it didnt come across in my post but i intended to express that google knew it would be an issue and put an option in there to address it and then in practice it works exactly the way you said with gently caress never being suggested over duck

its the main reason i stick with swype despite its flaws as i like every english speaking person on the planet use the word gently caress about thirty times more often than duck well that and the special kb shortcuts and capitalization trigger in swype are super convenient

• Locked thread