Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

oh huh i thought i'd read that they'd taken that out

guess i'll shield next time i need to blow something up with my face

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

BGrifter posted:

Going away on a trip and I've settled on Link Between Worlds for a Zelda game, but I'm still on the fence about a Mario title. I know Super Mario 3D Land is the more popular title, but I hated Mario 64 and haven't touched a 3D Mario since. NSMB2 looks more like Super Mario World, my favourite Mario title.

Anyone want to take a stab at convincing me to go with 3D Land despite hating Mario 64 and loving Super Mario World?

3D Land takes 2D Mario level design and puts it in 3D. It's basically what Mario 64 "should" have been in terms of maintaining the feel of the older games

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Huh, the Giant Bomb Quick Look for Majora's Mask taught me that I can block the damage done by the Bomb Mask by pointing the shield up. I never knew that. :stare:

You don't have to point it anywhere, just be shielding and you'll be fine

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Looper posted:

You don't have to point it anywhere, just be shielding and you'll be fine

Weird, I never put 2 and 2 together when I first played the N64 version...

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Haruharuharuko posted:

Glad to help and yeah the unlockable levels in that game are goddamn nuts.

Yeah I'm sure a psychiatrist could come up with some terrifying reason why, but I sure love having lists of things to unlock and completing them in video games.

Dragon Quest IX was heaven for that.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Haruharuharuko posted:

NSMB2 feels like a fan game though enjoyable its kind of garbage. 3D land is a system seller it singlehandedly justifies 3d and feels very little like 64 other than that its a 3d mario game the levels are self contained and it has some of the best unlockable content out there buy that one.

3D Land and World feel like the true sequels to the 2D Era of Mario.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Looper posted:

3D Land takes 2D Mario level design and puts it in 3D. It's basically what Mario 64 "should" have been in terms of maintaining the feel of the older games

That's exactly how I reacted to 3D Land/World; they're basically the closest the series has come to making a 2D Mario game in a 3D environment and it's crazy that it took them so long to do it given how simple the formula for it seems. It's like playing the missing link between SMW and Mario 64.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Fryhtaning posted:

Wait, this is your first exposure to FE? Have you been living under a rock, son? Wait til you find out that the formula hasn't changed a whole lot from when the series was on the DS, GBA, Wii, Gamecube...

Awakening is most people's first exposure to FE

Evil Robot
May 20, 2001
Universally hated.
Grimey Drawer
Ugh, due to this whole 3DS shortage I have to wait 2 weeks to join you guys in Mario/Zelda paradise :(. Hurry up Walmart...

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Evil Robot posted:

Ugh, due to this whole 3DS shortage I have to wait 2 weeks to join you guys in Mario/Zelda paradise :(. Hurry up Walmart...

You could always pay someone $5 and some jerky to get you one.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Etrips posted:

You could always pay someone $5 and some jerky to get you one.

Or just suck a dick you loving human being.

night slime
May 14, 2014

Variable_H posted:

Or just suck a dick you loving human being.

mmpf

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

There is a point where a joke stops being funny, and I think we are past that point

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > New Nintendo 3DS Chat: Goons practicing sucking

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Saagonsa posted:

There is a point where a joke stops being funny, and I think we are past that point

Disagree

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Saagonsa posted:

Incorrect

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

corn in the bible posted:

there's pokemon mystery dungeon

There's an Etrian Mystery Dungeon out/coming out soon, too!

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Pablo Gigante posted:

Fun fact: The Wii actually does not have a native Home menu. The Home menu is hard-coded into every single Wii game separately.

It explains why some games have super laggy Home menus, some have stretched Home menus, some have a screenshot of the game in the background, others just have black, and so on. It was just such a freekin weird way to do it.

Edit: Going more into it, Wii games had no access to any kind of alway-running system level stuff. Whenever a new feature was introduced on the Wii's OS, old games were completely unable to take advantage. Like when SDHC support was added, existing games still couldnt read SDHC cards.

Gutcruncher fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Feb 21, 2015

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The wii and the ds both had goofy per-game system implementations like that. Each ds game had its own complete networking stack on the cart, there was no system-wide networking to take advantage of.

That must have been how nintendo did it last gen.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
I hate that Nintendo added the Theme Shuffle thing. Now I actually buy themes and that angers me.

Party Miser
Apr 1, 2011

Saagonsa posted:

I think you just need to calm down and practice using a screwdriver

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot
Any recommendations for a Pokémon game? I just bought my first 3DS (nuXL) yesterday and I'm not sure if I should err towards the X/Y or OR/AS. There's not much nostalgia value in the Gen 3 remakes as I skipped that gen so the playing field is a little more leveled.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Awakening is most people's first exposure to FE

I'm genuinely interested in why you believe so. FE has been mainstream since the GC and GBA, so that would be similar to saying that Smash Bros on the Wii U is most people's first exposure to SSB. Am I really that old?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Enallyniv posted:

Any recommendations for a Pokémon game? I just bought my first 3DS (nuXL) yesterday and I'm not sure if I should err towards the X/Y or OR/AS. There's not much nostalgia value in the Gen 3 remakes as I skipped that gen so the playing field is a little more leveled.

X/Y's probably the better one to start with if you'd like to ride some nostalgia. You get given your choice of Gen-1 starter a little ways into the game, along with a pretty good spread of previous-gen pokemon mixed in with the new ones.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Enallyniv posted:

Go X or Y then. ORAS derives a lot of enjoyment from nostalgia and aside from that, the Pokemon selection isn't as diverse, the game is ridiculously easy and it still adheres to the old design philosophy where you need to carry like 5 HM moves on you at once.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Fryhtaning posted:

I'm genuinely interested in why you believe so. FE has been mainstream since the GC and GBA, so that would be similar to saying that Smash Bros on the Wii U is most people's first exposure to SSB. Am I really that old?

The series has actually been seeing steadily declining sales (Awakening was actually going to be the last game in the series if it didn't sell over 250k or something like that), and combined with the fact that FE has always been a B-series for Nintendo, it's not surprising at all that most people haven't played most of the series. Shadow Dragon and Radiant Dawn underperformed, we didn't get New Mystery at all, then Awakening gets a huge marketing blitz and the benefit of being the marquee title for the 3DS at the time of its release? Doesn't take a genius to put two and two together there.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
But why there are more Fire Emblem characters in Smash Bros now than Star Fox characters? I was totally unfamiliar with the series until I unlocked Marth in Melee back when.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Because Fire Emblem is good and Star Fox has had like one decent game ever and refuses to die

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Manky posted:

But why there are more Fire Emblem characters in Smash Bros now than Star Fox characters? I was totally unfamiliar with the series until I unlocked Marth in Melee back when.

Well that's when I discovered the series.

Who the gently caress are these guys? Oh there's a GameCube game of it coming out...holy shot this is amazing!

But even if you were playing Melee back then you might have just thought it was some Japan Sword dude, who cares.

Everyone play Fire Emblem if you haven't what's wrong with you its amazing.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Manky posted:

all the star fox characters are identical and they shouldnt add any more

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

That's not true. Slippy is a frog.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Help Im Alive posted:

Because Fire Emblem is good and Star Fox has had like one decent game ever and refuses to die

You're not wrong. But it only makes me want a proper sequel more.

Tbh I've tried multiple times to get into the GBA FEs and never could because they weren't FFTA, so I'd just go beat FFTA again instead.

forpush
Jan 6, 2006

We don't like it when the city light start fading
When the city lights fading then we can't get down
Nintendo apparently requires me to have some sort of a mechanical engineering degree to change the SD card in my N3DS but I successfully installed a new one yesterday thanks to the support of the goons in this thread, thanks guys.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Manky posted:

Because they like anime people more.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
also theres been, what, four starfox games ever?

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Manky posted:

Tbh I've tried multiple times to get into the GBA FEs and never could because they weren't FFTA, so I'd just go beat FFTA again instead.

I'm the same. I am still waiting for a new grid tactics game where I have a handful of characters that have changing jobs with large skillsets, status effects, etc., rather than FE where it's pick a weapon or spell or two to whittle down the enemy on boring battlefields.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Ragequit posted:

I'm the same. I am still waiting for a new grid tactics game where I have a handful of characters that have changing jobs with large skillsets, status effects, etc., rather than FE where it's pick a weapon or spell or two to whittle down the enemy on boring battlefields.

The newest FE has characters that have different classes and large skillsets based on them. :v: There are also status effects but they're probably not what you're looking for and it's still largely FE.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

ChaosArgate posted:

The newest FE has characters that have different classes and large skillsets based on them. :v: There are also status effects but they're probably not what you're looking for and it's still largely FE.

I played the newest (if you are referring to Awakening) and it didn't grab me at all. The "skills" were things like "chance to not lose weapon durability" and ""+10% damage for whatever" were they not? The only variance in attacks were the weapons you equipped.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Ragequit posted:

I picked up that Devil Survivor Overclocked game not knowing much about it and it scratches that FFTA itch surprisingly well.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Dear Livejournal,

I've had more fun with my 3DS in 4 days than I had with my PS4 in 6 months.

Love,
Marty

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Miser
Apr 1, 2011

fruitpunch posted:

Nintendo apparently requires me to have some sort of a mechanical engineering degree to change the SD card in my N3DS but I successfully installed a new one yesterday thanks to the support of the goons in this thread, thanks guys.

Now you're qualified to design rocket ships and suck dicks. Unfortunately NASA is all out of money.