Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

Larry Parrish posted:

unstable I known the converter sucks

Hey its not that bad :(
I put my heart and soul into it. Heck, I still do.

Groogy fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Feb 21, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Groogy posted:

Hey its not that bad :(
I put my heart and soul into it. Heck, I still do.

I know a big part of it is because CK2 doesn't have as detailed of culture as EU4 but it breaks pretty horribly every time anyone uses it :shrug:

At least there's a converter at all though.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
Aaah.

There must be a way to scope to the character controlling the army currently sieging a given ruler's territory, mustn't there? It seems amazingly basic - we can't possibly be restricted to the incredibly unreliable method of scoping through commanders and siege defenders, can we?

I just can't for the life of me find any way to do it.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Strudel Man posted:

Aaah.

There must be a way to scope to the character controlling the army currently sieging a given ruler's territory, mustn't there? It seems amazingly basic - we can't possibly be restricted to the incredibly unreliable method of scoping through commanders and siege defenders, can we?

I just can't for the life of me find any way to do it.

Assuming you're not in Ironman...

Open the console, type 'charinfo'.

Find the guy controlling the army your character's in, hover over his portrait, note the charid.

Type 'play ######' for whatever the guy's charid is (NOTE: If he holds a title you're not allowed to play, like a theocracy, or a merchant republic if you don't have The Republic, this will not work and you'll get a Game Over)

Find the army your character is in, remove him from command (or just disband the army)

Type 'play ######' to get back to your own character.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse
As King of Ireland I managed to get my heir married to a somewhat minor Queen who had no children yet. Thought I was being quite clever until I realized that I couldn't switch to Primogeniture succession because I only had medium crown authority and I'd already changed a crown law during my reign. :doh: My current character was a long-lived fellow, too, and my heir was well into his 50s before I finally kicked the bucket.

Now playing as the heir, I found myself in a bit of a mess; one of my vassals was also my rival and absolutely hated me as a result, and most of the rest didn't care much for me because I was so new. Luckily my rival vassal's spymaster thought I was a cool dude and was happy to help me murder the guy, but despite the fact that the vassal was an infamous carouser, the rear end in a top hat wouldn't drink any of the gallons upon gallons of poisoned wine we snuck into his feasts over the course of the next few months. We finally got him with a venemous snake in his bed, but I got found out, which made all my vassals dislike me more and also turned the guy's heir into my rival as well. Luckily the spymaster was still in my camp, and quickly procured yet another snake to take care of the heir. Somehow they didn't figure out I was behind this one, despite knowing I'd offed the guy's dad the exact same way a couple months before, and I finally had a vassal who didn't hate me.

While I was loving around murdering people and buying off or imprisoning all the other vassals who kept forming factions and plotting against me, the Swedish dude ruling Orkney randomly decided to invade me, followed quickly by a couple of random adventurers. Thankfully I still had a ton of gold I'd saved up while playing as my dad, so I was able to hire enough mercs to hold off the Orkney invaders and the first adventurer. I thought things were going well until the king of Scotland, who had actually helped me repel the Orkney invasion, suddenly declared war on me over one of my counties. Luckily he was only at about half strength thanks to having been constantly fighting wars for the last several years, and I still had plenty of gold for mercs. Lost a battle or two that I wasn't quite prepared for, but finally managed to beat him down enough to force a white peace and also fend off the second adventurer's forces (which gave me enough gold to keep the mercs fighting in Scotland happy).

By the time that was all over, I'd been ruling long enough that most of my vassals were no longer that unhappy with me, and with some strategic bribes I was able to push through High Crown Authority and then make everyone like me enough to change succession. So now my heir is set to inherit both my kingdom and one of my wife's titles. :toot:

Unfortunately, one other side effect of my marriage was that my current character and all of my kids ended up in my wife's court and I wasn't able to choose their tutors or their wives, so most of them were educated by mediocre priests and are married to random courtiers with terrible stats. The next couple of successions are going to be rough ones without the ridiculously high personal diplomacy that I managed to cultivate on my last few rulers. :ohdear:

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I've actually managed to solve one of the problems I've had with the game, namely that Ironman has the potential to gently caress up horribly, and if I'm not playing Ironman, I have too little will to resist just console-imprisoning every ruler I go to war with. So I resolved: Only cheat to make other parts of the world more interesting, not my own. I'm playing Pictland, and so far I've given every member of the Abbasid dynasty Decadent, then stuffed the caliph into the dungeon of the guy leading the next revolt. I also gave the nearly-extinct Zunbils a duchy and several claims in India so they could avoid the Abbasid blob (Or whichever blob arises next) for a while longer. A little closer to home, I threw the king of Middle Francia into the dungeon of a Cathar uprising.

For my own efforts, I seem to be doing well. I've got all de jure Scotland, Orkney, and the northern duchy in Ireland so far, and I'm trying to marry or cuckold my way into claims for other parts of Britannia, but I don't quite know how to go about it. My current ruler is married to the countess of some province down in the -sexes, and two of my heirs are married to duchesses. I can tell that as soon as my wife dies, I get her county, but she hates me since I seduced my way through Northumbria and Connacht. :blush: Considering she's got around 20 intrigue, it's sort of a race to see who can assassinate me first.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
This game is amazing. I cucked the King of Scotland. He found out about it, I acknowledged my bastard, and then half of Scotland revolted.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Has there ever been any noise from paradox about making succession laws moddable so we can edit existing ones or add in new ones?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Gough Suppressant posted:

Has there ever been any noise from paradox about making succession laws moddable so we can edit existing ones or add in new ones?

Do you mean the laws or the actual mechanics behind determining a successor? You can already change the way the laws themselves work, in the sense of when you're allowed to use them, but the mechanics themselves are hard-coded and I don't really see that changing any time in the future. If they were to make that kind of thing moddable, they'd basically have to develop a kind of scripting format that would describe how a valid successor would be determined, and it would probably get pretty complex given the ones that aren't bloodline based like Papal succession or the Doge elections. Plus there's a few hard-coded cases that exist because of other gameplay factors (like how Merchant Republics only allow agnatic succession, because of the difficulty in figuring out what to do if two Patricians were to get married).

It's all solvable problems, but I think it's the kind of thing they probably figure is more trouble than it's worth. The existing mechanics are already pretty flexible and they do usually add 1-2 new ones with each DLC expansion.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Gough Suppressant posted:

IIRC there was some months back, not sure if there's been any progress on that.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Ok a related note, someone in the last few pages mentioned they consoled into playing as either a landed mercenary or holy order and went through open succession a few times while maintaining the title across unrelated characters. Does this mean open elective titles are now playable?

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I wonder if we're ever going to get noble republics in CK2. I guess it'd work similar to a merchant republic where the current ruler inherits the titular title and gets all those powers, but otherwise his regular vassals just keep on keeping on. Maybe it's just more trouble than it's worth, I dunno.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Eric the Mauve posted:

Assuming you're not in Ironman...
No, sorry, I mean with events, modding. Hence my talk of 'scoping' - anything a command can act upon (a character, a title, an ongoing siege) is a 'scope,' and you often have to kind of 'jump' from one related scope to another in order to reach the intended target of your effects. I've been working on the birthright mod which was posted here a while ago; one of the characteristics is that it has a scattering of these powerful individual characters who are lords of their own (usually rather small) domain. Because of how CK2 works in general, these small realms tend to get almost immediately swallowed up by their larger neighbors; I'm working on (well, improving, now) a system to allow them to duel the leaders of the siege force in order to win wars directed at them.

Unfortunately, the tools I have to do this appear to be...rather crude, at best.

Strudel Man fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Feb 21, 2015

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

A dude on the Paradox forums is working on a vanilla province redraw map, and it actually looks sensible

that's what he's done so far. he's including india, it's just not on that screenshot. the only weird thing so far is the inclusion of vinland as terra incognita for some reason and the projection is probably off-putting to some, but the rest is pretty great. it's even better that he's not adding any new provinces and is just using the vanilla amount, so it's probably worth keeping an eye on

Hefty Leftist fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Feb 21, 2015

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.
I'd hope he'd add coastal provinces to West Africa, it would go a long way to make them relevant as something besides pagans for the Muslims to holy war if they need some quick decadence drops/somewhere to send a crappy court imam to die. I think that it is wise though overall to not add provinces, then you end up with 5000 tiny specks of land as the Netherlands or other spergery.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

How do I unconnect another army from my own so i can go raiding?

Anou
May 29, 2006
Hello there!
Anyone know what determines which vassals get the event to break away if you're over vassal cap? I have a couple of Kings that I want to revoke and turn into Viceroys so if I could force them to break away so I could get a claim it'd be nice.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

Baron Porkface posted:

How do I unconnect another army from my own so i can go raiding?

Select the army and look for the two arrows button. If your army is only one levy big it will be grayed out though

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Okay, so you can now play as open elective as mercenaries or holy orders without a game over using the console, even if unlanded. Mercenaries which are unlanded gain a kingdom or duchy level cassus belli against anyone they choose, can raise their own mercenary army for free but still pay upkeep. Whoever your successor is counts as your dynasty for the purpose of not ending the game(even if the tooltip warning up the top of the screen says you will lose).

Holy orders pay no gold to either raise or upkeep their own holy order but don't seem to get special cassus belli so seem to rely largely on holy wars which seems fitting.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Does that mean that in the upcoming legend-themed DLC we'll be able to roll a party and travel across Europe looking for gargoyles coming to life?

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

ThePutty posted:

A dude on the Paradox forums is working on a vanilla province redraw map, and it actually looks sensible

that's what he's done so far. he's including india, it's just not on that screenshot. the only weird thing so far is the inclusion of vinland as terra incognita for some reason and the projection is probably off-putting to some, but the rest is pretty great. it's even better that he's not adding any new provinces and is just using the vanilla amount, so it's probably worth keeping an eye on

What's the appeal here? He's just making the existing provinces different shapes? Not trying to be snarky, this just seems like a ton of effort that wouldn't have much effect on gameplay.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Bold Robot posted:

What's the appeal here? He's just making the existing provinces different shapes? Not trying to be snarky, this just seems like a ton of effort that wouldn't have much effect on gameplay.

Yeah, I can appreciate the core concept, but the real effect is going to be the complete impossibility of pretty borders.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
I still think Paradox games should just move to 3d globes. If you limited the camera movement correctly it would be the same for the player. It would end all projection complaints forever (and look cool). HOI4 in particular with the day night cycle REALLY should have done this.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

He didn't even bring back EU1/2 East Prussia, King of the Pretty Borders.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Shaman Ooglaboogla posted:

...West Africa... ...somewhere to send a crappy court imam to die...

:aaa: How did I never think of that? I've just been impotently swearing at my 5-learning imams who have no chance of even stamping out a Catholic heresy in my glorious sultanate.

In unrelated news, I've been kicking around an idea for a mod, but I don't know if one of the things I want to do in it is possible. Basically, I want a significant portion of rulers to have a trait that seriously lowers the opinion of everybody except for those with a different trait, who instead get a large opinion bonus.

I'm trying to (lightly at first and probably in the wrong game) model the world of Girl Genius, where a number of rulers are mad scientists, hated or feared by the populace, but beloved by minions.

e: Can anyone advise me on that?

Dareon fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Feb 21, 2015

Athaboros
Mar 11, 2007

Hundreds and Thousands!

So I've been playing again after picking up Charlemagne for 75% off in the last sale -- started as the Norse Jarl of the Isle of Mann and became King of Irland and Skotland....after which it all promptly fell apart because of Gavelkind and my allies all converting to Catholicism.

Is reforming the faith the only way that you can get Norse rulers to go Feudal and get out of forced Gavelkind? If so, ugh...that seems like a chore.

Also, which are the new "goon-approved" mods? Last I played, it was CK2+, but that was when Wiz was in charge of it, so I'm not sure how much has changed since then.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Athaboros posted:

So I've been playing again after picking up Charlemagne for 75% off in the last sale -- started as the Norse Jarl of the Isle of Mann and became King of Irland and Skotland....after which it all promptly fell apart because of Gavelkind and my allies all converting to Catholicism.

Is reforming the faith the only way that you can get Norse rulers to go Feudal and get out of forced Gavelkind? If so, ugh...that seems like a chore.

Also, which are the new "goon-approved" mods? Last I played, it was CK2+, but that was when Wiz was in charge of it, so I'm not sure how much has changed since then.

I tend to play with HIP, which is basically a huge modbundle with a custom installer - don't use SWMH if you install it, and be forewarned that if you install the VIET event pack some of the events there are a little questionable. I lost four prestige because my dick was hanging out of my pants. But it lets you gently caress around with the opening scenario - want to reduce the whole world to de jure duchies and see what happens? GO FOR IT! Want to only do it to Catholics? NO PROBLEM! Want to have giant Muslim de jure kingdoms with everyone else ruling single counties? A THING YOU CAN DO! Want to reroll stats for the entire world before you begin? SURE, and you can choose if it applies to your ruler! Feel like letting your dick hang out? UH OH!

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

I'm curious, why can't you usurp a title from someone at war? Was it to close an exploit?

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Arbite posted:

I'm curious, why can't you usurp a title from someone at war? Was it to close an exploit?

I'm gonna guess that it would gently caress poo poo up, since I'm pretty sure wars are tied to a particular title.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

You guys do know that you could play as mercenaries ever since Old Gods came out, right? Specifically as Varangian Guard.

Start the game in 1066 (don't know about other start dates, didn't test it)
Save the game
Load the game and choose to play as Varangian Guard, who are vassals under Byzantine Emperor (i.e. click the emperor, then choose varangians from a list of his vassals)

It probably works for any other vassalised mercenary or holy order, I dunno I didn't play this game for a very long time. Just opened it to take this screenshot.

EDIT: Nope, even before Old Gods. It's probably in game since the beginning.

fuck off Batman fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Feb 21, 2015

Jaramin
Oct 20, 2010

Dareon posted:

:aaa: How did I never think of that? I've just been impotently swearing at my 5-learning imams who have no chance of even stamping out a Catholic heresy in my glorious sultanate.

In unrelated news, I've been kicking around an idea for a mod, but I don't know if one of the things I want to do in it is possible. Basically, I want a significant portion of rulers to have a trait that seriously lowers the opinion of everybody except for those with a different trait, who instead get a large opinion bonus.

I'm trying to (lightly at first and probably in the wrong game) model the world of Girl Genius, where a number of rulers are mad scientists, hated or feared by the populace, but beloved by minions.

e: Can anyone advise me on that?

This is totally possible. When you're writing the trait you need to add a general_opinion = -50 (or whatever) and you can add an opposite_trait_opinion = 100 (once again, whatever you want) to do exactly what you want. You'll need to define the traits as opposites in their respective files but that's easy.

I don't know if it's the MOST elegant way to do what you want, but it will work.

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

If I raise all my troops and they're all wiped out, how long is it going to take for them to get back to max levels at base rate, is this stated anywhere?

OneTwentySix fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Feb 21, 2015

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

How do I know what the "traditional capital" of a title is?

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Baron Porkface posted:

It's almost always the one with the most holding slots.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

Baron Porkface posted:

When you click on the title's shield your view should centre on the capital province.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only

Baron Porkface posted:

When you click on the title shield it takes you to the title screen where you can see what de-jure and de-facto titles are beneath it. It will also center your screen on the capital.

You can also enter the de-jure duchies/kingdoms/empires map mode, and when you hover your mouse over a county, if it is the capital of the duchy/kingdom/empire it will say so in the tooltip.

This gets interesting when the capital is not inside the de-jure borders, which can happen from de-jure drift in kingdoms or empires, or in the case of one duchy in india: a typo causes the capital to be a county in a neighbouring duchy.

beefart
Jul 5, 2007

IT'S ON THE HOUSE OF AMON
~grandmaaaaaaa~
Just tried out EMF for the first time and holy poo poo, Bless With Luck is the tits. I blessed Erik the Heathen in a 1066 start and he successfully deposed Stenkil even after fighting the combined forces of Catholic Scandinavia. Then he declared a prepared invasion for Denmark three years later and won that too :stare:

Also Sunnis just won a Jihad for Sicily and a Mande courtier of the Kingdom of Ghana took the land. Looks like I've found my next lucky ruler :getin:

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Thanks, game, for telling me that Viceroyals get a 20% levy penalty anywhere besides hidden away in the military tab.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!
Finally managed to reform the Zun faith after just barely outrunning the expiring county conquests.

The cost was too high, though. My borders... :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Bold Robot posted:

It's more of a base thing, from what I can tell. Get the basic provinces to fit on a more realistic projection with more realistic shapes, then people can mod off that.

• Locked thread