Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Martytoof posted:

Dear Livejournal,

I've had more fun with my 3DS in 4 days than I had with my PS4 in 6 months.

Love,
Marty
3DS and WiiU are the best

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

irlZaphod posted:

3DS and WiiU are the best

Seriously thinking about getting a WiiU now.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Look what you all started.

"Hold on to your skinny jeans! JNCO is back"

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Fryhtaning posted:

I'm genuinely interested in why you believe so. FE has been mainstream since the GC and GBA, so that would be similar to saying that Smash Bros on the Wii U is most people's first exposure to SSB. Am I really that old?
There's an interview out there of the devs stating they were on the verge of closing up the series because of bad sales. So they built a game with everyone's ideas smashed together, including ways to get new players into the series. They wanted a game that appealed to their old market as well and that is why FEA is what is with all the DLC that it has. Post release interviews confirms this was a success.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Martytoof posted:

Dear Livejournal,

I've had more fun with my 3DS in 4 days than I had with my PS4 in 6 months.

Love,
Marty
Been playing the poo poo out of 3DS since last Friday, M&L Dream Team is a lot of fun, Super Mario 3D Land is amazing and SMTIV is good but it's seriously kicking my rear end just in the first training dungeon. Any tips?

Martytoof posted:

Do it!

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Ragequit posted:

I'm the same. I am still waiting for a new grid tactics game where I have a handful of characters that have changing jobs with large skillsets, status effects, etc., rather than FE where it's pick a weapon or spell or two to whittle down the enemy on boring battlefields.

It really is depressing that :downswords: :downs: :newlol: :newfap: games like Candy Crush are the ones making a killing these days while we we're living in a decline of good strategy games like FFT, FE, and Advance Wars. At least SMT and EO are still going, but even the next EO is dumbed-down. I don't know if what that says about the future of gaming or what that says about the intelligence of people these days is sadder.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Any particular reason that people know of that would lead to the Club Nintendo site being down again? I found a stack of 3DS code slips last night and wanted to see if I had any unredeemed ones (and realized that I had yet to redeem the code from my Smash Bros XL) but the site is kaput.

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Feb 21, 2015

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Rascyc posted:

There's an interview out there of the devs stating they were on the verge of closing up the series because of bad sales. So they built a game with everyone's ideas smashed together, including ways to get new players into the series. They wanted a game that appealed to their old market as well and that is why FEA is what is with all the DLC that it has. Post release interviews confirms this was a success.

Appealing to everyone makes everyone buy your game. NEWS AT 11.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Martytoof posted:

Stop thinking and just buy one. Rainbow Curse just came out too.

Merv Burger
Jan 3, 2008

Martytoof posted:

I'm in the same boat since I got the new 3DS. My Xbox 360 has gone unused since I built a new desktop towards the end of last year and now I'm seriously thinking about getting rid of it and buying a Wii U.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Merv Burger posted:

I'm in the same boat since I got the new 3DS. My Xbox 360 has gone unused since I built a new desktop towards the end of last year and now I'm seriously thinking about getting rid of it and buying a Wii U.

Wiiu is awesome and you can get 90% or other Console experience on pc. Wiiu is its own thing like the 3ds and is a good system.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yeah, I just went out and bought a WiiU. Thanks for the peer pressure, jerks :mad:

But all joking aside, I bought the 3DS because the whimsical games are really what I want a console for. I can play Battlefield and Planetside2 or whatever shooters on the PC I already have. I can't play Zelda or Mario on my desktop. My PS4 is basically going to go unused until Uncharted 4 comes out :sigh:

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Feb 21, 2015

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

peer pressure is good, it turns out

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Martytoof posted:

Yeah, I just went out and bought a WiiU. Thanks for the peer pressure, jerks :mad:

I know I pushed Rainbow Curse earlier, but you might want to get another/different game as your first. Rainbow Curse is fun, relaxing, and difficult at times, but it's played entirely on the Gamepad and devoid if any progressional story (like all Kirby games). Get 3D World, then work from there.

Also, join us in the Wii U thread. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3658946

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Martytoof posted:

I'm super excited for you! I have kids so ymmv, but my WiiU is used literally every day. Plus new Zelda soon. Plus hyrule warriors is the best Dynasty warriors game ever made. Plus all of it. You are in for a treat.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Does anyone actually own this? What does it look like on the n3DS?

I'm trying to get something that makes the bottom side of the 3DS look more flush for aspy reasons.

e: Found it on eBay Looks good. http://www.ebay.com/itm/CYBER-Push-Guard-Black-for-NEW-Nintendo-3DS-LL-XL-/161604900969?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item25a0671869

noirstronaut fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Feb 21, 2015

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Bombadilillo posted:

I'm super excited for you! I have kids so ymmv, but my WiiU is used literally every day. Plus new Zelda soon. Plus hyrule warriors is the best Dynasty warriors game ever made. Plus all of it. You are in for a treat.

That's why I am considering one as well. My 3 and 5 year old are becoming pretty skilled at using tablets, so I might bump them to the big leagues soon. Plus a third boy is on the way, so may as well start early.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

noirstronaut posted:

Does anyone actually own this? What does it look like on the n3DS?

I'm trying to get something that makes the bottom side of the 3DS look more flush for aspy reasons.

e: Found it on eBay Looks good. http://www.ebay.com/itm/CYBER-Push-Guard-Black-for-NEW-Nintendo-3DS-LL-XL-/161604900969?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item25a0671869

$23 for a plastic cover to go over your games? Wow, what a rip.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Martytoof posted:

But all joking aside, I bought the 3DS because the whimsical games are really what I want a console for. I can play Battlefield and Planetside2 or whatever shooters on the PC I already have. I can't play Zelda or Mario on my desktop. My PS4 is basically going to go unused until Uncharted 4 comes out :sigh:

The PS4 is literally an underpowered PC except is has no games. Just sell it or throw it in the garbage where it belongs.

Glad to hear about the Wii U. Enjoy some of the best video games in existence that you can not purchase on any other device. :)

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

The PS4 is literally an underpowered PC except is has no games.

Can't you say anything from the PS2 era up has just been an underpowered PC at its time of coming out?

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
So this is going to sounds dumb, but how do you buy games digitally?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Etrips posted:

So this is going to sounds dumb, but how do you buy games digitally?

Fire up the eStore and buy your games there. They just DL to your 3DS.

e: estore eshop whatever

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Fuzz posted:

$23 for a plastic cover to go over your games? Wow, what a rip.

Um, excuse me, it's metal.

But yeah, I don't agree with the price either considering it's probably the equivalent of $5 in Japan.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

23 bucks? Which emote's the one where :psyduck: is popping dollar signs out?

There's probably games cheaper than that, that are worth playing (or that you already have, making them 23 bucks cheaper) and that cyber clip thing really doesn't make it look significantly less "there's a game card slot here".

EDIT: Oh, it goes over the game. It's still senseless.

LSC
Apr 17, 2006

So will I need to get the new 3DS to play John Cenablade Chronicles when it comes out?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

John Rawl Tahd posted:

So will I need to get the new 3DS to play John Cenablade Chronicles when it comes out?

Yes. Just for that game you need to buy a New 3DS.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
Also for router settings, I need to have WEP and not WPA correct?

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Etrips posted:

Please don't ever use WEP

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Etrips posted:

No, WPA is fine. WEP is garbage and the fact that the original DS only supported it was a massive joke.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Has anyone seen any other information on the casing of new 3DS exclusive titles? This article shows them as being cased in black boxes like the original DS games were, but others have them as white ones. I know in Japan select titles are black (no idea why) but what are the chances of this spreading across regions if it is black?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Speaking of things to jam into the game slot: If I plan to basically never buy a physical game, is there a thing I can buy to plug that hole that's made for the NN3DSXL?

I mean I could jam some white bread in there I guess.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Fryhtaning posted:

It really is depressing that :downswords: :downs: :newlol: :newfap: games like Candy Crush are the ones making a killing these days while we we're living in a decline of good strategy games like FFT, FE, and Advance Wars. At least SMT and EO are still going, but even the next EO is dumbed-down. I don't know if what that says about the future of gaming or what that says about the intelligence of people these days is sadder.

Are you talking about EO Mystery Dungeon? That's a spinoff and it's a Mystery Dungeon game so of course it's gonna be dumbed down and not very good. Then there's EO5 which we know basically nothing about (they haven't even confirmed what platform it's coming to, strangely) and EOU2 which will include a story mode like the remake of the first one but doesn't really point to being dumbed down in any way

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Martytoof posted:

Speaking of things to jam into the game slot: If I plan to basically never buy a physical game, is there a thing I can buy to plug that hole that's made for the NN3DSXL?

I mean I could jam some white bread in there I guess.

There are DS games you can buy for a dollar or so that you could put in there.

Speaking of cheap games, you should buy Rhythm Heaven for around $8 and put it in there and then play it because it is amazing. http://www.ebay.com/itm/NINTENDO-DS-NDS-GAME-RHYTHM-HEAVEN-BRAND-NEW-FACTORY-SEALED-/371175045369?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item566bc1b8f9

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

noirstronaut posted:

There are DS games you can buy for a dollar or so that you could put in there.

Literally cheaper than a custom part.

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

Have you figured it out yet?
So if I'm understanding correctly, the New 3DS XL is bigger than my old, first-gen 3DS (ambassador over here) yet uses a smaller SD card? ...Any reason why this is? Like is MicroSD just the better format, or what? It makes zero sense to me that I need to get a smaller SD card for this thing.

So will everything I have on my SD card in my regular 3DS transfer over if I do a system transfer, or does it only transfer stuff saved directly onto the device?

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

BlackFrost posted:

So if I'm understanding correctly, the New 3DS XL is bigger than my old, first-gen 3DS (ambassador over here) yet uses a smaller SD card? ...Any reason why this is? Like is MicroSD just the better format, or what? It makes zero sense to me that I need to get a smaller SD card for this thing.

So will everything I have on my SD card in my regular 3DS transfer over if I do a system transfer, or does it only transfer stuff saved directly onto the device?

You can choose to transfer over things on your SD card to the new microSD when doing a system transfer but it takes rear end long and it's easier to do it through a computer. However, if you don't have an SD card reader, it makes sense. After that, it transfers over licenses and stuff that makes everything on the SD card playable.

Also, I think MicroSD is better or more widely used now or something of that measure. I don't know for certain.

IRSmurf
Mar 27, 2010

Bombadilillo posted:

FYI best buy has monster hunter copies with a 10 gift card bonus for sale shipped to you.

With GCU that's 22$ effectively.

They've been out of stock since launch day. If it's not in-stock in your area, you can't even place an order for one in-store, much less online. I gave up waiting and bought the cart at Gamestop.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

IRSmurf posted:

They've been out of stock since launch day. If it's not in-stock in your area, you can't even place an order for one in-store, much less online. I gave up waiting and bought the cart at Gamestop.

You could yesterday afternoon briefly when I bought one. Sold out and hour later. Already shipped too.

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

Have you figured it out yet?

noirstronaut posted:

You can choose to transfer over things on your SD card to the new microSD when doing a system transfer but it takes rear end long and it's easier to do it through a computer. However, if you don't have an SD card reader, it makes sense. After that, it transfers over licenses and stuff that makes everything on the SD card playable.

Also, I think MicroSD is better or more widely used now or something of that measure. I don't know for certain.

I have a MicroSD card laying around at least. I get why it's more widely used--it can fit into phones, smaller cameras, etc. Just seems weird to change that on the 3DS when a regular-sized SD slot worked fine.

I think I have an SD reader laying around somewhere, too, so at least there's that. Now all I have to do is wait for the New 3DS to actually get in stock somewhere so I can buy it and I'll be good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

BlackFrost posted:

I have a MicroSD card laying around at least. I get why it's more widely used--it can fit into phones, smaller cameras, etc. Just seems weird to change that on the 3DS when a regular-sized SD slot worked fine.

I think I have an SD reader laying around somewhere, too, so at least there's that. Now all I have to do is wait for the New 3DS to actually get in stock somewhere so I can buy it and I'll be good.

Apparently places got a huge shipment of them yesterday, so there's a chance there's about 5 or 6 sitting in your local Walmart.