Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Not that I want to sperg too much on one of my rhetorical points, but how hard do you really think it would be for the Israeli security establishment to crack down on expression on the internet? They have the technology, they just need the cultural shift.

Uh, insanely hard? Pretty sure Israeli Jews value their democracy, even if they don't like Arabs having any. Just like white South Africans. The situation between it and NK or Iran aren't really comparable, neither had ever experienced anything else but total authoritarianism, be it Japanese Empire or the Shah.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

For some Israelis this is important. For a rising elite of religious zealots like Bennett, that's not as important as being a proud Jew. And historically the main reason Israel isn't competing in Asian sports is boycotts. So what did they do when boycotted? They said "fine, we'll go somewhere else". If the Russian angle gains enough traction, maybe Israel competes with Free Eastern Ukraine Republic, Crimea, Russia, Kazakhstan, etc. :shrug:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_recognition_of_the_State_of_Palestine

Once the West (US) is gone, that's it for Israel. Russia and China aren't going to choose it over Iran, Pakistan, Sudan, etc. when it has no advantages to offer them over the entire 1+billion Muslim world.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

As I have repeatedly articulated in this thread and its predecessor, my alternative is many-pronged. It includes removing blanket US support while bolstering EU settlement-targeted sanctions. It includes supporting left-wing parties in Israel, but also centrists who are exposing the monetary cost of the settlement project to the rest of the population, which is severe. The very fact that the settlers need to hide their expenditures from the larger public shows, as did the Disengagement, that in and of themselves, the settlers are not popular among other Israeli Jews. They are parasitic on a sense that the Right is more Secure. In terms of internal politics that is what needs to be fought. It needs to be clear that settlements are not making Israel more secure, quite the contrary.

I am not saying that this is guaranteed to work. But global sanctions and particularly academic and cultural boycotts are an excellent way to push centrists into the right-winger's hands. If you make them feel ashamed to be Israelis, period, while the settlers make them feel proud, who do you think they will choose? Who won in 1980, Reagan or Carter?

Or, it will push center-rightists into the center, and have leftist peace plans sound a lot more attractive, when they realize that they're going to become destitute without the economy of the world engaging with them. The settlers won't make anyone feel proud while the economy is on a free fall and they're complete pariahs. When Reagan won, nobody was about to exclude US from the rest of the world, and nobody ever will. But Israel isn't big enough for that. South Africans didn't suddenly decide to become non-racist overnight, they decided that they value not being dirt poor and their children's future more then keeping the blacks down. International boycotts and sanctions would also make it virtually impossible to subsidize settlements without huge cuts on Israel proper. If settlers weren't popular before, would they really be more popular after the world made it clear they are mostly to blame for making everyone's lives lovely?

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Feb 21, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I have done that before. They are not very effective, but even with the craziness over the summer my friends who have done this have been hit no further than being beaten up a bit. I am looking for other ways because I don't see those demonstrations as having been very effective. Israeli leftists have been cast as antisemitic caricatures, outside of their natural demographics it'll take a lot of work.

Somehow I don't take any comfort in them just being "beaten up a bit." Most bad lawless violence starts with people just being beaten up a bit.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

DarkCrawler posted:

Uh, insanely hard? Pretty sure Israeli Jews value their democracy, even if they don't like Arabs having any. Just like white South Africans. The situation between it and NK or Iran aren't really comparable, neither had ever experienced anything else but total authoritarianism, be it Japanese Empire or the Shah,

They are willing to accept more and more constraints to help stave off those damned Arabs and their leftist sympathizers. You may not see it from the outside, but I can see the sea-change in the last decade or so, if not more.

quote:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_recognition_of_the_State_of_Palestine

Once the West (US) is gone, that's it for Israel. Russia and China aren't going to choose it over Iran, Pakistan, Sudan, etc. when it has no advantages to offer them over the entire 1+billion Muslim world.

A lot of states currently recognize Palestine but trade and work with Israel. What makes you think they really would stop letting Israel into European sports if the US stopped giving Israel support? They might not accept Israeli teams from the West Bank, but that's not the important thing here.

quote:

Or, it will push center-rightists into the center, and have leftist peace plans sound a lot more attractive, when they realize that they're going to become destitute without the economy of the world engaging with them.

Yeah. For that to happen, though, people who they respect must show them that this is the case, rather than them dismissing it as antisemitic propaganda.

quote:

The settlers won't make anyone feel proud while the economy is on a free fall and they're complete pariahs.

The economy is in free-fall because of those leftist wreckers who have tarnished our name among the gentiles, who hate us anyway. Let us kill them and save Israel!

quote:

When Reagan won, nobody was about to exclude US from the rest of the world, and nobody ever will. But Israel isn't big enough for that. South Africans didn't suddenly decide to become non-racist overnight, they decided that they value not being dirt poor and their children's future more then keeping the blacks down.

Like I said, it was a lot more complicated than that, and this was in a context where they knew they could just leave for Europe and ultimately be treated as fellow Europeans - which a lot of them did. Israeli Jews have been sold and sometimes see evidence that this could never work for them.

quote:

International boycotts and sanctions would also make it virtually impossible to subsidize settlements without huge cuts on Israel proper.

Again, that is why the work of leftists gone center like Stav Shaffir is so important. This exposure will only get legitimacy from Israelis exposing it. I hope we will see the fruits of this soon, either in this election or the next. Outside pressure would never have been enough for this.

quote:

If settlers weren't popular before, would they really be more popular after the world made it clear they are mostly to blame for making everyone's lives lovely?

Only if the other Israelis believe me when I tell them it's because of this and not because of leftist besmirching of Israel's reputation abroad. This is a dynamic situation I'm describing here, and you're talking steady-state. I think that the cultural/sports/academic boycott has made things worse rather than better, and may have counteracted the benefits of a more targeted economic boycott. I think in five to ten years it may not be possible to do anything other than watch Palestinians be slaughtered by the tens, hundreds of thousands, but right now it seems not to be too late yet.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Israel is not south africa. It's like the opening sentence of Anna Karenina you know? Every opressive regime is opressive in its own way, you think that through 'shaming' (whatever that is, I'm not sure inflammatory rhetoric has the same psychological effects as some of you think it does) you can convince an entire nation of people who are sure that the entire world has been out to get them and their ancestors since time immemorial that the people they view as their sworn enemies are actually the true victims and that as soon as they just ease off a bit with the whole apartheid thing everything will rapidly become much better and that they wouldn't have to worry about busses going off anymore? Can you only envision one single outcome to this whole thing?

I agree with Absurd, this determinism and the insistence upon viewing every occurance as being a manifestation of something else that has previously happened seems to me more intellectually lazy than anything else. I do not presume to predict the future or know what's going to happen around here, things could end up way worse for both nations than they are now just as well as they could improve.

I actually agree with this post more than I do with my own which drew comparisons with South Africa. A few thousand years of gentiles excluding, ghettoizing, expelling, demonizing, and frequently slaughtering Jews achieved shockingly little in terms of breaking their -- I don't know what a good phrase is here --ethno-religious character. If Israel became an absolute pariah state I'd almost expect them to attempt an Israeli Juche before yielding to world opinion.

The current system isn't tenable in the long run, and as Stein's Law states, "whatever cannot go on forever must eventually stop." The two state solution seems more and more impractical with every new settlement, so hopefully within a few decades their arises new leadership on both sides that can attempt some kind of ethnic reconciliation. Or maybe a major European or Pacific war breaks out and a lunatic right-wing government finally gets around to ethnically cleansing Judea and Samaria while the rest of the world is distracted. Who knows.

Ultimately, though, I think that it's Israel's own internal contradictions that'll end up forcing the solution, not global opinion, even if that opinion is translated into economic pressure.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

SedanChair posted:

Somehow I don't take any comfort in them just being "beaten up a bit." Most bad lawless violence starts with people just being beaten up a bit.

Well, I may be underselling it. I do have a protest-weary friend who came back from that and said he was really frightened. So maybe it's wise that I am moving back to voting and trying to affect change in other ways.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
Personally, I would say here that foreign politics and perceptions are not the single most important thing in Israeli politics, or even a primary factor. A growing number of Israelis want to ban women and men sitting next to each other in public. Apartheid is not by any means the only policy Israel holds that is distasteful to the first-world. How effective has "being told by the West that they should be ashamed" worked at improving the treatment of women in other Middle Eastern countries - or even, for that matter, in countering the slow decline of women's rights in Israel? And if your answer to that isn't really a positive one, then why do you expect the disapproval of white people to be any more effective at countering racism in Israel than it has been in countering sexism in the Middle East? Israel is not really that similar to South Africa - the I/P issue much more closely mirrors the US vs the Native Americans back in the heyday of Manifest Destiny.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Main Paineframe posted:

Personally, I would say here that foreign politics and perceptions are not the single most important thing in Israeli politics, or even a primary factor. A growing number of Israelis want to ban women and men sitting next to each other in public.

How growing is it? Haredi Jews generally are one of the fastest growing sections of the public, but gender segregation on that level is a minority opinion there, and there have been feminist developments even there. They've been pressing leadership to allow women to be Knesset members, it seems like it may just happen by the elections after the next.

quote:

Apartheid is not by any means the only policy Israel holds that is distasteful to the first-world. How effective has "being told by the West that they should be ashamed" worked at improving the treatment of women in other Middle Eastern countries - or even, for that matter, in countering the slow decline of women's rights in Israel? And if your answer to that isn't really a positive one, then why do you expect the disapproval of white people to be any more effective at countering racism in Israel than it has been in countering sexism in the Middle East? Israel is not really that similar to South Africa - the I/P issue much more closely mirrors the US vs the Native Americans back in the heyday of Manifest Destiny.

Manifest Destiny meets the 24-hour News Cycle. Sounds like the premise for an alt-hist novel to me! Or have Steampunk Westerns already covered this ground by now?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Main Paineframe posted:

Personally, I would say here that foreign politics and perceptions are not the single most important thing in Israeli politics, or even a primary factor. A growing number of Israelis want to ban women and men sitting next to each other in public. Apartheid is not by any means the only policy Israel holds that is distasteful to the first-world. How effective has "being told by the West that they should be ashamed" worked at improving the treatment of women in other Middle Eastern countries - or even, for that matter, in countering the slow decline of women's rights in Israel? And if your answer to that isn't really a positive one, then why do you expect the disapproval of white people to be any more effective at countering racism in Israel than it has been in countering sexism in the Middle East? Israel is not really that similar to South Africa - the I/P issue much more closely mirrors the US vs the Native Americans back in the heyday of Manifest Destiny.

Well that's the sad truth of it. Palestinians can become noble figures of resistance once Israel has dispersed and annihilated them completely. One would like to believe that things have changed, but what's changed is it's now a CAT D9 with a pintle mounted GPMG instead of a train car bristling with tourists wielding Sharps buffalo rifles.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

SedanChair posted:

Well that's the sad truth of it. Palestinians can become noble figures of resistance once Israel has dispersed and annihilated them completely. One would like to believe that things have changed, but what's changed is it's now a CAT D9 with a pintle mounted GPMG instead of a train car bristling with tourists wielding Sharps buffalo rifles.

Sometimes I do wonder if there aren't Israelis who deliberately aim at what happened to the Native Americans as a model to be emulated. When Americans are critical of Israel it's often countered that America was a violent settler state that displaced a native population too, and while many Americans are quite sensitive about that these days and it's increasingly viewed as a tragedy and genocide everyone also agrees that it's much too late to do very much about it.

For someone with a long enough view of history, it might look like a workable strategy to be horrible, murderous settlers and destroy a native population, then raise a generation afterward that's critical of and ashamed by that history but welp what can you do what's done is done. Sort of the grand version of a fait accompli, and a good way to get your country accepted back into the fold once the generation bearing direct responsibility disappears. If the Palestinians are sufficiently destroyed, divided into little ghettos and Bantustans, left with no coherent political identity, isolated from each other and eventually dwindling away while Israel flourishes and grows, maybe fifty or a hundred years from now Israelis will sincerely regret their treatment of the Palestinians - now that they can't possibly pose a threat to Israel.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Dolash posted:

Sometimes I do wonder if there aren't Israelis who deliberately aim at what happened to the Native Americans as a model to be emulated. When Americans are critical of Israel it's often countered that America was a violent settler state that displaced a native population too, and while many Americans are quite sensitive about that these days and it's increasingly viewed as a tragedy and genocide everyone also agrees that it's much too late to do very much about it.

For someone with a long enough view of history, it might look like a workable strategy to be horrible, murderous settlers and destroy a native population, then raise a generation afterward that's critical of and ashamed by that history but welp what can you do what's done is done. Sort of the grand version of a fait accompli, and a good way to get your country accepted back into the fold once the generation bearing direct responsibility disappears. If the Palestinians are sufficiently destroyed, divided into little ghettos and Bantustans, left with no coherent political identity, isolated from each other and eventually dwindling away while Israel flourishes and grows, maybe fifty or a hundred years from now Israelis will sincerely regret their treatment of the Palestinians - now that they can't possibly pose a threat to Israel.

This is a very interesting question and I'd love insight from our Israeli posters. During the Gaza conflict Moshe Feiglin MK called for ethnic cleansing in Gaza, but, in American terms, his insane ideas had more in common with the formerly popular idea of sending free blacks back to Africa than with how we Americans treat the indigenous tribes. Paraphrasing from memory, it was "forcibly depopulate Gaza of Palestinians, imprison those we perceive to be enemies, bribe some Arab country or countries to take the rest of the Gazan population, and send them on their way with 'generous' resettlement packages." (Please correct me if I've missed some subtleties; the guy is nuts regardless, so I don't mean to resort to hyperbole.)

So I guess my variant on Dolash's question is, what portion of the Israeli population (or at least electorate) is as extreme as Feiglin or worse?

stereobreadsticks
Feb 28, 2008

Dolash posted:

The big difference, and the reason it's not a workable (if terrible) strategy, is that barring an actual reenactment of the Holocaust the Palestinians aren't going anywhere. The majority of the Native Americans died of newly introduced diseases or starvation rather than direct violence, and while hunger and the kind of diseases that come from poor sanitation are certainly cause for concern in the Palestinian territories they're not likely to result in the kind of catastrophic population drop that happened to the Native Americans.

Later generations of Americans could feel bad about what happened to the Native Americans and deal with the ethical consequences because there simply aren't enough Native Americans left to constitute a threat to the majority's political dominance. Make no mistake, if there were still huge numbers of unassimilated, or even assimilated, Native Americans at best you'd hear the kind of coded hostile language the American right uses against Latinos and African-Americans, and it's entirely possible you'd still hear calls for genocide. I lived in Montana for a couple of years and I have to say that I've never heard more unabashedly racist rhetoric about minorities than I heard from white people up there about Native Americans.

At any rate, as I said, though there are a lot of parallels between the two situations I think it's far from realistic to expect a similar outcome from the I/P situation simply because of the sheer number of Palestinians both in terms of current population and of population growth rates. So barring actual unambiguous genocide the two sides are going to have to learn to live together to a much greater extent than white Americans and Native Americans have had to. Whether that takes the form of two states living side by side or of one secular or binational state is ultimately up to the Israelis and the Palestinians to decide but I will say that the current situation is not sustainable and that every Israeli settlement built in the West Bank makes the two state solution more difficult to achieve. I understand that from an Israeli perspective that may seem like they have to make all the sacrifices in making peace, but that's what happens when you're the one who holds all the power in an unsustainable situation. Eventually you'll have to cede some of it in order to make your situation sustainable.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?
I feel as if it may be worth mentioning that if all of the world's Jews came to Israel, as Bibi wants, there probably isn't space for them in the current borders.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
I don't see why 'there probably isn't', looking at the population density and distribution it looks like 'space' isn't a real problem.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

Disinterested posted:

I feel as if it may be worth mentioning that if all of the world's Jews came to Israel, as Bibi wants, there probably isn't space for them in the current borders.

Are you calculating it using Israel's current size? There's your problem right there.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?
My point is simply that from the point of view of land it can only possibly make the Palestinian situation even more hosed, if that's possible.

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man

stereobreadsticks posted:

I lived in Montana for a couple of years and I have to say that I've never heard more unabashedly racist rhetoric about minorities than I heard from white people up there about Native Americans.

You haven't heard white Alaskans talk about Alaska Natives.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
White House mulls snubbing AIPAC conference in response to Netanyahu's Congress speech!

You done hosed up Bibi. You done hosed up good.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
Of course snubbing in this case still means sending a senior official.

bpower
Feb 19, 2011

Xandu posted:

Of course snubbing in this case still means sending a senior official.

If they really want to send a strong measure the official will stand at the bank and make mean girl faces at each speaker.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

SyHopeful posted:

You haven't heard white Alaskans talk about Alaska Natives.

Skeemos is the weirdest racist term I've ever heard.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
Since we recently discussed the Law of Return, this might be a good time to more closely examine three different details of it that are often glossed over: Jewish immigration, Jewish emigration, and the true status of Law of Return immigrants in Israeli society. And because the thread will go nuts over my post about the first one, I'll cover them in reverse order, from last to first.

As I mentioned before, the Law of Return has much broader conditions for Jewishness than the Chief Rabbinate, leading to the possibility of being considered Jewish for immigration and citizenship purposes, but being considered non-Jewish for everything else. And though I didn't emphasize it, I also mentioned that a massive number of non-Israeli Jews (including myself) do not fit the Chief Rabbinate's restrictive conditions for determining Jewishness. What I didn't talk about, though, is how this actually affects the lives of these people, many of whom have been Jews all their lives but are now being told that they're not Jewish by the official religious authority approved by the same state that allowed them to immigrate based on their Jewishness. How is it to be a Jewish non-Jew in the Jewish state where religion is so important?

Now, before someone says it, because I just know someone's going to say it: I realize that the troubles faced by these "others" in Israel who want to be Jewish but aren't are peanuts compared to the problems of Palestinians in Gaza and the West Bank, who are treated far worse and don't even want to be Jewish. However, this is yet another source of social and political tension in the clusterfuck that is Israeli society, a major manifestation of the conflict between secular and theocratic movements in Israel, and not every post about Israel has to be solely about its mistreatment of Palestinians - there are lots of other social problems and conflicts in Israel which are worth watching or deserve attention too. Besides, it's probably the biggest single controversy about the Law of Return in Israel, surpassing even the issues I'll be covering in my "immigration" post, and the political effects are significant because immigrants from the former Soviet Union are mostly secular and make up 15% to 20% of the Israeli population. You're free to not feel any pity or sympathy for these people if you wish, but I'd appreciate if you at least look at the issue for its possible political effects and how it could influence the Israeli political landscape over the medium-term, rather than just handwaving it away with sarcastic shitposts about how hard the Jews must have it in Israel.

http://forward.com/articles/195883/israeli-jews-who-arent-jewish-in-eyes-of-rabbis-fa/?p=all

quote:

Israeli Jews Who Aren't Jewish in Eyes of Rabbis Face Kafkaesque Conversion Plight
Immigrants Make Aliyah But Rejected by Rabbinate

Not Jewish Enough? Maxim and Alina Serjukov had to move to another town in Israel after a rabbi rejected their efforts to convert.

They live as part of Jewish society in the Jewish state, but the state itself does not consider them Jewish.

For Israel, some 330,000 immigrants, mostly from the former Soviet Union, represent a big assimilation problem and a big political problem, made worse by the fact that the only solution for this largely non-religious group is seen as a religious one. And the remedy lies exclusively in the hands of the country’s state-sponsored Orthodox rabbis, who, under Israeli civil law, have sole authority to determine the Jewish status of the state’s citizens.

Now, the latest effort to address this problem has collapsed, as the Orthodox political party that was key to reform on many other fronts has balked. The religious-Zionist Jewish Home party, a member of the current government coalition, supported recent legislation to draft Haredim, or ultra-Orthodox Jews, for the first time; approved a liberalizing overhaul of marriage procedures, and created a modest dedicated space at the Western Wall for non-Orthodox prayer.

Yet the same party backing these religious reforms — the most progressive passed by any recent Israeli government — appears to have sabotaged a bill to help would-be converts.

That promises to leave the large number of Russian immigrants in Israel who are not considered Jewish under Orthodox religious law in limbo. They came into Israel under an immigration law that permits anyone who can claim one Jewish grandparent to become a citizen. But this large population now faces the disabilities imposed by other laws that use Orthodox religious law to determine one’s status as a Jew. This includes marriage law in Israel, where there is no civil marriage, and only individuals recognized as Jewish under traditional religious law may marry other Jews. Non-Jews wishing to marry Jews are forced to go abroad to wed, and then apply to have their foreign marriages registered and recognized in Israel. Except for converts, Orthodox religious law considers a Jew to be only someone with a Jewish mother.

The Israeli reality TV star Alin Levy, whose parents were born in the FSU, is the latest prominent person to get caught in this bind. Despite living a Modern Orthodox lifestyle, she cannot marry unless she converts or goes abroad. And as a condition of converting, she claims, the state’s Chief Rabbinate demanded that she abandon her television career.

It is unclear how many Jews from the FSU might be interested in converting. As it is, this overwhelmingly secular population has displayed little enthusiasm to become religiously Jewish, even as they become ever more part of Israel’s secular Jewish society. But today, anybody who wants a state-recognized conversion has to go through the centralized Conversion Authority, whose religious courts have a reputation for being unwelcoming and intimidating. Elazar Stern, a coalition lawmaker from the centrist Hatnuah party, proposed decentralizing the operation and allowing all municipal rabbis to perform conversions.

This would not have diluted the Orthodox standards for conversion; the Chief Rabbinate, which currently supervises the Conversion Authority, oversees all municipal rabbis. But Stern hoped that it would allow prospective converts the freedom to at least choose a rabbi that they find welcoming.

The Jewish Home party initially supported Stern’s bill. But then, just before the Knesset’s Passover recess, the party turned against it. Jewish Home’s switch followed the lead of the Chief Rabbinate, which feared a reduction in day-to-day control of conversion.

“They prefer to strengthen the Chief Rabbinate instead of helping citizens,” Stern’s aide Tani Frank complained in an interview with the Forward.

The bill is currently frozen and seen as having reached a dead end, thanks to the effective veto of Jewish Home politicians in the government. “They fail to understand that there’s a solution and that they may, at some point, have to go against the rabbinate to bring it about,” Frank said.

The most surprising part of the saga is the attitude that drives the rabbinate’s opposition to the reform: It doesn’t trust its own rabbis around the country. Municipal rabbis are the face of the rabbinate to most citizens — the only state rabbis they will ever meet. They are responsible for registering weddings and running religious services in their regions. But there is a “concern” in the Chief Rabbinate that some of them couldn’t be trusted to perform conversions according to proper religious standards, a source in the organization familiar with the topic told the Forward.

The source, who did not have clearance to speak to the media and therefore requested anonymity, said that municipal rabbis currently fulfill functions that are important but “reversible and not so severe according to Halacha,” the Hebrew term for traditional religious law. Conversion, he said, is a different matter.

About 2,000 Israeli citizens convert each year — mostly immigrants from the FSU who are not considered halachically Jewish and their offspring. Yet as a result of births and continued immigration, the number of residents in this demographic group lacking Jewish status increases by more than 5,000 people annually.

According to Seth Farber, an Orthodox rabbi who directs ITIM, an advocacy group for converts and prospective converts, this growth poses challenges to the assimilation of these immigrants for which Israel doesn’t have answers.

In a letter Farber showed to the Forward, one couple wrote that they had “given up on our dream of a Jewish home in Israel, and as a result halted the conversion process” more than a year after the non-Jewish partner decided to convert.
They blamed the “degrading and arrogant” approach of the conversion court to which they were summoned — one of four run by the Conversion Authority. This included repeated interrogation, they said, as to whether they go to church, despite stating that they don’t. Farber, whose office received the letter, said that there are many converts who do not even get as far as this couple.

Another West European immigrant told the Forward she was told to marry her Jewish fiancé the same day she converted if she wanted a marriage license. The rabbis’ demand stemmed from the fact that the couple were already living together. The rabbis insisted that they should not be in each other’s company unmarried after the conversion, because of stringent religious modesty laws that would now apply to her as a Jew.

As a result, her family members, who live in Europe, couldn’t attend her wedding last summer. The rabbis “said they didn’t care and that we should just bring wine and bourekas [stuffed pastries] and it would be okay,” the woman recalled. “They ruined the best day of my life.”

Her wedding-day conversion was actually her third conversion to Judaism. The woman said that she had undergone a Conservative conversion in Europe and a conversion with the New York Orthodox rabbi Marc Angel, rabbi emeritus of Congregation Shearith Israel, the Spanish and Portuguese Synagogue in Manhattan. Neither of these passed muster with the Israeli rabbinate.

The couple’s unmarried co-habitation provoked harsh comments from the Israeli conversion court, the woman said. Members of the conversion court told them they “live like animals,” she recounted. The process made her feel like a “nonkosher piece of meat,” she said. Though she is now converted and married, she insisted her name not be published, due to the sensitivity of the subject.

While some liberal Orthodox religious-Zionists like Farber argued for Stern’s reform bill, the right wing of the Religious Zionist camp fought it tooth and nail. The influential rabbi Shlomo Aviner, head of Jerusalem’s Ateret Cohanim yeshiva, told the Forward that conversion is just too important to be entrusted to local rabbis. “Each rabbi decides things for his community, but with conversion, you are making decisions for the whole Jewish nation,” he said. “The rabbinate for this is the Chief Rabbinate, and only it should decide.”

http://forward.com/articles/194797/reality-tv-stars-conversion-plight-reveals-orthodo/

quote:

(Haaretz) — The struggle against the ultra-Orthodox grip on Israel’s Chief Rabbinate in issues of personal status in Israel has a new, and very attractive, poster girl. Alin Levy, an Israeli reality TV star, says she has been told she cannot complete the process of converting to Judaism because she is an actress.

Levy blasted into the national consciousness four years ago when she was one of the most popular contestants in the Israeli version of the highly rated reality show sensation “Big Brother.” One of the youngest ever to participate in the show, at age 18, Levy was an audience favorite with her cheerful and ditzy ‘girl-next-door’ persona. Her blonde good looks, of course, didn’t hurt.

After reaching the finals of the show - but not winning - she completed her service in the Israel Defense Forces and kept a high profile - parlaying her celebrity into stints as a television gossip reporter and performer on panel shows. Constantly tracked by paparazzi, she had a high profile in the Tel Aviv social scene, complete with a Kardashian-esque sports star boyfriend.

But a few years ago, she took a deliberate step out of the spotlight. A profile of Levy published in Yedioth Ahronoth newspaper on Friday explained that, at the ripe old age of 23, she decided to change her life and take a more serious direction - to leave her pop culture gigs and immerse herself in Chekhov and Shakespeare at a prestigious acting school. The spread on Levy’s ‘new life’ was illustrated with an artistic photo of Levy lighting Sabbath candles and was headlined with the revelation that she was converting to Judaism.

Levy immigrated to Israel from Ukraine when she was four years old. Her father was Jewish, and though her mother met the legal requirements for immigration to Israel thanks to her Jewish grandfather, she was not considered Jewish according to religious law (halakha), and so neither was Alin. Alin said she had felt Jewish all her life in Israel. It was during her military service that she began to be troubled by that fact that as far as the Chief Rabbinate was concerned, she was not Jewish.

It upset her that she wasn’t ‘officially’ considered a member of the religion, and, according to the interview, she determined to become a full-fledged kosher Jew, she began the procedure for Orthodox conversion, studying Torah three hours each week, dressing modestly, making blessings over her food and began to observe Shabbat. Asked if she might become fully Orthodox in the end, she responded “I can’t rule it out.”

The process is standard operating procedure for secular Israelis who want to complete conversion. In order to do so, they are required to adopt a lifestyle that is far more observant to become Jewish in the eyes of the stringent conversion court.

But for the court supervising Levy’s conversion - it wasn’t enough.

Shortly after the newspaper article appeared, the story broke in the media that Levy had been told she could not continue toward conversion if she insisted on continuing to study acting and working as a performer.

She told the press Sunday that she was shocked by the news that came in a phone call from the rabbi she was studying with toward conversion, who was acting as her liaison to the conversion court. He said he was told by the conversion authority that “An acting career does not go together with the spirit of the religion.”

She said she was rebuffed when she asked to meet with the rabbinate to discuss her case, and so, feeling like she had nothing to lose, she went public with the fact that she had been told that she couldn’t be an actress and a Jew at the same time.

A devastated Levy went on television with her sadness and anger on Sunday, saying that “the whole thing made me feel like damaged goods.”

Levy’s story is far from unusual, says Rabbi Seth Farber, whose organization ITIM helps people navigate Israel’s religious bureaucracy.

“It is a complete absurdity” Farber said, for someone to be rejected as a candidate for a conversion because of choosing a career in acting, but he has seen similar occurences.

“We’ve had people who work as nurses being told they couldn’t convert because their job requires them to work shifts on the Sabbath,” he said. Farber added that he believed her case could be moved through the system with the proper approach and that he hoped she would pursue the issue and wouldn’t give up. Many secular Israelis have done just that - abandoning the conversion process in disgust, or in aminority of cases, converting with Conservative or Reform rabbis although they knew their conversion won’t be recognized by the state authorities.

Whatever the result for Levy, the public awareness stirred up by her plight adds fuel to the fire of dissatisfaction and anger toward the rabbinate in the Israeli public as the gap between the realities of modern Jewish life and their ultra-Orthodox outlook grows wider and wider.

http://www.jpost.com/Israel-News/Po...actively-385121

quote:

The High Court of Justice ruled on Thursday that a rabbinical court was within its rights to retroactively annul a conversion because the convert in question had deceived the court when she said she undertook to observe Jewish law.

The ruling could reopen the wounds of the conversion crisis in 2008 when the Supreme Rabbinical Court upheld a decision of a lower court that invalidated a woman’s conversion because it said she never intended to observe Jewish law when she converted. The ruling endangered the 40,000 conversions conducted under the state-conversion system.

On Thursday, Deputy President of the Supreme Court Justice Miriam Naor, with Justices Esther Hayut and Neal Hendel ruled on a case concerning a woman born in Romania to a Christian family who converted in Israel in the state conversion system. Two years later, the rabbinical court annulled her conversion because, according to the court, doubts had been raised as to the sincerity of the convert when she converted.

She petitioned the High Court saying the rabbinical court did not have the authority to retroactively invalidate her conversion and that its decision violated the principles of natural justice.

The state attorney said the contrary saying the rabbinical court did have the authority to annul the conversion and was justified in doing so.

In its ruling on Thursday, the court said the woman had in fact “changed her lifestyle dramatically a very short while after completing her conversion, so that practically speaking nothing at all was left of her observance of Jewish law that the petitioner accepted upon herself.”

The justices said that when the rabbinical court reached its factual conclusion that its original decision to approve the conversion was made on a fraudulent basis, there was no place for the High Court to revoke the authority of the rabbinical court to annul its own decision.

Naor emphasized howevever that “our ruling is only regarding a conversion that was obtained deceitfully. One cannot take from our ruling that the rabbinical court for conversion has the authority annul conversions in other cases.”

The Hiddush religious freedom lobbying group criticized the decision saying it opened up “a Pandora’s box,” the results of which could be calamitous.

Hiddush director and Reform rabbi Uri Regev said it would require “extreme detachment from reality not to know that the majority of converts from the immigrant community from the former Soviet Union do this [conversion] without true intent to accept Torah and commandments upon themselves and are forced to promise false promises that they will observe the religious commandments.”

Regev said that following rabbis serving on the conversion courts “who are working under heavy pressure from the haredim, will be able to retroactively annul conversions with the blessing of the High Court of Justice.”

Director of the ITIM religious services advisory body said the ruling was a setback but it would not affect many people.

“The decision associates the conversion courts with the civil courts, a comparison that is specious at best,” Seth Farber said.

“The major flaw in the decision is that it says that someones behavior following a conversion is grounds for determining ones sincerity, but it does not give a timeline for evaluating behavior. In theory, a court could undermine a conversion years later. This is against normative practice in Jewish law and Jewish tradition. ITIM will work in the coming Knesset to make sure that converts rights are fully protected.”

Also, while neither article explicitly mentions it, there does seem to be some unspoken influence of sexism in this issue too, because it sticks out to me that every example of people being abused by the conversion courts in these articles are women - a nurse* and an actress both being told to quit their jobs, a woman living with her fiance being called an "animal" and forced to marry immediately, and a woman having her Jewishness revoked two years after conversion because of supposed lifestyle changes. Since I very much doubt that the rabbinical courts would have any objection to a male doctor working on weekends (there's a specific exception in Jewish law for life-saving work, in fact), and the second article reminds me very much of Haredi opposition to female actresses, I wonder if that isn't just a coincidence.

*yes, I know there's male nurses too, but nursing is still an overwhelmingly female-dominated profession so I'm going to go ahead and make assumptions about the nurse's gender anyway to better fit my preconceived notions

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
If these people want to marry without quitting their job, they should just say "gently caress it" and emigrate to Western Europe.

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man

Volkerball posted:

Skeemos is the weirdest racist term I've ever heard.

I've actually never heard it, is it commonly used in reference to Alaska Natives?

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

quote:

This includes marriage law in Israel, where there is no civil marriage, and only individuals recognized as Jewish under traditional religious law may marry other Jews. Non-Jews wishing to marry Jews are forced to go abroad to wed, and then apply to have their foreign marriages registered and recognized in Israel.

How does the law treat the marriage of two (non-Jewish) Arab Israelis?

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Cat Mattress posted:

If these people want to marry without quitting their job, they should just say "gently caress it" and emigrate to Western Europe.

What is emigration from Israel like, anyway? I'd be curious if there's an effect where Israelis dissatisfied with the political situation tend to leave, resulting in an increasing concentration of hardened sentiment left behind.

While we're at it, how is emigration for Palestinians and Israeli Arabs handled? I've certainly heard right-wing Israeli politicians talk about encouraging emigration of 'undesirables', I'd expect at minimum Israel would probably make it easy and painless if it means the person in question was giving up any right to return or dual-citizenship (if Palestinian citizenship is even recognized?).

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

My eye is twitching a bit right now. Thanks.

If anyone is wondering why I come off a bit r/atheism sometimes - well, I'm actually living a country where a great many public institution are under the control of these people, and may more are currently in the process of being taken over by them.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Jack of Hearts posted:

As long as they are married by one of the established religious authorities, which include Sunni Islam, Druze, Catholicism, Greek Orthodox Christianity, and several others, then they're fine. Otherwise, they are in the same state as a Jew and a Muslim, or a Jew and someone who is lacking proper religious affiliation.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
For all the Native American talk, that would seem to be contradicted by the South Africa talk. They can't both be driven to near extinction living on reservations and so numerous that they overwhelm Israel.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Jack of Hearts posted:

If they're both the same religion, then there's (usually) no problem; if it's an interfaith marriage, then they'll probably have to go abroad. Only marriages performed and approved by an official state-recognized religious authority, or marriages performed abroad, are recognized in Israel. That means that if you're Catholic, you can't get married unless the official state-recognized Catholic authorities in Israel approve your marriage; if you're Muslim, you can't get married unless the official state-recognized Muslim authorities approve your marriage, and so on and so forth. Altogether, there's about a dozen state-recognized religious authorities in Israel - the Orthodox Judaism Chief Rabbinate, the Muslim religious authorities, the Druze religious authorities, and nine Christian church sects. If you don't belong to one of those religious communities, or if you can't get your community's leadership to sign off on your marriage, then you have to leave the country to get married. There's no legal ban on interfaith marriages, but every single one of the religious authorities recognized by the Israeli state refuses to perform interfaith marriages, so the system amounts to a de facto ban.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Jack of Hearts posted:

I'd almost expect them to attempt an Israeli Juche before yielding to world opinion.

You mean Jew-che? :haw:

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Feb 21, 2015

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

^^i love you

Main Paineframe posted:

If they're both the same religion, then there's (usually) no problem; if it's an interfaith marriage, then they'll probably have to go abroad. Only marriages performed and approved by an official state-recognized religious authority, or marriages performed abroad, are recognized in Israel. That means that if you're Catholic, you can't get married unless the official state-recognized Catholic authorities in Israel approve your marriage; if you're Muslim, you can't get married unless the official state-recognized Muslim authorities approve your marriage, and so on and so forth. Altogether, there's about a dozen state-recognized religious authorities in Israel - the Orthodox Judaism Chief Rabbinate, the Muslim religious authorities, the Druze religious authorities, and nine Christian church sects. If you don't belong to one of those religious communities, or if you can't get your community's leadership to sign off on your marriage, then you have to leave the country to get married. There's no legal ban on interfaith marriages, but every single one of the religious authorities recognized by the Israeli state refuses to perform interfaith marriages, so the system amounts to a de facto ban.

Is marriage recognised as an economic institution in Israel? I'm asking, 'cos if so, this basically amounts to officially discouraging miscegenation, doesn't it?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

V. Illych L. posted:

Is marriage recognised as an economic institution in Israel? I'm asking, 'cos if so, this basically amounts to officially discouraging miscegenation, doesn't it?

Absolutely.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

LORD OF BUTT posted:

You mean Jew-che? :haw:

:rimshot:

Main Paineframe posted:

And if the two parties are agnostic?

It's remarkable to me that, the fact that I consider myself a reasonably skeptical person, despite the fact that I follow these threads and try to read as much as I can about the conflict, I've still internalized the popular American narrative about Israel being a liberal Western democracy* to the point where this theocratic nonsense is genuinely surprising and disconcerting.

* In a similar sense to the US in the 50s and prior being a LWD; I don't mean this phrase as code for "one of the good guys."

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Jack of Hearts posted:

It doesn't quite have to do with your faith, it is a matter of religious affiliation. If you don't have any, you cannot legally marry. Even a lapsed Catholic can marry another lapsed Catholic as long as a Catholic priest is willing to do so.

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

SedanChair posted:

Well that's the sad truth of it. Palestinians can become noble figures of resistance once Israel has dispersed and annihilated them completely.

You say this as if there aren't plenty of "allies" of the Palestinian people who are happy to dehumanize them and portray them as nothing more than "noble savages". Because apparently pointing out that Palestinians are human beings with their own internal mental lives, not symbolic martyrs of anti-Western resistance, is accommodationism with the Zionist regime.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Would it be possible to establish an atheist community or whatever and try to empower that to conduct marriages? This way of doing it seems completely out of whack

"yeah, i'm a muslim and she's a christian, so we had to go and get married by the local communist cadre"

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

V. Illych L. posted:

Would it be possible to establish an atheist community or whatever and try to empower that to conduct marriages? This way of doing it seems completely out of whack

"yeah, i'm a muslim and she's a christian, so we had to go and get married by the local communist cadre"

You would have to somehow get the Knesset to pass a law adding another community. Good luck with that.

Israeli marriage law has basically been adopted from the Ottoman days. The purpose has always been to discourage miscegenation without having a law on the book explicitly saying "Jews cannot marry non-Jews".

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Jack of Hearts posted:

:rimshot:

It's remarkable to me that, the fact that I consider myself a reasonably skeptical person, despite the fact that I follow these threads and try to read as much as I can about the conflict, I've still internalized the popular American narrative about Israel being a liberal Western democracy* to the point where this theocratic nonsense is genuinely surprising and disconcerting.

* In a similar sense to the US in the 50s and prior being a LWD; I don't mean this phrase as code for "one of the good guys."

In 2010, a law was passed in Israel permitting civil marriage (or "partnership covenant for the religionless", as it's apparently called) only between two people officially recognized by the state as "religionless". This is not an easy process, as not only do you have to swear under oath that you have no connection to any religion, but the religious courts have full veto power over this process - a copy of each religious marriage application is sent to the leadership of each of the officially-recognized religious communities in Israel, and they have the power to object to and block the marriage if they feel that one member of the prospective couple is actually a member of their religion after all.

http://www.newfamily.org.il/en/2108/who-does-the-partnership-covenant-law-help-if-anyone/

quote:

Only two spouses who are both certified by the religious courts as not meeting the religious definition of any faith recognized in Israel are entitled to register the relationship under this Law. In Israel, there are not many people who fit these requirements.

Couples that are registered as religion-less can apply to the appointed Registrar. Both spouses will need to provide documentation of their birth and citizenship. The Registrar will refer their request to the heads of the religious courts in Israel, who will review them and give an opinion on their eligibility for the law. In practice, the law that is supposed to provide a civil marriage alternative for non-Jewish immigrants in fact creates a new path in which non-Jews will have to be certified by the Rabbinate or other religious institution as having no recognized faith. Absurdly, the law forces those who have no religion to have their religious status defined by religious institutions. The bureaucratic procedure is invasive, intrusive and embarrassing. There is no doubt that the law expands the scope of religious coercion over the religion-less citizens in Israel.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
How hard would it be to get a Pastafarian congregation officially recognized as religious authority by Israel?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Scientologists couldn't pull it off.

• Locked thread