Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

I don't see a single mitre on that whole thing. You could have done that with a hammer and a 6 dollar saw. I think you have a serious tool-buying problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

That's reassuring, because I'm planning to build a simple workbench in order to build more complex things, so it's nice to know I can build something without splurging unnecessarily :v:

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
So, once again I find myself back at home for 2 weeks with a little time to kill, and a garage full of my dad's tools. Time to get busy! I'm pretty sure that everything is some form of pine or another that we found lying around the workshop. Initially, I envisioned a project that would contain a box beneath the board for storage, but I didn't really have the time plus our garage was in disarray from some drywall repair that was simultaneously ongoing. Anyway -

Cutting uniform hexes with the table saw was actually a lot easier than I thought it would be, but cutting a couple hundred uniform little side edges out of dowels was a bit more challenging. Still, everything turned out really well. Once I'd glued the dowel-cuts onto the hexes, they weren't even close to perfectly flush. I stacked them on top of one another to make a hex tower, put some gentle pressure on them with a clamp and some scrap-wood, and went at the sides with a powersander to even them out. I would periodically disassemble, scramble, and reassembled the tower to try and keep everything as uniform as possible. They aren't 100% perfectly uniform, but they are to the naked eye and they still fit the board like a glove.

Next, I mixed and matched a couple different stains we had lying around. There's some red oak, english chestnut, and colonial maple, occasionally mixed in various shades. Once I'd cut the design into the baseboard with a dremel, I hit the patterned area with a few coats of red oak stain to make it look like a dark inlay. For the most part, this worked really well, but the wood was very porous and despite extreme care, some of the stain bled beyond the lines I'd cut into the border. It's the first time I've tried anything like this, and despite the occasional bleed I'm quite happy with the result.

The hexes look a bit shabby at the moment, since the wood glue stands out against the stain. However, they will eventually be filled with painted clay terrain sculpts, so the inside won't be visible. Right now I'm waiting for the stain on the board and the the 2nd coat of polyurethane to cure before I can do anything else. I'll see about hitting the trim with a few more coats of stain to even it out as well. I hate waiting.

McKilligan fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Feb 24, 2015

Raised by Hamsters
Sep 16, 2007

and hopped up on bagels
I've been meaning to build my own game board for that for years now, and have yet to actually do it. I like your design way more than what I was planning though, so I'm stealing it :colbert:

Eager to see the clay insets.

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

That looks great. Making a wooden Catan board is also on my project list.

I started a Carcassone set once, but ended up never completing it because I kept redoing parts I wasn't happy with and got lazy.

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009
I wove a penguin basket:

Full build here: http://imgur.com/a/lpRSG

For the first time ever weaving anything, I think it turned out pretty good! Not many people seem to make figured baskets like this so it was a whole lot of groping in the dark.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Corla Plankun posted:

I don't see a single mitre on that whole thing. You could have done that with a hammer and a 6 dollar saw. I think you have a serious tool-buying problem.

True it all could have been done with hand tools. . . But I like power tools. Now that I have a stable flat surface I might try to get into hand tools, but I don't see myself giving up power tools.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
First couple of sculpts done - tomrrow, the woods, pastures, and desert. The painting will have to wait a while, though.

The Yellow Ant
Apr 6, 2004

I can lift 50 times my own weight in hope.

McKilligan posted:

First couple of sculpts done - tomrrow, the woods, pastures, and desert. The painting will have to wait a while, though.

OMFG that is gorgeous.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

McKilligan posted:

Doing commission work for customers is it's own special kind of ball ache but if you wanted to make those for pocket money there are a lot of gamers with deep pockets for this kind of stuff nowadays.

I know company directors who flip their poo poo over high quality game sets.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
Get the sculpts right, digitize 'em, and get someone to vaccuform/3D print 'em in bulk. :)

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

What game is that for? Or are they just generic terrain hex tiles that you made a cool table/board for?

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

The Locator posted:

What game is that for? Or are they just generic terrain hex tiles that you made a cool table/board for?

Looks like Settlers of Catan

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I'd be careful of advertising though. If you use the name Settlers of Catan or something similar, you're almost certain to invoke some kind of lawsuit. I think there's a market there for sure though.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

SpartanIV posted:

I'd be careful of advertising though. If you use the name Settlers of Catan or something similar, you're almost certain to invoke some kind of lawsuit. I think there's a market there for sure though.

As I understand it (and I'm not a lawyer), the name is trademarked, but the rules aren't copyrightable. So yeah, don't use the name, but you can wink-wink-nudge-nudge your way and be fine.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
It's for personal use, I'm not going to start selling them or anything. I just wanted a really nice set to call my own, and had 2 weeks and a workshop. I'm debating whether or not to try for a fourth coat of polyurethane on the board. It's already mirror-smooth, buuuuuuut....

On that note - finished the rest of the sculpts!

The whole filthy lot

The assembled board -

Starting sometime next week I'll start painting them, they obviously won't stay gray.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

McKilligan posted:

I am loving these! Especially the forest tiles! Super well done sculpt there.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

When you first posted, I was like "wow, awesome mountains." But now, I see they're only second-best. Your forests are god drat fantastic.

I've been wanting to do something like this for a while, and your WIP pics are making me stupid jealous. I imagined doing sculpts like that, but flattening them down a bit, and then encasing them in clear acrylic, like they do with bugs and such for display. Then the sculpts would be nice and protected, and you could put insane amounts of detail in if you wanted. Like flocks of teeny tiny sheep and such, and they'd still have a flat surface on top. Also, magnets arranged to snap roads and cities into place and such. I'll probably never get around to it, but one can dream!

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy

Bad Munki posted:

When you first posted, I was like "wow, awesome mountains." But now, I see they're only second-best. Your forests are god drat fantastic.

I've been wanting to do something like this for a while, and your WIP pics are making me stupid jealous. I imagined doing sculpts like that, but flattening them down a bit, and then encasing them in clear acrylic, like they do with bugs and such for display. Then the sculpts would be nice and protected, and you could put insane amounts of detail in if you wanted. Like flocks of teeny tiny sheep and such, and they'd still have a flat surface on top. Also, magnets arranged to snap roads and cities into place and such. I'll probably never get around to it, but one can dream!

Great minds think alike! I had the same idea, and thought about using a clear resin over the pieces - but, ultimately, unless the pieces were pretty thin, I think they would just obscure the overall board and look more like a lot of hexagonal ice cubes than a playable map. I wanted something that still looked like a unified whole, so opted to just stick with the sculpts.

Also, casting that many hexes in resin would have been a right bitch.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

A fairly heavily-recessed board would let you drop the pieces in and have them sink down to whatever depth you wanted, was my thought. I was thinking one could fit the tiles into 3/4" depth, 1/2" if you reeeaaally flattened everything out. But your board, for instance, looks like it has the overall depth to sink your pieces in fairly far. And as long as it's fancy, I doubt anyone would actually mind a board that was a little extra-thick.

My latest line of thinking is 3d printing the basic terrain from actual DEMs of various places. Mount Rainier and poo poo, y'know? And then jazzing those up with flocking and such. After that, you just need a hex-shaped mold, drop the terrain in, cover it in acrylic resin.

The most annoying part (aside from my complete inability to sculpt) would be polishing the poo poo out of those acrylic blocks.

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Feb 27, 2015

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Polishing a flat top is easy enough, just time consuming. Attach the progressively finer grades of sandpaper to a flat (glass) board, sand pieces while watching tv.

They're fantastic btw, I'm very jealous.

BigTeaBag
Dec 9, 2004
The Matrix is about black chicks.

McKilligan posted:

It's for personal use, I'm not going to start selling them or anything. I just wanted a really nice set to call my own, and had 2 weeks and a workshop. I'm debating whether or not to try for a fourth coat of polyurethane on the board. It's already mirror-smooth, buuuuuuut....

The whole filthy lot

The assembled board -

Starting sometime next week I'll start painting them, they obviously won't stay gray.

This is fantastic, but how do you plan on putting the robber or tokens on the pieces?

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy

BigTeaBag posted:

This is fantastic, but how do you plan on putting the robber or tokens on the pieces?

I'm going to make custom tokens, sort of like pins, with the number on a large, flat head. I'll drill a small hole into each land piece that you can fit them into. Still trying to figure out how to make those, but I'll work something out.

Edit - like so! Wanted to keep them small so as not to cover too much of the sculpt - hacked apart some nails and glued wooden heads to them. I'm debating varnishing over the paper - might look great, might not.

Anyway, being steel, the tokens are mildly magnetic so I'll just throw a magnet in the bottom of whatever I use as my robber. Eventually I'm definitely going to replace the making GBS threads paper numbers with something nicer, but that depends what/when I find something. Good news is I can just superglue it on top!

McKilligan fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Feb 28, 2015

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
Hey there fellow goons. A very dear friend of mine finally decided to stop being a lazy rear end and I got him to mass produce his work, which is: miniatures.

He made various work as well but I don't wanna flood my very first post in this sub-forum with images. He gifted me a very cute skaven to me :3

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Cross posting from the SAMart thread I popped up.

A friend and I want to use some artificial horn for some projects, but the rod size it comes in is too big.

We need it ground down from a 1" rod to 1/2".

Still round, just smaller. No other real detail work needed. Doesn't need to be polished, but just smooth.

I thought about buying a wood lathe but it's a lot of cash to throw at something that will probably literally only be used for this.

We need 3-4 pieces turned from 1" or so to 1/2", and prefer US based people since that's where we are.

Artificial horn is basically this stuff : http://masecraftsupply-com.3dcartstores.com/Alternative-Horn_c_267.html

It's a polyester substitute for real horn. Should be easily turned on a wood lathe or a metal lathe.

If you can help out, awesome. Get me a price idea so we can check the budget.

Feel free to post or message me, and thanks.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

^^ How long are the pieces that need to be turned down?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
5" or so in length.

The link where I am ordering em is literally the show off link above.

I might be ordering some off ebay as well for a variation of color, but that's pretty much it.

I just really don't want to buy a lathe for this because a: our budget is not going to support lathe + tools + materials for what we want to do, and b: lathes kinda terrify me and I don't really want to try and use em.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Have you tried asking in the Woodworking thread? Most people in there have lathes.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
It was a 50/50 shot between this thread and that one, and I didn't wanna cross post too much.

Asking for help is one thing, but spamming up the forums and getting banned while annoying the people that might help is another.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

McKilligan posted:

Anyway, being steel, the tokens are mildly magnetic so I'll just throw a magnet in the bottom of whatever I use as my robber. Eventually I'm definitely going to replace the making GBS threads paper numbers with something nicer, but that depends what/when I find something. Good news is I can just superglue it on top!

You could wood burn the numbers on. Then it would be permanent and look nice.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

It was a 50/50 shot between this thread and that one, and I didn't wanna cross post too much.

Asking for help is one thing, but spamming up the forums and getting banned while annoying the people that might help is another.

Anyone with a lathe can do it but a metal lathe would be more accurate and precise, if size is critical. I'm in NC and would be happy to do it but someone local would be more convenient for you. Also I only have a wood lathe.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

5" or so in length.

The link where I am ordering em is literally the show off link above.

I might be ordering some off ebay as well for a variation of color, but that's pretty much it.

I just really don't want to buy a lathe for this because a: our budget is not going to support lathe + tools + materials for what we want to do, and b: lathes kinda terrify me and I don't really want to try and use em.

Get a drill bit the right size, a piece of wood, and a chisel https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUmlMtpAj9o

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

If you don't want to try it yourself (based on using the drill & wood system or something like that) I could give it a go, but I just got the lathe so have no practice with it, and like Wormil, mine is a wood lathe so it doesn't have the precise diameter control since it's only got a bench, not a tool holder. I'm in the Phoenix area.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I really don't think the wood system would work too well, since I think this horn material is way harder than wood.

I've gotten a guy willing to give it a shot, so I'm cool for the moment. If anything happens or he can't do it, I'll let one of you other kind gents know.

Thanks a bunch!

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

I think this horn material is way harder than wood.

Nah, people turn polyester resin on wood lathes all the time. The hardest woods are harder than brass and prior to the industrial revolution, all metals were turned with hand tools. Glad you found someone though, a metal lathe will give you better precision.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
A long, loooong ago I asked for help with a ring box, so I'm finally posting the result:

Burl walnut finished with tung oil, flocked interior (credit to at least one goon from this thread!), and brass barrel hinges.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Trabant posted:

A long, loooong ago I asked for help with a ring box, so I'm finally posting the result:

Burl walnut finished with tung oil, flocked interior (credit to at least one goon from this thread!), and brass barrel hinges.

Glad to see it worked out for you.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Indolent Bastard posted:

I dunno, man, it looks like he still has the ring. :ohdear:

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Bad Munki posted:

I dunno, man, it looks like he still has the ring. :ohdear:

The flocking. The gift/proposal/whatever needs to be addressed in E/N

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
She said yes, ya dorks :-)

Indolent Bastard posted:

There you are! Thanks for the suggestion -- easy to work with, although I'll admit the final texture was rougher than I expected. Not bad at all, just not as soft (smooth?) as the raw material made me think it would be.