Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

8-bit Miniboss posted:

The files are keyed to the new system now and they no longer work on the old system.

I dunno how that could be possible? My old 3DS XL is on an older firmware (9.0) and I never did a system transfer; hell I couldn't because it demanded I update the firmware and I said "no" because I am having fun running homebrew with the CubicNinja exploit.

How did it get keyed to the new system? Just by turning the new system on with the card in it?? :cripes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

I dunno how that could be possible? My old 3DS XL is on an older firmware (9.0) and I never did a system transfer; hell I couldn't because it demanded I update the firmware and I said "no" because I am having fun running homebrew with the CubicNinja exploit.

How did it get keyed to the new system? Just by turning the new system on with the card in it?? :cripes:

How did anything pop up on the New console? Literally nothing from the SD could've/should've worked with the New console if you didn't do a system transfer. All your files are probabyfine and something is probably just wrong with the files themselves or the card itself.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

noirstronaut posted:

How did anything pop up on the New console? Literally nothing from the SD could've/should've worked with the New console if you didn't do a system transfer. All your files are probabyfine and something is probably just wrong with the files themselves or the card itself.

Nothing did pop up on the new console. I was planning on doing a system transfer but never did it.

:f5:

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Nolgthorn posted:

Help me hardcore gamer you're my only hope.

I am by no means a hardcore gamer (lmao what a term) but what kind of "focused work" required to beat the game are you talking about?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Nothing did pop up on the new console. I was planning on doing a system transfer but never did it.

have you tried putting the new card in the 3DS via an adapter? Are you sure the filesystem is arranged the exact same way as before?

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

DoctorWhat posted:

have you tried putting the new card in the 3DS via an adapter? Are you sure the filesystem is arranged the exact same way as before?

Pretty much this. A couple of folders get uniquely named for the console.

Make a backup (Jesus, you cut and pasted each time? :stare: ) of the files on your computer, format whatever card is going into the 3DS, boot up the card in the 3DS so it gets initialized, then shut it down and plug it into your PC.

Then, figure out which folder has a different name, and drop in everything below from your backup into that folder. I remember having to do something like that when I upgraded my o3DS from its original SD card to my 32gig one.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Go to eshop, ensure your purchases are there, wipe card, bite the bullet and begin downloading

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

DoctorWhat posted:

The filesystem should be the same; they are both 32gb :\

Fryhtaning posted:

Pretty much this. A couple of folders get uniquely named for the console.

Make a backup (Jesus, you cut and pasted each time? :stare: ) of the files on your computer, format whatever card is going into the 3DS, boot up the card in the 3DS so it gets initialized, then shut it down and plug it into your PC.

Then, figure out which folder has a different name, and drop in everything below from your backup into that folder. I remember having to do something like that when I upgraded my o3DS from its original SD card to my 32gig one.

OK now you might be onto something.

(Also the reason I cut and paste is because it's 100x faster for some reason)

Anyway there is a Nintendo 3DS folder on my SD card. In there, there are three folders. One says private, the other two are random characters/numbers. Is there only supposed to be one or something?

Thanks so much so far. I can feel I'll figure this out somehow. :pray:

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

OK now you might be onto something.

(Also the reason I cut and paste is because it's 100x faster for some reason)

Anyway there is a Nintendo 3DS folder on my SD card. In there, there are three folders. One says private, the other two are random characters/numbers. Is there only supposed to be one or something?

Yup, it's the randomly-named folder that is unique. Not sure what the private folder is - I'd just copy and paste whatever's in there as well. Just check to see if that one also has some kind of autogen folders inside of it.

e: and just to clarify, let the 3DS generate that code on a fresh card before you copy the contents from the old autogen folder first

Gutcruncher posted:

Go to eshop, ensure your purchases are there, wipe card, bite the bullet and begin downloading

You barbarian.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Uncle's about to either have a really good Sunday or a really bad one.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
If I wipe my card I am worried I'll screw myself out of unique stuff like Ambassador, Four Sword Adventures, etc.

I think it's this bizarre system of folder names that's the issue so I will probably be able to figure it out. Thanks so much everyone!

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
It sounds like you'll just need to swap the contents of one folder to the other and then delete the one you swapped from. Or, yeah, just back it up to a computer, delete both from the card, then let your 3DS make a new one, then copy the contents of whichever one has the data to the new folder.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

noirstronaut posted:

Uncle's about to either have a really good Sunday or a really bad one.

A bad one. You wanna know how nuts I am? A major reason I returned the new 3DS is because I notice a weird "interlacing" when I slightly move the system; I remember the original GBA having that but my old3DS XL didn't have the issue so it was like a downgrade for me to spend $200.

:smithicide:

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

A bad one. You wanna know how nuts I am? A major reason I returned the new 3DS is because I notice a weird "interlacing" when I slightly move the system; I remember the original GBA having that but my old3DS XL didn't have the issue so it was like a downgrade for me to spend $200.

Wait, that happened with the new? I thought the whole face tracking business would put that to rest.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Dude, that was the face tracking 3D adjusting. It's fine if you didn't like it, but it was normal.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

The New 3DS owns. Based on his posts he's clearly retarded.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Lots of bad news floating in and out this thread at the moment.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Pablo Gigante posted:

Been playing the poo poo out of 3DS since last Friday, M&L Dream Team is a lot of fun, Super Mario 3D Land is amazing and SMTIV is good but it's seriously kicking my rear end just in the first training dungeon. Any tips?
I think this got missed over, but the start of the game is actually really balls hard. It was the first main SMT game I'd ever played (I'd only played a little Devil Survivor prior to it). The best tip is to recruit as many demons as you can into your party as soon as you start. Don't try to kill them, just negotiate, and don't be afraid to be a prick to them or try to deceive them if their demands are unrealistic. If you fail, don't be afraid to just reload your save. Also, save often!

Once you have a decent party, you want to be hitting weak points in battles, it'll mean you'll get more turns and have a higher chance of smirking (smirking gives you a higher chance of a critical hit, and a higher chance that you'll evade an attack).

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

hopeandjoy posted:

Dude, that was the face tracking 3D adjusting. It's fine if you didn't like it, but it was normal.

No it was doing it without 3d being on at all. It was something I probably could have lived with but the hell with settling.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

noirstronaut posted:

Lots of bad news floating in and out this thread at the moment.

My Nintendo weekend has been awesome so I'm singlehandedly counteracting all the bad stuff.

edit: Awesome for me, not my wallet.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

The only bad Nintendo news right now is that I didn't have much chance to play Nintendo this weekend, aside from an hour or so of Metroid Prime this afternoon. :smith:

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

irlZaphod posted:

The only bad Nintendo news right now is that I didn't have much chance to play Nintendo this weekend, aside from an hour or so of Metroid Prime this afternoon. :smith:

Cancel your plans like a real man would.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
OK the issue has been fixed. :siren:

It had to do with a new folder being created, and for some reason this confusing the old3ds XL.

Thanks for helping me figure it out! :toot:

I'm surprised about how I could find virtually nothing on google about this.

Also for the sake of explaining myself, the new3DS XL I returned had an issue similar to a GBA with a poorly-tuned potentiometer. The head-tracking thing worked fine; actually I was really impressed with it.

Is Nintendo planning on releasing any matte new3DS XLs?

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Let me check with my

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Maybe in a new LE somewhere in the future. Right now, glossy hell.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

irlZaphod posted:

Let me check with my

he said "Miyamoto feels that thumbprint-encrusted consoles give a historical imprint of all those that enjoyed games on the console" :shobon:

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

OK the issue has been fixed. :siren:

It had to do with a new folder being created, and for some reason this confusing the old3ds XL.

Thanks for helping me figure it out! :toot:

I'm surprised about how I could find virtually nothing on google about this.

Also for the sake of explaining myself, the new3DS XL I returned had an issue similar to a GBA with a poorly-tuned potentiometer. The head-tracking thing worked fine; actually I was really impressed with it.

can't wait to see a repeat of your last few posts in a few months

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
I come to you baring a gift. Its in my diper and its not a toaster.
So I just got my first 3DS in the form of the new 3ds. I borrowed Zelda A Link Between Worlds. I Want one more game. Monster Hunter or Fire Emblem?

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

strategery posted:

So I just got my first 3DS in the form of the new 3ds. I borrowed Zelda A Link Between Worlds. I Want one more game. Monster Hunter or Fire Emblem?

Fire Emblem

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

strategery posted:

Theres a demo for both games. Fire Emblem is the more accessible of the games with a very good amount of content and customizable difficult and experience. MH is MH, if you already wanted it as a fan you would not be asking the question.

Fire Emblem is a good choice.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

strategery posted:

Monster Hunter

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
The answer is Fire Emblem

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

noirstronaut posted:

The answer is Fire Emblem

The Question is What game features a pedophile?

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

forbidden lesbian posted:

can't wait to see a repeat of your last few posts in a few months

you'd (probably not) be surprised at how often I have to find past posts of mine to even remember what I said

I once found an old post of mine asking questions about fixing a laptop I don't recall ever having in my possession. :iiam:

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Etrips posted:

What's the cheapest way to pick up Kid Icarus Uprising?

If you have a (NA) Club Nintendo account and 700 Coins you can claim a digital copy for free.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Waluigi isn't in Fire Emblem

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6CLfZl0m88

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Your posting is loving terrible.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

GENDERWEIRD GREEDO posted:

Your posting is loving terrible.

He's a good guy, let's be nice to each other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Good news, this thread is so weird and the new 3ds seems like such a meager upgrade that I'm just going to go buy a wiiu instead. Pretty excited for my new wiiu, what games should I buy?