Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
When I'm going in for a boss fight, I always bring 2-3 stacks of food so I can just binge the lot of it in case I'm in dire straights right outside the boss room and camping didn't heal enough. It works wonders, going into the Hag fights with full health and low stress results in a dead hag in a handful of turns.

Also, it's ridiculous how weak the Swine bosses are. He needs some kind of new move, or something. Debuffs, dots, I dunno. One wallop a turn just doesn't cut it, even if it's a really hefty one that takes 40-50% off my rank 5 crusader, I can still heal him back up in a couple of turns with an occultist + vestal if things get dicey. Meanwhile pig god's taking 30-50 damage a turn + bleed damage, and his 250 health melts away in the face of crits. His one gimmick, DON'T KILL WILBUR, is great as a one-time gotcha, but after that he's a joke. The Necromancer and Hag both have interesting and dangerous gimmicks if you let them get out of hand, but I feel like the Swine boss can be entirely neutered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Captain Invictus posted:

What are the worst negative quirks? I always remove stuff like non-rabies diseases and flat-out laibilities(weak hold onto life etc), but leave the ones that are like, "thinks he's possessed by demons", any in-town thing since there's usually enough room for everyone in any therapy place, or fairly harmless debuffs(-1 speed or -1 crit) since they waste a slot a potentially more harmful debuff might take.

Anything that reduces hit, followed by anything that reduces dodge, followed by crit, and damage, and negative stress modifiers.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Normal Adult Human posted:

Anything that reduces hit, followed by anything that reduces dodge, followed by crit, and damage, and negative stress modifiers.

More specifically, I think Syphilis is at least in the running for the flat-out worst negative quirk in the game.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

The worst negative quirks are really dependent on the class and how you're using them. For example, I usually don't care if my leper has -dodge, because I'm probably using heavy boots on him anyways and his dodge sucks as is. However, a minus accuracy quirk is really bad on him, and I'll clean that right off. I like to set up teams for each area to let me ignore negative quirks for other dungeons, and if I have a low/high light team I'll remove anything that conflicts with that.

Stuff like lock-jaw, syphilis, the runs, etc are the worst.

Stuff that is like -deathblow or -resists I tend not to worry about, unless it is -bleed on a team with occultist as the healer.

The swine boss can still be pretty dangerous. If he gets a big crit (on basically anyone besides a crusader/leper with +prot) followed by a fast wilbur it is really possible to lose guys. Necromancer is pretty much a race of "can you kill adds+boss before he kills/stresses you out"? Hag you need to be able to hit 3/4 spot reliably with your guys, and may or may not need to break out a guy from the pot.

I feel like if you're prepared and careful you won't lose to necromancer, or really the hag. Swine still feels possible to just have your guys bursted down, though it won't probably happen.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
The worst quirks are diseases since they are just huge stat penaltys you can't do anything about. Unfortunately, there are also the quriks you're gonna pick up the most thanks to those loving pig cannons in the warrens. They're not even dangerous but I still feel compelled to kill them first because I don't want my best guy getting syphilis from pig vomit.

VVV I think the Graverobber dresses like that because she used to be a noble and wants to pretend she still has some class.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Feb 23, 2015

FLIPSIXTHREEHOLE
Dec 30, 2010

My one and only complaint for the art in this game is that the Highwayman looks more like a Graverobber and the Graverobber looks more like a Highwayman. Besides the weapons of course...

If you were rooting around in crypts and tombs, wouldn't you want to have a hanky in front of your nose and mouth? And if you were robbing nobles on forest roads wouldn't you want to wear a fancy frock and jaunty hat?? .:colbert:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I just had a fight where those jello skeletons spawned a DOUBLE FUSION jello skeleton and then two single jello skeletons came back as I was killing the big one. I didn't even know that was possible! :aaa:

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Macaluso posted:

I just had a fight where those jello skeletons spawned a DOUBLE FUSION jello skeleton and then two single jello skeletons came back as I was killing the big one. I didn't even know that was possible! :aaa:

Yeah and the big one can summon little ones. It's a pain sometimes. I've only fought them on boss missions. I've also fought some weird wendigo looking mother fucker on my last run to fight the hag right before the boss room. This game does seem to have some enemy variation, but a lot of things besides the cultists/skeletons/pigs seem to be pretty rare.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Some of the enemies don't show up in tier 1 missions. Its mostly the large ones like ghouls, swinetaur, and giants. Even in the later missions they are still pretty rare though. The ghoul can actually spawn in every single zone, its just so rare you could easily not see it more than a handful of times.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
I fought two ghouls on my first medium-difficulty mission :saddowns:

(Luckily Dismas was having none of that and blew them to hell with his horrifying criticals. When that guy inevitably dies, I am going to be a bit upset.)

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
What's the scariest normal enemy in the game for you guys? Mine's probably the regular-sized Bandit. Not only does he do an obscene amount of damage to the front two guys, but he can reach anyone, deal bleeding hits, and crits ALL THE loving TIME. If you get surprised or they go first and there's two of them(something I've been unfortunate enough to run into a fair amount recently), you're going to be taking a ton of damage. Probably the worst intro to any run I've had was running into a pair of these fuckers and a gunner literally the moment I step out of the entrance, they go first, both double crit my Crusader and Leper and put them at Death's Door before I even get to do anything at all that run.

Least scary enemy, my first big-sized enemy outside of the big bandit was the big corpse eater. I was terrified when it crit my crusader for 27 damage. Since then, they've literally never hit me for more than 4 damage ever, if they even get to attack before dying. Talk about all bark and no bite

edit: I'm not really counting stress-inducers, I guess. They can be real annoying in large numbers.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Feb 23, 2015

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Its kind of hosed up that for a game full of eldritch horrors and slavering monsters, plain old bandits are probably the most dangerous encounter. Their formation is just really loving nasty. The big bandit isn't that bad aside from when he makes your entire party bleed, but the back two are HUGE assholes. Knife bandit can do really nasty damage on top of inflicting bleed and the gunner likes to crit your entire party on a regular basis. They're just huge assholes that are thankfully relatively rare, but can spawn in every single dungeon.

Least scary enemy are the maggots. I don't get why they even exist. They do pitiful damage to both health and stress. Every encounter with them is just a time waster. Also they're cute so I feel bad squashing them.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Feb 23, 2015

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Maggots have a stun chance and induce stress.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

It's hard to pick just one because there isn't any one enemy that ruins my day. But specific encounter sets? Groups of 3 dogs gently caress me up good. Battle starts they get to go, they'll either target one guy and inflict bleed x3 on him. Or they'll give most people weak bleed. Then they always get to go first. The dogs are basically the only enemy I've seen that consistently gets the same place in turn order, and it's always first. Harmless if it's only one dog but when you get three and they crit for a whole turn and inflict bleed, it can easily kill a guy or two.

Kaldaris
Aug 10, 2008

Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!
Awesome possum!
Worst enemy in the game to deal with is the Swine Spawn.

Creeping Cough? Syphillis? Tetanus? Are you loving serious?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
Maggots are a bit like the bandit gunners. They are not a big deal if you handle them quickly, but if you don't take them seriously or get unlucky with misses, they can rapidly get out of hand.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

Its kind of hosed up that for a game full of eldritch horrors and slavering monsters, plain old bandits are probably the most dangerous encounter. Their formation is just really loving nasty. The big bandit isn't that bad aside from when he makes your entire party bleed, but the back two are HUGE assholes. Knife bandit can do really nasty damage on top of inflicting bleed and the gunner likes to crit your entire party on a regular basis. They're just huge assholes that are thankfully relatively rare, but can spawn in every single dungeon.

Least scary enemy are the maggots. I don't get why they even exist. They do pitiful damage to both health and stress. Every encounter with them is just a time waster. Also they're cute so I feel bad squashing them.

Sounds like you need to equip your party with someone who has a pull(2) ability! Toss on some +spd options if you can, and pull the ranged guy to the front. The double knife bandit can't attack from slot 4, the ranged guy can only do rushed shot from slot 1. If you've got some good ranged killing options kill off the knife->gun->fatty, but if you can't hit slot 4 very well doing fatty->knife->gun can work just fine.

The double knife double gunner bandit layout feels more dangerous to me.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

ZypherIM posted:

Sounds like you need to equip your party with someone who has a pull(2) ability! Toss on some +spd options if you can, and pull the ranged guy to the front. The double knife bandit can't attack from slot 4, the ranged guy can only do rushed shot from slot 1. If you've got some good ranged killing options kill off the knife->gun->fatty, but if you can't hit slot 4 very well doing fatty->knife->gun can work just fine.

The double knife double gunner bandit layout feels more dangerous to me.

That works at low level but his pull resist grows all the way up to 70% at tier 3. I didn't find pulling him to be reliable with the occultist and bounty hunter, and trinkets that improve movement skills are stupidly rare.

Phssthpok
Nov 7, 2004

fingers like strings of walnuts
If the rabid dogs could infect people with rabies, then I would be happy to see them!

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Phssthpok posted:

If the rabid dogs could infect people with rabies, then I would be happy to see them!

They can. It just rarely takes hold.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Phssthpok posted:

Starting out "Oh no, Rabies :("

Now "Hell yeah, Rabies :)"

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Dackel posted:

Seriously. Rabies is an eight positive quirk slot.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Dackel posted:

What's so good about it anyway? I never remove it because it's not that big of a downside. But why would you want to be less accurate?

Kaldaris
Aug 10, 2008

Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!
Awesome possum!

Nuebot posted:

What's so good about it anyway? I never remove it because it's not that big of a downside. But why would you want to be less accurate?

The accuracy becomes less of an issue later on when you get accuracy beyond 100 anyhow.

Kaldaris fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Feb 23, 2015

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
Late to the thread, but this game is really rad. I had a really rough early game with many many setbacks (as promised) but now I've found my favorite gimmick comp and it's outstanding. 3x Grave Robbers are secretly the best. :c00l:

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Nuebot posted:

In addition to the fact that tons of attacks level up to 100+ accuracy, you can very easily offset the accuracy loss by camping. Accuracy is one of the easiest things to get from camping.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

I dislike the maggots, the stress and stun combo hit they do is annoying and makes them annoying by extension - they're also almost totally immune to every status you can inflict. The only thing I really hate is the stupid vomit pigs - enough that I try to avoid going there unless I have no choice. They just have too much speed and afflict too many diseases for me to feel like dealing with. My poor vestal got syphilis, tetanus and the runs in one mission.

I'd reconsider if they toned down the disease chance on the vomit pigs OR added a bunch of trinkets that grant +disease resistance.

Nuebot posted:

Rabies is good damage. The small accuracy hit is really not a big deal. I managed to get a highwayman infected with it and have him clean guns in camp - so he's rocking +40% damage and it makes grapeshot pretty tight.

I recently tried out a jester again and stuck him in the front to spam solo, it honestly feels like there's some hidden resistance to it or it's handled a different way than other abilities because it either was met with 4x resists or 3x resists and 1 that it actually takes hold on, which doesn't seem to be reflected well in the whole 25% debuff resistance of everything I went up against.

Sloober fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Feb 23, 2015

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
The pigs inflicting any disease is an interesting idea in theory, but in practice combined with their stress inducing attacks, speed and dodge, they are just anything but fun to fight.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Oh, as a kickstarter backer who should get the soundtrack, where exactly and how exactly do we actually get said soundtrack?

RubberBands Hurt
Dec 13, 2004

seriously, wtf

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Oh, as a kickstarter backer who should get the soundtrack, where exactly and how exactly do we actually get said soundtrack?

It should show up via the humblebundle page, under your kickstarter email.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

RubberBands Hurt posted:

It should show up via the humblebundle page, under your kickstarter email.

Yeah for some reason DD doesn't show up on humblebundle for me.

ZoninSilver
May 30, 2011
My star Helion ate a 60 crit from Swine God, then died immediately after to Wilbur's mark, extremely early in the fight. On one hand, bringing a bounty hunter instead of an occultist as the third shot probably contributed to one less possible heal that might have saved her, but on the other hand, there was no way in hell I could have won that fight by the skin of my teeth without his damage. RIP buddy, you didn't die in vain :unsmith:

Just the final Hag to go!

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Captain Invictus posted:

The pigs inflicting any disease is an interesting idea in theory, but in practice combined with their stress inducing attacks, speed and dodge, they are just anything but fun to fight.
Just cannot see why I should ever go to the Warrens. The other two are much less annoying.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Yeah for some reason DD doesn't show up on humblebundle for me.

For some reason DD didn't show up on humble for me by default, but then I hit something like "email me access to my games" or something and it sent me a new list of games that did include DD.

:shrug:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Jackard posted:

Just cannot see why I should ever go to the Warrens. The other two are much less annoying.

I just get my guys filled up with negative quirks and go there with them. No new diseases, yay!

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
I thought new negative quirks could replace existing ones, so you can never immunize your guy by letting him fill up on meaningless won't-stress-relief traits.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Jackard posted:

Cuz you just love fighting those Swine Gorer assholes that have a crit chance of like %50 and all their attacks shift them backwards out of reach of your heavy hitters?

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

paranoid randroid posted:

Cuz you just love fighting those Swine Gorer assholes that have a crit chance of like %50 and all their attacks shift them backwards out of reach of your heavy hitters?
Hard to tell whether these are higher priority targets than +stress or +disease mobs. Everything in that dungeon is obnoxious

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

Yea target priority can change over the course of the dungeon. Sometimes you've resigned yourself to firing or weeks of bench time from vomit pigs and you just need to keep damage down to ensure everyone survives. At least the vomit pigs don't do as much stress per attack as other guys, so ignoring them to kill the hooks isn't a quick train to afflictionville.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
I find it kinda funny that, due to the way Death's Door and turn orders shake out, Wilbur has a higher body count in my game than the Swine King.