Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

GENDERWEIRD GREEDO posted:

Your posting is loving terrible.

:qq:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Prop Wash posted:

Good news, this thread is so weird and the new 3ds seems like such a meager upgrade that I'm just going to go buy a wiiu instead. Pretty excited for my new wiiu, what games should I buy?

"Why didnt you get a new 3ds?"

"Uh, there's this thread on this forum that's really weird, so I got a wii-u"

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Prop Wash posted:

Good news, this thread is so weird and the new 3ds seems like such a meager upgrade that I'm just going to go buy a wiiu instead. Pretty excited for my new wiiu, what games should I buy?

We have a Wii U thread that is just as weird, if not weirder. However, it answers this very question for you. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3658946

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

I'm about 40 levels into Pokemon Shuffle and the last four Pokemon have gotten away despite 70+ percent odds of capturing each if them, with the game offering a Great Ball to toss if I'll pay some coins. Everything was easily caught before... hmm, well played free-to-play strategy, Nintendo.

However, I think the game is fine as a 10-minute minigame. To me, the money barrier acts as an incentive not to get addicted. "Have too much fun and you'll start losing money!" The mega evolution music is addictive, though.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Space Fish posted:

I'm about 40 levels into Pokemon Shuffle and the last four Pokemon have gotten away despite 70+ percent odds of capturing each if them, with the game offering a Great Ball to toss if I'll pay some coins. Everything was easily caught before... hmm, well played free-to-play strategy, Nintendo.

However, I think the game is fine as a 10-minute minigame. To me, the money barrier acts as an incentive not to get addicted. "Have too much fun and you'll start losing money!" The mega evolution music is addictive, though.

I kinda think the percentages mean next to nothing. How the hell did I manage to catch a Mew with 10% catchability? How do Pokes with 90% run away after one shake?

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

"Why didnt you get a new 3ds?"

"Uh, there's this thread on this forum that's really weird, so I got a wii-u"

Lol if you think I don't already claim every Nintendo purchase is for a younger family member

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Prop Wash posted:

Lol if you think I don't already claim every Nintendo purchase is for a younger family member

wow you're a bitch

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Cake Attack posted:

wow you're a bitch

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

I decided to see what all the craze is about. I've never played a Pokémon game and barely even know what kind of games they are. I think you collect them, whatever they are, and have no clue what they do when you do. What would be a good first Pokémon game for me?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

just get the most recent one, really

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

jabro posted:

What would be a good first Pokémon game for me?

Either is fine, but I'd say X/Y would be a better fit for your case.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

You can dress up cute, in Pokémon X and/or Pokémon Y.

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts
Comfy: {Yes}
Easy to Wear: {Yes}
Alright, we're good to go! :neckbeard:
I was tinkering around with my old 3DXL and just now realized how much better N3DSXL is at keeping a stable 3D image.
That head-tracking thing works wonders--looking at the old one in 3D made for queasiness, like when I first got 3DS.
I love this thing.

For reference, I have no problem seeing in 3D.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
I think it's cool that the new 3DS is basically what everyone expected the 3DS to be like from the get-go.

I also really want to use those extra buttons, but nothing utilizes them yet. I wish I could bind them to items in MM.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

noirstronaut posted:

I think it's cool that the new 3DS is basically what everyone expected the 3DS to be like from the get-go.

I also really want to use those extra buttons, but nothing utilizes them yet. I wish I could bind them to items in MM.

I've been messing around with the resident evil revelations demo, which uses them, and looks cool in 3d to boot.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Cake Attack posted:

wow you're a bitch

I don't want the guy in ebgames with the scraggly goatee judging me is all

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Prop Wash posted:

So do you pretend to only like Sport/shooter games so the workers at EBGames think you're cool?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Prop Wash posted:

He'll respect your taste, trust me

As for how I know?

Let's just say my shift starts at 12:00...

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

jabro posted:

I decided to see what all the craze is about. I've never played a Pokémon game and barely even know what kind of games they are. I think you collect them, whatever they are, and have no clue what they do when you do. What would be a good first Pokémon game for me?

They're children's JRPGs. X/Y seems to be the what everyone says for new players, because ORAS is very nostalgia driven. Just pick whatever Pokemon seems cooler on the cover.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
Has anyone been on Kid Icarus multiplayer lately? Like, anyone in the whole world? I have kinda been wanting to go pick the game back up but I don't wanna dig it out if nobody else is playing.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Sade posted:

Has anyone been on Kid Icarus multiplayer lately? Like, anyone in the whole world? I have kinda been wanting to go pick the game back up but I don't wanna dig it out if nobody else is playing.

There's been more people on lately since its a Club Nintendo reward. I'd be down for some goon matches even though I'm awful at it.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense
The guy at gamestop judged me so hard when I bought my wiiu make sure they know it's a gift otherwise I don't know how you'll sleep at night.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Cake Attack posted:

just get the most recent one, really

Normally I'd say yeah but X/Y has a lot more pokemon variety from the get-go (it feels almost like a "best of") and Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire, being remakes of GBA games, won't hit any nostalgia nerves with someone who hasn't played them before.Also if OP gets real into it he'll probably want to play both, and OR/AS have some quality of life improvements whose absence would suck if you played X/Y second.

I'd say get Pokemon X or Y (doesn't matter which, just pick the dude on the cover you think looks cooler) if only because it should be a few bucks cheaper (but not much cheaper, Pokemon games hold their resale value like crazy-- used copies of Black2/White2 which came out on the DS almost 3 years ago sell now for maybe $10 less than they sold new). If you get real into it you can always play Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire, the most recent ones, later -- and most of your progress from X/Y can be transferred over. Also, understand that the game is easy as gently caress at first (although, the 3DS ones aren't as bad as earlier ones in this regard) but optional/postgame stuff and online multiplayer can be as challenging and as deep as you want things to get -- especially with the multiplayer battling aspect, I can't really think of another RPG series out there on the same level

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

noirstronaut posted:

Took me a while to realize, but in Monster Hunter 4 if you dig through the menus for a "Circle Pad Controls" section you can actually remap ZL and ZR to do other things besides duplicate the functionality of the L and R buttons.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Hadn't seen those before. Matte finish, looking pretty good.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Feb 23, 2015

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
I paid $30 for a used copy of pokemon yellow (though he threw in a new battery too)

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Saoshyant posted:

Hadn't seen those before. Matte finish, looking pretty good.

I'm getting tempted to import some of these faceplates for the inevitable NA release of that console.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Nephzinho posted:

I'm getting tempted to import some of these faceplates for the inevitable NA release of that console.

Probably won't happen, and after getting hand cramps playing MH4 on this XL, I can't imagine playing on something EVEN SMALLER.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Are there any good "handle" cases for the N3DS yet?

TheHouseofM
Feb 13, 2012
Can you import a JPN N3DS and use a Sky 3DS and play American DS and 3DS roms on it?
In other news the Ebay Seller that sold me the Starfox code is asking me to please leave positive feedback asap. I'm assuming if I leave positive feedback now I can't dispute the charge with eBay later when Nintendo removes the game from my account?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Are there any good "handle" cases for the N3DS yet?

I dunno, but I ordered one of these:
http://www.eachmall.com/goods-43600-51876.html

And it should be coming sometime this week, hopefully. I'll have a review up with pics and crap after I've broken it in with some monster hunts.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Just tell him you'll leave positive feedback if Nintendo haven't deleted the game from your system in a couple weeks. And that if he asks again he can gently caress right off, you don't owe him poo poo.

FormaldehydeSon
Oct 1, 2011

TheHouseofM posted:

Can you import a JPN N3DS and use a Sky 3DS and play American DS and 3DS roms on it?
In other news the Ebay Seller that sold me the Starfox code is asking me to please leave positive feedback asap. I'm assuming if I leave positive feedback now I can't dispute the charge with eBay later when Nintendo removes the game from my account?

no, Sky3DS can only play games from the console's region on N3DS. But when Gateway releases their update that supports N3DS, that will be able to play games from any region.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fuzz posted:

I dunno, but I ordered one of these:
http://www.eachmall.com/goods-43600-51876.html

And it should be coming sometime this week, hopefully. I'll have a review up with pics and crap after I've broken it in with some monster hunts.

Well I can't wait to hear a review.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

FormaldehydeSon posted:

no, Sky3DS can only play games from the console's region on N3DS. But when Gateway releases their update that supports N3DS, that will be able to play games from any region.

This won't get you banned online, will it? Like I don't mean playing "backups" online, I just mean playing anything off the Gateway while you're connected to the internet. How does this work? Can it allow you to toss, say, ScummVM on there? Is there even a DS version of ScummVM? Because that would RULE.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Is there a trick to getting youtube on 3DS to play 3D videos? I read somewhere to search for SBS 3D, etc., but they all just play ... side by side 3d, not actually IN 3D.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Martytoof posted:

Is there a trick to getting youtube on 3DS to play 3D videos? I read somewhere to search for SBS 3D, etc., but they all just play ... side by side 3d, not actually IN 3D.

You click the type of 3D you want and then click it again. It toggles between side by side display and combining the displays.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
3D video playback only works on New 3DS, just so you know.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

greatn posted:

You click the type of 3D you want and then click it again. It toggles between side by side display and combining the displays.

I'm not sure where to click. I don't see anything related to 3D :(

Maybe i'm just looking at the wrong videos.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

3D video playback only works on New 3DS, just so you know.

Yeah, I've got a brand new New 3DS XL :)

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Feb 23, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

noirstronaut posted:

I kinda think the percentages mean next to nothing. How the hell did I manage to catch a Mew with 10% catchability? How do Pokes with 90% run away after one shake?

Mostly, it's because the human mind does an astonishingly lovely job of understanding probability.