Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

colas
Feb 14, 2007

FishBulb posted:

Nah. Not with those razors. I've used those for years and never really cut myself. Now a straight razor is another story.

sorry, which razors? The feather de? and when you say straight edge you mean this right -

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Dremel bits, not these exact ones.

Badger claws.

My life became measurabley better than TJ started stocking these.

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

colas posted:

sorry, which razors? The feather de? and when you say straight edge you mean this right -

He means with a "safety" razor, the ones that have the guard. Feather is just a manufacturer, you can also buy a Merkur DE (double-edged) safety razor and use Feather/Astra/Merkur/whatever blades.

I sliced my face maybe 2 out of my first 5 times shaving and haven't nicked myself since (more than a decade now). Nearly all of those nicks were attributed to me holding the razor funny or just not paying attention

Finally, yes, that is a "straight razor" you linked, those are crazy dangerous

Robawesome has a new favorite as of 02:56 on Feb 23, 2015

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

colas posted:

Most of the razors I've seen people posting have been double edged disposable safety razors (that Merkur someone posted etc...) they aren't very cutty. Sometimes you might get a little razor burn.

But yeah straight razors like that thing there are pretty easy to cut yourself with if you don't know what you're doing. They're an entire other level.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

colas posted:

How many times do you old fashioned razor users butcher your faces before getting the hang of it? I heard my grandfather used to nick himself even though that's all he ever used. I kinda wanna try it but I also just got a costco pack of mach 3 refills.

I nicked myself a few times the first week or two I switched and only nicks, not big cuts or anything. I never ever cut myself now and very rarely get irritation. Shaving was a big pain in the rear end before.

I just converted my dad who thought he never would switch because he used to cut himself big time. turn out nowadays there are a bunch of mild razor on the market, a ton of high quality blades and easily accessible soaps compared to what he used in the past. It's really worth trying.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Pick posted:

Badger claws.

What exactly does one do with a whole pile of badger claws?

Aristophanes
Aug 11, 2012

Quickly, bring me a beaker of wine, so that I may wet my mind and say something clever!

Pick posted:

Badger claws.

At first glance I thought these were teeth with hair extensions.

Still, why do you need these?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
The better question is, what COULDN'T you do with those.

Is that whiplash gif kid the same one who played quicksilver in DOFP?

colas
Feb 14, 2007

Pick posted:

My life became measurabley better than TJ started stocking these.

Because you're dropping healthy biscuits?

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

null_pointer posted:

And therein lies the problem; do I drop an extra $300 or so on two additional tires, just so I can rotate them, or do I just buy two so that I can buy other cool things and then post in this thread?

This depends on how far the tread is worn on the other two tires. If they're relatively close to needing to be replaced (<50% treadlife remaining) might as well do it all at once, a substantial difference in tread depth can be hazardous even on an undriven axle. Worn rear tires on a FWD car can cause the rear to fishtail and potentially spin the car out under heavy braking and/or slippery road conditions.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

colas posted:

How many times do you old fashioned razor users butcher your faces before getting the hang of it? I heard my grandfather used to nick himself even though that's all he ever used. I kinda wanna try it but I also just got a costco pack of mach 3 refills.

My dad used an electric shaver from at least the 80s onwards and that's all I've ever used too so I thought you meant mach 3 style razors when talking about old fashioned stuff.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

colas posted:

They're not nearly as dangerous as you might think. I used my razor for the first time today and only gave myself a tiny nick on my Adam's Apple (but that usually happened with a cart razor as well).

There's 3 things you need to keep in mind when using a DE vs. a Cartridge razor:

1) Use a rich, wet, hot lather. So get a shaving brush and real shaving soap.
2) Do not use any pressure. Just let the weight of the razor rest on your face and pull the razor so that the cutting edge is always perpendicular to the direction of movement. Don't got at an angle and don't pull it laterally. That will cut you.
3) This is probably the most important: Use short strokes. You can get away with long stokes with cart razors, but you absolutely cannot with DE razors. At least not without a lot of practice. And you still shouldn't do it because the soap and hair clogs up pretty fast and will add to irritation. Just use short and deliberate strokes.

Also keep in mind the direction that the grain of your beard grows in. This is less important if you're doing the previous items unless there's like one spot on your face that grows up your face which would make you shave against the grain randomly.

prezbuluskey
Jul 23, 2007
A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.

chuck2020 posted:

Bought these last week, just in time for a giant snow storm where I couldn't where them. Steve Madden Harsens:

I've never owned shoes like this before. Is there something I should put on them to keep them in good condition?

Neat.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I started using a Merkur DE razor last year and only nicked myself a few times in the first week. Before that I just used Gilette Mach 3 like every other guy. You can save a lot of money with a DE razor. Each blade is only a few cents. I'll use an electric if I'm really in a rush but it doesn't do anywhere near as clean as a razor. It only takes me 5-6 minutes from start to finish but I'm Asian and don't grow much facial hair.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
There's a funny thing about wet shaving with a DE/straight razor that many people don't think about. If you find yourself suffering a lot from razor burn, red bumps, or ingrown hairs using a DE razor is actually better for you. People think it's so much more aggressive and has a greater chance of hurting your face but the system of using extra hydration (with actual loving water an not goop) and multiple passes helps.

I should try and introduce my brother to it. He has a lot of problems with irritation.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

I've used a double edged razor for awhile now, and I only cut myself when I'm not paying enough attention to what I'm doing, or if my blades are old.

I think the problem is a lot of people think you're supposed to shave in both directions. For example, on your neck, people think you're supposed to go with the hair, and then back against it. That usually is what causes the cuts. If you just go with the grain (and go back through for another pass the same way if necessary) you should be ok.

The single best part is getting 100 blades for $30 and using them for 2-3 years. The barrier to entry is even pretty low with getting the actual safety razor. I've bought two Gillette models from the 50's on ebay for $15 and they both work great (bought the second as a gift for a friend).

This helps for the occasional knick btw:

LooksLikeABabyRat has a new favorite as of 04:24 on Feb 23, 2015

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
There's a great shave thread here, http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3523526

I used the OP to make a list to build my kit.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

LooksLikeABabyRat posted:

I've used a double edged razor for awhile now, and I only cut myself when I'm not paying enough attention to what I'm doing, or if my blades are old.

I think the problem is a lot of people think you're supposed to shave in both directions. For example, on your neck, people think you're supposed to go with the hair, and then back against it. That usually is what causes the cuts. If you just go with the grain (and go back through for another pass the same way if necessary) you should be ok.

The single best part is getting 100 blades for $30 and using them for 2-3 years. The barrier to entry is even pretty low with getting the actual safety razor. I've bought two Gillette models from the 50's on ebay for $15 and they both work great (bought the second as a gift for a friend).

Even just tossing blades after every use is fine. I just looked up what the "latest and greatest" razors cost: $43 for 12 at walgreens for the fusion carts. At that rate you're still miles ahead of the game ~$100 for a year vs. ~$260(with 5 shaves per cart).

I don't think I'm going to bother risking extra shaves just yet so I'll be tossing them every time.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

colas posted:

I started with Feathers and the only time I cut myself was when I finished a pass and lifted the razor and managed to catch a solid chunk of earlobe. I still don't know how I managed that. But, no other nicks or cuts.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

Crain posted:

I don't think I'm going to bother risking extra shaves just yet so I'll be tossing them every time.

I keep a beard, so I only ever shave my neck. 3-4 times of that seems ok for me before I throw them out.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

chuck2020 posted:

Bought these last week, just in time for a giant snow storm where I couldn't where them. Steve Madden Harsens:

I've never owned shoes like this before. Is there something I should put on them to keep them in good condition?

For shoes with two-tone leather a neutral (colorless) leather conditioner would be enough I imagine.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

colas posted:

Because you're dropping healthy biscuits?

My favorite fruits are ones that wasps gently caress inside.

Bogan Krkic posted:

What exactly does one do with a whole pile of badger claws?

They're neat.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

colas posted:

I got one of these little bastards and cannot get it to stick to my windshield. Does anyone know the trick with these? There's a flat suction cup you under that dial, you set it on the surface and then twist that dial to lock it down but mine just falls off.
Get some all-purpose cleaning spray, and wipe your windshield until it's super clean. Even a tiny amount of dirt or grime will prevent those from sticking. Might as well give the suction cup itself a wipe, while you're at it.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

chuck2020 posted:

Ahhh those are nice. drat it I don't need any more shoes.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

LooksLikeABabyRat posted:

Ah, good old vagina retightener.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Crain posted:

Even just tossing blades after every use is fine. I just looked up what the "latest and greatest" razors cost: $43 for 12 at walgreens for the fusion carts. At that rate you're still miles ahead of the game ~$100 for a year vs. ~$260(with 5 shaves per cart).

You absolutely won't be "risking" anything for at least 3 shaves.

----

Some delicious coffee from Ethiopia

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012
I bought a box with knobs on it.

BobFossil
Jun 17, 2005

Note to self: I hate whites.

Jeherrin posted:

I bought a box with knobs on it.

ahh. I have one, hows it going?

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

colas posted:

I tried safety razors on an off for years and never found anything as efficient and blood/burnless the the good old Mach3. I accidentally discovered that Nivea Sensitive Skin Aftershave lotion actually works better then any shaving cream/soap I had tried as well. I really wanted to like the idea of old timey shaving but it was just inferior all around.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Furcifer posted:

Friend of mine put his brand new Sony Z3 (with gorilla glass on both sides) on a granite countertop that was ever so slightly not level; phone fell off the counter after a few minutes. No damage, but it's now encased in a case. I guess the situation is a culmination of poor phone design and poor purchasing decision - still a nice phone phone regardless

The Z3 series is made with space-age hovercraft technology. That phone was acting as intended.

Crain posted:

They're not nearly as dangerous as you might think. I used my razor for the first time today and only gave myself a tiny nick on my Adam's Apple (but that usually happened with a cart razor as well).

There's 3 things you need to keep in mind when using a DE vs. a Cartridge razor:

1) Use a rich, wet, hot lather. So get a shaving brush and real shaving soap.
2) Do not use any pressure. Just let the weight of the razor rest on your face and pull the razor so that the cutting edge is always perpendicular to the direction of movement. Don't got at an angle and don't pull it laterally. That will cut you.
3) This is probably the most important: Use short strokes. You can get away with long stokes with cart razors, but you absolutely cannot with DE razors. At least not without a lot of practice. And you still shouldn't do it because the soap and hair clogs up pretty fast and will add to irritation. Just use short and deliberate strokes.

Also keep in mind the direction that the grain of your beard grows in. This is less important if you're doing the previous items unless there's like one spot on your face that grows up your face which would make you shave against the grain randomly.

The phrase that always helped me get in the right mindset is that each pass you make with the razor is about 'beard reduction' and not 'beard elimination'. Make multiple, patient, smooth passes and you will be just fine.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
Cole Haan Charles Chukka.II's were on sale - got 'em for a cool hundo.

Also bought a dremel for a separate project - Haven't had a chance to take it to the board yet.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
That is going to be one fancy Settlers of Catan board.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

McKilligan posted:

Cole Haan Charles Chukka.II's were on sale - got 'em for a cool hundo.

Also bought a dremel for a separate project - Haven't had a chance to take it to the board yet.

depending on how labor intensive and such you could probably make a killing selling those at cons

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Is that whiplash gif kid the same one who played quicksilver in DOFP?

Considering that's a scene from days of future past where quicksilver is talking to magneto, yes.

woot fatigue
Apr 18, 2007

A suit from Strong Suit and tie from Rag & Bone

Some suede brogues/derbies from Brunello Cucinelli

Followed by a string of unexpected expenses and a cancelled project which means I'm in pure panic mode and will be having a print, art, camera and furniture sale shortly. I'm going to be the best dressed hobo.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I don't know why but that tie knot seems a little too big

I'm sorry about having to sell your chairs

woot fatigue
Apr 18, 2007

SaltLick posted:

I don't know why but that tie knot seems a little too big

I'm sorry about having to sell your chairs

Yeah I'm still figuring out the best way to tie a narrow tie.

Not getting rid of any favorites, just duplicates and extras I've had sitting around in case I might eventually have a use for them.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

rent to local schools for musical chairs

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Bought some Cascade hop rhizomes to try to grow my own hops for my homebrew. I'm not expecting much since I live in a horrible climate for growing them (Florida) but apparently people have had luck with Cascade down here, so we'll see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Light
Dec 16, 2006

rockcity posted:

Bought some Cascade hop rhizomes to try to grow my own hops for my homebrew. I'm not expecting much since I live in a horrible climate for growing them (Florida) but apparently people have had luck with Cascade down here, so we'll see.

I'm not sure who you bought them through, but make sure they do disease/virus free certification. Most places will sell you any old rhizome which could be carrying plant disease. I know Washington State University has a program for that certification and recommend them to anyone looking for rhizomes.