Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

drat Bananas posted:

Is there a crock-pot/slow-cooker thread somewhere? Husband and I are trying to find some diet-friendly* recipes online and every time I think I find something promising that sounds yummy, the comments are all over the place about how it's good/bad, watery, needs more/less time, etc.

If no thread, I'd love suggestions of either specific recipes or whole sites you like to pull from. :)

*not a specific diet, mostly just a "let's cut some calories because we're getting jiggly"-diet.

Literally had a tab open to ask this exact same question, healthy recipe caveat included

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalista
Oct 18, 2001
Why slow-cooker/crock pot specifically? Veggies, which are or should be the better part of your diet if you're really trying to watch calories, don't do well in a slow-cooker, unless you like mush.

If it's speed and convenience that drives the request, then steaming or stir frying veggies, or making salad with chicken breast and olive-oil/vinegar dressing are even more quick and convenient than slow-cooking prep and cooking would be.

I guess when I think of slow-cooking and crock pot recipes, my experience has been that they're usually heavy on red meat/pork/potatoes and some kind of cream sauce/soup base and not really that low calorie.

KettleWL
Dec 28, 2010
^This dude is 100% correct. It's so much easier to steam/stir fry/whatever up some veggies real quick and grill some protein than it is to throw them in a crock pot, in my experience anyways.

Esme posted:

It's like jello with a light crunch. The appeal is impossible to explain and it's something that you either love or hate.

I'll give the longer, hotter soak a shot! I hadn't thought of basil seeds, but I'll give them a try if I see them somewhere.

I'm not an expert and have never really tried soaking them, but my understanding from a basic biological sense is that there's probably some sugar or the like in the drinks you're used to. If you're trying to soak in just water they're not going to absorb as much, because the additional nutrients in a solution will force liquid in to the seed thorough osmosis. I could be wrong, of course, but I'd try that.

drat Bananas posted:

Is there a crock-pot/slow-cooker thread somewhere? Husband and I are trying to find some diet-friendly* recipes online and every time I think I find something promising that sounds yummy, the comments are all over the place about how it's good/bad, watery, needs more/less time, etc.

If no thread, I'd love suggestions of either specific recipes or whole sites you like to pull from. :)

*not a specific diet, mostly just a "let's cut some calories because we're getting jiggly"-diet.

There are literally entire websites devoted to these kinds of recipes, I actually grab a bunch of recipes as I go and through them in a folder, I've not tried all of them but do have a lot. I typically eat very lean, and prefer to add as much veggies as possible to everything, so I rarely save recipes that are the heavy cream/soup based bullshit. Here's some that I can vouch for:

Slow cooker chicken and sausage cassoulet recipe (Just made this yesterday, minus the tomato paste and doubled otherwise)

Ingredients:

1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 cup white onion, diced
1 (6 ounce) boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into 2-inch pieces
1/4 pound mildly seasoned sausage link, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 tablespoon tomato paste
2 tablespoons water
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 carrots, peeled and diced
1 large celery stalk, diced
1 green zucchini, diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 (14.5 ounce) can cannellini beans, undrained
1/3 cup vegetable broth
3 tablespoons fresh parsley, torn (plus extra for garnish)
1 teaspoon fresh thyme, chopped
Salt and black pepper, to season

Directions:

To a skillet over medium heat, add the oil. When the oil is hot, add the onion, and cook for about 3 minutes or until it begins to soften.
Add the chicken and sausage, and cook for 5 to 8 minutes or until browned. Add the tomato paste, 2 tablespoons of water and the black pepper to the skillet. Toss to combine, and cook for another minute or so.
Transfer the mixture to the slow cooker. Add the carrot, celery, zucchini, garlic and beans over the mixture.
Pour in the vegetable broth, and top with the parsley and thyme.
Cook on low heat for 4 to 6 hours.
Taste, and season with additional salt and pepper as needed. Serve in individual bowls, garnished with the fresh parsley.

Here's another I do love (I add a bit more spice to it though, including harissa):

Slowcooker Chicken Tagine

Ingredients:

1 medium (1 1/2-pound) butternut squash, peeled and cut into 2-inch chunks
2 medium tomatoes, coarsely chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
2 clove(s) garlic, crushed with press
1 can(s) (15- to 19-ounce) garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
1 cup(s) chicken broth
1/3 cup(s) raisins
2 teaspoon(s) ground coriander
2 teaspoon(s) ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon(s) ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon(s) salt
1/4 teaspoon(s) pepper
3 pound(s) bone-in skinless chicken thighs
1 box(es) (10-ounce) plain couscous
1/2 cup(s) pitted green olives

Directions

In 6-quart slow cooker, combine squash, tomatoes, onion, garlic, beans, broth, and raisins. In cup, combine coriander, cumin, cinnamon, salt, and ground black pepper. Rub spice mixture all over chicken thighs; place chicken on top of vegetable mixture. Cover slow cooker with lid and cook as manufacturer directs, on low 8 hours or on high 4 hours.
About 10 minutes before serving, prepare couscous as label directs.
To serve, fluff couscous with fork. Stir olives into chicken mixture. Serve chicken mixture over couscous.

And lastly (I didn't use full fat coconut milk, and used a homemixed garam masala instead of curry powder, and more cayenne pepper):
:
Slow Cooker Brazilian Curry Chicken

Ingredients
1 can (400ml) full fat coconut milk
4 tablespoons tomato paste
6 cloves garlic, minced
1" x 1" x 2" ginger root, peeled and julienned
8 tablespoons curry powder
2 teaspoons cumin
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 cup chicken stock
1 onion, thinly sliced
3 pounds chicken pieces

Instructions

Add coconut milk, tomato paste, garlic, ginger, curry powder, cumin, cayenne pepper, salt, and pepper directly to the slow cooker. Mix well into a thick paste.
Add chicken stock and onion slices. Stir well.
Add chicken and ensure pieces are well covered in curry sauce.
Cook on low for 4-6 hours.

I've got a bunch more saved I've never tried, quite honestly I don't find slow cookers to be as convenient as everyone always swears they are. With rare exceptions it's always easier for me to make a soup on the stove, or throw something in the oven. But hopefully these are good for you?

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Kalista posted:

Why slow-cooker/crock pot specifically? Veggies, which are or should be the better part of your diet if you're really trying to watch calories, don't do well in a slow-cooker, unless you like mush.

If it's speed and convenience that drives the request, then steaming or stir frying veggies, or making salad with chicken breast and olive-oil/vinegar dressing are even more quick and convenient than slow-cooking prep and cooking would be.

I guess when I think of slow-cooking and crock pot recipes, my experience has been that they're usually heavy on red meat/pork/potatoes and some kind of cream sauce/soup base and not really that low calorie.

Speaking for myself, I was thinking slow cooker/crock pot because I've never owned one or cooked with one and was thinking about picking one up today just for the hell of it. Not trying to lose a bunch of weight or anything just was wondering what you guys liked to cook that isn't pulled pork or meat and potatoes.

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me

Kalista posted:

Honestly, we used our 2-year-old wedding-gift crockpot for the first time on Valentine's Day to make pulled pork and it was really delicious. We kind of just said "why don't we use this thing more often!!" and started brainstorming. Some of the recipes I've looked at had you cook the meat/sauce in the pot, and then steam some broccoli or whatever to serve with it (sesame chicken, honey-garlic chicken, and other Chinese-takeout sounding dishes)

I am also notoriously bad at drying out any chicken I try to make on the grill/stove, and my husband (who grew up on fast food and restaurants) seems to be getting tired of my attempts and wants to eat out all the time instead. :( I thought the crockpot might be my chicken savior.

KettleWL posted:

There are literally entire websites devoted to these kinds of recipes
[snip]
But hopefully these are good for you?

I have looked at so many recipe websites I've started to have trouble telling the difference between ones that are really a family-favorite hit recipe versus Pinterest-clickbait ones.
That first one you listed sounds delicious, I will save that one to my new recipe folder. :)

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

For healthy recipes, I'd say you could use your slow cooker for beans or whole grains - probably better for you than lots of meat.
So something like http://smittenkitchen.com/blog/2010/01/black-bean-soup-toasted-cumin-seed-crema/
I guess I'm not so sure on the whole grain part, I've never used a slow cooker for that.

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

The snozzberries taste like snozzberries!
Is there a GWS irc channel?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I need another restaurant soup recipe.

When my family was vacationing in California years ago, there was this place we stopped at called Anderson's(?) that was famous for its Split Pea Soup. There were signs for it all over the interstate. So we ate some. And it was divine. Now I wanna know how to make split pea like that.

Also, "Monterrey-style" clam chowder, if such a thing exists. I remember the clam chowder in Monterrey was some of the best I'd ever eaten in my whole life.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Paper With Lines posted:

#foodchat on synirc

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Paper With Lines posted:

#foodchat on synirc

E:f;b

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

The snozzberries taste like snozzberries!
Awesome. Thanks. I tried #cooking and #gwc but obviously failed.

Is this in an faq somewhere? If not, it probably should be. If so, sorry for the posts.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

Holy poo poo this looks incredible. Wondering if I can add tiny shrimp to it as well.

And I wanna hear more of these CIA stories.

EDIT: I might drop a little basil and minced celery in there too, since I have some of both.

Shrimp and celery, sure. Basil? Ehh.. well you tell me how it goes.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

I'm in the process of making some feta cheese. I've successfully created curds and whey and the cheese is starting it's overnight process of draining so we'll see how successful that turns out tomorrow.
So, I have loads of whey, probably about 3 litres of the stuff. The internet tells me that it'll keep in the fridge for up to 6 months if stored in glass containers (which I do have).
I'm looking for peoples favourite ways to use whey. I don't bake, but I do cook. I'm also happy to just drink the stuff and make protein drinks for after my runs if anyone has interesting recipes for that.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Helith posted:

I'm looking for peoples favourite ways to use whey. I don't bake, but I do cook. I'm also happy to just drink the stuff and make protein drinks for after my runs if anyone has interesting recipes for that.

Feed to young pigs. Have whey pigs.

We've been making soap from ours, but it only uses 8oz at a time. Fridge space is at a premium, so the pigs get a lot of it. I wish the goats would drink ot like at the last farm I was at, but they just dont have a taste for it.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Suspect Bucket posted:

Feed to young pigs. Have whey pigs.

We've been making soap from ours, but it only uses 8oz at a time. Fridge space is at a premium, so the pigs get a lot of it. I wish the goats would drink ot like at the last farm I was at, but they just dont have a taste for it.

Brb, buying pigs!

Sadly can't have pigs in my city centre unit :(

Now soap sounds interesting, do you have a recipe and method you could post or link me to?

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Helith posted:

Brb, buying pigs!

Sadly can't have pigs in my city centre unit :(

Now soap sounds interesting, do you have a recipe and method you could post or link me to?

Well, you can probably have a pet one :3: But nothing gets the pigs to clear their slops like whey and maybe a soft shell egg.

I work on the cheese side of things, soap scares me a little. I'll get the recepie for you in the morning. We're really just replacing the liquid component usually played by water. Fun thing, when using our cloudy colstrummy whey from failed cheesemaking, the lye turns it bright red. Soap turns out a homey beige color.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I like using chia seeds in smoothies. They blend smooth but help the smoothie be more filling, and also stay thick if you're going to drink it later. Plus protein, fiber, etc.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
So I made a chocolate chess pie for the first time yesterday and something kind of weird happened - The finished pie filling split into two layers. Chocolate on top and, not chocolate on the bottom. A quick Google image search for "Chocolate chess pie" shows an example of what I'm talking about (third row, second from left). The recipe calls for a mix of butter and unsweetened chocolate to be melted together and added to a mix of sugar, flour, eggs and vanilla. What causes it to split like that? It tastes OK, but just struck me as kind of weird.

I did cook it to 180 per recipe and cool it for over 4 hours before serving

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I like using chia seeds in smoothies. They blend smooth but help the smoothie be more filling, and also stay thick if you're going to drink it later. Plus protein, fiber, etc.

Makes George Brett jealous of your poops.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Yeah, I'm not adverse to it. But the girlfriend will make "pudding" out of chia, almond milk, stevia and a touch of vanilla extract.

Always makes me want to puke.

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

hello i am your heart how nice to meet you
Oddly enough blended chia sounds gross to me too. I like the distinct little pieces of gel, also I hate getting the blender out.

Helith posted:

I'm in the process of making some feta cheese. I've successfully created curds and whey and the cheese is starting it's overnight process of draining so we'll see how successful that turns out tomorrow.
So, I have loads of whey, probably about 3 litres of the stuff. The internet tells me that it'll keep in the fridge for up to 6 months if stored in glass containers (which I do have).

I substituted whey for buttermilk in this pancake recipe - they turned out great.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Esme posted:

Oddly enough blended chia sounds gross to me too. I like the distinct little pieces of gel, also I hate getting the blender out.

You wouldn't know chia was in there if someone didn't tell you. Or if they put in way too much and made it super thick.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Esme posted:

Yeah, it's like tapioca: either you like weird texture or you don't.

FGR is right though: blended up, you'd never know the difference.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Bread baked with chia tastes pretty good but I think smoothies are pretty gross.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
When you're stir-frying food, what takes longer to cook- meat or vegetables? My fiancee and I keep having this argument and can't resolve it one way or the other.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

C-Euro posted:

When you're stir-frying food, what takes longer to cook- meat or vegetables? My fiancee and I keep having this argument and can't resolve it one way or the other.

Both/neither. You should be slicing your meats and veg super thin so they all cook up really fast.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

C-Euro posted:

There is no correct answer to that. Different vegetables take different times to cook, as do proteins.
Also, "done" is subjective.

People often put the meat in first because:
a. it sears better without the moisture of the vegetables steaming it
b. some fat renders out that helps flavor and fry the vegetables

The key is knowing how fast your particular vegetables will cook and then adding them in the correct order so they finish at the same time as each other and the meat. Also, cutting your ingredients to different sizes affects how soon they are done.

If everything was cut to the exact same size, then I'd guess that what "takes longer to cook" would be:
1. dense root vegetable like a sweet potato or beets
2. onion (but only because my tummy won't tolerate raw onion)
3. chicken & pork
4. carrot
5. beef
6. shrimp
7. asparagus, pea pods
8. green onions, kale, spinach

I sear my meat first and set it aside, then add it back in and season/sauce when the veggies are almost done.

---

Edit: or just, you know, what Casu Marzu said.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
Hey folks, I got me some frog legs as well as some ground kangaroo. I'd like a few recipes/preparation suggestions if you please!

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

Detective Thompson posted:

Hey folks, I got me some frog legs as well as some ground kangaroo. I'd like a few recipes/preparation suggestions if you please!

dunno about the kangaroo, but I'd use a nice and simple recipe for the frog legs, something like this:
http://www.food.com/recipe/stir-fried-garlic-frogs-legs-15842

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Deep fried with cocktail sauce is my favorite way to have frog. But Ive only had it on a resturaunt, no idea on the times or temperatures.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

Detective Thompson posted:

Kangaroo burgers are very good

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Adult Sword Owner posted:

Kangaroo burgers are very good

Is this commonly eaten in Aus? Are they farmed, or all wild?

I've always wanted to try it.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
I have no idea how common or authentic it is in Australia, my friend went on a "weird meat" kick and that was one thing he made

oTHi
Feb 28, 2011

This post is brought to you by Molten Boron.
Nobody doesn't like Molten Boron!.
Lipstick Apathy

Squashy Nipples posted:

Is this commonly eaten in Aus? Are they farmed, or all wild?

I've always wanted to try it.

It's not something most people eat every day, but you can find it in the supermarket pretty much 100% of the time. As far as I know, it's all farmed. Really, kangaroo should replace cattle for meat purposes in Australia. It's pretty much superior in every way, given our soil etc.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Kangaroo meat is incredibly lean too which is great for when you eat it, but can be a problem when you cook it because it can get very tough very quickly.
Crocodile meat is tasty too, tastes a bit like a fishy chicken, and is also very lean. I like it in stir fries.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
How can I make a gallon of Rooibos tea without a teapot or coffee maker?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

89 posted:

How can I make a gallon of Rooibos tea without a teapot or coffee maker?

Toss the stuff in a jug of water, strain out when you think its done. It's not like you can overextract rooibos

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
I don't need to heat it up?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

89 posted:

I don't need to heat it up?

You can, but I'm pretty sure you can treat it just like sun tea too if you're super lazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

paraquat posted:

dunno about the kangaroo, but I'd use a nice and simple recipe for the frog legs, something like this:
http://www.food.com/recipe/stir-fried-garlic-frogs-legs-15842

:getin: