Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I should probably divert most of my farmers to produce non food plants and just leave a plot or two growing helmets. Is there any way to manually wet ground for farming with a bucket or something? I kinda want to start an outdoor farm, but moving the water up a z level via pumps doesn't quite seem worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

I should probably divert most of my farmers to produce non food plants and just leave a plot or two growing helmets. Is there any way to manually wet ground for farming with a bucket or something? I kinda want to start an outdoor farm, but moving the water up a z level via pumps doesn't quite seem worth it.

I don't think farming works on outdoor biomes with stone ground anyway.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

You can make ground muddy by designating a pond/pit zone above it, and order that it be filled with water. Takes buckets and some available water.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Also if you're trying to muddy soil you don't need to.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

Man, I never realized how insane my food and drink surplus was. I really should slow down my food production so I'm not wasting so much carpentry on barrels.

put one of your fish processors to work, goddamn

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

Man, I never realized how insane my food and drink surplus was. I really should slow down my food production so I'm not wasting so much carpentry on barrels.

Are you using wood for barrels? Invest in rock pots instead.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hihohe posted:

Are you using wood for barrels? Invest in rock pots instead.

If you care about sustainability and/or offending the elves, then instead make a bunch of ceramic pots using charcoal as the fuel for your kilns and ash as your glaze if you lack fire clay.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I still haven't figured out pottery. I designated a clay tile as a clay gathering zone and put gather clay on repeat at the kiln, but I only have like 5 clay in my stocks and my dwarves wont gather any more. I like the idea of switching over to glazed pots and freeing up one of my carpenters though.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

I still haven't figured out pottery. I designated a clay tile as a clay gathering zone and put gather clay on repeat at the kiln, but I only have like 5 clay in my stocks and my dwarves wont gather any more. I like the idea of switching over to glazed pots and freeing up one of my carpenters though.

Do you have a stone stockpile set up near your kiln to accept only clay "stone"?

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

hello i am your heart how nice to meet you
I have a bunch of iron items designated for melting sitting in a stockpile right next to the magma smelter, but my smelter dwarfs keep cancelling the melt jobs saying there are no items. What gives?

Also most of my massive glass weapons aren't showing up as available for my weapon traps, even though I can see them sitting in a nearby bin, available and unforbidden.

On a less frustrating note, this comic reminded me of some of the things I've seen show up at my forts.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

So... I think I've got an idea for my first big project. Dwarves like waterfalls, right? What about manufactured ones? My settlement is located in a heavily forested valley that sees quite a bit of rain. The actual entrance is situated in the crook of a hillside that juts out and sort of curves around the foot of the mountain. I want to carve out the entrance a bit more, dig out all the ramps, and build it up bigger. In front, I'll make a drawbridge, which will lower to make a path over a large cistern. Said cistern will fill from the nearby river, and is where the water will pump from to make the waterfalls work. Nothing too fancy, but I think it should be a decent challenge for a first project.

One thing though, what's the best way to set up pump stacks? I get that I'll need a pump at every level, but is there a specific configuration needed? I'm guessing I'll need to power them all somehow and just have them all turn on or off with a lever.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

neogeo0823 posted:

So... I think I've got an idea for my first big project. Dwarves like waterfalls, right? What about manufactured ones? My settlement is located in a heavily forested valley that sees quite a bit of rain. The actual entrance is situated in the crook of a hillside that juts out and sort of curves around the foot of the mountain. I want to carve out the entrance a bit more, dig out all the ramps, and build it up bigger. In front, I'll make a drawbridge, which will lower to make a path over a large cistern. Said cistern will fill from the nearby river, and is where the water will pump from to make the waterfalls work. Nothing too fancy, but I think it should be a decent challenge for a first project.

One thing though, what's the best way to set up pump stacks? I get that I'll need a pump at every level, but is there a specific configuration needed? I'm guessing I'll need to power them all somehow and just have them all turn on or off with a lever.

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/v0.34:Screw_pump#Pump_stack There's how to do pumpstacks. As for power you can just hook up waterwheels to the flowing water at some point because that's how energy works :coffeepal:

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I personally have a very boring fortress design, wherein I basically have a central staircase which leads to various levels dedicated to things. My solution is to waterfalls is to put one right through said central staircase, so that no matter where dwarves are going or what they're doing they are in or around a waterfall. This results in such amazing thoughts and preferences screens as the double amputee who is ecstatic despite experiencing major trauma, being horrified, losing a spouse, losing a child, watching a spouse rot, watching a child rot, etc.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Shukaro posted:

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/v0.34:Screw_pump#Pump_stack There's how to do pumpstacks. As for power you can just hook up waterwheels to the flowing water at some point because that's how energy works :coffeepal:

So, if I'm reading that article right, I could build the stack, build a water wheel up top connected to the stack, have a dwarf hand crank the stack to get it flowing, and then it will power itself, correct? That seems incredibly convenient.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

neogeo0823 posted:

So, if I'm reading that article right, I could build the stack, build a water wheel up top connected to the stack, have a dwarf hand crank the stack to get it flowing, and then it will power itself, correct? That seems incredibly convenient.

Yep, just as long as you have enough waterwheels to power however many pumps there are.

GulMadred
Oct 20, 2005

I don't understand how you can be so mistaken.

Esme posted:

I have a bunch of iron items designated for melting sitting in a stockpile right next to the magma smelter, but my smelter dwarfs keep cancelling the melt jobs saying there are no items. What gives?
Do you have a nearby stockpile for ore boulders, which has been linked to the Magma Smelter, so that your Furnace Operators would stop walking a half-mile to grab a chunk of malachite instead of using the one right beside them?

If so, the smelter cannot accept input items from anywhere else.

Either remove the stockpile links for Smelters on which you're running Melt jobs, or add a link from the meltable-items stockpile so that it's also considered a viable input to the smelter buildings.

quote:

Also most of my massive glass weapons aren't showing up as available for my weapon traps, even though I can see them sitting in a nearby bin, available and unforbidden.
Bins are evil. Some peasant hauler has enqueued a job order which says "Pick up the bin, drag it five feet, and put another glass spike into it." Until he completes that task, the bin and any contents are off-limits to everyone else.

If you wait a while, the bin-hauling tasks will be completed and the weapons will become available.

You can avoid the bin problem by using minecarts (for efficient transport) and quantum stockpiles (for compact storage). In the meantime, ensure that your bins are made of wood so that bin hauling will be as fast as possible.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

Like sand, grass will grow over exposed clay tiles and make them unusable for collection purposes. One way to prevent this permanently is to get bare clay some way or other (construct a floor and then de-construct it works) and then build a grate on that tile, and the clay will remain exposed and grass won't ever grow back. There's another way to do this that involves constructing roads or some poo poo but I don't feel that's any easier or harder.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

So, I'm currently diving into the military of the game, which is something I've been dreading to do, but I need to learn this poo poo. I see that there are standard uniform templates for leather armor, metal armor, archers, and no uniform. I'm assuming there's more optimized setups than the default, right? What would that be? And once I assign uniforms to a squad, do I get a notification if they're, say, missing a piece, or do I have to check everyone individually?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

neogeo0823 posted:

get a notification

:laugh:

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

:sigh: Didn't think so.

I found this on the wiki:
code:
Going through like this for the rest of the body (most of it is simpler) gives you a final setup of;

Armor
1 x breastplate
3 x mail shirts
6 x cloaks

Armor (cheap)
6 x dress
3 x robe
3 x cloak

Legs
3 x long skirts
1 x greaves

Legs (no foreign items)
2 x trousers
1 x greaves

Legs (cheap)
2 x trousers
1 x leggings

Helm
1 x helm
6 x hood

Gloves
1 x pairs of gauntlets
1 x pairs of mittens

Gloves (cheap)
2 x pairs of gloves
1 x pairs of mittens

Boots †
1 x pairs of chausses
1 x pairs of high boots

Boots (no foreign items) †
1 x pairs of socks
1 x pairs of high boots

Boots (cheap) †
1 x pairs of socks
1 x pairs of shoes 
I gather that from each group, I pick one set, so either boots, or boots (no foreign items), or boots (cheap), and then I just have them equip the items in the chosen group in that order? With the armor groups going on last, right? I've got a poo poo ton of stuff to make for these guys.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

You can mouse over units in Dwarf Therapist and see what they've equipped, and they will have a different colored cell in their equipment status column for "fully equipped" vs "some problems" vs whatever red means (naked or something(

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Ok, well in that case, would that setup be best as a general purpose uniform? Obviously marksdwarves would need a separate uniform to account for the extra quiver, ammo, etc., but would that setup be just as good for wrestlers as it would for sword/hammerdwarves?

VerdantSquire
Jul 1, 2014

neogeo0823 posted:

Ok, well in that case, would that setup be best as a general purpose uniform? Obviously marksdwarves would need a separate uniform to account for the extra quiver, ammo, etc., but would that setup be just as good for wrestlers as it would for sword/hammerdwarves?

Generally the best idea for a full metal outfited squad is a Helmet, Breastplate, Chainmail, Gauntlets, Chainmail pants/Greaves (Your choice), and high boots, with a shield and choice of melee weapon if they are a melee squad and any crossbow if they are a ranged one. This covers pretty much every body part pretty darn well. You also don't need to worry about backpacks, quivers, ect. because dwarves will automatically equip them if needed.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Aside from the equipment itself, what exactly does a squad of crossbow wielding dwarves need to function? I know they need an archery range with enough targets that they could all theoretically train together, each target designated as it's own individual range. I know they need a barracks, but does it need anything specific? I figured 1 bed for each dwarf, but how many armor stands and weapon racks does it need?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Weapon racks, armor stands, chests and cabinets are purely decorative in the armory without DFHack's help. If you want people to bunk in the training area, just some beds will do.

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

hello i am your heart how nice to meet you

GulMadred posted:

Do you have a nearby stockpile for ore boulders, which has been linked to the Magma Smelter, so that your Furnace Operators would stop walking a half-mile to grab a chunk of malachite instead of using the one right beside them?

If so, the smelter cannot accept input items from anywhere else.

Either remove the stockpile links for Smelters on which you're running Melt jobs, or add a link from the meltable-items stockpile so that it's also considered a viable input to the smelter buildings.

Bins are evil. Some peasant hauler has enqueued a job order which says "Pick up the bin, drag it five feet, and put another glass spike into it." Until he completes that task, the bin and any contents are off-limits to everyone else.

If you wait a while, the bin-hauling tasks will be completed and the weapons will become available.

You can avoid the bin problem by using minecarts (for efficient transport) and quantum stockpiles (for compact storage). In the meantime, ensure that your bins are made of wood so that bin hauling will be as fast as possible.

Ah, thank you, that explains both problems. The stockpile-linking one is kind of counter-intuitive.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

scamtank posted:

Weapon racks, armor stands, chests and cabinets are purely decorative in the armory without DFHack's help. If you want people to bunk in the training area, just some beds will do.

That's good to know. Anything else I have to keep in mind as far as a squad of crossbowdwarves goes?

EDIT: Man, humans can go eat a bowl of dicks. Their trade caravan came today, loaded down with all sorts of poo poo. So I haul out all my trinkets and attempt to trade. I mark all my poo poo down for the trade, and mark what I want from him, indicating that he's gonna net a tidy 3 thousand dwarfbucks profit from this. I hit offer, and he just says "I can't fathom you leaving with all of those items". Ok, so I unmark a bunch of poo poo that I only kinda-wanted and take off some of my stuff to balance it out, and he says the same thing when I re-offer. So I try again, which prompt him to get pissy with me and refuse to trade. So gently caress it, I'm seizing his goods. Maybe he'll take this seriously next time around. Pudgy bastard.

neogeo0823 fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Feb 24, 2015

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

Trader logic is a black box, but I'm pretty sure that given the same profit margin, traders are more likely to refuse a tiny number of immensely valuable items as opposed to a loving mountain of tourist trash.

e: jesus christ stop bagging all of these elephants where am I going to put all of this lard

scamtank fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Feb 24, 2015

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
In 100% honesty if you try and minmax your military uniforms before you're ready you're going to go nuts. Yeah it's possible to wear a bunch of chain shirts and a bunch of boots or whatever but it isn't really that necessary and takes quite a bit of micromanagement.

Just use the metal uniform for melee and duplicate it and change melee weapon to crossbow for ranged and I promise that will be great for 99% of situations.

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Moridin920 posted:

Just use the metal uniform for melee and duplicate it and change melee weapon to crossbow for ranged and I promise that will be great for 99% of situations.

This is absolutely correct. Don't stress about it. Make sure you have plenty of whatever armor you want (definitely more than you need), pick metal uniform and assign a weapon of your choice, and go with it. On the occasions it doesn't work, dwarves and time are your cheapest resources. Close the main gate and wait until the new recruits are sufficiently trained, then cull them all over again.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Besides metal is much easier to work on and get started, and also much more vertisaile than leather.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

neogeo0823 posted:

That's good to know. Anything else I have to keep in mind as far as a squad of crossbowdwarves goes?

You might want to set up your ammunition screen so that your dwarves will only use wooden/bone bolts for training and metal bolts for combat if you haven't already. This way your dwarves wont waste useful ammo on training and wont try to kill enemies with wooden bolts.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

There's issues with switching between the two, though. They just won't let go of whatever bolts they've got until the quiver itself falls off their belts, so a red alert probably means your trainees will be charging into battle with balsawood darts.

Then again, even bone will work if the targets have exposed skin to introduce venom through...

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Oh, I wasn't aware of that little quirk. So you can use poisoned bolts? How well does that work out?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

With DFHack's help, sure. You just need some specific reactions to call the scripts that splatter the weapon/quarrel with whatever poison you have handy. It's part of the baseline DFHack suite, I'm sure you have some example raws in the \hack directory about ADD_SPATTER stuff.

The base game already shows how it's done. The cave tribes like spiking their blowdarts with giant cave spider neurotoxin, it's just that you as a player don't have any means to do so by default. You could try and drop some arrows into a puddle of discarded poison, but that'd wash off instantly in rain.

If you don't have any tropical humans around to sell you super-hyper-fuckyou-gangrene death juices from snakes and Aussie spiders, even your everyday honey bee venom is a pretty great table-tipper. In the amounts that it's introduced, just a little nick in the skin causes local swelling and horrendous pain. When you're hunting medium game, the first hit is all you need for the dogs to catch up.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I'm pretty unfamiliar with DFHack, but it sounds like it'd be worth learning for that. I've got this incredible image in my mind of an elite dwarven commando squad armed with poisoned bolts and war gorillas that I really want to turn into a reality.

tweet my meat fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Feb 24, 2015

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Why didn't anyone tell me pots hold twice as much as barrels what the gently caress

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Flesh Forge posted:

Why didn't anyone tell me pots hold twice as much as barrels what the gently caress

What?? Is there any easy way to transfer the contents of all my barrels to rock pots?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Sell the barrels when traders come :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The proper solution for dealing with different types of bolts is to have multiple squads. Nicknaming dwarves is also useful.

I set my ranged military up like this:
Archery Combat squad(s), which is assigned 100 metal bolts per dwarf, a proper uniform which replaces clothing.
Archery Training squad(s), which is assigned 100 bone and/or wood bolts per dwarf, a uniform consisting of nothing but a crossbow which is worn over clothing.

When there is not something that needs serious attention, all combat squads are disbanded and everyone piles into the training squads. When there is something that needs attention, all training squads are disbanded and everyone piles into the combat squads. Transitioning from one squad to another, for whatever reason, seems to actually encourage dwarves to evaluate their equipped items including quivers and bolts. It helps to have spare, empty quivers in or near your ammo stockpile.

Keep in mind that the vast majority of what the game throws at you does NOT require what I am calling "serious attention," especially once you are familiar with game mechanics. Goblins, wildlife, most megabeasts and procedurally generated monsters that do not outright die to bone or wood bolts are not dangerous enough to be a huge threat, and can easily be isolated and used for live fire training. It's the things with breath, cloud, and web attacks that you need to look out for, and which deserve to be destroyed as quickly and safely as possible. But something like a squad of goblin pikemen or a bronze colossus or a werelemur can be safely locked between a pair of bridges or doors and plinked away at from above (via bars or grates) or the side (via bars, grates, or fortifications).