Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Chief Savage Man posted:

You can trade provinces that you own (not just occupy) through the open negotiations menu. In order to own them you'll have to get them legally transferred to you either through a peace deal or having either you or the Nats annex them. I can't remember with regards to Italy but Japan is in a separate alliance from the Axis because otherwise they'd be automatically dragged into war with the USSR.

If he's not allied with national Spain he'll have to go into misc.txt and change the 'trade provinces' value.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Another question. No matter where I look I can't find out what ESE means? It says my troops fight at -40 because of ESE.. I .. don't know why that is?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Affi posted:

Another question. No matter where I look I can't find out what ESE means? It says my troops fight at -40 because of ESE.. I .. don't know why that is?

Got a screenshot? I wanna say Effective Supply Efficiency but it's been a bit since I've played DH.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Bort Bortles posted:

Re: generalchat in PDox games-
In EU4 I would really like in if the General and Admiral system would get an overhaul and you would always have a general in charge of an army (except 1 stacks, or any army that is over size X, or has over half of your combat width of infantry and cavalry, or something). Depending on your army/navy tradition and ideas, the generals would start with better stats. These generals and admirals could improve over time and gain traits like they can in CKII and HoI. Because of the time period, these generals could have traits that make them more liable to rebel or do other "internal management" esque things. The Mil/Dip point cost could then be associated with firing generals or admirals with bad traits instead of hiring them.
One thing I am not a huge fan of is investing 50mil or 50 dip points in a general or admiral only for them to be dogshit awful, and I dont even play Ironman so I really could fix the issue with the console if I wanted. I just think it would be great if every army and navy had a 'captain' or something and you could promote them to a full time general/admiral for a few MPs, and it would cost MPs to fire bad generals/admirals.

Honestly EUIV needs a royal court system where I can have more than one heir so when my 30 year-old heir dies I'm not having to save-scum so I don't get locked into a 16 year regency of boringness. It would also make Pretender revolts have some more gusto to it.

Also the War of the Roses.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Drone posted:

Got a screenshot? I wanna say Effective Supply Efficiency but it's been a bit since I've played DH.

Yeah, it's Effective Supply Efficiency.

Generally that's affected by the infrastructure of the province you're in, so try to avoid fighting in low infrastructure provinces if possible. The upside is that your opponent will also get ESE disadvantages, so it mostly balances out.

You can also temporarily increase your ESE significantly by putting units into Offensive mode in exchange for a big one-time expenditure of supplies and oil. This boosts your ESE by (I think) 50% for 30 days, which can provide a big combat boost to break through your opponent's lines--hence, Offensive mode.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
Somebody on the Paradox forums is very upset about HoI4 sprites doing push-ups.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
I am not surprised that armchair generals are opposed to push-ups.

MilkmanLuke
Jul 4, 2012

I'm da prettiest, so I'm da boss.

Baus is boss.

I was just about to post about that. I started reading through the Paradox forum in anticipation of HoI4 and I can't tell what's worse with that, the OP or all the solemn agreement.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

I think this is the real issue behind the hate

quote:

I'm against doing pushups and jumping jacks in real life.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

V for Vegas posted:

One guy said it was fat shaming. :ughh:

I'm sorry, but in case you haven't noticed blobby, but soldiers are fit.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Paradox Plaza is inhabited by the most boring ultranationalists ever I swear to god.

Podcat, can you make the soldiers also roll cigarettes, eat spam, and loot Nazi corpses?

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
They do smoke.

Some people are going to boycott us though :ohdear:
:byewhore:

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Darkrenown posted:

They do smoke.

loving make rome 2 jesus christ :argh:

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Darkrenown posted:

They do smoke.

Can you make a Mesopotamian birth-of-civilsation era game too pls?
I thank

I wanna get my assyrian empire on.

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
HoI4 For Kinect: The more jumping jacks you do, the stronger your armies become

Also if the Kinect detects you doing a Nazi salute or uttering the words "Heil Hitler" the game automatically turns itself off

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Oberleutnant posted:

Can you make a Mesopotamian birth-of-civilsation era game too pls?
I thank

I wanna get my assyrian empire on.

I'm in if I can play as the Harappans.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
Uh, I made Rome II a while back:

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

V for Vegas posted:

Jokes exist, and are very real.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Takanago posted:

Also if the Kinect detects you doing a Nazi salute or uttering the words "Heil Hitler" the game automatically turns itself off

Nah, just make the AI always roll higher than the player for the rest of the game, especially at the beginning of combat. Only give the player winning rolls when the fight is already determined to minimize detection.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Funky Valentine posted:

Paradox Plaza is inhabited by the most boring ultranationalists ever I swear to god.

Podcat, can you make the soldiers also roll cigarettes, eat spam, and loot Nazi corpses?

Make the soldiers wave little flags that shittalk various Balkan countries.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Darkrenown posted:

Uh, I made Rome II a while back:

Bullshit, you haven't even started on the engine there. :colbert:

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
The HoI 4 map/interface is really gorgeous, by the way.

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

Kavak posted:

Why the hell didn't someone tell me about this blog sooner, it owns. Including submissions from Hearts of Iron III is cheating, though.

Yeah, I've been slacking on updating that blog lately. Please send screenshots.

You guys would be amused by the occasional reblogs I get from people who don't realize it's a screenshot blog and think I'm trying to insult Mother Canada with scary revisionist maps or something.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

YF-23 posted:

Bullshit, you haven't even started on the engine there. :colbert:

Zing.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

Darkrenown posted:

They do smoke.

I always giggle a little when I see someone having written with big red text in their signatures BOYCOTT since before the release of EU4 but they still discuss about features in EU4, the DLC's and even new CK2 DLC's saying how bad and horrible it is. I don't know if they know what the word boycott means, I would say they were pirating probably if it wasn't for the forum badges.

I have a boycott ongoing on some game companies I don't like, and what I do is really really simple..... I don't buy games I don't like or products of companies I don't like. Its simpler than you think!

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
I refuse to boycott Paradox until they come up with a gender neutral term for economic embargoes against individual companies.

Drone posted:

As far as Communist Germany goes, it's possible from the 33 start and it's sortakinda fun for a change, I guess. I don't recall if vanilla DH adds the flavor events for Communist Germany or if that was a mod I played years ago, but I know you have some stuff like deciding your brand of communism, picking a new country name/flag, etc. And I want to say Communist Germany gets some kind of equivalent of the Treaty of Munich/Anschluss/Danzig or War decisions too, but don't quote me on that. The only time I ever did a Communist Germany game, I didn't join COMINTERN and instead carved my own Slightly-Less-Oppressive communist bloc out of Europe, and eventually was at war with the Soviets.

As Germany, being allied to the USSR is basically cheating.

:tipshat:

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?613550-Communist-Germany-mod

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Lol why is the base EUIV on sale but literally none of the other content? I don't wanna buy just the base game but a 100 dollas is a lot of money.

VerdantSquire
Jul 1, 2014

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Lol why is the base EUIV on sale but literally none of the other content? I don't wanna buy just the base game but a 100 dollas is a lot of money.

All the DLC have added free stuff to the vanilla game as well. You'll still be missing out on a good deal of stuff (especially without Art of War!), but its not like you'll be playing EU4 at launch. It's a good buy if you want to check out the game without blowing all of your money on the DLC as well.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Groogy posted:

I always giggle a little when I see someone having written with big red text in their signatures BOYCOTT since before the release of EU4 but they still discuss about features in EU4, the DLC's and even new CK2 DLC's saying how bad and horrible it is. I don't know if they know what the word boycott means, I would say they were pirating probably if it wasn't for the forum badges.

I have a boycott ongoing on some game companies I don't like, and what I do is really really simple..... I don't buy games I don't like or products of companies I don't like. Its simpler than you think!

Yeah but do you actively post on all those companies' message boards every day about how much you were betrayed by their latest release and will be boycotting them forever and ever, complete with a rebel flag avatar to show your perpetual displeasure?

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Oberleutnant posted:

loving make rome 2 jesus christ :argh:

Victoria 3. :colbert:

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

VerdantSquire posted:

All the DLC have added free stuff to the vanilla game as well. You'll still be missing out on a good deal of stuff (especially without Art of War!), but its not like you'll be playing EU4 at launch. It's a good buy if you want to check out the game without blowing all of your money on the DLC as well.
Ech, it's just the same as with CK2, I don't want the basic game, I want the full-ish experience, for that I got the big bundle with the main DLC and a bunch of the superflous bullshit packaged together for an OK-ish price.

I mean, not a single DLC on sale? What the heck.

vyelkin posted:

Yeah but do you actively post on all those companies' message boards every day about how much you were betrayed by their latest release and will be boycotting them forever and ever, complete with a rebel flag avatar to show your perpetual displeasure?
Individual boycotts are a laughable idea in of itself, but the bideogame companies I "boycott" I just torrent, to make sure that they don't get my money. Or borrow from friends with worse taste.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

Deceitful Penguin posted:

I mean, not a single DLC on sale? What the heck.

They'll probably be on sale when El Dorado is released.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Yeah, whenever an expansion comes out there's usually a 50-75% off sale on previous DLC's either that same week or the week after.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

vyelkin posted:

gently caress no, too much effort. When I come home I want to play games, not be angry.

Also I don't torrent games I boycott, for one then I become part of statistics that say that these people could possibly pay for the game if we become even bigger assholes(stronger DRM, probably a motivator to why Sim City became like it did but I'm only guessing). Second if I say I'm boycotting something I'm kinda cheating if I pirate it. Having the cake and eating it to. You have to keep in mind companies have inertia to change and will rather brute force their results instead of actually changing themselves, just like every average human I guess :colbert:

Groogy fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Feb 24, 2015

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

Darkrenown posted:

Back in my game design class at uni we once had to propose a change to an existing game and write up why you thought it would improve the game - My idea was adding unit XP to EUIII.

So next expansion then, thank you for that!

I hope you guys have enough time for that while working on Victoria 3 and the EU4 to Victoria converter.

Fake edit: I think I own more than 200 euro worth of EU4 dlc drat you steam

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

quote:

Febuary 23rd, 2015 is a day I will always remember. It was the day I became cynical, bitter, and distraught. You may call it an overreaction for me to feel this way simply because of the business practices of a single video game company, but let me explain what all of this means to me.

My life was thrown off balance and I never regained my footing after that day, because I lost my ability to respect. An essential part of being human is to feel respect for those who may or may not be deserving of it. But it is equally human to feel painful disillusionment when someone or something you respected turns out to be much less than you thought. But the level of betrayal I felt when Paradox announced their new animation tore something from me that I'll never be able to recover. They tore away my ability to respect anything, and they tore away my ability to feel human.

Paradox Interactive was a company I respected, and their employees were people I looked up to. Crusader Kings, Europa Universalis, Victoria, and Hearts of Iron were all quality game series that combined historical accuracy with sandbox game worlds. These games may have been cartoony and humorous at times, but deep down they were always realistic and crafted with a level of detail and skill that won appreciation from gamers all across the internet. EU4 was their newest release, and the internet was in unanimous agreement that it was of unparallelled quality. Following it's long awaited release, Paradox began releasing quality DLC that raised the bar ever higher for Grand Strategy Games.

Then pushups were announced. This was not just an announcement of features, it was announcement of Paradox Interactive's suicide. It was a change intended to completely disregard any historical accuracy, and instead shock the entire world with its lunacy. Paradox Interactive had gone off the deep end and raised the middle finger to everybody who stayed loyal to them. They had announced that they didn't care anymore, that they didn't care for their community, and they were going to go out of their way to sabotage everything they had spent years creating.

The pain I felt from this betrayal has destroyed me on an emotional level, and has deprived me of my primary source of entertainment. No longer can I play Grand Strategy games without remembering the day I ceased mattering to people I devoted myself to. Paradox had not just destroyed me or their company, they had destroyed the one force of stability in the world: Trust.

:golfclap:

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Honestly I wonder how much of the Paradox Forums insanity is intentional trolling by every other forum on the internet looking to quote it.

Then I realize Kerberos Studio's forums are worse and it's probably real :smith:

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

That thread is beautiful in every possible way. Pdox forums should implement something akin to Goldmine for threads like this.

Please make NATO counters do push-ups.

And instead of push-ups, make Soviet sprites squat.

fuck off Batman fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Feb 24, 2015

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Yeah, pushups weren't even invented until the 1960s, what were you guys thinking?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Disco Infiva posted:

And instead of push-ups, make Soviet sprites squat.

I think squatting is a post-USSR thing. A large enough cluster should break out into a hopak, complete with instruments. Each nation should have culturally suitable idles like that (Americans will make card tables or baseball games, Commonwealth will start setting up cricket matches, French will just sit around a coffee table and smoke drearily, etc.)

• Locked thread