Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

drgitlin posted:

Conceivably, you could get to Red Hen when it opens and put your name down for a table, then go have a drink at Rustik or Boundary Stone or El Camino or Costa Brava (jesus I remember this neighborhood when you couldn't do any of that) until the table was ready. But the metro is a long walk in this weather.

In Capitol Hill there's also Beucharts.

80 and G8 bus lines drop off within a block of Red Hen though, so those are easier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IndianaZoidberg
Aug 21, 2011

My name isnt slick, its Zoidberg. JOHN F***ING ZOIDBERG!
Anyone have a good spot for Gyros in DC or MD? I want some delicious stick meat!

OnceIWasAnOstrich
Jul 22, 2006

IndianaZoidberg posted:

Anyone have a good spot for Gyros in DC or MD? I want some delicious stick meat!

Marathon Deli in College Park.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

IndianaZoidberg posted:

A doner kebab (ok, call it a gyro if you must) isn't really meat-on-a-stick though. If you want a good shish kebab, how about Kabob Palace in Crystal City?

I feel the need to pimp Meats and Foods to this thread, it's on the corner of Florida Ave and 3rd St NW, and their sausages are amazing. And they're bloody nice people too.

OnceIWasAnOstrich
Jul 22, 2006

drgitlin posted:

A doner kebab (ok, call it a gyro if you must) isn't really meat-on-a-stick though.

Meat-that-was-on-a-stick-and-then-sliced-off.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.

drgitlin posted:

I feel the need to pimp Meats and Foods to this thread, it's on the corner of Florida Ave and 3rd St NW, and their sausages are amazing. And they're bloody nice people too.
Meats & Foods is fantastic. Like 4 blocks from my firm's office so whenever I come to town for work, it's one of the first places I get lunch(also Sundevich).

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Veritek83 posted:

Meats & Foods is fantastic. Like 4 blocks from my firm's office so whenever I come to town for work, it's one of the first places I get lunch(also Sundevich).

Great addition to the neighborhood. DCity Smokehouse at 8 Florida NW is amazing as well - one of the few local places for which I will recommend its BBQ.

Lurchington
Jan 2, 2003

Forums Dragoon
for gyros, if you can make it out to Vienna VA, definitely try http://www.yelp.com/biz/plaka-grill-vienna

DARPA Dad
Dec 9, 2008
Mamma's Kitchen in Alexandria has incredible gyros.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.

DARPA Dad posted:

Yes. In the dining desert that is Rt. 1, Mamma's Kitchen is an oasis. A family/casual sort of oasis, but still. I used to work out of a storefront in the shopping center there, like right after Mamma's opened and I would eat there 4-5 times a week.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related

DARPA Dad posted:

Hey I live 2 miles from there. I'll have to investigate

xilni
Feb 26, 2014

Wachepti posted:

Chinatown Express owns pretty hard, get the noodles.

Yep, reminds me of the canto places I used to eat at all the time in Toronto. Good beef in black bean sauce on rice noodles.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
There should be much rejoicing in the DMV, for Peter Chang has returned and you no longer need to drive to Fredricksburg!

We had one bad dish (the sautéed chicken with sichuan peppers; should have made sure to get boneless) but otherwise it was excellent (and as good as at the more southern VA locations).

It's still in a soft open so don't expect anything to drink other than water or tea, the service is still working out some kinks, and there were a few menu items that weren't available (the crispy duck).

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
At the threads advice the wife, kid and I will check out Mamas Kitchen in Alexandria tonight.

DARPA Dad
Dec 9, 2008

Mercury Ballistic posted:

At the threads advice the wife, kid and I will check out Mamas Kitchen in Alexandria tonight.

Hope you enjoyed it. It's one of my haunts.

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen
Finally made it to Thip Kao tonight, and was very pleasantly impressed. Large portions, the crispy rice salad would have been a meal unto itself, and the beef tongue from the jungle menu was great. We also got the salmon banana leaf wrap, which was massive and had to take home. And I was very happily surprised to see both Beer Lao and Beer Lao Dark on the menu. Solid recommendation. Thanks the_chavi!

DARPA Dad
Dec 9, 2008
Where can I get good soup dumplings? Or soup dumplings at all, really.

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen
The general DC chat thread just talked about dumplings this week.

Trebuchet King posted:

On the subject of restaurants--any of y'all have particularly earnest recommendations for someplace that serves bao?

LuiCypher posted:

I can't really think of any that have them as a prominent menu item outside of Dim Sum. Though I think my favorite Chinese restaurant in the District, Chinatown Express, does serve some. The skin is less bready and has more of a gyoza-like consistency, though.

That being said, there are some Chinese restaurants outside of DC that serve the more bready kind as part of their Dim Sim. I'm partial to the former Good Fortune (now renamed Gourmet Inspirations) in Wheaton, though I'm sure everyone has their own recommendations.

Trebuchet King posted:

I haven't had Dim Sum since I was six and living in Panama City, Panama--is it the kind of thing I can enjoy solo? I remember carts zooming around and tables of, like, eight or ten. I wouldn't be opposed to rediscovering it, so recommendations in that vein are also good. I will keep your other advisements in mind, of course, and thank you for them!

het posted:

Sharing is better but it's not totally unreasonable solo. There's a number of places in Silver Spring and Wheaton that have it daily (carts only on weekends), Oriental East in Silver Spring, Hollywood East, Wong Gee, and Gourmet Inspirations (where Good Fortune used to be) in Wheaton. Wong Gee is notable in that they actually serve it all day if you have a particular hankering for it. There's also A&J, which has locations in Rockville and Annandale, though they do "northern style" dim sum, which seems to involve more noodles and has less of a variety of dumplings (the pot stickers kick the rear end of anyplace else though). The noodles are really good though (when they ask you for thick or thin, get thick, they're hand-made, I think the thin aren't).

There's also a place in Silver Spring opened by the same people who run Scion called Nainai's Noodle and Dumpling, which I've been meaning to try but haven't gotten around to. I think it's slightly less traditional, maybe more fusion-y, but the menu sounds appealing.

ChickenArise posted:

Speaking of dumplings, what are some favorite dumpling places in DC/NoVA?

LuiCypher posted:

This is the best Dim Sum post [the post by het two posts prior]. All of the places named here are the real deal - I can't bring myself to even consider Ping Pong Dim Sum when I know it's overpriced and I know these places exist.

Midjack posted:

Fortune, in Seven Corners in VA, is also thoroughly decent dim sum.

bamhand posted:

If you like Cantonese food (of which dim sum is a subset) XO Taste is across the street from Mark's and also amazing.

So, unfortunately nothing specific on soup dumplings, but those might be good places to start looking. I've also heard of House of Fortune in Maclean, specifically on soup dumplings.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Is there anywhere to get Cambodian food in the DC area?

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Is there anywhere to get Cambodian food in the DC area?

I've been able to get some Cambodian desserts from Eden Center but otherwise not that I'm aware of. I'd love to hear if you find anything.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
Can anyone chime in on Frederick eats? Gonna be up there tomorrow with the wife for the night.

SUBFRIES
Apr 10, 2008

Can anyone chime in on Frederick eats? Gonna be up there tomorrow with the wife for the night.

I've been to Family Meal a couple times and really enjoyed it. Haven't been to Volt, but a few friends have & raved about it. Not sure what else is up there, but probably a few more options?

El Miguel
Oct 30, 2003

Had dinner once at a place called JoJo's in downtown Frederick. Not bad at all. They had gator on the menu, which I did not expect in this part of the country.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related

SUBFRIES posted:

I've been to Family Meal a couple times and really enjoyed it. Haven't been to Volt, but a few friends have & raved about it. Not sure what else is up there, but probably a few more options?

Well we had lunch at Family Meal. Quite happy with what we ordered. Not sure where we will go for dinner.

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

Went to Mama's Kitchen last weekend. It was good and it had to be since my family was pissed about the long as drive. I guess I forgot how huge Alexandria is.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

Bunk Rogers posted:

Went to Mama's Kitchen last weekend. It was good and it had to be since my family was pissed about the long as drive. I guess I forgot how huge Alexandria is.

Yeah, especially as that part is actually Fairfax County and only Alexandria on paper/according to USPS. Trying to explain to people that I grew up in Alexandria, but not in Alexandria can get confusing. I usually just describe the whole stretch of Rt. 1 south of Old Town down to Ft. Belvoir as Mt. Vernon.

I hit up Sugar Shack on Friday morning- $20 for a dozen donuts doesn't feel right, but it does taste right.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related

Veritek83 posted:

Yeah, especially as that part is actually Fairfax County and only Alexandria on paper/according to USPS. Trying to explain to people that I grew up in Alexandria, but not in Alexandria can get confusing. I usually just describe the whole stretch of Rt. 1 south of Old Town down to Ft. Belvoir as Mt. Vernon.

I hit up Sugar Shack on Friday morning- $20 for a dozen donuts doesn't feel right, but it does taste right.

Same problem, I just say Mt vernon or Ft Hunt as well. Anyone else frequent Thai Nakkorn just up from Ft Belvoir on Rt 1?

For goons who cook Asia Bazzar in the same area is a great place to pick up Sw Asia and Indian basics and whatnot.

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen
This thread hasn't led me wrong yet, so I'll give it a shot...

I have family coming into town for a graduation on Thursday, and going out for dinner with some local family friends on Thursday night. Any recommendations for a reasonably priced, good restaurant that some people who've been living in DC for 25 years wouldn't be bored by? 6 people, all relatively adventurous eaters, no restrictions.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

CronoGamer posted:

So, unfortunately nothing specific on soup dumplings, but those might be good places to start looking. I've also heard of House of Fortune in Maclean, specifically on soup dumplings.
Chinatown Express has them (I think they're just labeled "pork bun" though?) and I know Joe's Noodle House in Rockville has them.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH
My partner and I are going to be visiting DC for 3 days in July. What are this thread's top picks that we shouldn't miss?

Cost isn't really an issue but we won't want to go to anywhere too stuff, i.e. we won't want to dress up too smart, we're on holiday!

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

CronoGamer posted:

This thread hasn't led me wrong yet, so I'll give it a shot...

I have family coming into town for a graduation on Thursday, and going out for dinner with some local family friends on Thursday night. Any recommendations for a reasonably priced, good restaurant that some people who've been living in DC for 25 years wouldn't be bored by? 6 people, all relatively adventurous eaters, no restrictions.

What about Thally on 9th St?

DARPA Dad
Dec 9, 2008

Lord of the Llamas posted:

My partner and I are going to be visiting DC for 3 days in July. What are this thread's top picks that we shouldn't miss?

Cost isn't really an issue but we won't want to go to anywhere too stuff, i.e. we won't want to dress up too smart, we're on holiday!

DCity Smokehouse has the best BBQ in the city if you like that. Corduroy is one of the top 3 or so best restaurants in DC. Bistro Bis is serving the best french cuisine around, aside from Marcel's (go to Marcel's if you can afford it/get a table). Le Diplomate is great. BLT Steak gets my vote for best steakhouse inside the city proper (Ray's in Arlington beats it out, if only for the superior prices). Wiseguy NY Pizza serves up hands down the best pizza in the area, and I'm willing to say would be a top 5 joint even in NYC. Casa Luca for great italian. Daikaya and Toki Underground for fantastic ramen.

DARPA Dad fucked around with this message at 22:57 on May 22, 2015

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

Lord of the Llamas posted:

Rose's Luxury has gotten a good bit of national food press and isn't at all a formal setting.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Veritek83 posted:

Rose's Luxury has gotten a good bit of national food press and isn't at all a formal setting.

Do they still not take reservations and make you wait for hours outside for a table? Because.

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Wroughtirony posted:

Do they still not take reservations and make you wait for hours outside for a table? Because.

Yeah that's a thing.

I love Bluejacket at the Arsenal - the beer brewery/restaurant owned by Neighborhood Restaurant Group (Churchkey, etc). The food is good, the beers are excellent, and the venue, an old mortars factory, is super cool. Just don't go on a home game for the Nats!

BLARGHLE
Oct 2, 2013

But I want something good
to die for
To make it beautiful to live.
Yams Fan
I've lived in this area for like 28 years, and never been to Ben's Chili Bowl. Is it any good? I have one friend telling me it's terrible, but it's the only place in DC that ever gets mentioned in those tv shows about various cities landmark eateries or whatever.

What's some decent, quick, not-crazy-expensive food near the Bier Baron Tavern?

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
It's more an institution than it is good.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Xandu posted:

It's more an institution than it is good.
Yeah, I mean I enjoy a halfsmoke or chili cheese fries from time to time but it isn't spectacular culinarily speaking or anything

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

Wroughtirony posted:

Yeah, though (anecdotally) it's much less worse these days.

Ben's is solid for half smokes, etc. but isn't really about the food. If you're really looking for the good sausage, I like Meats and Foods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

I had a Ben's open up near me recently (Rosslyn). I pop over now and then for lunch which is nice, but it's still better drunk food than anything. The main reason to go there is to watch the servers heckle all the office workers with the same bad jokes over and over again.

• Locked thread