Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

You are a creature that lived, for less than a second, in the screaming, expanding, exploding nothingness of the big bang. You lived in a universe that was less than a meter across and you died.

And something weirder than you made a deal, and now you're back and you can shape the slowly cooling and accreting spheres of matter to something that will welcome life and death or will you smother all existence in the cradle. Meanwhile something, some machine, tries to stop you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006

Strontosaurus posted:

Wolves didn't even exist while Pangaea was around. My hypothesis is that Father Wolf was actually a dino. Please set a Uratha game during the Mesozoic Era.

i have used an ancient spirit of tyrannosaurus that spent sixty five million years as increasingly bizarre magath before trying to reconquer its original essence as a monster of the week before

Strontosaurus
Sep 11, 2001

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

i have used an ancient spirit of tyrannosaurus that spent sixty five million years as increasingly bizarre magath before trying to reconquer its original essence as a monster of the week before

Tell me more.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006

Strontosaurus posted:

Tell me more.

It was an ancient predator-spirit embodying the tyrant lizard king, it persisted long after the k-t more or less unchanged but gradually took on more and more the essence of pure hunger and predation, and cockroaches, until the 20th century when it found some reconstructed fossils of its old self in the Smithsonian and could start piecing itself back together again from the public imagination version. it ended up possessing the fossils and being materialized by a Mage who wanted an impressive super weapon to use against Those loving Seers in georgetown, before the TF:V pcs hosed it all up and blasted it to bits

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Feb 23, 2015

Educator
Feb 22, 2015
I would play a game of Promethean set in a Borders. It would explain why they shut them all down. It's actually Frankensteins, not a dying distribution model.

Strontosaurus
Sep 11, 2001

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

It was an ancient predator-spirit embodying the tyrant lizard king, it persisted long after the k-t more or less unchanged but gradually took on more and more the essence of pure hunger and predation, and cockroaches, until the 20th century when it found some reconstructed fossils of its old self in the Smithsonian and could start piecing itself back together again from the public imagination version. it ended up possessing the fossils and being materialized by a Mage who wanted an impressive super weapon to use against Those loving Seers in georgetown, before the TF:V pcs hosed it all up and blasted it to bits

That's awesome. Why cockroaches?

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
They're the ultimate survivors :v:

My original plan was, the whole encounter was going to be a lot longer and involve the PCs needing to enlist the help of the ghosts and spirits of the American History museum to stop the shenanigans of this one wacky Thyrsus causing problems in Natural History. Imagine the weary murder-spirits of the guns of the Somme, or whatever horrifying entity lies waiting in Enola Gay over a Air&Space. I canned it when one of the players made a "night at the museum" joke though.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Feb 23, 2015

Strontosaurus
Sep 11, 2001

FYI I'm stealing your cockroach/dinosaur hybrid idea. The only problem is that none of my players would ever be surprised by something like that showing up.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
Post how it goes over. Definitely have it possess the skeleton and at least once let it roar at them from the wron side of sixty five million years of death.

Strontosaurus
Sep 11, 2001

It's probably something that will happen in my supers game. They're about to face a master tactician said to be possessed by a primordial war spirit. I don't see why such a thing couldn't be a terrifying bug-o-saur ghost!

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Educator posted:

I would play a game of Promethean set in a Borders. It would explain why they shut them all down. It's actually Frankensteins, not a dying distribution model.

I read this book.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

The opening fiction to Dark Eras seems pretty funny in that there's all these different factions trying to take down the bad guy, and then when the mage shows up, the guy is just "Yeah, we handled it, like, millenia ago once. Only took one of us. Our boss says we can't do it again though. But good luck and stuff!"

bewilderment fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Feb 24, 2015

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012

Effectronica posted:

I read this book.

In the store?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
1600s Japan seems utterly played out, but that might be because of watching too much Anime. I could get behind it if it was Tokugawa Era Hunter since that would have tons of potential, but I can't really see the appeal of any other splat in that period. The post-war or pre-war periods of the Japan otoh, seem utterly magical in terms of some of their potential (also because of anime)

The golden Age of Piracy is actually around the same time and could also be interesting if it wasn't so focused on the Pirate part of it and maybe more on some of the more important locales like North Africa or the Caribbean. Quite a few more splats would work in this setting though, though Werewolf has their own version in Vikings.

Revolutionary America might be interesting as well, but it all depends on the splat tied to it.

Wars of Scottish Independence sound relatively bland without more to sell it (also possible amounts of :britain:) and the Mutapa Empire is a complete curveball, but it could be great.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

I have nothing to add except that I'm really glad I wasn't the only one that felt like Promethean in Home Depot would totally work.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

Xelkelvos posted:

Wars of Scottish Independence sound relatively bland without more to sell it (also possible amounts of :britain:)

Paging one Mr. DigitalRaven, Mr DigitalRaven to the thread please

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."

Kickstarter posted:

Wanted to let everybody know that we'll be adding Reward Tiers tomorrow, Tuesday the 24th, at 3pm EST US that allow backers to pledge for expansions to existing chapters as well as other new Reward Tiers that allow backers to either pick a Dark Era chapter from one of the ones we've already put into polls, or to even suggest a new Dark Era and matching gameline subject to editorial approval.

And there goes my money.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
If you weren't already quite sure that Rich Thomas knows his poo poo, you ought to be now.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Kellsterik posted:

In the store?

No. I bought it as an ebook and did a little dance to help ensure the death of Borders.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

I'm very curious as to how exactly the reward tiers would work. It might just throwing an extra bucket of money into the kickstarter to get '90s Home Depot Promethean written, or there could also be a chance to ask for certain setting/mechanical options to be included like alternate Changeling courts or Vampire bloodlines.

Ambi
Dec 30, 2011

Leave it to me

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

It was an ancient predator-spirit embodying the tyrant lizard king

I'm actually doing something similar for this for my Hunter game, only it's an Earthbound from oDemon, specifically the fallen angel who designed Tyrannosaurs, and was worshipped as a Predator God for some time in history. Currently they are behind a shadowy media/industrial conglomerate in Boston, the most prominent part of which is T-rex Electrex.
The Earthbound itself inhabits a fossilised skull, and has taken to using small stone-carved reconstructions as relays or temporary bodies when necessary.

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Luminous Obscurity posted:

And there goes my money.

I think it's time for TG to pool their money and get Home Depot Promethean officialized.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Home Depot Geist instead. It'll basically be Reaper.

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER
IKEA mage.

Dave Brookshaw
Jun 27, 2012

No Regrets
Nah. Twisting maze that you're never quite the same from after you do manage to finally find the exit? Ikea is much more Changeling.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Dave Brookshaw posted:

Nah. Twisting maze that you're never quite the same from after you do manage to finally find the exit? Ikea is much more Changeling.
If I had to choose between Ikea and the Hedge/Arcadia, I would choose the latter every time. At least I get something out of being trapped in that nightmare realm of suffering and torment.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Yawgmoth posted:

If I had to choose between Ikea and the Hedge/Arcadia, I would choose the latter every time. At least I get something out of being trapped in that nightmare realm of suffering and torment.

My local Ikea's always been a fairly straight, hassle-free experience. All complications are inserted by my mother and sister taking 15 minutes to browse Every. Single. loving. Section.

Also their chocolate bars and chocolate crisps rule and I will fight you on that :colbert:.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Kavak posted:

My local Ikea's always been a fairly straight, hassle-free experience. All complications are inserted by my mother and sister taking 15 minutes to browse Every. Single. loving. Section.

Also their chocolate bars and chocolate crisps rule and I will fight you on that :colbert:.

Their reindeer salami is fantastic and I will not fight anyone who disbelieves me as that means all the more for me. :v:

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

They're the ultimate survivors :v:

My original plan was, the whole encounter was going to be a lot longer and involve the PCs needing to enlist the help of the ghosts and spirits of the American History museum to stop the shenanigans of this one wacky Thyrsus causing problems in Natural History. Imagine the weary murder-spirits of the guns of the Somme, or whatever horrifying entity lies waiting in Enola Gay over a Air&Space. I canned it when one of the players made a "night at the museum" joke though.

I bet this game was cool.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Dave Brookshaw posted:

Just make it a crossover game with the God Machine trying to open up it's own portal to Arcadia via Swedish home furnishings and the rest writes itself.

Also Promethian/Geist Circuit City

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Let's get this one out of the way and just say: Vampire Hot Topic.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Vampire-run museum.

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
Please stop teasing us with these great game ideas. Post recrutment threads for them instead.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006

Attorney at Funk posted:

I bet this game was cool.

It was a lot of fun with a cool bunch of players!!

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

MonsieurChoc posted:

Vampire-run museum.

'A Bite at the Museum', you say.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."
New polls are up, everybody go vote for Africa!

To hell with Pirates in Home Quarters.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.

Luminous Obscurity posted:

New polls are up, everybody go vote for Africa!

To hell with Pirates in Home Quarters.

Voted for Africa, but of course pirates and samurai are jointly taking the lead :rolleyes:

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Flavivirus posted:

Voted for Africa, but of course pirates and samurai are jointly taking the lead :rolleyes:

At the time of this post it is near-equally Africa and Pirates at 26/27%, with only 30% voting for Samurai.

I guess I can be thankful for the only two largely lily-white options being in the no-chance zone.

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

Gerund posted:

At the time of this post it is near-equally Africa and Pirates at 26/27%, with only 30% voting for Samurai.

I guess I can be thankful for the only two largely lily-white options being in the no-chance zone.
Man, if they're dead set on doing pirates, they should do the other golden age of piracy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Gerund posted:

Samurai and pirates are at 30% while Africa languishes in third place with 24% :(

• Locked thread