Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

Drowning Rabbit posted:

Out of curiosity, will you still be drawing on paper? Or going digital for all the art now?
Scott started transitioning off of paper with the conclusion of Volume 9. Atomic Robo now has a paperless production cycle. He found a great workflow after a few weeks of experimentation and he's cranking out the best pages of his career.

The downside is that there are no original pages of art being produced going forward. But maybe that'll help to get some of the older pages sold. And there are other options. Like: maybe if there's a Patreon and you toss $50 or $100 at us for one month, you'll get to commission some original art from Scott.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Hyperactive posted:

Scott started transitioning off of paper with the conclusion of Volume 9. Atomic Robo now has a paperless production cycle. He found a great workflow after a few weeks of experimentation and he's cranking out the best pages of his career.

The downside is that there are no original pages of art being produced going forward. But maybe that'll help to get some of the older pages sold. And there are other options. Like: maybe if there's a Patreon and you toss $50 or $100 at us for one month, you'll get to commission some original art from Scott.

Patreon huh? I may have to look over at that when I have some spare cash, I still kick myself for not jumping on the page of Dr. Dinosaur fleeing in the tiny car from CERN. :(

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Is this why when I looked at the FCBD list I didn't see Robo?

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

Len posted:

Is this why when I looked at the FCBD list I didn't see Robo?
Yup!

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

I'm still trying to catch up on all the existing issues. Is there a reliable checklist?

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Hyperactive posted:

Fun Fact: DIamond made it almost impossible to buy Atomic Robo in the UK for years. Because, Diamond claimed, the demand for it in the UK didn't warrant listing it for the UK. Mind you, if something isn't listed, then you can't order it, so it looks like there's no demand. Fuckin' brilliant.

This happened to me. Exactly this. Got a good dozen people reading Atomic Robo, go to the FLCS, get told Diamond won't make it available because they don't have any orders because it isn't available to order.

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

Mister Kingdom posted:

I'm still trying to catch up on all the existing issues. Is there a reliable checklist?
There are nine volumes.

Every volume has 5 issues except the first one has six and the fourth one has four.

That's the checklist.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Hyperactive posted:

There are nine volumes.

Every volume has 5 issues except the first one has six and the fourth one has four.

That's the checklist.

Cool, thanks.

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

http://www.atomic-robo.com/state-of-the-robo-2015-edition/

And there we go. I don't think I can wait any longer for Ring of Fire. :(

EDIT: Which reminds me... Hyperactive, are you going to upload the FCBD 2014 issue at the site soon?

Mitama fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Jan 18, 2015

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

TurninTrix posted:

http://www.atomic-robo.com/state-of-the-robo-2015-edition/

And there we go. I don't think I can wait any longer for Ring of Fire. :(
Too bad! You gotta wait until May. On the bright side, that's when the first issue would've come out if we were still doing print. But maybe reposting everything along with whatever bonus crap we come up with will help the time pass.

quote:

EDIT: Which reminds me... Hyperactive, are you going to upload the FCBD 2014 issue at the site soon?
Whoops. Yeah, it'll go into the update rotation with everything else. I think we're gonna sneak FCBD in between volumes. We'll get there!

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

quote:

The webcomic is the new issue and it’s free.
Okay, that I did not expect. :stare: I automatically assumed it would be some sort of paysite although now that I think of it, not sure how I assumed that would work. This is amazing news, getting issues here in Europeland was always a bit of a pain.

Actually! Back in the 8BT days you asked me to do a little bit of translation for Vol. 2 - if you're uploading the old issues now, any chance of (or need for) fixing a very inconsequential gaff that's staring me in the face now every time I read it? :v:

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

My Lovely Horse posted:

Actually! Back in the 8BT days you asked me to do a little bit of translation for Vol. 2 - if you're uploading the old issues now, any chance of (or need for) fixing a very inconsequential gaff that's staring me in the face now every time I read it? :v:
Easily done. What's up?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

It's in issue 3, page 2 - that Laufpanzer guy probably shouldn't be calling Skorzeny "Oberst." The real Skorzeny was Hauptsturmführer at that point in time, the comic version is Sturmbannführer according to his insignia; either one is what they'd address him as, I think. Hope you can change the speech balloon! :v:

(The modern, shorter equivalents would be Hauptmann and Major, in case you can't. Neither is historically correct but it's a great deal better than a rank four steps above.)

he said, :spergin:ly

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!
A few Robo things:

1. Apparently I didn't mention it before, but I got my Kickstarter stuff a couple months ago and it is all absolutely fantastic. I'm looking forward to being able to buy more Robo merch in the future.

2. How does Patreon work? If, say, I was to back it now would I be charged immediately or does it only start taking effect the first of the following month? They have a few FAQs on billing but I'm not very smart and figured I'd ask people who might have experience.

3. The $50 and $100 levels, those are one time only rewards, right? You're not going to force Scott to do a new commission for up to ten people every month, right?

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

1. Good!

2. I don't have experience with it because this is our first run. I believe you are billed at the end of the current month.

3. The ideal for us is that there would be 10 people who want to spend $50 or $100 to get some original art. But it would be a different 10 people every month so no one is spending too much.

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

Now featuring a website that works!

Volume 1 starts here. The first FCBD went up on Friday but then the site crashed so you might've missed it. The newest issue technically doesn't start until Monday, but we put it up tonight to celebrate getting this thing fixed so fast.

Lastly! Check out the issue-by-issue breakdown in the archives.

Blind Melon
Jan 3, 2006
I like fire, you can have some too.
What's the deal with How I Killed Your Master? I was loving that back when it was updating.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Hyperactive posted:

It's old-ish news but not terribly big, so it was easy to miss. We did a little interview about it a couple weeks back and the response from Phantom fans is the most concentrated grognardiness I've been exposed to in my career.

I understand their apprehension, but it's pretty funny to be looked at suspiciously as a guy who cannot deliver fun pulp adventures.

Meanwhile there seems to be some controversy over whether or not we can print these comics. I have NO INSIGHT into this matter. All I know is: I'm writing scripts, staying on deadline, and they're paying me. Might just be a bunch of corporate bluster.

Hey! It came out! And the hook of who the Phantom is is kinda neat. Though I say this as someone who hasn't read Kings Watch (even though I love Jeff Parker) but grew up with Defenders of the Earth VHS's... I loved DotE's version of Lothar as a kind of Indiana Jones type adventurer. It filled in a gap among the other three main heroes. (Flash is sci-fi, Mandrake is more urban fantasy a la the Shadow, the Phantom is vaguely spiritual, and Lothar's this dude that kicks down tomb doors to see what's what.) But making him the Phantom is cool.

BooDoug187
Apr 8, 2005

Don't you fear the yetis in Rio?
Cool seeing you guys going the digital route and releasing the old stuff a web comics. Quick question: Will new issues be released on digital comics apps like Comixology or will it only be released as web comics? If still being released on Comixology I guess I will start my first subscription on the service!

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

Gaz-L posted:

Hey! It came out! And the hook of who the Phantom is is kinda neat. Though I say this as someone who hasn't read Kings Watch (even though I love Jeff Parker) but grew up with Defenders of the Earth VHS's... I loved DotE's version of Lothar as a kind of Indiana Jones type adventurer. It filled in a gap among the other three main heroes. (Flash is sci-fi, Mandrake is more urban fantasy a la the Shadow, the Phantom is vaguely spiritual, and Lothar's this dude that kicks down tomb doors to see what's what.) But making him the Phantom is cool.
Thanks! It's been a lot of fun to work with this series and Lothar specifically. He was my favorite part of Kings Watch, so when he got Phantom-ized in there (spoiler?) I was totally on board.

And let's be real. It's 2015 and we don't need another white guy to be The Phantom.

BooDoug187 posted:

Cool seeing you guys going the digital route and releasing the old stuff a web comics. Quick question: Will new issues be released on digital comics apps like Comixology or will it only be released as web comics? If still being released on Comixology I guess I will start my first subscription on the service!
Atomic Robo has always been on comiXology. Technically, Atomic Robo has been on comiXology more than any other title -- we were the first comic entered into their database all those years ago. You can get them right here. For the new content, we'll definitely sell collections through comiXology and probably issues, but we're not 100% on those.

BooDoug187
Apr 8, 2005

Don't you fear the yetis in Rio?

Hyperactive posted:

Atomic Robo has always been on comiXology. Technically, Atomic Robo has been on comiXology more than any other title -- we were the first comic entered into their database all those years ago. You can get them right here. For the new content, we'll definitely sell collections through comiXology and probably issues, but we're not 100% on those.

I know you guys are on comixology, just wondered how things are going to be now that you guy's left Diamond.

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

BooDoug187 posted:

I know you guys are on comixology, just wondered how things are going to be now that you guy's left Diamond.
Then you're in luck, we'll still be there.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
Finished reading volume 9:

Robo, nooo!

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Hey, if anyone's going to be at PAX East, come to the Games On Demand booth in the Tabletop area; I'm going to be running (among other things) the Atomic Robo RPG at various points over the weekend.

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

Finished reading volume 9:

Robo, nooo!
If you were a Patron you'd see some concept art about what happens next!

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Hyperactive posted:

If you were a Patron you'd see some concept art about what happens next!

Well fortunately for me, I just happen to be! Gosh, EVERYONE should be a patron of Atomic Robo!

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

Well fortunately for me, I just happen to be! Gosh, EVERYONE should be a patron of Atomic Robo!

I hope to be soon. I would feel bad not paying for Robo.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Speaking of giving you money, Brian, when is the Volume 9 collection coming out?

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

Evil Mastermind posted:

Speaking of giving you money, Brian, when is the Volume 9 collection coming out?
Two weeks ago. Or one week ago. Depends on your shop because *~Diamond~*

Amazon may still be listing it as out of print or unavailable or something because *~Diamond~*

But your local shop should be able to order it for you regardless. Or Midtown Comics. The collected edition doesn't seem to be at ComiXology and I'm not sure why.

Len posted:

I hope to be soon. I would feel bad not paying for Robo.
In the meantime, just read what we put online and make sure you're not blocking our ads. In aggregate it generates money out of the ether.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Hyperactive posted:

Amazon may still be listing it as out of print or unavailable or something because *~Diamond~*

But your local shop should be able to order it for you regardless. Or Midtown Comics. The collected edition doesn't seem to be at ComiXology and I'm not sure why.

In the meantime, just read what we put online and make sure you're not blocking our ads. In aggregate it generates money out of the ether.

Will do. There's a bunch of Robo I don't own anyway. Sometime I plan to buy the RPG probably at Gencon and the second you announce when I can get an oversized hardback (I think you've mentioned those are on the way) I'll have them preordered.

Isn't there supposed to be a Robo movie?

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Hyperactive posted:

This is entirely true. I thought about getting it from Midtown, but on second thought I called my local shop and they had Three copies left in stock! By the time I got there to pick up my copy, the others were sold, like hotcakes or something like that.

I feel like I've mentioned this before, but it is a crying shame that there are no Atomic Robo Action Figures. This should be rectified, perhaps through a crowd funded source?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

This is entirely true. I thought about getting it from Midtown, but on second thought I called my local shop and they had Three copies left in stock! By the time I got there to pick up my copy, the others were sold, like hotcakes or something like that.

I feel like I've mentioned this before, but it is a crying shame that there are no Atomic Robo Action Figures. This should be rectified, perhaps through a crowd funded source?

A stretch goal could be an Evil Computer Playset

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

Good to hear!

quote:

Oh, wheels are in motion.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Hyperactive posted:

Oh, nice. I'll have to start bugging them next time I can head in.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Hyperactive posted:

Good to hear!

Oh, wheels are in motion.

I can only hope they're right proper fun action figures and not throwbacks to the 80's where they have like...four points of articulation.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Len posted:

I can only hope they're right proper fun action figures and not throwbacks to the 80's where they have like...four points of articulation.

Yes Please. I anxiously await further details to throw my money at you, Hyperactive.

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

Len posted:

Can't say either way at this stage!

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Hyperactive posted:

Can't say either way at this stage!

If I might make a suggestion... https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/813878470/boss-fight-studios-vitruvian-hacks-action-figures These were pretty awesome.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I won't buy any Robo action figures unless there's so many points of articulation that it looks like it was shattered int 100 pieces and poorly glued back together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Lurdiak posted:

I won't buy any Robo action figures unless there's so many points of articulation that it looks like it was shattered int 100 pieces and poorly glued back together.

Counterpoint:

This one just works better than the older ones you posted, the articulation isn't as obtrusive, but it poses really well.

• Locked thread