Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Etrips posted:

Anyone use Decalgirl skins? Might think of picking one up since the gloss is driving me bonkers.

I have one on my ps4 that makes it look like an NES.

Never used any other decals to compare, but I thinks it's great. Looks hood, easy to apply. Now that I see they're making them I will get a 3ds if I see one I like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

noirstronaut posted:

Aren't DecalGirl skins just shiny vinyls anyway?

You can get them in matte or gloss.

Oh snap, Xenoblade skin

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Etrips posted:

You can get them in matte or gloss.

Oh snap, Xenoblade skin

And there it is.

I knew any of the clip cases posted would eventually be available in decal form. I got the black nu3dsxl because I figured it would match with whatever better then the red one.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

noirstronaut posted:

Stemming from this, what's a really good RPG that I can easily sink my teeth into and waste hours on?

Radiant Historia for DS, was the best RPG I played in years before I played Xenoblade.

There's also Fantasy Life, 100+ hour game if you want to do most things...grindy but in a good way.

katkillad2 fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Feb 23, 2015

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Crimson Shroud is an RPG that's only $5 on the eShop, made by Level-5, has gorgeous graphics, and basically plays like a cross between a visual novel (well written, even) and an oldschool D&D module. And it has a pretty complex system to boot. I have no idea why it doesn't get mentioned more, other than being a 2 year old game buried in the eShop.

Also, Wind Waker 3D. Make it happen, Nintendo. For the love of God.

e: in Crimson Shroud you literally roll virtual dice! :iia:

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

precision posted:

Crimson Shroud is an RPG that's only $5 on the eShop, made by Level-5, has gorgeous graphics, and basically plays like a cross between a visual novel (well written, even) and an oldschool D&D module. And it has a pretty complex system to boot. I have no idea why it doesn't get mentioned more, other than being a 2 year old game buried in the eShop.

I've been meaning to check this out, didn't know it had plot elements as well.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

I played it for a while, but I got stuck when I had visited all the rooms and done everything and could not find a trigger to advance.

I couldn't find any guides online either so I put the game down and never looked back.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

noirstronaut posted:

Stemming from this, what's a really good RPG that I can easily sink my teeth into and waste hours on?

Etrian Odyssey is often on sale for like $15 on the eshop and is my favorite 3DS RPG hands-down.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Guys, what the hell does Guild0x mean? Like, what is Guild01, then 02 etc etc.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

noirstronaut posted:

Guys, what the hell does Guild0x mean? Like, what is Guild01, then 02 etc etc.

The series of releases. Guild01 is set of 4 games and 02 is another set.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guild_(series)

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Bombadilillo posted:

I played it for a while, but I got stuck when I had visited all the rooms and done everything and could not find a trigger to advance.

I couldn't find any guides online either so I put the game down and never looked back.

Same here, but I was also getting my rear end wrecked and handed back to me and doing, at times, max 4 damage on some enemies so either the game is really hard or I'm horrible at it and don't understand how it works.

It's really fun though for a $5 game.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

If I'm remembering right there are like two or three distinct points in Crimson Shroud where, yeah, the trail goes totally cold and you have no idea how to advance. The answers to those situations are also obscure and dumb enough that there is zero shame in looking it up. It's definitely a unique game worth playing, but with the caveat of using a guide for those egregious, game-halting moments.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Well someone enterprising took it upon themselves to make skins for the New 3DS XL based upon the New 3DS plates:

http://tinycartridge.com/post/111885485697/cover-plates-reproduced-as-new-3ds-xl-skins

Lawsuit in 3, 2, 1?

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

katkillad2 posted:

Radiant Historia for DS, was the best RPG I played in years before I played Xenoblade.

can someone tell me something more about what makes this game so good?

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
If I had to choose between Attack of the Friday Monsters and Crimson Shroud, which would be recommended?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

noirstronaut posted:

If I had to choose between Attack of the Friday Monsters and Crimson Shroud, which would be recommended?

Do you like Ultraman and shows of its ilk or D&D?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Davincie posted:

It has a really excellent story about time travel, exploring two alternate timelines and solving problems to try and make history go better. The battle system is unique - battles take place with enemies on a 3x3 grid, and various attacks damage rows or columns, or leave traps on specific squares. A lot of moves involve moving the enemies around so that you can damage more of them with a single attack. All the party members play a major role in the plot and have their own dedicated and fleshed out sidequests.

Really what more could you want from an RPG? It's great, go play it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

noirstronaut posted:

They're both good. Attack of the Friday Monsters is charming but there's almost no "game" to it, you just wander around a little village a lot and talk to people while collecting little glowing orbs and occasionally playing a card game that has almost zero skill to it.

Basically the two couldn't be more different if they tried so it's hard to recommend one over the other.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Davincie posted:

Regy Rusty posted:

It has a really excellent story about time travel, exploring two alternate timelines and solving problems to try and make history go better. The battle system is unique - battles take place with enemies on a 3x3 grid, and various attacks damage rows or columns, or leave traps on specific squares. A lot of moves involve moving the enemies around so that you can damage more of them with a single attack. All the party members play a major role in the plot and have their own dedicated and fleshed out sidequests.

Really what more could you want from an RPG? It's great, go play it.

Additionally, I liked how there were a number of bosses who were specifically immune to some of the movement/trap bullshit you could figure out to blow through enemies that were much much stronger than you. Even so, the only thing I found bad abotu that game is that by the time you reach the end you will likely have broken combat so badly that it doesn't pose any challenge, namely waiting until you have 10+ turns in a row and taking the time to make a perfect order of one dude knocking every enemy into a single square or setting up a huge combo multiplier before unloading with your expensive high damage spells.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Does Radiant Historia have random battles? I just realized that the only RPGs I like (Chrono Trigger, Earthbound, Mother 3, Mario RPGs) don't have them.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

SeANMcBAY posted:

Does Radiant Historia have random battles? I just realized that the only RPGs I like (Chrono Trigger, Earthbound, Mother 3, Mario RPGs) don't have them.

No, they're like those games in that the enemies are on screen, so you can avoid them most of the time.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

SeANMcBAY posted:

It works identically to those games - you see them on the overworld and touch them to start a battle. In fact, Radiant Historia has several different skills that are used on the overworld specifically to avoid battles if you just need to run through an area. It's great.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Oh my God gently caress this spider boss in Luigi's Mansion. I'm normally not Bad At Video Games and this is only the first boss. Do they just get worse from here on out? Because god drat this thing is a fucker.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

precision posted:

Oh my God gently caress this spider boss in Luigi's Mansion. I'm normally not Bad At Video Games and this is only the first boss. Do they just get worse from here on out? Because god drat this thing is a fucker.

That's actually the best boss in the game. The rest of the boss fights get so much worse and not fun.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Downloaded Castlevania III, Oracle of Seasons and Oracle of Ages for this rainy day.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Dr. Fetus posted:

That's actually the best boss in the game. The rest of the boss fights get so much worse and not fun.

The one in the snow mansion is the worst.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

LordHippoman posted:

It is the most anticlimactic and "womp womp wommmmp" thing when (Bravely Default Ending Spoilers) There's a huge multi-phase boss battle, a giant cutscene where all your friends and alternate dimension you's blow the villain the gently caress out, you get into the last phase...and he gets off a lucky Divergence/Armageddon combo and oneshots your entire party

There's always Youtube, i guess.

Look at this scrublord getting damaged by the endboss. :smug:

Healbot fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Feb 24, 2015

Death Priest
Jun 24, 2004

precision posted:

Oh my God gently caress this spider boss
Amusingly enough, this also applies to Radiant Historia.

citizenlowell
Sep 25, 2003

ignore alien orders
Did Nintendo not release charging cradles for n3DS XL in the US? I'd like one, but the only ones I've seen are Japanese imports being sold by Amazon resellers. Is there a better way to get one?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

citizenlowell posted:

Did Nintendo not release charging cradles for n3DS XL in the US? I'd like one, but the only ones I've seen are Japanese imports being sold by Amazon resellers. Is there a better way to get one?

Ebay for 20-ish bucks.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Healbot posted:

Look at this scrublord getting damaged by the endboss. :smug:

As a fellow abuser of the Spiritmaster/Swordmaster combo, I wonder how the hell that fight is beatable with anything but. So. Many. Stages to the fight.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Death Priest posted:

Amusingly enough, this also applies to Radiant Historia.

That was the exact moment I quit. I just couldn't beat it. I do intend to get back to it someday.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Detective No. 27 posted:

That was the exact moment I quit. I just couldn't beat it. I do intend to get back to it someday.

Had trouble with a spider boss, eh?

Which one? :twisted:

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Fryhtaning posted:

As a fellow abuser of the Spiritmaster/Swordmaster combo, I wonder how the hell that fight is beatable with anything but. So. Many. Stages to the fight.

I found a Dark Knight/Swordmaster combo that was unstoppable. Swordmaster had life drain, and a lot of the Dark Knight skills had powerful moves that drained 1/4 to 1/2 of your own HP per use. The combo filled you right up every single time while unleashing hell. Except against undead I think which killed you outright.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Dr. Fetus posted:

Between the bosses and the mission layouts instead of one big mansion Dark Moon ended up a real disappointment for me. Also he doesn't hum along anymore!

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Does Link Between Worlds take time to ramp up? Maybe my tastes have changed* since the days of LttP but I'm not really too engaged with it so far (admittedly only having been through one and a half dungeons).

*for the much worse if so :smith:

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
I don't think it's as great as people say it is, but I think that's mostly because I'm a fan of 3D Zelda's and this game is some weird mix of the two. I dunno, I expect boring puzzles from 2D Zeldas, I like the boring puzzles, but something about ALBW just didn't hit any nods of nostalgia for me.

I love Majora's though.

MaxDuo
Aug 13, 2010

Haruharuharuko posted:

I've been trawling the depths of Amazon to find the dumbest poo poo for the 3ds and man I've found some good poo poo.

Make your 3DS look like a stuffed animal for no reason
http://www.amazon.com/DS-style-Protection-Carry-Puppet-Nintendo/dp/B003920QEQ/ref=sr_1_454?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1424596548&sr=1-454

I remember when the 3DS first came out, Amazon had some kind of deal about you could choose 1 free prize from a group of 12 lovely ones. This thing was one of them and a lot of goons were going on about how amazingly dumb it was. I got it with my 3DS, as did a few others I recall... and I posted pictures of the AR cards around it. I seem to recall Mario was positioned like he was loving the bear.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

MaxDuo posted:

Mario was positioned like he was loving the bear.

nice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Hey uhh is there any good way to get black shards in Theatrhythm Curtain Call? I don't even want dumb Sephiroth I just want to have all the characters unlocked. From googling it seems like the only reliable way is to trade maps with somebody on Gamefaqs in 2014. Anyone have a quest map with a bunch of black shards I can snag? Thanks~