Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VarXX
Oct 31, 2009

Black Baby Goku posted:

496,909 1,263,992 Dota 2
101,660 454,373 Counter-Strike: Global Offensive
37,831 88,480 Team Fortress 2
23,275 59,075 Sid Meier's Civilization V
18,877 53,179 The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
18,752 65,148 Garry's Mod
16,334 73,802 Football Manager 2015
13,566 27,544 H1Z1
12,995 27,675 Warframe
8,800 37,807 Arma 3
8,196 28,760 DayZ
8,024 26,232 Total War: ATTILA
7,903 22,206 Robocraft
7,568 21,748 War Thunder
7,180 34,271 Counter-Strike
7,048 24,158 Total War: ROME II - Emperor Edition
6,366 16,718 Terraria
5,975 13,413 Left 4 Dead 2
5,786 12,397 The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth
5,248 21,942 Space Engineers
5,189 15,847 Rust
5,009 21,737 Counter-Strike: Source
4,924 17,315 Unturned
4,722 13,285 Borderlands 2
4,716 13,726 PAYDAY 2
4,346 14,397 Mount & Blade: Warband
4,300 15,513 Dying Light
4,275 9,924 Starbound
4,034 11,188 Evolve

:yikes:

Can you give me this in chart form please

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prawned
Oct 25, 2010

RottenK posted:

it year 2015 of our lord and savior jesus christ, and people in Games still freak out when they are not allowed to build a hugbox

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->

The only stats that matter. Got my money's worth even if the player-count continues tanking. And I've barely played Monster at all yet!

Vax
Dec 29, 2011

delicious!

jerkstoresup posted:

The only stats that matter. Got my money's worth even if the player-count continues tanking. And I've barely played Monster at all yet!

As long as you get a cinema visit worth of playtime back from your money spend it's worth the enternainment imho.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
Dotes 2 is the best digital media ever created and Football Manager has been GOTY since they added Messi.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Do any of you goons play regularly on PC?

Add me please. I need a steady relationship - not these pubbies that run after being eaten alive 2 rounds in a row.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/ameatpopsicle/

I sincerely want to run into a team that gives wraith a hard time because I have yet to discover it.
The worst I've had is getting caught level 1 in a dome - which was a matter of juking around and eating wildlife scraps to stay armored. Also managed to eat a tracking dart which made things livelier.
But then.. there's -always- someone out of position waiting to be abducted. Usually the medic on some outcropping to keep LOS on his friends.
Always someone that breaks LOS with his team and gets pouncetackled while his friends catch up. Usually the assault chasing me around a corner.
I don't care that you resurrect your medic - while you do that I murder your trapper. While you rez trapper, I move on to support - and by then they die permanently and I can just eat the little fleshbags at my leisure.
Nothing gives me more delight than eating a dead hunter for armor while his friends watch (usually from incap state) :3

That said I would love to play on a good hunter team, too - most of the time I get defaulted into the assault role, which is fine by me. Big man lightning gun and mines.
Playing hunter -is- horrendously more difficult than monster, but the satisfaction of hounding some beast to death, whittling down its armor and catching it in an early rage-cage is rather incomparable.
But it would be nice to get a team going!

DarkDobe fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Feb 24, 2015

brother-joseph
Jan 1, 2009

:lol:MARINES:lol:
I would also really like to play with goons on PS4 if anyone wants to add me. Same PSN ID as my name here; I put it in the Google doc as well. Won't be on until the weekend though.

And also :laffo: at all the crappy trappers who can't contain the wraith. The dome isn't meant to be the only trap you have. Stasis grenades work better than the harpoon and traps but all three can lock that guy down if you're working together. Of course you still need to talk and use the buddy system so she doesn't devour the trapper right away but that is the case with the entire game. idk maybe I'm a scrub and haven't gotten high enough level yet to play good monsters but it hasn't been a problem for me.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

DarkDobe posted:

Do any of you goons play regularly on PC?
:words: about pub stomping.
Don't forget that if you have 5 players, you can always just play each other. I find it kinda odd nobody tries to start parties that round-robin the monster. I have fun just playing the game, I don't really have a need to find pubs to stomp.
Also don't forget the Steam group: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/evolvedgoons/

Prawned
Oct 25, 2010

Vax posted:

As long as you get a cinema visit worth of playtime back from your money spend it's worth the enternainment imho.

You pay $60 for a movie?

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer
It took Titanfall 6 months to drop to $5 so I'm hopeful I'll get to try evolve before it's completely dead.

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

DaveKap posted:

Don't forget that if you have 5 players, you can always just play each other. I find it kinda odd nobody tries to start parties that round-robin the monster. I have fun just playing the game, I don't really have a need to find pubs to stomp.
Also don't forget the Steam group: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/evolvedgoons/

We set up a custom lobby with random game mode, and it asks everyone to pick a role (including monster) every game. Everyone gets a chance to be whatever and you can be sure to get a pretty even spread on the skills. That's why I feel like some of the mechanics are a bit punishing: everyone we play with can stomp poo poo as the wraith in a way they don't with the other monsters and everybody gives a wraith-pick a lot of grief for being a scrublord.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Eldercain posted:

We set up a custom lobby with random game mode, and it asks everyone to pick a role (including monster) every game. Everyone gets a chance to be whatever and you can be sure to get a pretty even spread on the skills. That's why I feel like some of the mechanics are a bit punishing: everyone we play with can stomp poo poo as the wraith in a way they don't with the other monsters and everybody gives a wraith-pick a lot of grief for being a scrublord.

Lets be fair, goons need at least one griefy option.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i only play multiplayer games where i can make my opponents cry

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

unironically

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

Liquid Penguins posted:

It took Titanfall 6 months to drop to $5 so I'm hopeful I'll get to try evolve before it's completely dead.
To be fair, it might not die off as quick as Titanfall, if only because it actually has a co-op mode of sorts. Granted it's only evacuation with a AI monster, but it'll still rip you apart if you're stuck with a :downs: team.

I also noticed something, having seen both victory cutscenes from Evacuation, the victory cutscene for the Hunters is hilarious because it heavily implies they all probably die anyway because they're surrounded and even more monsters are advancing on them. :toot:

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

limited posted:

I also noticed something, having seen both victory cutscenes from Evacuation, the victory cutscene for the Hunters is hilarious because it heavily implies they all probably die anyway because they're surrounded and even more monsters are advancing on them. :toot:

No, only civilians can die like that. Sure the Hunters will be ripped to shreds or whatever but they'll come back alive on their Magic Resurrection Dropship and they can fly home.

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

Chomp8645 posted:

No, only civilians can die like that. Sure the Hunters will be ripped to shreds or whatever but they'll come back alive on their Magic Resurrection Dropship and they can fly home.
Good point. Not in my canon buddy. :colbert:

Javes
May 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT APPEARING OFFLINE SO I DON'T HAVE TO TELL FRIENDS THEY'RE NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR MY VIDEO GAME TEAM.
Contemplating picking this game up, is there a goon console of choice or are most of you on PC?

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I've literally never seen the "console or PC" question answered with anything but "PC."

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Yeah that question mattered in the 90s and earlier because each system would effectively have the game made from scratch specifically for it so there would be some substantial differences. It's not like the PS4 version is going to have a way better soundtrack or different main characters or whatever. Even as someone who mostly games on consoles if I had a powerful PC I'd just have that and a Wii U.

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out
I personally don't understand anyone who plays first person games with twiddly knobs, but yeah if you're one of those folks what prefers that go for the console version.

Also Aerith rule applies here: it only counts in cinematics.

psyman
Nov 1, 2008

Eldercain posted:

I personally don't understand anyone who plays first person games with twiddly knobs, but yeah if you're one of those folks what prefers that go for the console version.

Also Aerith rule applies here: it only counts in cinematics.

If I had a decent gaming rig I'd be playing the PC version with a 360 pad, even though I can aim fine with a mouse. I would also lock the FPS to 30 using Rivatuner.

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out
What exactly is the appeal of a controller for a game like this? I like having one when it comes RPGs and sidescrollers and the like, but what do you do when the monster leaps behind you? Slowly turn around?

I just keep having horrible flashbacks to N64 starcraft

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot
Hey, is there some graph/data somewhere of the Evolve playerbase since launch?

I'm curious how steep of a drop there actually is.

Dol
Feb 16, 2007

Gortarius posted:

Hey, is there some graph/data somewhere of the Evolve playerbase since launch?

I'm curious how steep of a drop there actually is.

https://steamdb.info/app/273350/graphs/
Here you go.

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot

Thanks.

Whoa, doesn't look good, does it?

Dol
Feb 16, 2007

Sadly, no.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Eldercain posted:

What exactly is the appeal of a controller for a game like this? I like having one when it comes RPGs and sidescrollers and the like, but what do you do when the monster leaps behind you? Slowly turn around?

I just keep having horrible flashbacks to N64 starcraft

I find 3rd persons stuff to be easier with a controller in general, but I'd never use one to play a hunter.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Kind of wish I bought more DS games instead of evolve

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
Y'all know you don't need 100k+ people to play something online, right? Welcome to everything that isn't LoL/CoD/CS. It turns out people still play games on the internet even when there isn't the 50k or 80k or whatever size playerbase you need to be instantly matched up with equally skilled folks.

Hi, my name is broseph and I'm a badgamesaholic. I used to be more socially involved with the cool kids playing Quake and Halo in their heyday. The years went by and I didn't have a lot of money and someone gave me some leftover PC parts and got me hooked on Dawn of War. By Dawn of War 2 it just wasn't the same like it used to be and I thought I could break the habit but I just kept jumping and clinging to other verge of death experiences like Crysis 2, L4D2, Section 8, and Titanfall. And here I am today, playing Evolve, unable to get my life in order enough to get the benefits to belonging to a proper society, one with a rich robust population. Somewhere like Football Manager 2015.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
It's above CoD:AW in number of players. About average for a multiplayer game.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tenzarin posted:

It's above CoD:AW in number of players. About average for a multiplayer game.

Call of duty has been out for 6 months. Where do you think this game will be in 6? Lol

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

teh_Broseph posted:

Y'all know you don't need 100k+ people to play something online, right? Welcome to everything that isn't LoL/CoD/CS. It turns out people still play games on the internet even when there isn't the 50k or 80k or whatever size playerbase you need to be instantly matched up with equally skilled folks.

Hi, my name is broseph and I'm a badgamesaholic. I used to be more socially involved with the cool kids playing Quake and Halo in their heyday. The years went by and I didn't have a lot of money and someone gave me some leftover PC parts and got me hooked on Dawn of War. By Dawn of War 2 it just wasn't the same like it used to be and I thought I could break the habit but I just kept jumping and clinging to other verge of death experiences like Crysis 2, L4D2, Section 8, and Titanfall. And here I am today, playing Evolve, unable to get my life in order enough to get the benefits to belonging to a proper society, one with a rich robust population. Somewhere like Football Manager 2015.

thehomemaster
Jul 16, 2014

by Ralp

teh_Broseph posted:

This but unironically.

God I wish more people had played Section 8.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I need 100,000 players online to play my 5/6 multiplayer game and so I can say I play popular games to be Kool.

comatose
Nov 23, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Black Baby Goku posted:

Call of duty has been out for 6 months. Where do you think this game will be in 6? Lol

psyman
Nov 1, 2008

teh_Broseph posted:

Playing the latest verge of death multiplayer game is a way of life :colbert:. Just as Evolve now carries the torch that Titanfall once proudly held, so too will a new game come along in time and take up the mantle. I'm predicting Rainbow Six: Siege.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Jesus christ. decided I would try out evacuation for the first time and just wiped the floor with kraken. 4 wins in a row before the other team all quit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thehomemaster
Jul 16, 2014

by Ralp
Good experience...

...but maybe not a...

...GOOD experience!

• Locked thread